BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-27-2017, 03:59 PM   #1
Flintstone148
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW F 12/2018 BMW F15 50i

Manufacturer ( BMW) Buyback

What's the Forum's opinion on BMW factory buybacks with the primary reason being customer satisfaction?

I've located a 2016 X5 (xDrive50i) with less than 5,000 miles that's like new. This car was returned to BMW for a non-conformity with the warranty (vehicle stalled). BMW graciously repurchased the car from the owner and inspected it to find nothing wrong with the car.

I'm somewhat reserved with this condition, and I'm not sure of a blighted title in Florida.

Would members please share any experience with these type vehicles?

Thanks,

Flintstone148
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 04:14 PM   #2
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i7 60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

Ooooh, I would NOT do this!!! I have had 2 BMWs that BMW bought back from me and one Rolls-Royce Phantom. Aesthetically they were all gorgeous, showroom new and only a few thousand miles...but let me tell you, nightmares!!!

When BMW/RR voluntarily buys back one of their vehicles from a customer, but it is not a legal, classified "Lemon" buyback...they are not mandated to tell you what the problem(s) are.

If BMW agreed to buyback a vehicle...and let me tell you this, since I have gone thru this 3X...they do not easily do this. This involves months of Service attempts, a PUMA case, Factory Area Reps and sometime even German techs attempting to work on the car. A buyback is the VERY LAST thing BMW wants to do. If the car was bought back, there is a VERY good reason BMW agreed to do this. R U N from this car!!!!!!

My Rolls-Royce Phantom that BMW bought back from me, sat for over 45 days straight in Service. Rolls-Royce, BMW, area reps, factory reps, European techs could not find the problem with my car, but they admitted there was a problem. Since they voluntarily bought it back from me, they turned around and sold it. This was in 2014. I have now seen my poor Phantom on eBay 3-4 times and at 3-4 RR dealers in 3-4 states.
Appreciate 3
Plokmp17.50
cfm56d7b5876.00
eeyuu24.50
      11-27-2017, 11:32 PM   #3
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

I would highly doubt the fact that BMW bought (~ 90K MSRP) a car back, under Lemon law and then didn't find anything wrong with it.One of my friends got his Mercedes Benz GLE diesel bought back from him by MB USA,and it took over 3 months (4 different dealerships,dozen of mechanics and 3-4 guys who flew to US from Germany to check it out) and that car had a real bad problems with engine stalling and loosing power.One of the Mercedes guys told my friend they will ship the car back to Germany to investigate the issue. And yes,car was loaded,spotless and had around 13K miles. So think twice,especially since the original buyback problem was related to engine.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003897.00
      11-28-2017, 12:10 AM   #4
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

Why even consider a ticking time-bomb is the question, even if the bomb turns out to be a dud? Is the extra couple grand you save worth the gamble/uncertainty? What kind of extra warranty are they offering on it?
Kzang3237.00
      11-28-2017, 10:28 AM   #5
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Run, don’t walk, away from this deal. You’re setting yourself up for very expensive nightmares.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 08:43 AM   #6
Flintstone148
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW F 12/2018 BMW F15 50i

Thanks for the insight concerning buybacks! I appreciate everyone's candor.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 10:37 AM   #7
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

What were the details on the car in terms of price, warranty (did they include extended?), etc.?
Or... were they selling it as a "normal" used car since they claim there was nothing found wrong with it?
      11-21-2019, 02:47 PM   #8
juju1700
Registered
Rep
Drives: x5d

We are looking at a 2017 X5d buyback. Reason: vehicle died while driving.
Repairs: Replaced complete fuel system. Should I be concerned?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 05:09 PM   #9
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 F15

Is everything under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 08:44 PM   #10
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yes, you should be. If the fuel system was replaced it was probably contaminated with something (bad fuel,gas instead of diesel). Even the fuel system probably now have extended warranty you don't know what long term effects can be on the engine. Unless this vehicle comes with 100K warranty with no fine prints and the price is incredible compared to the regular one.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 07:01 PM   #11
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutsch100 View Post
Ooooh, I would NOT do this!!! I have had 2 BMWs that BMW bought back from me and one Rolls-Royce Phantom. Aesthetically they were all gorgeous, showroom new and only a few thousand miles...but let me tell you, nightmares!!!

When BMW/RR voluntarily buys back one of their vehicles from a customer, but it is not a legal, classified "Lemon" buyback...they are not mandated to tell you what the problem(s) are.

If BMW agreed to buyback a vehicle...and let me tell you this, since I have gone thru this 3X...they do not easily do this. This involves months of Service attempts, a PUMA case, Factory Area Reps and sometime even German techs attempting to work on the car. A buyback is the VERY LAST thing BMW wants to do. If the car was bought back, there is a VERY good reason BMW agreed to do this. R U N from this car!!!!!!

My Rolls-Royce Phantom that BMW bought back from me, sat for over 45 days straight in Service. Rolls-Royce, BMW, area reps, factory reps, European techs could not find the problem with my car, but they admitted there was a problem. Since they voluntarily bought it back from me, they turned around and sold it. This was in 2014. I have now seen my poor Phantom on eBay 3-4 times and at 3-4 RR dealers in 3-4 states.
Very little to add to this great advice. Buying a vehicle which has been bought back by BMW is literally not worth it. The same applies of course to vehicles produced by other manufacturers, not just BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 08:36 PM   #12
Picasso
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

I humbly differ in opinion with majority here. Please don't throw rotten tomatoes at me lol.
IMHO if there is a descent enough discount and long enough warranty it might be actually worth it.
My logic is that everything has it's price and if let's say $80k car costs $40k and has same or longer warranty - why not? You can at least keep it during warranty years and then sell it.
Unless, like deutsch100 said it will be THE ONE that will sit in dealers bay for warranty repairs more time than it's driven. But that's a risk and BMW is giving a discount due to that. So IMHO it all depends on price. If it's like only $5-10k lower - it's not worth it. If it's like $30-40k lower - why not?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 09:01 PM   #13
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Not now, not ever, would I consider a “buy back” no matter how appealing the offer.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 09:30 PM   #14
jch1511
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 50i,750i,650i,GL63

"vehicle died while driving"

End of story! This is a potentially life and death safety issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 07:17 PM   #15
Picasso
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch1511 View Post
"vehicle died while driving"

End of story! This is a potentially life and death safety issue.
I just wanted to clarify that OP never said that vehicle died while driving. He vaguely said that vehicle stalled (which is not a BMW terminology they use in reports). As stated in his post primary reason was customer satisfaction! One more thing to note - it was .... drum roll....50i! With less than 5k miles lol. BMW didn't find anything wrong with the car. This is so obvious.

I'm just going to bet it was a "cold feet" buyer who regretted or got scared of 50i after reading forums lol. So he decided to get out of it while he could.

If you read couple threads here with mods done on x5 - there are literally hundreds of posts with drive-train malfunction error (that could be anything really) when vehicle stalls. 95% of time vehicle starts again after simple restart.
I don't see those owners selling their vehicles and running away from life or death safety issue. Just saying
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 10:08 PM   #16
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasso View Post
I just wanted to clarify that OP never said that vehicle died while driving. He vaguely said that vehicle stalled (which is not a BMW terminology they use in reports). As stated in his post primary reason was customer satisfaction! One more thing to note - it was .... drum roll....50i! With less than 5k miles lol. BMW didn't find anything wrong with the car. This is so obvious.

I'm just going to bet it was a "cold feet" buyer who regretted or got scared of 50i after reading forums lol. So he decided to get out of it while he could.

If you read couple threads here with mods done on x5 - there are literally hundreds of posts with drive-train malfunction error (that could be anything really) when vehicle stalls. 95% of time vehicle starts again after simple restart.
I don't see those owners selling their vehicles and running away from life or death safety issue. Just saying
Trust me BMW doesn't really care much about customer satisfaction if it cost them money, they will never buy back a car just to make someone happy, it is hell of the process and no car manufactures says "I love loosing money!". It takes month to convince manufacturer to buy back, especially in states with no strict lemon laws. You can't just bring the car back to the dealer and say "Oh I got a check engine light, I don't like it, buy it back". Buyback means serious issues BMW or other manufacturer was unable to fix for a long time. As I said before- unless you love risk and gamble , it's an incredible price with platinum mega 100K bumper to bumper warranty you can give it a shot. I would not.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 07:34 AM   #17
Fastestcolor
Private
Rep
Drives: Looking

I saw the x5 the OP is talking about when I was searching. Looks like a shady “Bob’s Used Cars” type dealer. I’m honestly surprised they disclosed that the car was a BMW buyback. I didn’t think twice about clicking to the next ad after reading that. Not worth it!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 07:53 AM   #18
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by juju1700 View Post
We are looking at a 2017 X5d buyback. Reason: vehicle died while driving.
Repairs: Replaced complete fuel system. Should I be concerned?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasso View Post

The member that you quoted/replied to wasn't replying to the OP, he replied to the newest post/question from Juju1700. See the above bolded quote. Also, he isn't even discussing a 50i, rather a diesel motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastestcolor View Post
I saw the x5 the OP is talking about when I was searching. Looks like a shady “Bob’s Used Cars” type dealer. I’m honestly surprised they disclosed that the car was a BMW buyback. I didn’t think twice about clicking to the next ad after reading that. Not worth it!
Agree, I wouldn't ever consider a buyback from any manufacturer, regardless of warranty/CPO etc. While shopping for i8's I see many are buybacks but they're still asking around the same price as those that aren't buybacks. Insane. I don't believe there is a discount steep enough for me to consider one of these.