12-24-2015, 11:03 PM   #23
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by primal574 View Post
Anybody on here went with an X5 over X5M?
i have owned an e70 48i msport. e70 x5m (among other suv/sav). now considering going f15 over f85 because of two reasons. the first being that i live in nyc and a fast vehicle as a daily driver means you pay for it 100% of the time but use it the way it was designed about 12-15% of the time (providing you go on road trips and vacations with it). the second being is it is overkill for my application and our child was extremely car sick in the x5m. too much torque, too much "herky-jerky" movement regardless of settings. too much all around. the f85 is a bit more refined over the e70 x5m but it is still too much vehicle for daily driver and i really don't know the purpose of the vehicle altogether. i have owned both rrs-sc and rrsc and both are more refined and passenger cars but a bit of an automotive paradox... both are ample athletic vehicles but neither can take a turn so they are basically "fast" suv on straight roads but you have to brake and slow down back to normal driving speeds to negotiate almost any real turn in the road. so they are both vehicles that really have no real reason having all that power if they do not handle well. if you're considering an suv that is spritely with the ability to be tossed around the macan turbo may be an option to consider. it is not an option for me because i just don't love the exterior or interior but on paper it does well and when i drove it the vehicle was paired well with the proper brakes and suspension which matches it's output.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2017, 02:20 PM   #24
lovesm3s
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M cars

My wife and I looked at getting the x5M but eventually decided it was too much of a car for her so we opted for a fully loaded x5 35i m sport with MPPK and MPE. I will probably add dinan on top of that once we get a chance to break it in. Again like some other member said if it were my daily I would probably get the x5m
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 06:49 PM   #25
Chadmatic
Registered Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by socialpro View Post
Anybody on here went with an X5 over an X5M? Besides obvious differences such as price, difference in power etc, was there anything that swayed you away from the X5M? Do you regret your decision? I know the cars are supposedly 'completely' different but are there any pros to X5 vs the M version?

Looking at picking up an SUV but dont know if I need all that power on daily basis as I have a nice 500+hp (gallardo) toy for the weekends. Would consider diesel, 35i or 50i in the X5.

Priority for me is quiet ride / cabin and great freeway manners, and somewhat fun to drive. Suggestions / input?

Im coming from a 2013 S4 that I have as a daily.
For me personally, there is no substitute for an SUV as a daily driver but I have learned the hard (and expensive) way that I don't need an SUV with ridiculous power as my daily. It became more and more difficult to drive my Cayenne Turbo in a civilized and respectable manner, it was just too easy to get to get addicted to the power and my driving habits seriously began to reflect that. I would much rather have an X5 35i (with MPPK) as my daily with a 911 in the garage for weekend fun (not as cool as your Lamborghini of course, but you get the point)!

Bonus: If you are a savvy, slightly-used car shopper, you can have fine examples of each for the price of a new X5M.

Edit: OMG! Just noticed that I responded to a post that has returned from the dead, sorry about that...

Last edited by Chadmatic; 11-26-2017 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
Kzang3237.00
      11-28-2017, 01:17 AM   #26
lovesm3s
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadmatic View Post

Edit: OMG! Just noticed that I responded to a post that has returned from the dead, sorry about that...
ugh i did the same thing
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 09:02 PM   #27
geedup35
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 X5 50i - DHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesm3s View Post
ugh i did the same thing
I'll revive it again because I'm in the same boat now and this was a great read. 😀

I wonder what he ended up with.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 09:56 PM   #28
sruss2354
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M & X5 50i M-Sport

It's an old thread but I figured I'd chime in.

I just pulled the trigger on an X5M and am coming from a 50i M-sport with a BMS tuner. I bought the M because I just had to know what it was like!

They are much different vehicles. The M power is unbelievable. With sport mode on, the M just hauls ass. I thought my 50i was fast, but dang!

The ride though... The M is much louder and a stiffer ride. the 50i is so smooth and quiet, especially on the freeway. Both have amazing torque.

If you want more power and can afford the M, there is no substitute. But as many people are saying, the M is just maybe a bit too much. I don't have any kids, so I will drive this for a little longer, and then I think I'll switch back for a highly upgraded 50i and then tune it up. We'll see though.... I might not be able to go back! lol

There's something about the pull, the engine, the growl (exhaust is way more intense), and speed of the M. You can't duplicate the M on the 50i (in my opinion), so I'd suggest if a quieter ride, lower cost, yet you still need a fast ride; 50i might be your cup of tea. Get the M-Sport option for sure though.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 06:52 PM   #29
Old-School
Rep
Drives: 135i

A big car & driving enthusiast - I drove a 2018 X5M today. LOVED IT. Have had many BMW's

Left though thinking of ordering 2019 X5 50i with 22" wheels, Dynamic Handling Package & M-Sport (which now adds M-Performance Exhaust) Primarily for the tech & some of the new features. But I could be dissuaded..

Seems in the stoplight to stoplight & rural back roads realm - mostly under 60mph - the 2 cars are not going to be light years apart...

..or are they?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 12:53 AM   #30
diesel733
Master of one
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP IMOLA RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnparkercom View Post
A big car & driving enthusiast - I drove a 2018 X5M today. LOVED IT. Have had many BMW's

Left though thinking of ordering 2019 X5 50i with 22" wheels, Dynamic Handling Package & M-Sport (which now adds M-Performance Exhaust) Primarily for the tech & some of the new features. But I could be dissuaded..

Seems in the stoplight to stoplight & rural back roads realm - mostly under 60mph - the 2 cars are not going to be light years apart...

..or are they?
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnparkercom View Post

..or are they?
That's what I did. X5 35i daily and M3 weekend. Best of both worlds.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Russmov1328.00
      08-18-2018, 08:42 AM   #31
Duke I
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

I drove both and enjoyed both. I went with the 50i as it is my DD -- great car, a lot of pep, but I did not need/want a SAV to handle like a sports car. I get out on back/dirt roads and use mine for comfortable long hauls, hauling stuff and getting out in the snow no matter the conditions -- skier.
2017 X4 M40i (gone); 2010 X5 (last of the NAs); 2007 550i (still missed, except in the snow); 1991 525i manual (great 17-year run)
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 09:27 AM   #32
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
I would. The cheer speed and the thrill that a person get from an X5M is exhilarating. Pure sex on wheels!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 12:49 AM   #33
Hockey_Guy_13
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15

I owned a 2012 E70 for 4 years and loved it. I was in the market to upgrade to a 2016 X5M and after not finding a used one I wanted, and having trouble digesting the price tag I was back to considering a newer 50i instead. I also didn't like the shifting set up without the park. I'm sure I can get used to it, but from what I read having my wife take it out, or have a valet park it, or anyone else drive it can be concerning.

So thinking there is not as much difference between the two, besides a big price jump and a lot of performance features, I opted for a 2016 50i with an M Sport package. Although my F15 is growing on me, I kind of now regret not getting the X5M. I feel like there are a lot of little features and details I am noticing, that just better on the X5M. My F15 also feels a lot more mass produced than my E70 and probably more than an F85 would. As much as I like the look of the M Sport trim, I now have all these M logos all over my car, but I can't really call it a "M", because I'm not in the "M" club so it kind of puts me in a weird spot. Just my 2 cents, but I am curious if anyone else has felt this way comparing the two.
Appreciate 0