BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-15-2014, 09:35 AM   #1
CalgaryAndUK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 650 640D

Rear Comfort Seats - 40/20/40?

I believe I am right in saying the new X5 comes with 40/20/40 seats as standard? Can anyone confirm this? (Owners I guess). The Rear Comfort Seats option seems to change this to 60/40. Can anyone confirm or comment? I ski, so the middle thru-load area important!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #2
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryAndUK View Post
I believe I am right in saying the new X5 comes with 40/20/40 seats as standard? Can anyone confirm this? (Owners I guess). The Rear Comfort Seats option seems to change this to 60/40. Can anyone confirm or comment? I ski, so the middle thru-load area important!
Correct. I don't have rear Comfort Seat, just regular M Sport type.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
xdriverx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 35i Xdrive

40/20/40 split is standard on both comfort rear and factory rear seats.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
CalgaryAndUK
Enlisted Member
Rep

According to MY2015 Canadian Ordering Guide, "As the soft close doors have moved to the Premium Package, rear comfort seats become available as part of the Premium Seating Package. Rear comfort seats allow for the seatbacks to be tilted by 10 degrees (over six steps) and the seats can slide horizontally forward and back by 80mm, allowing for more storage room in the cargo compartment. The left and right 60/40 split seat can move independently, allowing for an individual setting for both rear passengers. Customers who utilize child seats receive an additional benefit from the sliding function, as they can move the child closer to the front passenger. " So Rear Comfort Seats are 60/40 split.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 11:15 AM   #5
CalgaryAndUK
Enlisted Member
Rep

OK now I get it! I have just realised the seats slide forward and backwards in a 60/40 split but the seat backs fold down in a 40/20/40 split. Mystery solved.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 01:58 PM   #6
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryAndUK
OK now I get it! I have just realised the seats slide forward and backwards in a 60/40 split but the seat backs fold down in a 40/20/40 split. Mystery solved.
Exactly correct.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 01:07 PM   #7
Buckerine
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Ok, another question on the rear comfort seats: do they recline backwards appreciably or is it roughly the same as the angle of the regular seats? Only complaint I have about the rear seats is that they may get uncomfortable on long trips.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 05:17 PM   #8
atlantiQue
bmw x5 x25d
Belgium
Rep
Drives: x5 x25d

They recline 10 degrees, out of which 6 degrees towards the back and 4 degrees forward (as compared to the default backseat position of the regular seats). Is it noticeable? Barely, I must say. I have not yet tested it with kids using it on the long ride so cannot say how it affects comfort but visually you can hardly see any difference. When you slide the seats forward the backseat could theoretically recline much more toward the back as there is a few centimeters unobstructed space behind but they don't. Rather disappointing.

Last edited by atlantiQue; 07-16-2014 at 05:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 10:05 PM   #9
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I disagree, it is definitely a noticeable difference from the most reclined to least. Not saying it's huge, but it's easily noticeable and useful especially if you have car seats in the mix. However, I am not sure how the fully reclined seat is compared to a standard seat that doesn't move.

Either way, I find the ability to slide the seats forward with a car seat attached a nice convenience when making Home Depot type trips where you need more cargo space, but don't necessarily need to put the seats down. I've even done this with my son in the car seat and he still have plenty of room for the ride home.

If I recall, the rear comfort seats also include upgrades to the actual padding or surfaces too. So in theory, more comfortable (you would hope from the name right?).

Here's a quick demo video. You can see the recline isn't massive, but is clearly a difference.

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 10:21 PM   #10
Mathme
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X530d

I agree with the chrisny. There is a noticeable difference between position 1 & 6 and I added these seats as I make lots of 4-hour road trips in the car to our vacation home. This seat will be nice for those in the backseat and will give them some more comfort.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 12:54 AM   #11
atlantiQue
bmw x5 x25d
Belgium
Rep

I was not comparing the difference between position +4 degrees forward and -6 degrees backwards but rather comparing to the default position of the standard seats which is somewhere in the middle of this range. Not denying the increased cargo space benefit, either. The most disappointing to me is the fact that, when slide forwards, the backseat does not recline beyond -6 degrees although it could as there is empty space behind it to let it go even further backwards.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 03:07 PM   #12
Mathme
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X530d

Here's a quick snap of the backseat in my car. The closer seat is in the "reclined" position, whereas the farther seat is in the first notch...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 07:31 PM   #13
Buckerine
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathme
Here's a quick snap of the backseat in my car. The closer seat is in the "reclined" position, whereas the farther seat is in the first notch...
Thanks all for the feedback. Doesn't seem like much of a recline at all. I rented a Ford Explorer this past week and the second row reclined much more, which ended up being quite nice for the back seat passengers. Why the heck wouldn't BMW do the same?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #14
atlantiQue
bmw x5 x25d
Belgium
Rep

The picture posted by Mathme shows the recline between the two extreme positions. No one would like to drive with the backseat set at the first notch (this is useful if you need cargo space behind, though). Standard backseat position would be somewhere in the middle so the recline is negligible, at least visually. Even Hyundai SantaFe (the new one) gives much more recline of the backseat than that. Having said this I ordered the comfort back seats and time will show how good they are for long travel.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 01:19 PM   #15
Buckerine
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantiQue View Post
The picture posted by Mathme shows the recline between the two extreme positions. No one would like to drive with the backseat set at the first notch (this is useful if you need cargo space behind, though). Standard backseat position would be somewhere in the middle so the recline is negligible, at least visually. Even Hyundai SantaFe (the new one) gives much more recline of the backseat than that. Having said this I ordered the comfort back seats and time will show how good they are for long travel.
That's useful to know, thanks. If that's the case, then it does seem like the recline is negligible. That's a shame. I swear, there are little things here and there about BMWs that I just don't understand. Certain features that appear on "lesser" cars and that don't require much additional cost, definitely not much additional engineering, are missing.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 08:52 AM   #16
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I know the rear comfort seats can slide forward to give you more cargo space but can they slide back more giving the 2nd row passengers more legroom in comparison to the standard seats?

I am trying to figure out if the X5 is a good fit for my family with a 2yo and possibly another baby in the near future. If the seat cushion could move back more than the standard seats then that would be great.
      08-07-2014, 06:36 PM   #17
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l.
I know the rear comfort seats can slide forward to give you more cargo space but can they slide back more giving the 2nd row passengers more legroom in comparison to the standard seats?

I am trying to figure out if the X5 is a good fit for my family with a 2yo and possibly another baby in the near future. If the seat cushion could move back more than the standard seats then that would be great.
I cannot confirm but would assume the comfort seats when all the way back are in the exact same position as the standard seats in terms of the seat base. That said, I have a 2 year old and 4 year old and the F15 does very well. Both are in car seats, one rear facing, one forward. I will say though, with the rear facing seat on the passenger side, you cannot put the passenger front seat back all the way, but I assume this would be the case for all or at least most SUV's in this class. Naturally that may depend to some degree on the car seats you use. That said, where the seat has to be is still comfortable for most passengers. May not be for someone over 6' or so, but still usable.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 10:07 AM   #18
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Thanks Chris.

I currently have a 2yo and the wife and I have been talking about trying for a 2nd kid. This is why I am trying to figure out if the X5 is suitable for my family or do I need to go bigger like a Highlander that has a more legitimate 3rd row option.

I want to be able to put my 2yo in her forward facing Diono RXT seat behind my wife and possibly put an infant rear facing in the middle position. This still leaves one near full size seat behind the driver for my wife if she needs to attend to the kids. Just not sure how i would go about this since I heard there isn't a latch system for the middle in the X5 so I would have to use the ones from the sides which means I would have to use the seat belt to lock down my 2yo's diono. Not sure if this is possible or even safe to do. Putting two kids on the sides will leave sorta of a unusable space in the middle which isn't ideal.

3rd row option for the X5 is too small to use and I don't like the idea in any suv actually. For me the biggest benefit of having a SUV over a sedan is the ability to load the trunk with baby stuff, groceries etc...without any hassle or stress. Right now loading my 550 is like playing a game of tetris and thats with one kid. Now getting a SUV with a 3rd row up all the time makes this matter even worse which defeats the whole reason to get an SUV for me. Much rather stick with having a 2nd row bench seat option if i can instead of going with a 2nd row pilot chair /3rd row combo.

Alan

Last edited by Alan l.; 08-08-2014 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #19
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Thanks Chris.

I currently have a 2yo and the wife and I have been talking about trying for a 2nd kid. This is why I am trying to figure out if the X5 is suitable for my family or do I need to go bigger like a Highlander that has a more legitimate 3rd row option.

I want to be able to put my 2yo in her forward facing Diono RXT seat behind my wife and possibly put an infant rear facing in the middle position. This still leaves one near full size seat behind the driver for my wife if she needs to attend to the kids. Just not sure how i would go about this since I heard there isn't a latch system for the middle in the X5 so I would have to use the ones from the sides which means I would have to use the seat belt to lock down my 2yo's diono. Not sure if this is possible or even safe to do. Putting two kids on the sides will leave sorta of a unusable space in the middle which isn't ideal.

3rd row option for the X5 is too small to use and I don't like the idea in any suv actually. For me the biggest benefit of having a SUV over a sedan is the ability to load the trunk with baby stuff, groceries etc...without any hassle or stress. Right now loading my 550 is like playing a game of tetris and thats with one kid. Now getting a SUV with a 3rd row up all the time makes this matter even worse which defeats the whole reason to get an SUV for me. Much rather stick with having a 2nd row bench seat option if i can instead of going with a 2nd row pilot chair /3rd row combo.

Alan

Not sure if this would be of help, but this guy does a review of child seats in the X5.

Part of his review includes having 2 child seats (passenger/center) with a person behind the driver, so that might be useful for the scenario you're describing.
      08-17-2014, 12:44 AM   #20
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Quote:
Thanks Chris.

Alan
There is no latch in the middle as there is nothing supporting the seat in front of it. In case of an accident the seat would sway massively. Our children sit on the sides and when necessary then my wife sits between the seats and I help her out. With children getting bigger she mostly sits in the front. Our dog might get the 3rd row seat now and then if it behaves :-)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 05:34 PM   #21
cvcabran
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07 X7 40i | G30 530e

Quote:
Thanks Chris.

Alan
Hi Alan,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but did you end up putting two car seats in the back of your X5? How did that work out? Asking because I now have two small children (rear facing and infant seat), and am considering 'upsizing' our F10 535i to an X5 as well.

Thanks,
Clarence

Previous:
F15 X5 40e | I01 i3 BEV | F15 X5 35i | F10 535i | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 01:27 PM   #22
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Yes. I have a Chicco Key Fit baby seat in the middle and a Diono RXT (forward facing) convertible seat in my X5. It works Perfectly and still have more than enough room for a full size adult to sit behind the drivers set. Works so much better in the X5 compared to my F10.

Alan