12-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #23
asus389
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 328i

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I think the "no gap" lights look pretty good on the new X5. They look better than on the F30 3 series IMHO. Nice ride, enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #24
kqian
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

恭喜提车!全部办完要多少?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #25
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
Nice review and insight.. Many thanks

BMW / Audi puts most others to same in the tech dept ( my opinion )

Drives me nuts in my LR - Even the new RR Sport is using dated tech from its '13 model.

X5 in my future and looks much better in person I would agree. I just wish it was larger - umm LR4 like haha and with the up coming diesel... take a bow X5
      12-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #26
lilmacarony
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 650i CV, 91 318i, 22 VW ID4

Weather Icon

How did you get the weather app on the split screen? Is that part of BMW Online? Great Ride BTW...I like the Luxury Line best myself.....cannot stand the M Sport lower grills...they need to "open" and not "closed".....great review!

Previous: 2018 Mineral Gray on Coral Red M Sport 330e, 2015 Arravani Grey i3 REx Giga World, 2013 Alpine White on Coral Red 328i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #27
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

this X5 Looks absolutely awesome!
OP,
this great write up makes me want to get one...

Jersey Plates! yey!!!
I got my M3 from BMW of Tenafly, even though I'm in NYC... and so for the next purchase I will check-in with your dealer as well.
      12-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #28
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Looks great! Any reason why you did not get the M Sport?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #29
cashsosa
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP / 2011 X5 5.0 Dinan

Looks great! I just got my 2014 M5 CP on Saturday. Having some issues with the new Nav system and Pandora / Spotify. It went into the shop today so I won't get it back till Friday but I'm interested to see if you are streaming via USB or Bluetooth? Are you using the "Connected Apps" way for Pandora? I found that if I used the "Connected Apps" for Pandora it renders the phone disabled. If you hit any button on the iPhone it kills the music and you have to completely start over. Very annoyed at this point. Additionally, I just ordered my X5 5.0 M-Sport last month so I'm expecting it in any day now too. Appreciate your review greatly. I currently have the 5.0 from 2011 but I did the Dinan software upgrade. I haven't driven the new one yet so I'm excited to see how it stacks up. Thanks again for taking the time.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #30
MtgMaster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
Nice review but the active steering comment is a little off IMO. Active steering does not make the steering lighter, it changes the ratio. The wheels turn more with less movement of the wheel at low speed. I've had it on my last 3 cars and couldn't do without it. If you don't want the steering as light put it in sport. Firms it up a lot on my f15. Light in comfort, firm in sport. Perfect...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #31
newa///M
Newa335
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT / 08' 335i E92 6MT

Congrats John!
      12-05-2013, 12:45 AM   #32
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

"Do not get Active steering. The X5 steering is so light, I wouldn't do it. It's almost too light for me."

Active steering is really good/different with the Msport package. Tried on one of the cars without and it is true it is too light, no feel (even in sport mode you can barely tell the difference). Really huge difference with the M package. Awesome option, really well executed with the M package.

Thanks for your awesome review!

Last edited by 1230vani; 12-05-2013 at 12:47 AM.. Reason: trying to get the quote to work
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #33
Johndong888
John
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 M3, '18 S560, '16 G63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Enjoy! Nice review and pics
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcnac888 View Post
what deal did you get from Ali (mt laural)?
We needed a car asap so we were in and out of the dealer within 30mins. We barely pushed for a deal since their allocations were filling up pretty quickly but we did get a little discount but more importantly we got oem bmw accessories for the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riM3 View Post
Been sitting in mine for two hours (wife just took over driving) and I haven't for a moment wished I was in my old M3, X3 M-Sport or 335i M-Sport's seats. Granted, I would mind those either.... but it's not like the standard seats are burlap bags, stuffed with hay then zip-tied to the floor. They're fine seats, probably some of the best non-option seats BMW makes. Anyway, despite what this forum might lead you to believe, MC are by no means a requirement.

For the money, I'd take the DA package over MC.
Then you would be perfectly fine with the standard seats. I dont' even mind them anymore. I have been driving the car a lot more often these days than I thought I would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i001947 View Post
nice
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I still can't get on with the F15 styling, but congrats on the new car.
That's what I thought at first but it looks tremendously better in real life. I hated the picture shots of it haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodite10 View Post
What a cool combo - An E92 M3 and F15 X5!!

Looks good man..
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear From Jax View Post
Great review man! Good pics also. Love your M3 btw.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlin View Post
Wow, one of the best reviews I've read lately. Thanks for sharing on congrats on the wonderful new ride!
Thanks for those kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
Awesome review! Agreed with on all points!
Gratz to you too!

Current - 2012 AW/FR E92 M3 | 2014 AW X5 | 2015 MB S550 | 2016 RR V8 (White FTW)
Mods - BPMTune Stg1/Servo, Euro Visors & Side Mirror, IND Gloss Blk Pkg, OEM Perf. CF Trim/Spoiler, Grills, Lights, Pedals, Umnitza V4 AE, ModeCarbon GTS V1, 19" HRE P40
Sold - 2008 BSM/Black E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #34
Johndong888
John
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asus389 View Post
I think the "no gap" lights look pretty good on the new X5. They look better than on the F30 3 series IMHO. Nice ride, enjoy!
They both grew on me surprisingly. The sedan looks pretty good now with the right combo. I can't get use to the 4 series coupe taillight though. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kqian View Post
恭喜提车!全部办完要多少?
谢谢! 总共包括税要差不多六万六-六万七, 还没算利息。

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iUSN View Post
Nice review and insight.. Many thanks

BMW / Audi puts most others to same in the tech dept ( my opinion )

Drives me nuts in my LR - Even the new RR Sport is using dated tech from its '13 model.

X5 in my future and looks much better in person I would agree. I just wish it was larger - umm LR4 like haha and with the up coming diesel... take a bow X5
I used to think Lexus had some pretty good technology but the new F series with NBT has some pretty nifty stuff in it. We considered the new RR but we couldn't do the wait. The outgoing model is still nice but I think the tech carried over so it's not exactly the new system. We also needed another car asap.

I personally have no experience with the Audi tech though. Would consider trying one day :GASP: lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmacarony View Post
How did you get the weather app on the split screen? Is that part of BMW Online? Great Ride BTW...I like the Luxury Line best myself.....cannot stand the M Sport lower grills...they need to "open" and not "closed".....great review!
Yeah the new weather app is part of the BMW Online subscription. So now they not only include the 4 year sub for BMW Assist, it also includes 3 year for BMW online as well as 7 years (I'm pretty sure it's 7 years) for BMW Remote. The weather app is pretty good and actually useful. It obviously also has the picture search as well as google POI search (which can be much better than the Navigation's built-in POI search)

I like the Luxury line alot. We almost forgot to get it lol. The Msport has that really nice steering wheel but I cannot stand the front air grills. What is wrong with them!!! It's soo freaking ugly. The Euro-specs has a nice front air grill. Another bonus with the Msport is that it will come with the Rectangular exhaust for a slight more aggressive look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimabimmer View Post
this X5 Looks absolutely awesome!
OP,
this great write up makes me want to get one...

Jersey Plates! yey!!!
I got my M3 from BMW of Tenafly, even though I'm in NYC... and so for the next purchase I will check-in with your dealer as well.
I'm a New Yorker! Represent! lol Never hurts to shop around in the tri-state area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Looks great! Any reason why you did not get the M Sport?
the air duct in the front! lol. Other than that, it's a great package, I would mod mine if it was my DD to the euro specs but it's not so the Luxury pkg will do. I am not sure what the Msport has for the sideskirts but the normal package has just black sideskirts and they're hideous if you don't add running boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashsosa View Post
Looks great! I just got my 2014 M5 CP on Saturday. Having some issues with the new Nav system and Pandora / Spotify. It went into the shop today so I won't get it back till Friday but I'm interested to see if you are streaming via USB or Bluetooth? Are you using the "Connected Apps" way for Pandora? I found that if I used the "Connected Apps" for Pandora it renders the phone disabled. If you hit any button on the iPhone it kills the music and you have to completely start over. Very annoyed at this point. Additionally, I just ordered my X5 5.0 M-Sport last month so I'm expecting it in any day now too. Appreciate your review greatly. I currently have the 5.0 from 2011 but I did the Dinan software upgrade. I haven't driven the new one yet so I'm excited to see how it stacks up. Thanks again for taking the time.
Damn gratz on the M5! I still can't decide between M5 or the M6 for next year, the price difference for the same engine is killing me lol.

So yes, I used Bluetooth streaming but from my own music library. I don't think I tried streaming Pandora via bluetooth. I prefer the music interface for it. But you are correct, when you boot up the APP on the phone, it renders the phone useless. If you were to ever exit or even switch the app, it will disconnect. I think their reason behind it is so that you're not suppose to be touching the phone anymore after you connect for convenience and safety. The Siri voice command via Steering wheel still works (you just hold the mic button slightly longer to active Siri).

Gratz on that xdrive 5.0! It's gonna be a BEASTTT! I was surprised at the turbo even in the 3.5 X5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtgMaster View Post
Nice review but the active steering comment is a little off IMO. Active steering does not make the steering lighter, it changes the ratio. The wheels turn more with less movement of the wheel at low speed. I've had it on my last 3 cars and couldn't do without it. If you don't want the steering as light put it in sport. Firms it up a lot on my f15. Light in comfort, firm in sport. Perfect...
That's right, Active steering is supposed to change the ratio of the steering wheel as well. It won't be for everyone at the pricing but some people do swear by it. I have no issue with the current steering ratio so we opted out. We went to a not so friendly place in Delaware the other day and had to make a U-Turn on a small 2 lane on each side of median road and had no problems. Yeah the steering firmness is cool. I have the Servo Tune from BPM on the M3 and it's soo nice. Can't wait to see what he has for the F cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newa///M View Post
Congrats John!
THanks sherpa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
"Do not get Active steering. The X5 steering is so light, I wouldn't do it. It's almost too light for me."

Active steering is really good/different with the Msport package. Tried on one of the cars without and it is true it is too light, no feel (even in sport mode you can barely tell the difference). Really huge difference with the M package. Awesome option, really well executed with the M package.

Thanks for your awesome review!
Yeah our test drive were very limited since it was such a new car. I have never had it in any of my old BMWs and never wished I had such an option so we just went with prior list.

Current - 2012 AW/FR E92 M3 | 2014 AW X5 | 2015 MB S550 | 2016 RR V8 (White FTW)
Mods - BPMTune Stg1/Servo, Euro Visors & Side Mirror, IND Gloss Blk Pkg, OEM Perf. CF Trim/Spoiler, Grills, Lights, Pedals, Umnitza V4 AE, ModeCarbon GTS V1, 19" HRE P40
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #35
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

Can you give more details of the BMW online subscription? Is that standard or you have to pay for that service? Tks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndong888 View Post
They both grew on me surprisingly. The sedan looks pretty good now with the right combo. I can't get use to the 4 series coupe taillight though. Thanks!

谢谢! 总共包括税要差不多六万六-六万七, 还没算利息。

I used to think Lexus had some pretty good technology but the new F series with NBT has some pretty nifty stuff in it. We considered the new RR but we couldn't do the wait. The outgoing model is still nice but I think the tech carried over so it's not exactly the new system. We also needed another car asap.

I personally have no experience with the Audi tech though. Would consider trying one day :GASP: lol

Yeah the new weather app is part of the BMW Online subscription. So now they not only include the 4 year sub for BMW Assist, it also includes 3 year for BMW online as well as 7 years (I'm pretty sure it's 7 years) for BMW Remote. The weather app is pretty good and actually useful. It obviously also has the picture search as well as google POI search (which can be much better than the Navigation's built-in POI search)

I like the Luxury line alot. We almost forgot to get it lol. The Msport has that really nice steering wheel but I cannot stand the front air grills. What is wrong with them!!! It's soo freaking ugly. The Euro-specs has a nice front air grill. Another bonus with the Msport is that it will come with the Rectangular exhaust for a slight more aggressive look.

I'm a New Yorker! Represent! lol Never hurts to shop around in the tri-state area.

the air duct in the front! lol. Other than that, it's a great package, I would mod mine if it was my DD to the euro specs but it's not so the Luxury pkg will do. I am not sure what the Msport has for the sideskirts but the normal package has just black sideskirts and they're hideous if you don't add running boards.

Damn gratz on the M5! I still can't decide between M5 or the M6 for next year, the price difference for the same engine is killing me lol.

So yes, I used Bluetooth streaming but from my own music library. I don't think I tried streaming Pandora via bluetooth. I prefer the music interface for it. But you are correct, when you boot up the APP on the phone, it renders the phone useless. If you were to ever exit or even switch the app, it will disconnect. I think their reason behind it is so that you're not suppose to be touching the phone anymore after you connect for convenience and safety. The Siri voice command via Steering wheel still works (you just hold the mic button slightly longer to active Siri).

Gratz on that xdrive 5.0! It's gonna be a BEASTTT! I was surprised at the turbo even in the 3.5 X5.

That's right, Active steering is supposed to change the ratio of the steering wheel as well. It won't be for everyone at the pricing but some people do swear by it. I have no issue with the current steering ratio so we opted out. We went to a not so friendly place in Delaware the other day and had to make a U-Turn on a small 2 lane on each side of median road and had no problems. Yeah the steering firmness is cool. I have the Servo Tune from BPM on the M3 and it's soo nice. Can't wait to see what he has for the F cars.

THanks sherpa!

Yeah our test drive were very limited since it was such a new car. I have never had it in any of my old BMWs and never wished I had such an option so we just went with prior list.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #36
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Very nice write up and the X5 looks great! I'm still debating on getting a F15 M Sport or keeping my E70 M Sport...
      12-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #37
Johndong888
John
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971 View Post
Can you give more details of the BMW online subscription? Is that standard or you have to pay for that service? Tks
It should be included with your vehicle. You don't have to pay until after 3 years. I guess that is how they try to entice you but I am not sure what the subscription cost would be after the 3 years.

Best, John

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #38
Johndong888
John
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeM3 View Post
Very nice write up and the X5 looks great! I'm still debating on getting a F15 M Sport or keeping my E70 M Sport...
I'm sure either way you will be fine. Usually the deciding factor is the need for a new car and warranty for us.

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #39
MissVito
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 M60i, M240ix

Thanks for the review-I just ordered mine, almost the same as yours

I enjoyed your review and I'm excited to get my new X5. I got almost the same as yours except sDrive (don't need xDrive in FL) If I still lived in NJ (Marlton) I would definitely get xDrive...

I ordered the Mocha dakota leather and the lighting package. No running boards-they always rub dirt on my legs somehow, lol. I'm still waiting for the production #-should have it any day. They told me it would be ready February/March timeframe.

Congrats on yours and good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 10:48 PM   #40
bim_power
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Ivory Leather white gets dirty pretty easily, it's already dirty at the moment due to a trip to Home Depot. It came off easily so no issue there.
We are considering White with ivory/black interior also. How is the interior holding up? How often do you have to clean it? The ivory/black sure looks nice, but we also have 2 young kids. Our current x5 is black on black and would like a lighter interior for change.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 12:40 AM   #41
Johndong888
John
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bim_power
Quote:

Ivory Leather white gets dirty pretty easily, it's already dirty at the moment due to a trip to Home Depot. It came off easily so no issue there.
We are considering White with ivory/black interior also. How is the interior holding up? How often do you have to clean it? The ivory/black sure looks nice, but we also have 2 young kids. Our current x5 is black on black and would like a lighter interior for change.

Thanks
hey. post from my mobile so please excuse me.

the interior is holding up pretty well thus far. I thought it would be pretty dirty but its not. we logged about 2.5k on it so far. I only cleaned it on day 3 or 4 because something got on the seat. other than that, we haven't cleaned it yet due to the cold weather. holding up just fine.

I can't answer the kid question but I have 9 and 7 year old nieces and nephew in the car several time over the past two months for the holidays . still doing okay but its not like they eat or drink in the car.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 11:13 PM   #42
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

I have had a LOT of BMW's. I opted for the MC seats in a '06 550 sport and have been spoiled for life, lol. The sport seats in my '09 M3 were nice but not as comfortable. I'm currently in an '11 X5 3.5 sport with the full Nappa interior and the MC seats. They make the vehicle extremely comfortable. The leather dash appears very upscale too. I also order EVERY BMW with every handling option offered.... so I feel the damper control is a must. I did not like the active steering on an earlier 545 sport so Ive never ordered it again. It may be improved by now. NEVER order the rear climate control. It does not work. If the front heat is off, the back gets no heat, period. It is a gimmick. Further, the kids can turn the fan on high and you end up trying to reach behind to turn it off when they are out of the car.

I'm so up in the air with my next vehicle (oct '14). As much as I try I cant warm up to the new 5'er. Even tricked out it just doesn't excite me. The new M3 is an option, but as much as the '09 was an awesome drive I always thought it was a bit of a tight fit. Don't take that the wrong way.... it was awesome... but my current X5 is as solid as a bank vault, handles well, puts you at the perfect driving hight and is extremely comfortable.

I'm thinking X5 5.0 or 35d, m sport with all the goodies.

Final thought... my FAVORITE BMW was an E39 model 530 sport, stick, silver/black. That car was the purist, sweetest sounding, handling, driving BMW. I don't think BMW has ever gotten it so right since.
Appreciate 0