10-01-2015, 03:26 AM   #23
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
If it does change it is very subtle... So I can't really say if it does or not when I switch to Sport or sport+. I feel like the steering is firm yet light enough that you don't have to muscle the steering wheel to make turns...
I have AS and adaptive suspension on 30d with Mpackage (called 35d in the US/Canada). The steering really changes when put into Sport Mode, like really heavy. I would recommend AS always. I initially test drove on of the first F15 and the steering was VERY disappointing. The car had AS but was without the M package. I was was really thinking about sticking to my E71 with AS. A friend told me go ahead and you will see with the M package they will adjust that. In the end I do not know if it was the pre-production car that I test drove, but when my X5 came I was super pleased with the steering feel in normal but especially in sport mode. I have a 30d, test drove an M50d and was dissapointed only with the steering feel. Adding AS and DHP is the way to go. DHP way to expensive but I miss it. If you do not purchase DHP definitely get the adaptive suspension the least and some wider tires. It does help reduce the roll.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 10:54 AM   #24
PRican//M614
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6, 2015 BMW X5...

2Vp

Quote:
Originally Posted by vangoose View Post
Don't waste money on it, get 2VP, it fixes steering feel, makes it feel very close to old hydraulic.
Never heard of this. I want it asap I hate the girl steering...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 11:14 AM   #25
vangoose
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Thanks. When you switch the drive modes from say comfort to sport,with your adaptive m suspension .. does the steering characteristics change at all ... i.e become "heavier" .. particularly at higher speeds.

This was the effect I found with the DHP option.
Regardless suspension upgrade, steering firms up in Sport Mode. The problem is it still feels artificial and disconnect from road, although much better than Comfort mode.

I did test drove F15/15 with M Adaptive, but didn't get enough time to drive it in Sport mode at high speed. Comfort mode with M suspension has the same loose and disconnect feeling.

AS is still hydraulic so it might be the cheapest way to fix steering.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 12:35 PM   #26
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
I have AS and adaptive suspension on 30d with Mpackage (called 35d in the US/Canada). The steering really changes when put into Sport Mode, like really heavy. I would recommend AS always. I initially test drove on of the first F15 and the steering was VERY disappointing. The car had AS but was without the M package. I was was really thinking about sticking to my E71 with AS. A friend told me go ahead and you will see with the M package they will adjust that. In the end I do not know if it was the pre-production car that I test drove, but when my X5 came I was super pleased with the steering feel in normal but especially in sport mode. I have a 30d, test drove an M50d and was dissapointed only with the steering feel. Adding AS and DHP is the way to go. DHP way to expensive but I miss it. If you do not purchase DHP definitely get the adaptive suspension the least and some wider tires. It does help reduce the roll.
Thanks I'm just trying to understand all the points you make.

When you say "Adaptive suspension" with your M sport package, are you referring to the M Sport adaptive suspension? In that case you experience firm steering when in Sport mode?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 12:37 PM   #27
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vangoose View Post
Regardless suspension upgrade, steering firms up in Sport Mode. The problem is it still feels artificial and disconnect from road, although much better than Comfort mode.

I did test drove F15/15 with M Adaptive, but didn't get enough time to drive it in Sport mode at high speed. Comfort mode with M suspension has the same loose and disconnect feeling.

AS is still hydraulic so it might be the cheapest way to fix steering.
Thanks, but i'm afraid I wasn't able to replicate that. When i drove a base suspension car, regardless of drive mode i put the car in, i didn't feel like the steering changed.

On the DHP suspension car .... it was very very noticeable, and steering was indeed much "firmer" when drive mode was in sport or above.

Perhaps I better go and look for a active steering car and see what that's like.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 03:11 PM   #28
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
How does all this conversation lead to if Active Steering option is useful again?

Last edited by Shaw; 10-01-2015 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 12:05 AM   #29
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw
How does all this conversation lead to if Active Steering option is useful again?
I think useful is not in question for me because it is obvious that it is useful. Was trying to list added value on top of practicality that AS offers. Also there is a safety added bonus as the wheels will make a turn if car is sliding to assist stability.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 12:07 AM   #30
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607
Quote:
Thanks I'm just trying to understand all the points you make.

When you say "Adaptive suspension" with your M sport package, are you referring to the M Sport adaptive suspension? In that case you experience firm steering when in Sport mode?
Yes. At least from my experience. If you take msport with adaptive suspension and AS you are set in terms of harder steering feel. If you add DHP then you hav le the car as it should have been made from the factory. Pitty I did not take it.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 07:37 AM   #31
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
So I got the new Order guide (2016) for Canada and 2VM is now added. 2VM here is called Comfort Adaptive Suspension which I believe (doesn't say) it consists of Dynamic Damper Control + rear axle air suspension. This is the perfect thing I wanted.
Plus the Active Steering that is.
2VP eliminated the 3rd row seats, but 2VM doesn't and you can have them both....win-win.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 08:09 PM   #32
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
Yes it does.
Does it take time to get used to it?
What about having multiple vehicles that don't have that option; isn't this something that confuses you if you are hopping from one car to another on a regular basis?
It didn't take me any time to get used to it. I think you'll find it very natural feeling.

I haven't noticed any problem driving my wife's Volvo (other than the fact that it's a Volvo). :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 07:29 AM   #33
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw
So I got the new Order guide (2016) for Canada and 2VM is now added. 2VM here is called Comfort Adaptive Suspension which I believe (doesn't say) it consists of Dynamic Damper Control + rear axle air suspension. This is the perfect thing I wanted.
Plus the Active Steering that is.
2VP eliminated the 3rd row seats, but 2VM doesn't and you can have them both....win-win.
I don't think comfort suspension gives you torque vectoring and DHP, there is another pacakge for that irrespective of the m package
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 06:37 PM   #34
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't think comfort suspension gives you torque vectoring and DHP, there is another pacakge for that irrespective of the m package
We only have 2VP & 2VM here in Canada.
The former doesn't go with 3rd row, the latter does.
Also DHP is not offered here.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 03:05 AM   #35
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
We only have 2VP & 2VM here in Canada.
The former doesn't go with 3rd row, the latter does.
Also DHP is not offered here.
Thanks for clarifying. Looking forward to see your ride!
Appreciate 1