jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Squeaky noise after the accident

So my car is out of the shop after rear end accident repairs and still has the squeaky noise. It seems like sound is coming from the trunk area. I thought it would be gone once body panels are realigned but I guess not. Noise is not excessive but annoying enough to post it here.
My bodyshop is going to look at it again but I'm not so convinced they would be able to fix it.
My concern is that my lease is over in less than two weeks and I had my heart set on to buy the car out but I'm not so convinced to buy a "squeaky" car. I have no interest in other cars at the moment so it is crucial to know if this squeak is something I can fix so I can buy with confidence. I have right options for my car and I can ride it happy for another three years and trade in for something else once my family gets bigger.

Does anyone have similar experience fixing the squeaky noise?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 05:07 PM   #2
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

How bad was the hit? If it involved cutting and welding, I'd get rid of it. Also does the accident show up on carfax or auto check? That will hurt the value when you sell down the road.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 10:56 PM   #3
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
How bad was the hit? If it involved cutting and welding, I'd get rid of it. Also does the accident show up on carfax or auto check? That will hurt the value when you sell down the road.
Quote:
Hit was about 30mph hit from behind by a camero. Rear passenger body frame had to be pulled to get back into the shape and Im not sure if that requires any cutting or welding. And yes it will show up in the carfax which Im not so worried about. My primary concern is whether this noise can be fixed while I have the car or else i will have to shell out money to get into another car.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 12:17 AM   #4
turboawd
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle View Post
Hit was about 30mph hit from behind by a camero. Rear passenger body frame had to be pulled to get back into the shape and Im not sure if that requires any cutting or welding. And yes it will show up in the carfax which Im not so worried about. My primary concern is whether this noise can be fixed while I have the car or else i will have to shell out money to get into another car.
the squeek is likely to be something simple to fix. you should be more concerned about the repair and diminshed value due to the accident.

getting hit in the rear is the worst type of hits, since you have to cut and weld to fix the body. whereas a repair in the front, will be all bolt on parts. i'd assume your rear quarter panel got cut out and replaced. the repair will never be as good as original. and may rust quicker than original, since the oem body seams and seals have been compromised.

the carfax should worry you, because any buyer later on down the road, or a dealer will lowball you because of the accident history. if you seriously want to keep this x5, call bmw and see if they will help get diminished value claim on the camaro owner.
Appreciate 2
nyalpine907423.50
jlstyle354.50
      12-05-2017, 11:06 AM   #5
artem123
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30

It is a back gate. Known issue. At the middle of the second page, I posted a solution which took care for this noise for me... http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ight=back+gate
      12-05-2017, 11:11 AM   #6
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Dealers normally remedy this issue with a felt tape or a velcro type tape to minimize contact to reduce the noises during flexing or moments of the rear gate.
jlstyle354.50
      12-05-2017, 02:49 PM   #7
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Wow thanks all!
Yes, it definitely looked like it was coming from the back gate or trunk. Shop has my car now and I'll take it to the dealer if they can't fix it.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 03:51 PM   #8
Silververtu
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i M Sport

Garage List
I would not keep the car if it's been in accident, especially you get the choice to leave it without any financial hit.

Of course it's your decision. Good luck and hope the body shop can solve the issue for you.

Gone but not forgotten:
2006 2.0T A4 Avant, 2007 Z4 Roadster 3.0si, 2006 M Roadster, 2013 550i M Sport, 2015 Cayman S, 2015 X5 50i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 04:23 PM   #9
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silververtu View Post
I would not keep the car if it's been in accident, especially you get the choice to leave it without any financial hit.

Of course it's your decision. Good luck and hope the body shop can solve the issue for you.
I'm just not interested in much of the cars out there at the moment. My car is spec'ed exactly as I want and I don't want to lease another X5 when new one is up on the horizon. If I lease, I would like to stay around $750 range but there's not many options out there. What do you think?
I extensively looked into Cayenne but my wife said no, because of the tech is way behind on infotainment system, briefly looked at Q7 and hated it instantly, like very much the RRS or Velar but price is absurd. So I rather stick with a good ol' friend even though she's bit hurt. I'm sure financial loss due to the accident will be less than the lease inception fee.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 04:27 PM   #10
Jlu88
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 XDrive35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem123 View Post
It is a back gate. Known issue. At the middle of the second page, I posted a solution which took care for this noise for me... http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ight=back+gate
I too have the annoying squeaking sound from the back, your link is not working though.

2017 X5 xDrive35i M Sport - Space Gray | Adaptive M | Eibach Pro | H&R Spacers | MPPK | MPE | Autotechnik Gloss Black Dual Slat Kidney Grills | Autotechnik Gloss Black Fender Vents | Leather Knee Pads | Painted Front Reflectors | M50D Trim - Gone
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 10:16 PM   #11
nameisjae1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 M sports

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ight=back+gate
Appreciate 1
Jlu88360.00
      12-06-2017, 07:58 AM   #12
RFGuy_KCCO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC BSM/SO

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silververtu View Post

I'm just not interested in much of the cars out there at the moment. My car is spec'ed exactly as I want and I don't want to lease another X5 when new one is up on the horizon. If I lease, I would like to stay around $750 range but there's not many options out there. What do you think?
I extensively looked into Cayenne but my wife said no, because of the tech is way behind on infotainment system, briefly looked at Q7 and hated it instantly, like very much the RRS or Velar but price is absurd. So I rather stick with a good ol' friend even though she's bit hurt. I'm sure financial loss due to the accident will be less than the lease inception fee.
The amount lost on the value of your car due to your accident will vary, but based on my experience it will probably be in the $3k-$4k range. I would not keep that car if I were you.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 08:57 AM   #13
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I'm in your exact situation, very similar minus the creaking sound.
I was involved in a rear end accident as well.. long story short.. I came up to a stop light after exiting the ramp and a Camry following me slammed into me at approx. 25/30 mph. Only damage was the rear bumper and upper gate that needed to be replaced and painted. It took about 3 months for me receive my car because the driver side head restraint that went off was on back order. No other damages and I also thought about buying out my X5 after the lease ends in March.

I also have concerns about diminished value but if you can negotiate with BMW financial to reduce the cost of the residual value of the car due to the circumstances I don't see an issue of buying out a car that is spec'ed to your exact wants and you know exactly how the car was driven. As long as you know there wouldn't be any issues down the road I think the car will be perfectly fine. People get bent out of shape about any minor accidents that wouldn't affect the car's performance down the road.

I'll be communicating with BMWFS soon to negotiate the final price of the car and go from there. I would suggest the same to you.

Some photos..
Attached Images

12-06-2017, 10:53 AM   #14
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
I was involved in a rear end accident as well.. long story short.. I came up to a stop light after exiting the ramp and a Camry following me slammed into me at approx. 25/30 mph. Only damage was the rear bumper and upper gate that needed to be replaced and painted. It took about 3 months for me receive my car because the driver side head restraint that went off was on back order. No other damages and I also thought about buying out my X5 after the lease ends in March.

I also have concerns about diminished value but if you can negotiate with BMW financial to reduce the cost of the residual value of the car due to the circumstances I don't see an issue of buying out a car that is spec'ed to your exact wants and you know exactly how the car was driven. As long as you know there wouldn't be any issues down the road I think the car will be perfectly fine. People get bent out of shape about any minor accidents that wouldn't affect the car's performance down the road.

I'll be communicating with BMWFS soon to negotiate the final price of the car and go from there. I would suggest the same to you.

Some photos..
Thanks for the post. My damage was less in area, but little deeper as one end of the body frame was actually pushed in. I'm not so concerned of the performance of the vehicle down the road as there was no mechanical issue from this accident. Please keep me posted how your negotiation with BMWFS goes. It will be awesome if they are willing to negotiate.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 07:32 PM   #15
Phil Devtec
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 40i

Chase diminished value since it wasn't your fault, then get rid of the car. I would have a hard time keeping a car that was 'fixed' after an accident. It will never be the same.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 07:38 PM   #16
Phil Devtec
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Some photos..
We have the right (in NJ) to make a diminished value claim against the at fault driver. Being rear ended, it is clear who is at fault. Their insurance must pay you. Statute of limitations on this is 6 years...I would go after it, if I were you.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 12:05 AM   #17
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Devtec View Post
Quote:

Some photos..
We have the right (in NJ) to make a diminished value claim against the at fault driver. Being rear ended, it is clear who is at fault. Their insurance must pay you. Statute of limitations on this is 6 years...I would go after it, if I were you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Devtec View Post

Thanks for the input. Im in Nj as well and how does this claiming work? Do I contact their insurance directly?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 12:39 AM   #18
turboawd
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Im in Nj as well and how does this claiming work? Do I contact their insurance directly?
You cant do anything since you dont actually own the car. bmw owns your car. and if you call bmw financial, they'll just tell you that they may go after other party for diminished value after you turn the lease in.
your best bet if you want to buy car at lease end, is to negotiate a lower price, based on bmw getting money from other insurance policy.
and this is based on my experience after someone hit me. ($24K damage) luckily bmw did a buyback from me, and i was able to get another x5.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 07:04 AM   #19
Phil Devtec
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You cant do anything since you dont actually own the car. bmw owns your car. and if you call bmw financial, they'll just tell you that they may go after other party for diminished value after you turn the lease in.
your best bet if you want to buy car at lease end, is to negotiate a lower price, based on bmw getting money from other insurance policy.
and this is based on my experience after someone hit me. ($24K damage) luckily bmw did a buyback from me, and i was able to get another x5.
Not necessarily true. My Yukon was in an accident. I still owed 2 years on it. It was still in the body shop when my body shop guy (family friend) started the process. The day I took it home from the body shop, I took it straight to the dealer and traded it in. As expected, they gave me a lower trade in price because of accident history. I wasn't concerned because I knew I would get the lost value back eventually. Maybe a month or two later (that's the only downside...takes forever), the person at fault's insurance company sent me a check for the value I lost on my car.

I'm not sure if this works on a leased car though. That's something I would vet.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 11:50 AM   #20
Kzang
Major General
Rep

With a leased car, I don't think the diminished value applies as mentioned above by turboawd. Best thing to do is negotiate with BMW letting them know you are interested in purchasing the leased car at the end of the contract. If you can get 3K or 4K off the residual value of the car, why not?
      12-07-2017, 03:22 PM   #21
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:

Some photos..
Quote:
With a leased car, I don't think the diminished value applies as mentioned above by turboawd. Best thing to do is negotiate with BMW letting them know you are interested in purchasing the leased car at the end of the contract. If you can get 3K or 4K off the residual value of the car, why not?
Kzang, I just called BMWFS, and they are not willing to lower the residual value for my case. Please let me know if you come up with a different result.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 07:35 AM   #22
Silververtu
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Kzang, I just called BMWFS, and they are not willing to lower the residual value for my case. Please let me know if you come up with a different result.
If you want to buy off your lease vehicle, talk to your dealer. They are more willing to get you a better price and certified your vehicle than BMWFS, who will not negotiate.

Gone but not forgotten:
2006 2.0T A4 Avant, 2007 Z4 Roadster 3.0si, 2006 M Roadster, 2013 550i M Sport, 2015 Cayman S, 2015 X5 50i M Sport
Appreciate 0