BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-30-2017, 06:28 PM   #1
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Exclamation Harsh noise when accelerating at low RPMs

on my wife's 2017 X5 5.0L, when I accelerate lightly, let's say 20-30 KM/H, I hear some strange...I dunno if it's whining or grinding noise coming from somewhere, not sure where to be honest but it's like a brrrpbrrrp noise the moment I speed up a little bit it goes away...

Is this something I should be worried about and take it to the dealership or is this normal?
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

2023 Nissan Z Performance (Ikazuchi Yellow)
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 06:43 PM   #2
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: V8

Get it serviced. It doesn't sound normal.
      08-30-2017, 06:54 PM   #3
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanvas View Post
Get it serviced. It doesn't sound normal.
Alright thanks man
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

2023 Nissan Z Performance (Ikazuchi Yellow)
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 02:38 PM   #4
Sphinx-3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post
on my wife's 2017 X5 5.0L, when I accelerate lightly, let's say 20-30 KM/H, I hear some strange...I dunno if it's whining or grinding noise coming from somewhere, not sure where to be honest but it's like a brrrpbrrrp noise the moment I speed up a little bit it goes away...

Is this something I should be worried about and take it to the dealership or is this normal?
Is it more like a humming noise? more pronounced while decelerating at lower speeds?
If that's the case, then I have the same problem and it's so annoying.going to the dealer next week to get it checked.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 06:26 PM   #5
IndyJer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F15 MSport

Garage List
'16 F15 XLine  [0.00]
'17 F15 MSport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx-3 View Post
Is it more like a humming noise? more pronounced while decelerating at lower speeds?
If that's the case, then I have the same problem and it's so annoying.going to the dealer next week to get it checked.
What did you find out from dealer? Mine has an abnormal sound, most pronounced between 1500 and 2500 rpm. I can even feel it on the gas pedal / floor. Seems like the engine is really laboring hard. I know it’s not normal, my wife’s 2016 sounds butter smooth...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 09:59 AM   #6
Sphinx-3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJer View Post
What did you find out from dealer? Mine has an abnormal sound, most pronounced between 1500 and 2500 rpm. I can even feel it on the gas pedal / floor. Seems like the engine is really laboring hard. I know it’s not normal, my wife’s 2016 sounds butter smooth...
The problem was with the AC compressor. Once AC is off, the sound is gone, although it almost feels like it’s transmission. So they checked and they said it’s “ok”...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 06:24 PM   #7
IndyJer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'16 F15 XLine  [0.00]
'17 F15 MSport  [0.00]
Quote:
The problem was with the AC compressor. Once AC is off, the sound is gone, although it almost feels like it’s transmission. So they checked and they said it’s “ok”...
Thanks for the update. Mine was worse the last 2-3 weeks in cold weather when a/c was turned off. Warmed up to a nice 67 here today and the noise was completely gone. Guess i’ll Have to wait for it to come back before scheduling service appt
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 04:54 PM   #8
IndyJer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'16 F15 XLine  [0.00]
'17 F15 MSport  [0.00]
Took her on for service today, had the service tech go on a ride with me to make sure he was hearing what I hear. Got the expected, everything is normal update this afternoon. Not looking forward to this fight...

The X6 loaner they gave me is super quiet and smooth, something is definitely not right with my X5. I asked that the tech drive a new one off the lot in the am and then drive mine again. Also asked that they check ECU programming. They had issues getting MPPK installed so maybe something got messed up with the programming.

Fingers crossed they can find something!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 03:31 AM   #9
Sphinx-3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Took her on for service today, had the service tech go on a ride with me to make sure he was hearing what I hear. Got the expected, everything is normal update this afternoon. Not looking forward to this fight...

The X6 loaner they gave me is super quiet and smooth, something is definitely not right with my X5. I asked that the tech drive a new one off the lot in the am and then drive mine again. Also asked that they check ECU programming. They had issues getting MPPK installed so maybe something got messed up with the programming.

Fingers crossed they can find something!
Keep us posted
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 06:32 PM   #10
IndyJer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'16 F15 XLine  [0.00]
'17 F15 MSport  [0.00]
SA emailed today, says it is the power steering pump making the noice. Part is on backorder for 8-10 days.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 09:32 PM   #11
IndyJer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'16 F15 XLine  [0.00]
'17 F15 MSport  [0.00]
Quote:
SA emailed today, says it is the power steering pump making the noice. Part is on backorder for 8-10 days.
Replaced power steering pump and it didn’t resolve the issue. Now, at the request of BMW, they are replacing the front active sway bar. We shall see.

Although it’s been in the shop for 3 weeks now, I’m happy they are trying to resolve the issue rather than giving me the “operating as normal” response.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 10:50 PM   #12
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Replaced power steering pump and it didn’t resolve the issue. Now, at the request of BMW, they are replacing the front active sway bar. We shall see.

Although it’s been in the shop for 3 weeks now, I’m happy they are trying to resolve the issue rather than giving me the “operating as normal” response.
oh you have the active roll bar? mine used to growl or whine slightly on my old 550i. its just the nature of the beast i think. bmw tech told me all was good and normal.
hydraulic fluid from power steering pump goes to control module and then to the active roll bars. on my 550i, the control module for the active steering was located just in front of the passenger footwell, so the noise transfered into the cab a bit. i peeled up the passenger carpet and put down some dynamat noise absorbing mat, and it cut the sound in half to where it was barely noticeable. and even before i put the dynamat, i would be the only passenger who actually noticed the sound.
i had the car for about 100k miles and there was never an issue with the system, except for the 'noise'.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 07:41 PM   #13
IndyJer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'16 F15 XLine  [0.00]
'17 F15 MSport  [0.00]
The saga continues. Replaced the active sway bar with no change, they’re looking at the valve block that controls the sway bar now...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 01:59 PM   #14
mrod81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post

Hey mine is doing the same did you ever take it to the dealer? Any news on what it was?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 08:07 AM   #15
Duke I
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Mine was just at the dealer for 3 weeks for this sound. Mine occurs at low rpm with slightly increased load (not AC related and only happens when the car at or near operating temp) -- I can force it to happen on a slight incline by putting the transmission in 6th gear at about 35mph and the knocking/chirping happens as speed goes from 35mph to 45mph then goes away. The sound seems to be in front of the passenger footwell also. Try this to see if occurs with your car.

I know that this put the car in a unnatural setting but it was the way I was able to reliably recreate the noise for the dealer. The sound occurs under normal rpm/mph mapping.

My dealer replaced front axel without success. They are now stumped and have returned the car to me and will have me bring it in when the BMW rep is in town to drive with him in 2-3 weeks.

I fear I'm going to get the "it's normal" response but I do not plan to accept that. They at least need to tell me what is mechanically making the sound -- my biggest concern is that it is a sound coming from the drivetrain and will evolve into costly problems later. For me it's unacceptable for a $90k car to make such a sound -- a sound you might expect from an old pickup with 200k miles on it -- and it's embarrassing to have passengers/clients in my car when the sound occurs.

D
2017 X4 M40i (gone); 2010 X5 (last of the NAs); 2007 550i (still missed, except in the snow); 1991 525i manual (great 17-year run)

Last edited by Duke I; 02-14-2019 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 10:39 AM   #16
mrod81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke I View Post
Mine was just at the dealer for 3 weeks for this sound. Mine occurs at low rpm with slightly increased load (not AC related and only happens when the car at or near operating temp) -- I can force it to happen on a slight incline by putting the transmission in 6th gear at about 35mph and the knocking/chirping happens as speed goes from 35mph to 45mph then goes away. The sound seems to be in front of the passenger footwell also. Try this to see if occurs with your car.

I know that this put the car in a unnatural setting but it was the way I was able to reliably recreate the noise for the dealer. The sound occurs under normal rpm/mph mapping.

My dealer replaced front axel without success. They are now stumped and have returned the car to me and will have me bring it in when the BMW rep is in town to drive with him in 2-3 weeks.

I fear I'm going to get the "it's normal" response but I do not plan to accept that. They at least need to tell me what is mechanically making the sound -- my biggest concern is that it is a sound coming from the drivetrain and will evolve into costly problems later. For me it's unacceptable for a $90k car to make such a sound -- a sound you might expect from an old pickup with 200k miles on it -- and it's embarrassing to have passengers/clients in my car when the sound occurs.

D
That is exactly what my issue is! It sounds like it's coming from right under me. If I rev it to 2000ish RMP and keep it there I can make the noise all day long, it's annoying yes, but as you said I don't want it to be an issue later on.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 11:57 AM   #17
Duke I
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrod81 View Post
That is exactly what my issue is! It sounds like it's coming from right under me. If I rev it to 2000ish RMP and keep it there I can make the noise all day long, it's annoying yes, but as you said I don't want it to be an issue later on.
What year is your X5? Is it a 50i too?
2017 X4 M40i (gone); 2010 X5 (last of the NAs); 2007 550i (still missed, except in the snow); 1991 525i manual (great 17-year run)
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 01:17 PM   #18
Gtz1wickedest
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5

Quote:
Quote:
Had a similar grinding issue coming from passenger side foot well right where the transfer case is.. turned out to be my transfer case. Was replaced under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 01:48 PM   #19
mrod81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtz1wickedest View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Had a similar grinding issue coming from passenger side foot well right where the transfer case is.. turned out to be my transfer case. Was replaced under warranty.
Ouch...I know it was under warranty but did they tell you how much it was or would've been not under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 02:22 PM   #20
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
No, he has 35i

An easy way to rule out engine - just rev it in Neutral, if there's no abnormal sound, then it's not engine.
An easy way to rule out TC (transfer case) - pull the plug from TC itself (located on TC, closer to passenger side, underneath the car - the big black plug that goes to TC) and go for a drive to check if abnormal sound is gone or not (dash board error lights will come on due to TC been unplugged, so be aware). In fact this is how dealership checks for TC failure.
To rule out A/C - turn it off/on lol.

Last edited by DuSh; 02-14-2019 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 02:26 PM   #21
Gtz1wickedest
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ouch...I know it was under warranty but did they tell you how much it was or would've been not under warranty?
Without warranty the bill would've been $5500 parts and labor for a new transfer case.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 02:31 PM   #22
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Without warranty the bill would've been $5500 parts and labor for a new transfer case.
Sounds about right for the dealer. TC itself new is about $2.6k (from BMW) and $1k for the rest (fluids, install etc).
Appreciate 0