BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-21-2017, 08:27 PM   #1
FamilyMan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35i

Tesla Model X 100D

I've had my X5 for 2 years and the 3rd row is starting to get a bit cramped for my kids. So, I decided to test drive a Tesla Model X 100D.

Never drove a Tesla before so it was a pretty cool experience. The instant torque was amazing and the ride was fairly good. Hard to really make a comparison to the X5; they're just 2 different types of animals.

Funny thing, the 3rd row wasn't that much better than the X5.

The fit and finish wasn't great. I noticed gaps in one of the body panels and the falcon door was ever so slightly off. The demo we drove only had 13 miles so it wasn't like it was abused or anything.

Overall I liked it, but for $115k it wouldn't be my first choice.
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2017, 08:44 PM   #2
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Biggest issue is that they are ugly as sin, and like you said, the interior is cheap. However, love the technology.
Appreciate 2
kanvas644.00
deutsch1003744.00
      11-21-2017, 09:05 PM   #3
FamilyMan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Biggest issue is that they are ugly as sin, and like you said, the interior is cheap. However, love the technology.
Yeah, it's hard to describe the looks of it.

Maybe, an oblong egg shaped thing that Mork from Ork would travel in? :-)

No offense to Tesla lovers.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 09:55 PM   #4
Jlu88
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 XDrive35i M Sport

The P100D acceleration is insane and the tech is pretty awesome to play with. However, as everyone has experienced, the build quality and materials are absolutely atrocious.

2017 X5 xDrive35i M Sport - Space Gray | Adaptive M | Eibach Pro | H&R Spacers | MPPK | MPE | Autotechnik Gloss Black Dual Slat Kidney Grills | Autotechnik Gloss Black Fender Vents | Leather Knee Pads | Painted Front Reflectors | M50D Trim - Gone
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 10:20 PM   #5
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

We had considered the tesla x till the time we saw one and that 3rd row was too a put off also. You can try the new discovery to see if its any better.

We also checked the xc90 and weren't too happy.

Past: 2013 750i xdrive, 2008 535xi
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 08:52 AM   #6
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Here's my take on 3rd row SUVs. Having owned a lot of minivans in the past I came to a conclusion that the best layout is when you have 2nd row captains chairs and thus a passage between them to a 3rd row. That way you don't have to constantly recline seats and squeeze in to get to 3rd row - gets old very fast (besides if you have a toddler or kid <10yo - they do use boosters and reclining 2nd row with anything in the seat (like carseat or booster) is a PITA

The list of SUVs that offer 2nd row captain chairs are limited. Tesla X is one of them, but that one is crossed off the list due to limited range - maybe in 10-20 years when new battery tech will be a lot better (I can't wait for anything longer than 5-10 min to charge lol)

Other SUVs are:

2017 Acura MDX
2017 Acura MDX Sport Hybrid
2017 Buick Enclave
2017 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV
2017 Chevrolet Suburban
2017 Chevrolet Tahoe
2017 Chevrolet Traverse
2017 Dodge Durango
2017 Ford Expedition, Expedition EL
2017 Ford Explorer
2017 Ford Flex
2017 GMC Acadia
2017 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL
2017 Honda Pilot
2017 Hyundai Santa Fe
2017 Infiniti QX80
2017 Lexus GX 460
2017 Lincoln MKT
2017 Lincoln Navigator, Navigator L
2017 Nissan Armada
2017 Tesla Model X
2017 Toyota Highlander
2017 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
2017 Toyota Sequoia

BTW Volvo xc90 has no such option alas....so I crossed it off the list as well. From the list remaining, I can safely cross huge dinosaurs like Tahoe/Suburban etc. - simply because I don't want a huge bus, I want a mid-size SUV lol
A lot of them are domestic crap (no offense to domestic car lovers lol) and others are a horrible driving cars due to a frame build - like QX80 and similar.
Frankly the best of them is Acura MDX for me, but it's still not ideal IMHO

I think if new upcoming x5 had an option to have 2nd row captains chairs with 3rd row accessible via passage between captain chairs AND it had a plug-in battery good for about 25-30 miles - that would be a win-win! Ideal SUV with 3rd row and EV range that most of us can relate in real life

Last edited by DuSh; 11-22-2017 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2017, 10:20 AM   #7
deutsch100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 M60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

Quote:
Ugly as f*ck. Looks like an upside down bathtub, interior quality is dismal and fit and finish is like a nice Yugo!

I do not like Consumer Reports, but they rated this Tesla "suv" as the most problematic car for sale in the USA. Fiat scored better than Tesla!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 04:46 PM   #8
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
I'm a little confused with 3rd-row space remarks
I can sit there comfortably when the 2nd row is in the right position (not pushed all the way back) and I'm 5'11"
This is my family hauler with 3 kids household
I can throw anything on this car, the amount of space while 3-rd row is up is unheard of
X5 can barely take fraction of the amount of cargo
Fit and finish is fine
Not as nice as my X6M was, but definitely not as described here

P.S. The convenience of getting kids in and out is better than minivan
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 01:12 AM   #9
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyATC View Post
I can sit there comfortably when the 2nd row is in the right position (not pushed all the way back) and I'm 5'11"
I'm guessing it depends on how large people are, but it's better than x5 3rd row no doubt, but it's still tight to be honest, I had to move 2nd row seating a bit front to split the space between 2nd row and 3rd row to sit comfortably back in 3rd row

Quote:
I can throw anything on this car, the amount of space while 3-rd row is up is unheard of
It's a very good alternative to minivan - without minivan stigma. I like configuration with 2nd row captains chairs - in that case it's really easy to get in and out, but minivan still has edge, especially considering that not every garage will accommodate wing doors (height wise), while minivans sliding doors are hard to beat - just my opinion. It's minivan stigma that I don't like and in that case no doubt Model X is one of the best cars for family amongst SUVs

Quote:
true, especially considering Model x has front storage too

Quote:
Fit and finish is fine
I'll probably agree, but when I checked out Model X 3 weeks ago - to be honest finish looked like subpar to Germans, more along Lexus/Toyota quality, but maybe there's different options to improve that - I'm not sure. I only checked it for like 15 min, but already found lots of places where Tesla saved on fit and finish - look at steering wheel and it's surrounding column plastic (where blinkers are) - it looks like from Ford Focus at best For such an expensive car Tesla should revise it I hope

Quote:
I disagree, I still think nothing beats sliding minivan doors overall, but Model X is very close. IMHO Model X wins anyway - simply because it's a SUV

I'm waiting for other manufacturers to produce something similar, but plug-in hybrid - I can't depend on battery only, I need ability to move 100% of time on first demand, so Tesla is a no go. Or maybe Tesla will add some small combustion engine - to power it if batteries are depleted - I doubt Tesla will do it tho. In 10-20 years we'll see lots of similar SUVs plug-ins including from Germans - I hope BMW will do it and do it properly - then I'll jump on it - because no doubt it will drive better than any other similar SUV
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 07:13 AM   #10
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutsch100 View Post
Quote:
Ugly as f*ck. Looks like an upside down bathtub, interior quality is dismal and fit and finish is like a nice Yugo!

I do not like Consumer Reports, but they rated this Tesla "suv" as the most problematic car for sale in the USA. Fiat scored better than Tesla!!!!
Yugo is baddass
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 06:10 PM   #11
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Quote:
I'm guessing it depends on how large people are, but it's better than x5 3rd row no doubt, but it's still tight to be honest, I had to move 2nd row seating a bit front to split the space between 2nd row and 3rd row to sit comfortably back in 3rd row

Quote:
It's a very good alternative to minivan - without minivan stigma. I like configuration with 2nd row captains chairs - in that case it's really easy to get in and out, but minivan still has edge, especially considering that not every garage will accommodate wing doors (height wise), while minivans sliding doors are hard to beat - just my opinion. It's minivan stigma that I don't like and in that case no doubt Model X is one of the best cars for family amongst SUVs

Quote:
true, especially considering Model x has front storage too

Quote:
Fit and finish is fine
I'll probably agree, but when I checked out Model X 3 weeks ago - to be honest finish looked like subpar to Germans, more along Lexus/Toyota quality, but maybe there's different options to improve that - I'm not sure. I only checked it for like 15 min, but already found lots of places where Tesla saved on fit and finish - look at steering wheel and it's surrounding column plastic (where blinkers are) - it looks like from Ford Focus at best For such an expensive car Tesla should revise it I hope

Quote:
I disagree, I still think nothing beats sliding minivan doors overall, but Model X is very close. IMHO Model X wins anyway - simply because it's a SUV

I'm waiting for other manufacturers to produce something similar, but plug-in hybrid - I can't depend on battery only, I need ability to move 100% of time on first demand, so Tesla is a no go. Or maybe Tesla will add some small combustion engine - to power it if batteries are depleted - I doubt Tesla will do it tho. In 10-20 years we'll see lots of similar SUVs plug-ins including from Germans - I hope BMW will do it and do it properly - then I'll jump on it - because no doubt it will drive better than any other similar SUV
Well, I hope Tesla never adds ICE to its fleet
That will turn me away
The beauty is that I never go to gas up or for maintenance. Every time I leave my house it's 100% ready and fully charged
Regarding some minivan points:
Yes you can beat it in some areas.
In the rain, I open falcon door and buckle up my youngest child in his car seat while standing straight in comfort.
In tight parking spots, once the door opens you have lots of room to enter the car. There is no sliding door in the way.
And if someone blocked your entrance badly, use your remote to autopilot your car out of the parking space. This came in handy many times for me.
Tight garage with barely any ceiling height is not a problem either. Unless it's 7 feet or something.
Not sure where minivan can beat it here really
Watch the X unveil

P.S. I do have 6 seater with captain seats. Very good configuration
I'd take it over 7-seater any day
Also kids have a very good unobstructed view to the front and sides from 3-rd row

Steering wheel and controls are straight from Mercedes. It's just like the one in GLS
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 02:15 PM   #12
Chadmatic
Registered Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35i M-Sport

Quote:
They definitely have an ugly front end, and I was going to defend the way they look from side or rear but yeah it is pretty bad all the way around. I have seen a handful of them here in California with nice wheels and a wrap that looked pretty good.
Appreciate 2
deutsch1003744.00
P111541.50
      11-24-2017, 08:18 PM   #13
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadmatic View Post
They definitely have an ugly front end, and I was going to defend the way they look from side or rear but yeah it is pretty bad all the way around. I have seen a handful of them here in California with nice wheels and a wrap that looked pretty good.
I just don't get it. It's like they spent 95% of their budget on R&D and let a blind person design it.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003744.00
      11-24-2017, 09:09 PM   #14
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadmatic View Post
I just don't get it. It's like they spent 95% of their budget on R&D and let a blind person design it.
The beauty is in the eye of the beholder
But in all seriousness, I love the design personally. I'm also surprised that 10-year-old design is still out selling the big boys, like S class Mercedes, BMW seven series and Audi A8
I don't think I ever got as many compliments on any car I owned.
There is got to be something good about it, or majority of people don't have a good taste.
I think the problem for you is that it doesn't have kidney grills.
Maybe Tesla should borrow the ones from X7
What a great accomplishment by design team
Appreciate 1
Chadmatic660.50
      11-24-2017, 09:35 PM   #15
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Looks are absolutely subjective.

I personally like the exterior of the Model S. Certainly looks a billion times better than many BMWs, a 5 Series GT for sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 09:42 PM   #16
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

I think Tesla went for lower air drag coefficient rather than for looks - it probably saved 10-15% battery due to that (especially on highway speeds). It looks good overall, I like rear, but front needs some work

It's not the looks that worry me, but the fact that there's no secret sauce in Tesla tech - same batteries as everywhere else. The only advantage was early timing - tesla offered something that wasn't available from other manufacturers yet. The thing is - in 10 years basically ALL manufacturers will have similar models and I can bet a lot of them will have advantage in price. Tesla needs to stop loosing money - it's good until it's exotics and people buy it for the sheer novelty, but that is ending fast and soon it will have to compete financially with other manufacturers and so far Mask hasn't showed any progress on profitability. There's still time, but I can already see articles in 10 years comparing 5-7 different electric sedans and SUVs and for some reason I can bet BMW or Porsche will be at the top in handling and luxury, while ALL of them will have same range as Tesla (guess where Tesla be in that list, if it even make it there) Just my opinion
Appreciate 2
      11-25-2017, 10:22 AM   #17
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Tesla plan is working wether they survive or not, though i believe they do have a very bright future
They wanted everyone off of the fossil fuel and i think the ball is rolling now...
It is a tough competition out there with all manufacturers jumping on the electrification bandwagon. They had a head start, but they's not standing still.
Secret sauce? Depends how you look at it.
If i was told 2 years ago that a large heavy 7-seater sedan would be able to travel 300+ miles while beating any production car on the planet in acceleration and be able to drive itself, park itself and heat/cool itself by learning your habits, i'd be laughing at that person. Now, they wanna do hypercar with the price tag of a sports car and big rig
I wanna see a single BMW this decade that can compete with 35K price point.
Better yet, i wanna see all become a Tesla competition, so they innovate even more.
Right now nothing really does
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 12:26 PM   #18
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Tesla plan is working wether they survive or not, though i believe they do have a very bright future
Yes, but Tesla is barely holding in there financially, it's losing money on every car it makes - that's gotta change or they will fade away as a brand (and increasing prices are not the answer - so it's a tough place to be, especially with increasing competition approaching soon)

Quote:
They wanted everyone off of the fossil fuel and i think the ball is rolling now...
It is a tough competition out there with all manufacturers jumping on the electrification bandwagon. They had a head start, but they's not standing still.
I agree with that - Tesla did a good job bringing EVs closer to reality

Quote:
Secret sauce? Depends how you look at it.
If i was told 2 years ago that a large heavy 7-seater sedan would be able to travel 300+ miles while beating any production car on the planet in acceleration and be able to drive itself, park itself and heat/cool itself by learning your habits, i'd be laughing at that person. Now, they wanna do hypercar with the price tag of a sports car and big rig
You are right, it's a completely new amazing future ahead for us all as I'm sure all manufacturers will eventually go EV. Toyota (biggest profit player) said it will stop production of ICE passenger cars in 2040 - so 22 years left

Quote:
I wanna see a single BMW this decade that can compete with 35K price point.
Better yet, i wanna see all become a Tesla competition, so they innovate even more.
Right now nothing really does
Agree. The only thing is i don't think Model 3 is 35K - it's going to be more than that. A bare minimum configuration (for me) is already 50K+ so it's a bit of a marketing lie, but it's still several times cheaper than S or X. The other issue is that Model 3 is so boring and uninspiring that I would rather prefer to drive a $35K 3 series BMW

P.S. One correction tho: while your Model X P90DL can accelerate faster than my tuned 50i from 0 to 60 (3.2sec vs 3.8sec), we will be even at 1/4 mile mark and I bet i will pull ahead after that as speeds increase and after 130mph (max speed for Tesla p90dl) i will simply leave it behind while accelerating all the way up to 180mph (hello autobans). And afaik your X P90DL range is 250miles no? If we go travel or visiting parents in different state 800 miles trip - guess who is going to arrive first because I won't need to wait to recharge. Also, I'm still going to choose my x5 for handling and comfort - but I'm biased
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 02:59 PM   #19
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, but Tesla is barely holding in there financially, it's losing money on every car it makes - that's gotta change or they will fade away as a brand (and increasing prices are not the answer - so it's a tough place to be, especially with increasing competition approaching soon)

Agree. The only thing is i don't think Model 3 is 35K - it's going to be more than that. A bare minimum configuration (for me) is already 50K+ so it's a bit of a marketing lie, but it's still several times cheaper than S or X. The other issue is that Model 3 is so boring and uninspiring that I would rather prefer to drive a $35K 3 series BMW

P.S. One correction tho: while your Model X P90DL can accelerate faster than my tuned 50i from 0 to 60 (3.2sec vs 3.8sec), we will be even at 1/4 mile mark and I bet i will pull ahead after that as speeds increase and after 130mph (max speed for Tesla p90dl) i will simply leave it behind while accelerating all the way up to 180mph (hello autobans). And afaik your X P90DL range is 250miles no? If we go travel or visiting parents in different state 800 miles trip - guess who is going to arrive first because I won't need to wait to recharge. Also, I'm still going to choose my x5 for handling and comfort - but I'm biased
A few points we kind of have to clarify here:
Tesla is not losing money on every car it makes, it makes about 20-25%, which is a very good margin. Germans dont even have that much profit.
Model S and X helps a lot financially.
Tesla is growing and keeps borrowing money to grow its business
Please do some reading if interested
It's very similar to Amazon in the early stages

3-series for 35K?
No, i'd rather have Model 3, even if it's a base model with 220m range
At that price, 3-er is far from inspiring
I think similarly priced, Tesla would still be a better buy
I also believe the sales will prove that if 3-er is not innovating by the time 3 is readily available.
After all, 500K of orders is some insane interest that no car has ever seen.

Your 50i is tuned and my P90D is absolete
We are comparing something that is not stock to something you can't buy any longer.
Maybe we should look at P100D with 300m range
That thing eats lambos in 1/4m, which is more than enough to get arrested if you do it on the streets.
And it's 155mph governor limit, not 130
Not sure how badly you're tuned, but i'm having hard time believing you can even come close to 11.3sec @ 118mph on your 50i.
My X6M felt like 4-cyl car compared to Model X
This is the world record for ANY production SUV
Having 700lbft+ at any given moment with no drama, no shifting, no revving is intoxicating. This never gets old, trust me
X5 handles poorly, while X6M is very similar to X.

Last thing, the range
Yes, you'd be at your destination sooner.
However, i get there with happy face and rested with help of autopilot
I'm sure my kids will appreciate a few stops that we can enjoy our meal and free charging.
I never had to wait for my car to charge. it was always ready before we finished restroom stops or snacking/lunch/dinner
I dont think it would take me less time in any other car, having 3 small kids on board
It's an amazing road-trip car

Last edited by AndreyATC; 11-25-2017 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 06:33 PM   #20
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Tesla is not losing money on every car it makes, it makes about 20-25%, which is a very good margin. Germans dont even have that much profit.
Is it really so? I know that Toyota makes largest profit - which is 16%. Are you saying Tesla is making 20-25%? Skeptical, but hey man, I'm not going to argue. Time will tell

Quote:
3-series for 35K?
I also believe the sales will prove that if 3-er is not innovating by the time 3 is readily available.
My previous 328xi e90 handled like a dream and I tend to disagree, but again it's just my opinion

Quote:
We are comparing something that is not stock to something you can't buy any longer.
That thing eats lambos in 1/4m, which is more than enough to get arrested if you do it on the streets.
Not sure how badly you're tuned, but i'm having hard time believing you can even come close to 11.3sec @ 118mph on your 50i.
Having 700lbft+ at any given moment with no drama, no shifting, no revving is intoxicating. This never gets old, trust me
There you go:
watch at 17:55

Quote:
Last thing, the range
I'm sure my kids will appreciate a few stops that we can enjoy our meal and free charging.
I never had to wait for my car to charge. it was always ready before we finished restroom stops or snacking/lunch/dinner
I dont think it would take me less time in any other car, having 3 small kids on board
Can you really rely on autopilot on our roads and trust the lives of your children?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 11:22 PM   #21
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Is it really so? I know that Toyota makes largest profit - which is 16%. Are you saying Tesla is making 20-25%? Skeptical, but hey man, I'm not going to argue. Time will tell

Quote:
3-series for 35K?
My previous 328xi e90 handled like a dream and I tend to disagree, but again it's just my opinion

Quote:
There you go:
watch at 17:55

Quote:
Last thing, the range
Can you really rely on autopilot on our roads and trust the lives of your children?
This sounds a bit twisted...
Anyhow, 35k gets you 320i RWD with no nav or anything. It's almost better getting corolla.
Base Model 3 runs 4.8sec 0-60, so it's ready to complete with 340i before even awd or performance version is out. And we all now where that price starts
What makes you think your 328xi will out handle 3 without any base support?
Have you driven one???
Also, your e90 probably had 45k tag, though it's irrelevant. New one is more expensive now
The video of highly tuned and supercharged lambo with 800hp against SUV has expected outcome. What's your point?
Autopilot is an awesome assist when you travel
So yes, it's always on, just because it provides another pair of eyes on the road. This thing saved my but few times. Radar could see few cars ahead and slow down before car in front of you realizes something

Back to OP
My friends just visited us with new Volvo XC90
Nice car, but everyone agreed that the X is cooler and has a lot more space
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 12:04 AM   #22
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
This sounds a bit twisted...
Anyhow, 35k gets you 320i RWD with no nav or anything. It's almost better getting corolla.
Base Model 3 runs 4.8sec 0-60, so it's ready to complete with 340i before even awd or performance version is out. And we all now where that price starts
What makes you think your 328xi will out handle 3 without any base support?
Have you driven one???
Also, your e90 probably had 45k tag, though it's irrelevant. New one is more expensive now
The video of highly tuned and supercharged lambo with 800hp against SUV has expected outcome. What's your point?
Autopilot is an awesome assist when you travel
So yes, it's always on, just because it provides another pair of eyes on the road. This thing saved my but few times. Radar could see few cars ahead and slow down before car in front of you realizes something

Back to OP
My friends just visited us with new Volvo XC90
Nice car, but everyone agreed that the X is cooler and has a lot more space
I wasn't the first one to mention lambo, don't blame the messenger, guess who mentioned it first? And in some way Ludicrous mode is also a "tune" - it costs money to enable it and not exactly cheap $6k or how much is it?
I'm starting to feel like I'm on a Tesla forum. I'm biased, so are you, so I'll refrain from any more comments

Last edited by DuSh; 11-26-2017 at 12:10 AM..
Appreciate 0