BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #1
bim_power
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

F15 Diesel Fuel Cap Safety

We like the diesel for its torque and towing capacity and fuel economy with less time at the pump is also a plus. Almost ready to finalize our build, but the wife is concerned...

She is concerned of making a mistake of pumping gasoline into the diesel tank. This could be a costly mistake if it ever happens... The SA showed us the diesel fuel cap which clearly marked 'Diesel' and could not offer anymore info.

I want to know if there is a built in safety mechanism to prevent inflow of gasoline into the diesel fuel tank with the F15 X35D or M50D.

I am aware the two fueling guns have different diameters and there are after market safety cap you can retrofit. Can you share your experience and discuss a bit more about how BMW's solution/prevention if any.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
RickP
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp/DCT

Nothing else besides the fuel filler diameter. Don't ever trust the green colored fuel fillers either. I've seen gas stations that have the green for petrol and non-green for diesel. At least in my experience, you'll also find gas stations that have the wrong fuel filler diameter. BMW provides an adapter but beware that the auto-shut off thing will not work and you'll get diesel all over your car and maybe you if you don't turn it off when your tank is full. Good luck!

2011 Frozen Grey E92 M3
http://rpollak.com
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 03:27 PM   #3
someguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

which has a smaller hole (in the vehicle's fuel tank), diesel or gasoline?

someguy
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 10:46 PM   #4
dn325ci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 325Ci

In the US, the Diesel pump nozzle is the same size as the old leaded pump nozzles. When unleaded petrol first came out, the smaller nozzle was invented as a way to stop people from filling up an unleaded-use vehicle with leaded petrol, which would ruin the catalyst. Hence the smaller pump for unleaded.

That does mean it's possible to put an unleaded nozzle in the larger diesel fill hole. However, that turns out to be pretty uncommon for two reasons:

1. Because Diesel is harder to find and Diesel owners are specifically looking for those Diesel pumps all the time, so they generally get it right.

2. if a Diesel owner still makes that mistake after conscientiously looking for the rarer diesel pump, the nozzle is obviously very loose in the filler neck. It doesn't feel right.

I think the fact that your wife is already highly concerned about making that mistake will keep her from making it. She'll be looking for the right things because she already has heightened awareness about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 11:38 PM   #5
bim_power
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dn325ci View Post
I think the fact that your wife is already highly concerned about making that mistake will keep her from making it. She'll be looking for the right things because she already has heightened awareness about it.
The frequency of fueling with the heightened awareness hopefully should avoid those mishaps. I was told by a local mechanic that his shop flushes VW TDI on regular basis years ago before the safety cap in place...

Since we have gasoline in other cars... just have to be extra careful I suppose..

Last edited by bim_power; 01-19-2014 at 07:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 03:07 AM   #6
Eu001939
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 30d MSport and X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickP
Nothing else besides the fuel filler diameter. Don't ever trust the green colored fuel fillers either. I've seen gas stations that have the green for petrol and non-green for diesel. At least in my experience, you'll also find gas stations that have the wrong fuel filler diameter. BMW provides an adapter but beware that the auto-shut off thing will not work and you'll get diesel all over your car and maybe you if you don't turn it off when your tank is full. Good luck!
Funny how internationally we can't even get some basic things aligned: in Europe the pump handle and hose for diesel is black, for unleade it's green ... And in the US it's just the opposite...most of the time.

I'm in the US yearly for work and always need to look out for that first time filling up...
Appreciate 0