BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-28-2015, 08:25 PM   #1
realsgy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

How do I stop music (iDrive) from turning off?

Can't figure this out; when I am sitting in my car with the engine off, how do I prevent iDrive from turning off?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 10:20 PM   #2
IndyJer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F15 MSport

Garage List
'16 F15 XLine  [0.00]
'17 F15 MSport  [0.00]
It shuts off after a certain amount of time to preserve your battery. Just press the ignition button without your foot on the break to turn it back on.
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2015, 05:19 PM   #3
realsgy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJer View Post
It shuts off after a certain amount of time to preserve your battery. Just press the ignition button without your foot on the break to turn it back on.
Thanks, so no way of stopping it from turning off?

I find this dumb. The car KNOWS I am still inside. The doors haven't been opened. The key is inside. I bet there are pressure sensors in the seat too.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 10:44 PM   #4
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by realsgy
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJer View Post
Thanks, so no way of stopping it from turning off?

I find this dumb. The car KNOWS I am still inside. The doors haven't been opened. The key is inside. I bet there are pressure sensors in the seat too.
It doesn't matter whether the car knows you're inside or not. It's designed to turn off to conserve the battery. I'm sure in some opposite universe, some guy sits in his car listening to music and then passes out for a few hours. When he wakes up to find the battery drained, he thinks why wouldn't a $70k vehicle have the brains to turn off after a few minutes of inactivity. Oh wait, that's our universe
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2015, 02:35 AM   #5
kenng
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: x3 3.5d M sport

If you press the radio on/off button it comes back on ,so you can use the radio and sat nav,but not all the functions as before.It then doesn't switch off again
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 03:53 PM   #6
realsgy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR-NYC View Post
It doesn't matter whether the car knows you're inside or not. It's designed to turn off to conserve the battery. I'm sure in some opposite universe, some guy sits in his car listening to music and then passes out for a few hours. When he wakes up to find the battery drained, he thinks why wouldn't a $70k vehicle have the brains to turn off after a few minutes of inactivity. Oh wait, that's our universe
Sorry, but I don't buy this argument. The solution to the problem above is to shut down stuff when the battery charge drops below a certain level. (BTW I think the car already has a battery drain limiter that does this.)

Falling asleep happens, but it is a much more (like, 100,000 x) common scenario that someone would want to sit in the car for 10-20 minutes waiting (e.g. picking up your spawn) and listening to music/radio.

This is just bad design.

It might be a minor thing but this happens to me at least once every weekday, it is getting old fast. No other car I had / have had this issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 04:13 PM   #7
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry, but I don't buy this argument. The solution to the problem above is to shut down stuff when the battery charge drops below a certain level. (BTW I think the car already has a battery drain limiter that does this.)

Falling asleep happens, but it is a much more (like, 100,000 x) common scenario that someone would want to sit in the car for 10-20 minutes waiting (e.g. picking up your spawn) and listening to music/radio.

This is just bad design.

It might be a minor thing but this happens to me at least once every weekday, it is getting old fast. No other car I had / have had this issue.
No, its designed exactly to do what it's meant to do- limit the drain on your battery. The fact that they remain on for a second after you turn the motor off is a courtesy to you.

You realize that feature is not limited to BMW. Many cars keep the radio on and window switches active until you open to door or a certain amount of time elapses.

The answer to your issue is 1) keep the engine running or 2) press the start button again with your foot off the break and your radio can keep playing.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 04:55 PM   #8
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by realsgy View Post

This is just bad design.

It's not an argument it's how it's designed ..... Are you that lazy you can't push one button ? .... If you don't like it and it's such a big deal then maybe stick with the other car brand you had ?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 06:44 PM   #9
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

^^ I agree. Doesnt seem like that big of a deal to me. Press one button, and voila...back on. Only time where this can be annoying as well is if you're using the stereo to listen to music while washing the exterior of the vehicle. I gave up on this, the auto shut off made it painful.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 08:01 PM   #10
realsgy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMS View Post
It's not an argument it's how it's designed ..... Are you that lazy you can't push one button ? .... If you don't like it and it's such a big deal then maybe stick with the other car brand you had ?
I would not mind pressing a button if there was one. There is not. There is no button that I can press to prevent the music from turning off.

I can press a button to turn the music back on, but that is not the same thing.

I know this is how it is designed and my opinion is that it is a suboptimal design. There are better ways to protect the battery, as I noted above.

Or it could just let me press OK during the warning screen to cancel turning off.

Last edited by realsgy; 10-01-2015 at 08:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 05:37 AM   #11
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
I would not mind pressing a button if there was one. There is not. There is no button that I can press to prevent the music from turning off.

I can press a button to turn the music back on, but that is not the same thing.

I know this is how it is designed and my opinion is that it is a suboptimal design. There are better ways to protect the battery, as I noted above.

Or it could just let me press OK during the warning screen to cancel turning off.
Maybe take it up with BMWNA and point out the design flaw ........
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 06:13 AM   #12
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

My mom's porsche does this as well along with my new f150. It's quite normal and simply there to conserve the battery. Just press the damn button to turn it back on, seems like such a stupid thing to be worried and aggravated by.
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2015, 12:46 AM   #13
realsgy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post
My mom's porsche does this as well along with my new f150. It's quite normal and simply there to conserve the battery. Just press the damn button to turn it back on, seems like such a stupid thing to be worried and aggravated by.
I guess different things annoy different people, there is no need to call other's problems stupid.

This annoys me, because I need to deal with it every day, and it takes 10-15 seconds for my phone to reconnect. Sometimes it fails to reconnect automatically, and I have to fiddle with it. Sometimes the phone plays a bit more of a podcast before it realizes it disconnected, so I miss a sentence or two and need to rewind.

All this for nothing. There is no benefit. As I said above, I call BS on the battery protection claim. Give me a realistic scenario when this protects the battery. (Note: driver is in the car, never left or even opened the door.)

This is just bad design.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 01:50 PM   #14
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post
I guess different things annoy different people, there is no need to call other's problems stupid.

This annoys me, because I need to deal with it every day, and it takes 10-15 seconds for my phone to reconnect. Sometimes it fails to reconnect automatically, and I have to fiddle with it. Sometimes the phone plays a bit more of a podcast before it realizes it disconnected, so I miss a sentence or two and need to rewind.

All this for nothing. There is no benefit. As I said above, I call BS on the battery protection claim. Give me a realistic scenario when this protects the battery. (Note: driver is in the car, never left or even opened the door.)

This is just bad design.
Keep your car running and you never have to be annoyed by it again. I never understood people who sit in their car without the engine running anyway
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 04:29 PM   #15
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:

This is just bad design.
Just because it doesn't suit you does that mean it's bad design ?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 05:28 PM   #16
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Keep your car running and you never have to be annoyed by it again. I never understood people who sit in their car without the engine running anyway
Ummm, that's called wasting gas. So it's 75 degrees out and your waiting for your wife, etc. And want to listen to the radio, your going to leave the car idle for 30 minutes?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 05:30 PM   #17
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep

I hate that it shuts off so soon too. Yes, you can turn it right back on, but your sitting there jamming and bam! Silence. Still love the car though.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 06:06 PM   #18
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

"I got 99-problems, but a..."

As others have said, it's a battery/anti-stranded safety net. What if someone is waiting for an hour in the dead of winter and they let their kids watch a movie on iDrive? Battery will run down quite quickly if the shutoff doesn't happen. Should people be smart enough to start the engine for a bit before shutting down again and using iDrive? Sure, but not everyone is attentive like that.

Now that you mention that you're using your phone to stream, etc. realsgy you have a little more going in your favor due to the disconnects vs the annoyance of just listening to the radio/satellite directly.
Have you updated your BT firmware to the latest?
      10-03-2015, 06:45 PM   #19
BXdriver
Four stripes vehicle commander
Norway
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X5 45e

Quote:

This is just bad design.
I fully agree with you! It's kind of a luxury problem, but anyway...
So, while it's a not huge deal for me, and I am "OK" - wow how annoying. Especially when waiting in the car and watching a movie.

When the message "iDrive will soon shutdown etc..." shows up - THAT should be the time to press a button (the radio ON button works of course)
to interrupt a fully shutdown of the system.
From the warning message shows up and blocks the screen view + your waiting time until you actually can press the ON button + until the system is up and ready again - is simply too long.
Must be an easy software fix for BMW - if they wanted.

Best
Bent
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 07:15 PM   #20
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep

I left my parking lights on the other day and came back about 2hrs later, still on. I guess safety over rides my listening pleasure. Maybe I could run a power wire from the parking lights to the radio. Lol
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 08:25 PM   #21
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15
Quote:
Ummm, that's called wasting gas. So it's 75 degrees out and your waiting for your wife, etc. And want to listen to the radio, your going to leave the car idle for 30 minutes?
You're driving an SUV and you're worried about wasting gas? I've had valets keep cars running in both sub-zero temps and in 90+ degree weather while I ate dinner. I don't recall noticing the fuel gauge drop a tick 2 hours later.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 04:17 PM   #22
realsgy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
I left my parking lights on the other day and came back about 2hrs later, still on. I guess safety over rides my listening pleasure. Maybe I could run a power wire from the parking lights to the radio. Lol
You wrote 'came back', so you exited the car. I have no issue with the iDrive shutting off sometime after I exit the car (e.g. open the door, or it detects the key left the car).

Shutting down while I am sitting in it is what I have problem with, I expect more intelligence from a car that can read road signs and park itself.
Appreciate 0