11-26-2017, 12:47 AM   #1
arjunkrsna
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive50i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Issues with CPO 2015 BMW X5 xDrive50i

I purchased a Certified Pre-Owned BMW X5 from a dealership and it has had enough issues to deem the car as a non CPO.

Here is the list of issues that i have faced so far. I am mentioning both the resolved and unresolved issues. THIS IS AFTER THE CAR IS CPO AND SIGNED OFF BY TECHNICIAN, SERVICE MANAGER and PRE-OWNED MANAGER.

1. CPO car did not mention the Pad Measurement for Left Rear and Right Rear brakes.

2. Rear left door panel was damaged.

3. Windshield is NON-OEM

4. Alloy wheels were painted 2-3 times before they could be brought to a CPO condition.

5. Another BMW dealer informed about Oil Leak that should have been caught during the CPO Inspection for Fluid Leaks. Estimate this to be a 37 to 47 hours of labor.

6. Rain Sensor Operation is failing. This is due to a NON-OEM Windshield installed.

7. iDrive Rotary Knob was stuck. Car had to be reprogrammed.

8. Cigarette lighter in the arm rest glove box was not working.

9. Airbag caps on the A-pillar was missing.

10. CPO car had dog hair all over the car.

How can i deal with this dealer? Can someone share some things i can do to tackle this dealership?

Thanks,
Arjun
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 01:06 AM   #2
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

CPO doesn't guarantee that car will be like new - e.g. free of scratches etc., there's always going to be something, but your list is definitely not normal. it's just crazy man
I would write an email describing everything to manager and cc: it to BMW NA or whoever is overwatching dealerships in US. If dealership will give you runaround then probably escalate it further by calling/emailing to BMW NA

My thinking is that points # 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 have to be addressed by dealership. #10 - they just didn't cleaned it good enough, I had same experience. #2 - same with me, I had some passenger door trim scratch - but that's something that CPO may not address - some scratches and dents and light damage is acceptable (of course it depends on degree of damage). #1 - is easy to ask them to check
You know I sometimes wish Tesla to take over the car industries - to exclude those dealerships and deal with factory directly, seeing how some dealers operate with no respect to buyers
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 05:48 AM   #3
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 F15

I would return it to be honest. Didn't you look at it prior to driving off? What you're describing is beneath the BMW brand! I bought an X5 with a prior salvage title in a flood situation from an individual whom I had never met before and car was as good as new!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 07:05 AM   #4
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunkrsna View Post
I purchased a Certified Pre-Owned BMW X5 from a dealership and it has had enough issues to deem the car as a non CPO.

Thanks,
Arjun
So sorry to hear this man. Sigh.

How long have you had this car? I know California has tough laws, so I think you should be pretty aggressive and confronting the dealer with whatever issues you have clear documentation to support. Pictures, service records, other dealership reports, ...

Don't make this about emotions. Just facts. Document, document, document.

Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 10:46 AM   #5
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

And this is why a pre-purchase inspection is *very* important even with a cpo. Don’t be scared to lawyer up. You want to get rid of it ASAP.

Last edited by bmwx5er; 11-26-2017 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 11:11 AM   #6
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

BMW CPO PDF checklist here: http://cache.bmwusa.com/Pdf_f42b33e1...9-c1501b4954b7

It sounds as if this dealer failed to properly complete the CPO process under BMW NA guidelines. A BMW NA CPO audit maybe necessary as I highly doubt that this is the first vehicle this dealer has let slip through the crack.
Appreciate 0