BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-18-2017, 06:12 AM   #1
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 M50d

Run Flats

I have a set of Pirelli PZero tyres for the summer, and after swapping them for my winters noticed a large screw imbedded into the tread about a third along from the outside. This is on the drivers side front tyre.
Now I'm experiencing various reports on whether this can be plug repaired or new tyre needed?
What is the general rule with runflats - are they repairable or is a new tyre needed?
Cheers in advance
      11-18-2017, 06:24 AM   #2
ams3177
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 30D MSports

Garage List
2014 BMW 530D  [0.00]
I had a similar situation few weeks back, mine was found during routine service inspection by BMW service technician. As per what they told me, since it is lodged on the outer side of tyre (and not towards the centre) it needs to be replaced and not repaired (or can't be repaired). They also cautioned me to change both tyres (in my case both rears) to reduce the risk of straining XDrive system (due to different tire tread depth and as a result different circumference. I ended up changing both... after all tyre is much cheaper to replace than to deal with drivetrain related faults.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 08:58 AM   #3
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

Discount tire will repair, if it's repairable, with a patch from the inside. I find them to be the best for flat repair because they will repair, if it falls into guidelines for repair. In my experience, most tire "repair" shops will just say "not repairable" without regard for where the hole is located.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 12:19 PM   #4
mijoed
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40e MSport

Found a nail in a front tyre during the MOT last year. It passed the MOT again this year (same nail with about 3000 miles on it) and the BMW tech told me to leave it. Either it’s not all the way through or it’s doing a good job plugging the hole.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 09:32 PM   #5
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

Bad news. Pirelli runflats are not repairable. That is Pirelli’s policy, you can search it on the web. Had the same thing happen and Discount refused to repair it due to the policy. Other runflat brands can be repaired. I forget which others cannot.

You may get lucky and find someone who will fix it. Pirelli does have a replacement policy for this situation and depending on your miles on the tires they may replace it. Again, see their website.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 11:20 PM   #6
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnx5er View Post
Bad news. Pirelli runflats are not repairable. That is Pirelli’s policy, you can search it on the web. Had the same thing happen and Discount refused to repair it due to the policy. Other runflat brands can be repaired. I forget which others cannot.

You may get lucky and find someone who will fix it. Pirelli does have a replacement policy for this situation and depending on your miles on the tires they may replace it. Again, see their website.
I previously thought that a screw in a tire can be repaired if it's in the thread portion of tire - no matter run flat or not. If it's in a sidewall - then it can't be repaired no matter run flat or regular tire. Basically I thought it doesn't matter RFT or not - what mattered was a location of a puncture (and it's size).
However, what you are saying is that Pirelli RFT can't be repaired even if screw is in the thread? I understand it may be some weird Pirelli policy, but I doubt Pirelli RFTs are made any different than any other RFT brand. I mean this is not a rocket science - it's just a reinforced metal mesh sidewall. I highly doubt Pirelli has some extraterrestrial tire tech lol

Last edited by DuSh; 11-18-2017 at 11:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 06:18 AM   #7
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

I’m not saying you can’t try to repair them, just saying Pirelli won’t let authorized shops do it. First the good news - the road hazard warranty Pirelli includes free

"If a Run Flat tire becomes unserviceable due to workmanship or material irregularities or road hazard injury during the initial warranty period, the tire will be replaced to the owner at no charge. The initial warranty period lasts one year from the date of original retail purchase (purchase receipt required) or within the first 2/32" of original tread, whichever occurs first. After the initial warranty period, if a Run Flat tire becomes unserviceable due to workmanship and material irregularities or road hazard injury, the owner must pay the cost for a comparable new Pirelli brand or PTNA private brand replacement tire on a pro-rated basis.”

Here is the list of run flat brands and their repair policies.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=226
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      11-19-2017, 10:48 AM   #8
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnx5er View Post
I’m not saying you can’t try to repair them, just saying Pirelli won’t let authorized shops do it. First the good news - the road hazard warranty Pirelli includes free

"If a Run Flat tire becomes unserviceable due to workmanship or material irregularities or road hazard injury during the initial warranty period, the tire will be replaced to the owner at no charge. The initial warranty period lasts one year from the date of original retail purchase (purchase receipt required) or within the first 2/32" of original tread, whichever occurs first. After the initial warranty period, if a Run Flat tire becomes unserviceable due to workmanship and material irregularities or road hazard injury, the owner must pay the cost for a comparable new Pirelli brand or PTNA private brand replacement tire on a pro-rated basis.”

Here is the list of run flat brands and their repair policies.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=226
This an interesting proposition but sadly looks like it only applies to you guys in the USA. Never heard of this in the UK unless anyone knows otherwise
      11-19-2017, 10:52 AM   #9
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ams3177 View Post
I had a similar situation few weeks back, mine was found during routine service inspection by BMW service technician. As per what they told me, since it is lodged on the outer side of tyre (and not towards the centre) it needs to be replaced and not repaired (or can't be repaired). They also cautioned me to change both tyres (in my case both rears) to reduce the risk of straining XDrive system (due to different tire tread depth and as a result different circumference. I ended up changing both... after all tyre is much cheaper to replace than to deal with drivetrain related faults.
This seems to be a harsh and expensive remedy . What tyre tread depth did you have left as I am half way through mine?
      11-19-2017, 10:55 AM   #10
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

This is the culprit!
Not wanting to have to change for a new tyre I'm hoping a repair will do?
Attached Images

11-19-2017, 12:36 PM   #11
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

It is hard to see how much mm tread is left on the tyre, but maybe they are not far off needing changing anyway?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 02:39 PM   #12
xray3d3
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Co View Post
It is hard to see how much mm tread is left on the tyre, but maybe they are not far off needing changing anyway?
As others have said you can fix this. I had an Exacto blade lodged in my P Zero RFTs and my local tire shop fixed it with a patch from the inside. It was a quick cheap fix that saved me hundreds of dollars as I was outside of the Pirelli warranty period.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 12:10 AM   #13
ams3177
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 30D MSports

Garage List
2014 BMW 530D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M50D View Post
Quote:
This seems to be a harsh and expensive remedy . What tyre tread depth did you have left as I am half way through mine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M50D View Post
Quote:
I know
I had around 4mm+ left on both them. I did check with one more BMW service centre and their advice was identical
I saw the pic posted by you, mine was in similar position but on a far side rear tyre. I am not sure if in UK we have anyone who can repair runflats. If you do find anyone it will be a good reference to have.
Best of luck
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 04:09 AM   #14
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

1st yr replacement in Canada, dealer replaced if you inform them.
I replaced RF at dealer, they specify on invoice, client declined new tire and no warranty on repair. My indy plugged another tire. Yours should be pluggable.

Where warranty applies, one could consider Pirelli. I believe most don't, with most opting nonRF, no warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 06:05 PM   #15
Stev_chu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5

Anyone here can recommend a good brand all season none run flats for the 50i? And what sizes? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 11:41 AM   #16
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev_chu View Post
Anyone here can recommend a good brand all season none run flats for the 50i? And what sizes? Thanks
Continental dws06 for 20”. Hands down the best.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 12:06 PM   #17
Stev_chu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev_chu View Post
Continental dws06 for 20”. Hands down the best.
Thank you friend
Appreciate 0