realsgy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster View Post
"I got 99-problems, but a..."

As others have said, it's a battery/anti-stranded safety net. What if someone is waiting for an hour in the dead of winter and they let their kids watch a movie on iDrive? Battery will run down quite quickly if the shutoff doesn't happen.
When the iDrive shuts down after five minutes the people in the car will turn the system back on. So this battery protection measure does not work when the car is occupied.

There is a voltage dependent shutoff mechanism in the car as a second (and in this case, only effective) line of defense.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 12:15 PM   #24
IndyJer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F15 MSport

Garage List
'16 F15 XLine  [0.00]
'17 F15 MSport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
Ummm, that's called wasting gas. So it's 75 degrees out and your waiting for your wife, etc. And want to listen to the radio, your going to leave the car idle for 30 minutes?
If you have Auto Start/Stop activated, the engine will shut off and the radio will play for as long as you want (or until the battery drains). boom! You're welcome...

Last edited by IndyJer; 10-05-2015 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 12:17 PM   #25
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJer View Post
If you have Auto Start/Stop activated, the engine will shut off and the radio will play for as long as you want. boom! You're welcome...
If this works then LOL!
      10-05-2015, 12:20 PM   #26
IndyJer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'16 F15 XLine  [0.00]
'17 F15 MSport  [0.00]
Quote:
If you have Auto Start/Stop activated, the engine will shut off and the radio will play for as long as you want. boom! You're welcome...

I should clarify, Auto Start/Stop AND Auto Hold activated.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 01:57 PM   #27
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

If this is true, then there really are BMW Geniuses! They covered for the "stuck in traffic" scenario and allowed people to listen to soothing music as long as they want vs honking the horn!
Nice job IndyJer!
      10-05-2015, 03:28 PM   #28
realsgy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I should clarify, Auto Start/Stop AND Auto Hold activated.
I actually thought about using Auto Start/Stop and tried it once. As soon as I put the car in Park, the dash shows that Auto Start/Stop is disabled.

You say if I also turn on Auto Hold, don't put the car in P, this should work? Will try it this afternoon!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 04:43 PM   #29
IndyJer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'16 F15 XLine  [0.00]
'17 F15 MSport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by realsgy View Post

You say if I also turn on Auto Hold, don't put the car in P, this should work? Will try it this afternoon!

Thanks!
Yes it will work. Auto Hold and Auto Start/Stop activated. Its not without some issues, mainly that the entire car (except the engine) is on. HUD, gauges, climate control, etc all stay on and are draining your battery. Shutting the car off and not getting out only leaves iDrive and radio on, so the battery drain is more severe with auto hold + auto start/stop. But it solves your original issue...
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2015, 03:30 PM   #30
realsgy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes it will work. Auto Hold and Auto Start/Stop activated. Its not without some issues, mainly that the entire car (except the engine) is on. HUD, gauges, climate control, etc all stay on and are draining your battery. Shutting the car off and not getting out only leaves iDrive and radio on, so the battery drain is more severe with auto hold + auto start/stop. But it solves your original issue...
Tried yesterday and it works, so thanks!

As you wrote, everything stays on, including the parking sensors so that needs to be turned off too, but otherwise the setup works.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 05:34 AM   #31
mp3party
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e46Ci, BMW X6 50i

start/stop killing your starter and not really an option,

So, is there a way to code it somehow without using Auto H/start/stop features?
The other day I was at a party near lake and there were no "sound" so I "offroaded" my X6 to the party which was cool and turned on some sick music and had to re-press egnition every 12 minutes or so for 10 TIMES, which was not cool, when you talking with someone or dancing and like "hold on I need to keep it going"...

I Agree this is stupid design, back in a day I could enable music on my e46Ci for like 4 hours and than we start it by the "manual run" and that was awesome experience,
BMW should disable it when voltage is really low, not every 12 minutes "just in case"
Appreciate 0