BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-15-2014, 08:03 AM   #1
Poindexter
Revenge of the Nerds
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

What does Driver Assistant Plus do?

The description on BMW USA is vague in comparison to other descriptions they have. In a nutshell it basically says it is a guide while you're driving. Does anyone have a more detailed explanation of this feature?

Past Bimmers: E46 M3, E60 M5, and a few Spec E30 race cars
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #2
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
The description on BMW USA is vague in comparison to other descriptions they have. In a nutshell it basically says it is a guide while you're driving. Does anyone have a more detailed explanation of this feature?
Driver Assistance Plus includes several safety features, including lane departure warning, blind spot monitoring, and surround view cameras. It also includes speed limit info which displays the local speed limit in the instrument cluster or HUD. Let me know if you have any specific questions about the features. I recommend the package for X5 buyers.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 09:50 AM   #3
Poindexter
Revenge of the Nerds
United_States
Rep

Thanks AEC, but I think you're referring to Active Driving Assistant.

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 10:20 AM   #4
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

According to the BMW pricing guide, Driver Assistance Plus includes Active Blind Spot Detection, Surround View, Speed Limit Info, and Active Driving Assistant. Active Driving Assistant includes Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision Warning, Pedestrian Warning, and City Collision Mitigation.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
According to the BMW pricing guide, Driver Assistance Plus includes Active Blind Spot Detection, Surround View, Speed Limit Info, and Active Driving Assistant. Active Driving Assistant includes Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision Warning, Pedestrian Warning, and City Collision Mitigation.

In my two month duration, i have experienced only line change, surround view, speed limit info and blind spot. It never prompt or warn when pedestrians are near by or collision mitigation. However, this package is really worth when you consider safety.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #6
ShahiniBmw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC & 2017 x5

My opinion I didn't even bother to get the driver assistance plus package bc I felt like I wouldn't even use it. So I just went with the driver assistant package (1400$). Heads up display and rear view camera hopefully with top view, but if no top view it's fine also.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 01:40 PM   #7
mikikuki7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Searching for X6M or M8

Does anyone know if it does stop the vehicle in case of imminent collision? I've tried it and it only shows a red car and beeps loud.. 😡
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 02:49 PM   #8
deadbuck
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 M Sport

I don't know. I will ask my wife to try it tonight. I will tell her to drive fast towards a wall and see if the car stops itself.

Ps is that a standard feature or an option? I don't think I have it but will find out shortly. Stand by.....

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #9
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikikuki7 View Post
Does anyone know if it does stop the vehicle in case of imminent collision? I've tried it and it only shows a red car and beeps loud.. 😡
ACC will bring you to a stop. With all the electronics, BMW covers the liability by stating system limitations and that these are not substitutes for human judgement.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 04:35 PM   #10
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
Sometimes the German site has more info than US site
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...nce/index.html

Also, the Owners manual gives full explanation.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #11
mikikuki7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Searching for X6M or M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona
Quote:
ACC will bring you to a stop. With all the electronics, BMW covers the liability by stating system limitations and that these are not substitutes for human judgement.
So why have the system if it's not going to help at all?! BMW is not specific when it comes to that. They made me believe that it would stop if there was an imminent treat. It's on their website! How can they just put something it's not true?!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 04:25 AM   #12
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So why have the system if it's not going to help at all?! BMW is not specific when it comes to that. They made me believe that it would stop if there was an imminent treat. It's on their website! How can they just put something it's not true?!
Probably the liability issue that the lawyers insisted on. Any car part can fail especially electronics. Please use all driver assistance systems with caution.
I read that auto park does not work 100%, the errors are listed by BMW.

Per German site
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...l_stop_go.html
Active Cruise Control with Stop&Go function was primarily developed for journeys on motorways and major roads. Three radar sensors with a range of up to 150 metres permanently scan the carriageway in the direction of travel. When you approach a vehicle in front, the engine management and brakes adjust your speed so that the distance is automatically kept constant – and if necessary, the vehicle comes to a standstill.

Per Owners manual:
Personal responsibility The system does not relieve the driver of
the responsibility to adapt his or her speed, distance and driving style to the traffic conditions. Drive attentively, and react to the current
traffic events. Intervene actively when necessary, e.g., by braking, steering or making an evasive maneuver, otherwise, there is danger of an accident.◀
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 07:42 AM   #13
Poindexter
Revenge of the Nerds
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
After reading this and revisiting the 35d configurator things make a lot more sense. Thanks AEC. I think I was just getting hung-up on the placement of where ACC + Stop & Go was located in the list.

BMW builds great cars; not great websites.

I'm good now ....and am doing Plus, Assistance Package, and the ACC Stop & Go. Build is week 6 (mid February) so I should be able to speak more to these features in the next 60 days. Here's the order: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=481

Last edited by Poindexter; 01-16-2014 at 08:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 07:44 PM   #14
ADGrant
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShahiniBMW3391 View Post
My opinion I didn't even bother to get the driver assistance plus package bc I felt like I wouldn't even use it. So I just went with the driver assistant package (1400$). Heads up display and rear view camera hopefully with top view, but if no top view it's fine also.
I have topview in my E70. Not sure I would buy another car without it.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 07:47 PM   #15
ShahiniBmw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC & 2017 x5

Do you think the driver assistant package comes with the top view ? Or just rear view .. I also have it on my e70
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #16
ADGrant
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShahiniBmw View Post
Do you think the driver assistant package comes with the top view ? Or just rear view .. I also have it on my e70
I think it is just rear view. You need the plus for Top View.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 03:14 AM   #17
Eu001939
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 30d MSport and X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShahiniBmw View Post
I think it is just rear view. You need the plus for Top View.
There is no top view on the X5. It's rear view or surround view.

Check out the tread with title "50i doesn't come with top view !"
Appreciate 0