12-11-2017, 12:46 PM   #23
lapa
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M sport 40d 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran.J View Post
Just to update my own thread with another reference. You are able to wrap your own rails as well if you didn't want to tear apart your interior like me and still have the optional and cleaner aluminum rails all nice at resale
Looking in the forum for people with wrapped roof rails and found this! Looks good!!
BMW Sweden is swapping my Space grey 2016 X5 M sport 40e to a brand new 2017 X5 M sport 40d after a complete gearbox breakdown among other serious failures on the car. Everything fixed but I’m refusing to take the car back. After weeks of discussions they finally agreed on giving me a new car. The 40d is a sapphire black BMW Sweden stock car with a very nice list of options.
One downside though: window trims and roof rails are aluminium line.
Car will be delivered tomorrow or day after tomorrow and I have an appointment with a wrapping company tuesday next week. They will wrap the window trims gloss black but they do not want to wrap the roof rails. Too difficult, too many small vinyl wrap pieces etc, they say. Hard to get a 100% result.
What is your opinion?
Can it be done with a perfect result? Will it last?
Feedback much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 12:54 PM   #24
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapa View Post
Quote:
Just to update my own thread with another reference. You are able to wrap your own rails as well if you didn't want to tear apart your interior like me and still have the optional and cleaner aluminum rails all nice at resale
Looking in the forum for people with wrapped roof rails and found this! Looks good!!
BMW Sweden is swapping my Space grey 2016 X5 M sport 40e to a brand new 2017 X5 M sport 40d after a complete gearbox breakdown among other serious failures on the car. Everything fixed but I’m refusing to take the car back. After weeks of discussions they finally agreed on giving me a new car. The 40d is a sapphire black BMW Sweden stock car with a very nice list of options.
Car will be delivered tomorrow or day after tomorrow and I have an appointment with a wrapping company tuesday next week. They will wrap the window trims gloss black but they do not want to wrap the roof rails. Too difficult, too many small vinyl wrap pieces etc, they say. Hard to get a 100% result.
What is your opinion?
My guy uses only 3M products with this vinyl adhering corner glue stick thing before apply the vinyl down in the corners and edges.

The wife runs the X5 through touch less car wash every two weeks since having it applied and I haven't had any issues with the vinyl or quality of work thus far. For my instance you should take into consideration our X5 is in a temperature controlled indoor garage year round.

3M says in different environments their products last 5-7 years, and I've been able to double that. Our 2007 GL450 has had the 3M clear bra on various parts since delivery in 2006, and I had them gloss black vinyl some trim bits and with 150k miles it's been solid for the last 11 years now.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 12:56 PM   #25
monkiboy
Major
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: '17 x5 3.5i w/MPPK & MPE

Quote:
What is your opinion?
congrats on the new car. I went through a similar experience. went to a detailed vinyl wrap place and they said much the same. difficult and expensive to do for the time to do it as we would both want it - utmost detail. they suggested it would need to be two pieces at least per rail and long term would be best suited as an OEM replacement.

picked up a set of gloss black rails here on the cheap and had them installed in less than two hours. can't beat a factory finish. check out my build thread for photos before and after. g'luck!
      12-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #26
lapa
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
My guy uses only 3M products with this vinyl adhering corner glue stick thing before apply the vinyl down in the corners and edges.

The wife runs the X5 through touch less car wash every two weeks since having it applied and I haven't had any issues with the vinyl or quality of work thus far. For my instance you should take into consideration our X5 is in a temperature controlled indoor garage year round.

3M says in different environments their products last 5-7 years, and I've been able to double that. Our 2007 GL450 has had the 3M clear bra on various parts since delivery in 2006, and I had them gloss black vinyl some trim bits and with 150k miles it's been solid for the last 11 years now.
Ok, thanks for the feedback!
I do have the truck in a indoor garage at night but winter in Sweden can be pretty cold and messy so maybe the best thing is to leave rails as they are. After all, I think getting the window trims done is more important than the rails.
Maybe, just maybe I can learn to live with the aluminium rails.....?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 03:14 PM   #27
lapa
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkiboy View Post
congrats on the new car. I went through a similar experience. went to a detailed vinyl wrap place and they said much the same. difficult and expensive to do for the time to do it as we would both want it - utmost detail. they suggested it would need to be two pieces at least per rail and long term would be best suited as an OEM replacement.

picked up a set of gloss black rails here on the cheap and had them installed in less than two hours. can't beat a factory finish. check out my build thread for photos before and after. g'luck!
Jesus man!
That is one impressive build!!
It takes some guts to take a brand new X5 down like that!
The result is crazy good though!
So, did you have to take out the whole inner ceiling to remove the old rails?
Hard work?
Appreciate 1
monkiboy534.50
      12-11-2017, 03:15 PM   #28
monkiboy
Major
Dominican Republic
Rep

Quote:
Ok, thanks for the feedback!
I do have the truck in a indoor garage at night but winter in Sweden can be pretty cold and messy so maybe the best thing is to leave rails as they are. After all, I think getting the window trims done is more important than the rails.
Maybe, just maybe I can learn to live with the aluminium rails.....?
probably. the window trims can be purchased in gloss black pretty affordably new if i remember right. at least much cheaper than the rails. in fact you'll likely pay the same amount or more for vinyl than the oem replacement in gloss black just you would need to swap yourself to save the labor of the swap.
      12-11-2017, 03:17 PM   #29
monkiboy
Major
Dominican Republic
Rep

Quote:
Jesus man!
That is one impressive build!!
It takes some guts to take a brand new X5 down like that!
The result is crazy good though!
So, did you have to take out the whole inner ceiling to remove the old rails?
Hard work?
not hard work at all just a diligent effort. the a/b/c/d pillars, grab handles, upper console, visors, etc drop several inches and swap and reverse. there are factory manuals with the details available online if you're so inclined and can't figure it out but it really is straight forward except maybe the grab handle release.
      12-11-2017, 03:57 PM   #30
JsingX5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X1, 2017 X5

Has anyone ordered all the gloss black trim? I might try to price that out, just picked up a 17 Luxury line Imperial Blue and all the chrome is an eyesore, just replaced the grill and it's much better.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 04:19 PM   #31
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 M50d

Does anyone know which Thule claw clips do I need for the Thule Aerobars for fitting to the roof rails. Need to fit a roof box.
      12-11-2017, 04:32 PM   #32
lapa
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M50D View Post
Does anyone know which Thule claw clips do I need for the Thule Aerobars for fitting to the roof rails. Need to fit a roof box.
I have these for my X5. I can have a look tomorrow if I can find a model number on it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 07:44 AM   #33
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 M50d

Thanks
Would be good to know the reference number.
      12-12-2017, 11:18 AM   #34
lapa
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M50D View Post
Here you go, mate!
Attached Images

Last edited by lapa; 12-12-2017 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 05:25 PM   #35
fromkrypton
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
I thought I'd try to install a set myself but once I dropped one side of the headliner the side airbag is in the way of getting to the riff rail bolts. Do I really have to drop the entire headliner and remove the side airbags to access the bolts?

Any tricks or tips are appreciated
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 11:20 AM   #36
fromkrypton
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Any input? I'm thinking of giving it another try this weekend
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 01:24 PM   #37
LeopardM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 M3, '20 X3MC, '03 540i MSp

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdunski View Post
I've had my X5 with M sports package for about a month. I had the dealer install black kidney grills as part of the deal but completely didnt notice the aluminum roof rails... Definitely not spending 2k for dealer to replace them....waiting on a quote from car wrapping place to get them blacked out. I will update when I find out.
Attachment 1709613
Looks like you're in NOLA too, wanna meet up? I'm also in the NOLA bimmers group (don't know if you're in that). Great looking car, btw!
2003 540i MSport
1991 Red 318i (M50B25 engine swap)
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 06:21 AM   #38
monkiboy
Major
Dominican Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromkrypton View Post
I thought I'd try to install a set myself but once I dropped one side of the headliner the side airbag is in the way of getting to the riff rail bolts. Do I really have to drop the entire headliner and remove the side airbags to access the bolts?

Any tricks or tips are appreciated
yes, sir. just work one part at a time and be patient.