11-19-2021, 05:07 PM   #67
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthuar View Post
...then, if I had understood correctly I must change the numeric values inserted in Byte 0, 1, 2 Right?!
That said, these number must be of a special kind or..I mean, like 10, 20 30 or I can fill them as 18, 21, 25?
Thanks for ur passion
Without seeing the numerical values that are for your model...I don't know what to say. I don't remember exactly which BMW model you have...but if its not an f15 or f85...don't try to use the numbers you see in the pics above. You must use the numerical values for your model. Can you take a pic of the two screens that would be equal to the 2 pics above that are for your model and post it?

For the F15 & F85...we basically slowed the tailgate down (just prior to closure) by changing Byte 1 & Byte 2...Byte 0 was kept the same to keep enough movement for the tailgate to latch.

(hope my reply makes sense).

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-19-2021 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 02:33 PM   #68
CaliX6M
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 M

I see only F15&F85, has anyone tried this on F86 using the F85 input?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 04:53 PM   #69
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliX6M View Post
I see only F15&F85, has anyone tried this on F86 using the F85 input?
If you look at the images in two posts above (#69)...you can see a screen shot of the Bimmercode app that lists the F15 (X5), F85(X5M) and the F16 (X6) coding parameters for the tail gate on the left side.

Note that the parameters are DIFFERENT...so no, I would not use the F85 codes.

But...this gist of this thread is...the tailgate SLAMS with a THUNK due to it moving to fast before it closes. The successful coding SLOWS the tail gate down before closing.

So even if you don't have the exact coding for an F16...if you look at the exisiting parameters and see that the last 3 or 4 are the same or close...if you LOWER those numbers...it will slow down the tailgate to help prevent the THUNK and allow the soft-close to occur as intended.

If you're comfortable with coding...again, try lowering the coding parameters just prior to closing (especially if they are all the same or very close)...and lower them. If the tail gate slows down TOO much...the raise the last one or the one just prior to the last one...so that the tailgate has enough force to close without a thunk.

Good luck...if you have success...then post back to update the thread and let other F16/F95 X6/X6M owners aware of worked for you.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 10:52 AM   #70
bmwx5nyc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
Just coded it on my 2016. Curious is tweaking it will make it even softer?
no but the downside of this code is that the tailgate will become a little more open, you could air coming in from the trunk when your driving inside, it's too small of an opening for anyone to see but still.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 01:55 PM   #71
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5nyc View Post
no but the downside of this code is that the tailgate will become a little more open, you could air coming in from the trunk when your driving inside, it's too small of an opening for anyone to see but still.
??? I got lost on this one. If the tail gate has the soft close feature and the auto closing tailgate...I'm not seeing how changing the speed of the tailgate's closing will leave a gap as long as the soft close feature is still pulling the tailgate closed.

If I were to close the tailgate by hand and gently pushed it until the softclose actuator engaged and pulled the tailgate shut...would there be an opening for air to escape? If not, slowing the auto-closing of the tailgate is basically doing the same thing...instead of slamming it closed...it slows it down to a softer close.

If the latches were readjusted...then I could see how things may not align correctly thus making the two panels not seal properly...but if the latches are in the same location and the soft close feature has not been tampered with...slowing down the speed of the tailgate to prevent it from slamming shut and causing the "THUNK" shouldn't affect the seal between the two panels.

Again, perhaps I'm missing something in your scenario...and I'm open for correction/enlightenment.

Appreciate 1
      03-08-2022, 04:12 AM   #72
afropelican
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 F15 30D xDrive MSport

Thanks OP for the guide.

I'd agree with you Q silver 7 - as long as the soft close feature is engaging, there should be no difference in gap unless there is an alignment issue.

On a side note -
I played around with byte spacing to make the 'steps' between speed reduction less noticeable. I have been using these without issues for the past few months, using the tailgate 4x a day minimum without issues.

Pasted below incase it helps anyone.
The settings I found work best for me - and have been using for the past three months are:
BYTE 0: 0x26
BYTE 1: 0x32
BYTE 2: 0x3A
BYTE 3: 0x42
BYTE 4: 0x42
BYTE 5: 0x4A
BYTE 6: 0x4A
BYTE 7: 0x4D
BYTE 8: 0x4D
Appreciate 3
      03-09-2022, 09:25 PM   #73
Fab's
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i (& M3 E92 for sale)

After trying multiple options and all the possible progressive slowing down, I landed with a very simple one, that does a super soft closing, no need for complicated.

For 2014 F15 X5 5.0 with M body pack (if that changes anything).

BYTE 0: 0x1A
BYTE 1: 0x4D
BYTE 2: 0x4D
BYTE 3: 0x4D
BYTE 4: 0x4D
BYTE 5: 0x4D
BYTE 6: 0x4D

Last edited by Fab's; 03-10-2022 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: Added car reference as suggested
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2022, 08:38 AM   #74
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab's View Post
After trying multiple options and all the possible progressive slowing down, I landed with a very simple one, that does a super soft closing, no need for complicated.

BYTE 0: 0x1A
BYTE 1: 0x4D
BYTE 2: 0x4D
BYTE 3: 0x4D
BYTE 4: 0x4D
BYTE 5: 0x4D
BYTE 6: 0x4D
Can you help the forum out by EDITING your post & giving some model year (or build date) information? The coding parameters are different depending on if you have a 2014-2016 model year or a 2017-up model year. Someone in the opposite build date range from you may attempt to use your coding parameters and dink things up due to the difference.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-10-2022 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 3
      03-10-2022, 02:41 PM   #75
Fab's
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i (& M3 E92 for sale)

Done
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 02:51 PM   #76
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab's View Post
Done

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 12:40 PM   #77
bmwx5nyc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Quote:
??? I got lost on this one. If the tail gate has the soft close feature and the auto closing tailgate...I'm not seeing how changing the speed of the tailgate's closing will leave a gap as long as the soft close feature is still pulling the tailgate closed.

If I were to close the tailgate by hand and gently pushed it until the softclose actuator engaged and pulled the tailgate shut...would there be an opening for air to escape? If not, slowing the auto-closing of the tailgate is basically doing the same thing...instead of slamming it closed...it slows it down to a softer close.

If the latches were readjusted...then I could see how things may not align correctly thus making the two panels not seal properly...but if the latches are in the same location and the soft close feature has not been tampered with...slowing down the speed of the tailgate to prevent it from slamming shut and causing the "THUNK" shouldn't affect the seal between the two panels.

Again, perhaps I'm missing something in your scenario...and I'm open for correction/enlightenment.
no if you have the no slam tailgate code like i do, the problem is the left side will be open more slightly then the rite, it happens to a lot of people, but you can barely tell it's open.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 07:01 PM   #78
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
no if you have the no slam tailgate code like i do, the problem is the left side will be open more slightly then the rite, it happens to a lot of people, but you can barely tell it's open.
I’m not sure your scenario is the same that is being discussed in this thread.

You mention you “have a code”…this thread is about “coding” the tailgate to slow down so that it doesn’t make a hard “THUNK”…thus not really “soft closing” because its moving to fast.

The bolder text in your quote reads as if you have a tailgate that is not closing and you’re getting a message from the check control system. There is an issue where many X owners complain of a clunking/rattling tailgate…but this is not the issue being discussed in this thread…this is about a single THUNK when the tailgate closes…not a continuous CLUNKING while driving around.. The clunking issue is generally fixed by adjusting the latches or replacing the rubber bump stops.

The video below shows why this tailgate coding thread is multiple pages long…it affects lots of BMWs with tailgates…but the issue is not a misaligned tailgate…but that it closes too fast with a hard “thunk”:

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-15-2022 at 09:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 08:23 AM   #79
Variante Alta
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d M Sport Metallic Whit

Thanks for this thread! It's very nice to lose the slam when the trunk closes. I only coded (with E-sys) the first byte so the lid moves at the usual speed until close to the closure place where it slows significantly (it's a little jumpy at that point as a result but works fine). I can see gradually slowing it through a graded setting format for a more natural sweep of the trunk lid - doesn't look hard to achieve using the hex coding. Now, add the foot sweep open/close option (anyone done this mod?) and I'd be in trunk heaven!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 12:33 AM   #80
RBhide
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50D F15

Help with coding

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianLurker View Post
Thanks for the additional detail provide - I changed from 00C8 which was an improvement to 00BE which is even better! I also coded both Node1 and Node2 while I was in there for good measure.
Hi there, This is the first time I'm trying to do some coding and would appreciate a little help since you seem to be a pro. Just trying to code the soft close for my F15 2018 X5 50D.
In some of the below sections - ProfileCloseStopNode1PwmPlg, ProfileCloseStopNode2PwmPlg, ProfileCloseStopNode1PosPlg, ProfileCloseStopNode2PosPlg, I cannot see the OOBE or OOC8 option. Do I just enter a custom value and then do the coding. Also what value did you finally use for the 4 sections?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 10:33 AM   #81
Hop74
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 F15

GREAT find. Just did this in 5 minutes thanks to the step by step walk thru and pictures. Very easy for the 2015 models.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 02:30 PM   #82
Variante Alta
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Okay, I tried a couple different settings for my 2015 F15 M Sport 35d today. I'm using E-sys and for this model/year the settings are found in HKFM, search for DREHZAL_SEGMENT_SCHL in 3020. The HEX settings are likely set to 4D (77 in decimal) if you're all in stock form which equates somehow to the speed of the tailgate closure (high number = faster). All I did was use an online HEX to Decimal (and vice versa) calculator to adjust the settings to step down from Byte 8 (the beginning of the downstroke) to setting 0 (right before the tailgate closes). I left Bytes 8 & 7 at 4D (=77 in decimal), changed Bytes 6 & 5 to 37 (55 in decimal), changed Bytes 4 & 3 to 2D (45 in decimal), changed Bytes 2 & 1 to 23 (35 in decimal) and Byte 0 to 1B (27 in decimal). Yes, the numbers were chosen at random. This now provides a gentler transition from full (normal speed) to closure without the slam. It is slower by a couple seconds but avoids the stutter I was getting by only changing Byte 0 to 1B which slows the sweep of the gate very abruptly. Love my X5
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 07:02 PM   #83
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBhide View Post
Quote:
Thanks for the additional detail provide - I changed from 00C8 which was an improvement to 00BE which is even better! I also coded both Node1 and Node2 while I was in there for good measure.
Hi there, This is the first time I'm trying to do some coding and would appreciate a little help since you seem to be a pro. Just trying to code the soft close for my F15 2018 X5 50D.
In some of the below sections - ProfileCloseStopNode1PwmPlg, ProfileCloseStopNode2PwmPlg, ProfileCloseStopNode1PosPlg, ProfileCloseStopNode2PosPlg, I cannot see the OOBE or OOC8 option. Do I just enter a custom value and then do the coding. Also what value did you finally use for the 4 sections?

Thanks
Didn't work on my 2018 either.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2022, 03:48 AM   #84
bmwx5nyc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure your scenario is the same that is being discussed in this thread.

You mention you "have a code"…this thread is about "coding" the tailgate to slow down so that it doesn't make a hard "THUNK"…thus not really "soft closing" because its moving to fast.

The bolder text in your quote reads as if you have a tailgate that is not closing and you're getting a message from the check control system. There is an issue where many X owners complain of a clunking/rattling tailgate…but this is not the issue being discussed in this thread…this is about a single THUNK when the tailgate closes…not a continuous CLUNKING while driving around.. The clunking issue is generally fixed by adjusting the latches or replacing the rubber bump stops.

The video below shows why this tailgate coding thread is multiple pages long…it affects lots of BMWs with tailgates…but the issue is not a misaligned tailgate…but that it closes too fast with a hard "thunk":

alright, im trying to me a good person and inform the people that are new to coding this slam tailgate problem. it will leave your trunk open a little bit. what don't you understand about that?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 03:53 AM   #85
bmwx5nyc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure your scenario is the same that is being discussed in this thread.

You mention you "have a code"…this thread is about "coding" the tailgate to slow down so that it doesn't make a hard "THUNK"…thus not really "soft closing" because its moving to fast.

The bolder text in your quote reads as if you have a tailgate that is not closing and you're getting a message from the check control system. There is an issue where many X owners complain of a clunking/rattling tailgate…but this is not the issue being discussed in this thread…this is about a single THUNK when the tailgate closes…not a continuous CLUNKING while driving around.. The clunking issue is generally fixed by adjusting the latches or replacing the rubber bump stops.

The video below shows why this tailgate coding thread is multiple pages long…it affects lots of BMWs with tailgates…but the issue is not a misaligned tailgate…but that it closes too fast with a hard "thunk":

watch this video to understand what i mean. that video that you linked is old.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 05:05 AM   #86
Variante Alta
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I've coded this to prevent the slam and it works great - the trunk is not left partly open in any way - it's every bit as tightly closed as with the factory setting. Now I have Comfort Acces with soft close doors - the trunk latch seems to operate in a similar fashion to secure the lift gate. Perhaps there is a different lift gate locking mechanism in other F15s without CA & SCD?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 10:41 AM   #87
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
alright, im trying to (be?)me a good person and inform the people that are new to coding this slam tailgate problem. it will leave your trunk open a little bit. what don't you understand about that?
I can totally understand trying to be helpful to the forum…but I still think you are combining two different issues.

Again, the tailgate slam coding should not affect the lift gate and tail gate panels (as explained in the video you posted). If this coding changed the position of the panels and allowed air and wind noise and rattling…then if you reverted the coding, the issue should disappear.

Have you reverted back to the original tailgate coding? If you have, is the issue of uneven panels, wind, air, rattling still present? If yes, then you have an issue that is separate from the “tailgate slam”.

I saw a video not too long ago where a fellow X5 owner adjusted the latches on his lower tailgate to try and solve a rattling issue. His first attempt adjusted the latches incorrectly and prevent the tailgate from closing properly. He then readjusted them a 2nd time which came out better. I’ll try to find that video…perhaps that can help separate the two issues between the “tailgate slam” (fixed with the coding mentioned in this thread) and the “tailgate rattling” (which requires adjusting the latches).

EDIT: here’s the video I referred to above. If your tailgate/lift gate panels are not adjusted correctly…and don’t close properly or there’s a slight gap…then this is a different issue and the tailgate coding will not solve it. But if your panels close properly and the only issue you want to solve is the “slam” when using the auto close feature…then the coding will not leave your tailgate/lift gate open or uneven. It only affects the speed of the closing procedure…which allows the soft-close actuator to actually “soft close” the tailgate.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-28-2022 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 08:39 PM   #88
CanadianLurker
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBhide View Post
Quote:

Thanks
I'll have to get back to you. I don't recall the settings and will have to take a look after this spring cold snap recedes and I can spend some time outside looking at it again.
Appreciate 0