BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

12-03-2017, 07:32 PM   #1
ptm1nh
Private First Class
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Blue Cars

Help with NWC Extended Warranty (Partial Fine Print Included)

As you know, I bought my '14 50i about 3 weeks ago, along with it I also got the NWC extended warranty. I did spend sometime to read through their fine print and looks like it is an exclusionary warranty that covers mechanical breakdown with some exclusions and as long as I follow proper manufacturer's schedule maintenance and not put the vehicle in misuse.

But with English being my secondary language, and my lack of knowledge about car (buying a V8 is a risky spend, and I'm learning to take proper maintenance for it), I am looking for our community's feedback about this warranty. I'm also hoping that this would help anyone who's shopping for an extended warranty as well.

Here are some parts of the contract. My apology for the long post but I would appreciate it a lot if you find anything unusual, or that I should be aware of.

Quick overview:
Coverage: Premium Plus
Deductible: $0
Until: 100k miles or 60 months (my odo is 27k at the moment). There's a bit overlapping with the factory warranty until July 2018.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN," except as otherwise provided herein, means the breakage or failure of a covered part due solely to defects in material or faulty workmanship in its' manufacturing, making that covered part incapable of performing the function for which it was designed. Gradual reduction of operating performance is NOT considered a "Mechanical Breakdown."

IV. WHAT IS COVERED
Subject to the terms and conditions of this service contract and with respect to mechanical breakdown that may occur during the term of this service contract.

A. MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN
We agree to repair, replace or arrange for reimbursement to you or the repair facility for reasonable costs to repair or replace any of the covered parts of your vehicle in the event of a covered mechanical breakdown. If the cost to repair a covered part is listed as covered under your vehicle's manufacturer's warranty and the mechanical breakdown occurs during the manufacturer's warranty period, your claim will not be authorized by the administrator regardless of whether the manufacturer honors such warranty. The manufacturer's warranty is primary, coverage under this service contract is secondary. Replacement of covered parts may be made with parts of like kind or quality, and may be new, rebuilt, or serviceable used components, assemblies or parts.
You agree to pay the deductible amount as stated on the Information Schedule on all authorized repairs of covered parts. The deductible applies to each visit you make to the repair facility. If you have selected the Disappearing Deductible Option on Page 1, you will not be charged a deductible if you have the repairs made at the dealership where you purchased this contract.

V. SCHEDULE OF COVERED ASSEMBLES AND THEIR PARTS
All of the coverages listed in the following sections may not be covered on your vehicle service contract. ONLY the sections specified in Section 3 of the Information Schedule on Page 1 are covered in your contract. None of these coverages apply during the term of the manufacturer's warranty unless specifically stated.
(FYI, Section 3 of the Information Schedule is just some check boxes of what coverage is selected and how much deductible, in this case Premium-Plus and $0 deductible).

PREMIUM PLUS COVERAGE
(Premium Plus Coverage is valid only if indicated on the Information Schedule and the additional fee is paid.)
We will reimburse you or make payment to the repair facility for any mechanical breakdown on all factory installed mechanical and electrical operating parts on the covered vehicle except as specifically excluded, less the deductible on page 1, except for the items listed below and under the section VII. WHAT IS NOT COVERED.
Maintenance and Parts Not Covered:
1. The maintenance services and parts described in the Manufacturer's Maintenance Schedule for your vehicle.
2. Other normal maintenance services and parts including but not limited to, engine/transmission tune-up, alignments, wheel balancing, filters, spark/glow plugs and wires; brake pads, linings and shoes; manual clutch disc, pressure plate, release bearing and release fork, and throw-out bearings, clutch hydraulic parts, pulleys, belts, and hoses.
3. Glass, lenses, sealed beams, light bulbs, fuses, tires, wheels, trim, moldings, bright metal, upholstery, paint and body/frame items, exhaust system, brake rotors and drums, shock absorbers, batteries, carburetor and throttle body, emission and EGR systems, linkage and cables, freeze plugs, radiator and heater core, oil pressure sending unit, coolant temperature sending unit, thermostats, mounts, and sound system speakers.
4. Anti-theft systems and radio equipment not installed by the manufacturer. Manufacturer installed systems are limited to repair only.

VII. WHAT IS NOT COVERED
Your service contract provides only the benefits designated in the Information Schedule section Coverages Purchased. We will not reimburse for repair or replacement of parts not specifically listed in the SCHEDULE OF COVERED ASSEMBLIES AND THEIR PARTS. Among the items not covered, (but not limited to) are: carburetor, battery, tires, manual clutch, brake drums or rotors, thermostats, hoses, freeze plugs, shock absorbers, nuts, bolts, fasteners, filters, belts, spark plugs, and other non-listed or maintenance items; alignments, adjustments and engine tune-ups, freight or storage. In addition, coverage does not apply to the following:

1. A BREAKDOWN:
a. caused by collision; fire; theft; vandalism; riot; explosion; lightning earthquake; windstorm; hail; water, freezing or flood;
b. caused or contributed to by the use of improper or contaminated fuel and/or fluids;
c. caused by towing or hauling more than the rated capacity of the vehicle or failure to adhere to the requirements for towing as outlined in the vehicles owners' manual or damage caused as a result of your vehicle being towed.
d. caused by, or involving modifications unless those modifications were performed by the manufacturer;
e. caused by a condition known to you before, or which existed prior to the Effective Date;
f. caused by abuse, misuse, alterations, or lack of customary maintenance. This Contract does not provide coverage for any repair costs or expenses, if you cannot provide to the administrator accurate records proving that you have maintained the failed covered component in accordance with the manufacturers' specifications and instructions.
g. caused or contributed to by operating the vehicle that does not have the proper levels of lubricants, coolant or fluids, or overheating, detonation/preignition, regardless of cause.
h. caused by racing or other competition;
i. if your vehicle is a non-U.S. specification model;
j. if your vehicle is used for deliveries, construction (other than driving to and from work) and hauling;
k. if your vehicle is used for daily rental, or used to carry passengers for hire;
l. if your vehicle is equipped with a snowplow;
m. if your vehicle is used as a police car or other emergency vehicle;
n. if your vehicle is used for commercial purposes (unless it is indicated as commercial on the information schedule), or has a GVW of 12,000 lbs. or greater;
o. damage to a covered part caused by failure of a non-covered part;
p. damage to a non-covered part, even when caused by the failure of a covered part.

2. COSTS:
a. covered by any warranty of the manufacturer, or a repairer's guarantee, regardless of whether they honor such warranty or guarantee;
b. incurred to improve a gradual reduction in operating performance when a mechanical breakdown has not occurred. This includes, but is not limited to, valve and ring repairs designed to improve engine compression or reduce oil consumption;
c. for the maintenance services and parts described in the Manufacturer's Schedule of the covered vehicle;
d. for other normal maintenance services and parts including engine tune up, suspension alignment, wheel balancing, spark/glow plugs, brake pads, linings and shoes, and manual clutch disc, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, release bearing and release fork;
e. for the repair, replacement, adjustment or alignment of any part not covered by this contract;
f. for storage, miscellaneous shop supply charges, hazardous material disposal fees;
g. associated with the conversion of air conditioning system components to accept ozone "friendly" refrigerants.

3. LOSS:
a. to glass; lenses; sealed beams; light bulbs; tires; trim; moldings; bright metal; upholstery; paint; exhaust system; emission systems; throttle body assembly; disc brake rotor; disc brake pads; brake drums, brake linings;
b. to cylinder block, cylinder liners, cylinder barrels and cylinder heads unless damaged by a mechanical breakdown of an internally lubricated covered part.
c. caused by rust damage or contamination;
d. to anti-theft systems and radio equipment (this exclusion does not apply if you purchased Premium Plus Coverage);
e. if the odometer has been stopped or altered or misrepresents the covered vehicle's actual mileage.
f. Loss of time, inconvenience, lodging, food or other consequential loss that results from a mechanical breakdown.

VIII. GENERAL PROVISIONS

D. WHAT YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES ARE
Coverage provided under your service contract is conditional upon your compliance with your vehicle's maintenance/service requirements as recommended by the manufacturer. If the required servicing is not done by the dealer, receipts showing dates, mileage, and services performed must be retained by you and may be required to be furnished to the administrator in the event of a claim. If required maintenance is performed by an entity other than a service or repair facility, you must keep receipts showing products purchased and a maintenance log validated by the administrator, showing date, mileage, and services performed. The required servicing must be performed within ten (10) days or five hundred (500) miles from the manufacturers recommended time or mileage specification. No claim will be denied based on your failure to properly maintain the vehicle unless the failure was caused by your failure to maintain the involved part or parts.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0