01-07-2014, 02:09 PM   #1
x5x2
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

Garage List
shipping time

Hi ordered mid December, dealer states will be built by first week February, when can I realistically expect delivery in UK.

This waiting is terrible, much worse than for a baby
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #2
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I still don't know if mine is coming next week or early feb! Pretty sure it was on the last boat to dock in Southampton yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 09:05 PM   #3
x5x2
Private
England
Rep

Garage List
so how long does it take to transport to UK please? should I get car by end March?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 09:22 PM   #4
Rene_Fonck
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BMW X5 35d

I ordered a 2014 X5 diesel (fully loaded) on December 23rd. It went into production today, January 7th, according to the "MyBMW" web site which I have been checking daily.

Assuming it will take a day or two to manufacture, 2 weeks for transport and certification and then delivery to the dealership the last week of January (this was the original timeline provided by my sales rep).
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 11:24 PM   #5
rmastale
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i MSport, F15 X5 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene_Fonck
I ordered a 2014 X5 diesel (fully loaded) on December 23rd. It went into production today, January 7th, according to the "MyBMW" web site which I have been checking daily.

Assuming it will take a day or two to manufacture, 2 weeks for transport and certification and then delivery to the dealership the last week of January (this was the original timeline provided by my sales rep).
They take longer than a day or two to manufacture don't they?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 01:39 AM   #6
Rene_Fonck
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I would be surprised if it took longer than 2 days to manufacture. A good video showing the process of manufacturing an X5 here:

Last edited by Rene_Fonck; 01-08-2014 at 01:42 AM.. Reason: wrong line -- put in new post
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 01:41 AM   #7
Rene_Fonck
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Cycle time in the plant for the paint process on an X5 is 12 hours. I can't imagine it would be any longer than that to manufacture the rest given the number of robots involved. I've toured the BMW factory in Munich and I can't imagine the factory in South Carolina is much different.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 02:22 AM   #8
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5x2 View Post
This waiting is terrible, much worse than for a baby
Could be worse... Ordered M50d in the end of December, production set for March 2014, delivery for May.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #9
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5x2 View Post
so how long does it take to transport to UK please? should I get car by end March?
Here is a live example of the shipping timescales:

http://sagaweb.2wglobal.com/AppSched...ring=UA348-DOJ

So the cars will be loaded at Charleston, and it takes approx 22 days to ship to the UK, depending on when and where it stops. Once you get your VIN you will be able to search using the linked website.

They seem to load them on the boat to Germany/UK every 7-10 days so Production time (1 week) + Lucky dip on the boat (say worst case 10 days if you just 'miss the boat') + 3 weeks shipping to the UK + 1 week to transport to the dealer + 2 days PDI. So it could range from 37 to 47 days from starting production to being sat on your drive.

My production date was 14/12/13 (not sure if this is the start or complete date), loaded on 17/12, arrived UK today. At least that's what I think happened. It's possible it's only just being loaded onto this boat, in which case I won't get it until early Feb:

http://sagaweb.2wglobal.com/AppSched...ring=UB333-INC

Last edited by archivedaccount; 01-08-2014 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 01:33 PM   #10
Eu001939
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 30d MSport and X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5x2
As said above, count 4-6 weeks, so if yours goes into production early Feb you should have it by end of March in the UK.

Mine was produced on 2nd of December and should be in Belgium by next week.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #11
Luxembourg
Enlisted Member
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F15 M-Sport 30d

WOW, what a perfect source of info! Thanks guys!
Mine was ordered on December 6th (yeah, Saint Nicholas... ), with the est. UK delivery date of 10th of April. I asked my dealer (BMW ISSD - Diplomatic & NATO Sales, London) last week what are the chances it'd be delivered as promised and he couldn't really tell. Apparently mine didn't get an allocation yet. So, a big question comes: based on your calcs, should I still expect early April, or more like end of May... June perhaps...??
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #12
x5x2
Private
England
Rep

Garage List
thanks thats helpful, hopefully by end of March then
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #13
Eu001939
Private First Class
Rep

Fubar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eu001939
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5x2
As said above, count 4-6 weeks, so if yours goes into production early Feb you should have it by end of March in the UK.

Mine was produced on 2nd of December and should be in Belgium by next week.
I discovered this morning that my car is still in Charleston, and won't be at the dealer here in Belgium before mid February.

It was supposed to be delivered this week.

I called BMW and they don't know what's happening. Their internal system still says delivery this week.

How come a company like BMW, that invest billions and employs thousands to streamline their logistics, is not able to provide accurate information, while A simple customer can find it back on the internet ?

Anyway, my biggest problem now is understanding why it stayed at the factory for 6 weeks:

-Production start on 2nd of december
-Production finished 4th of december
-shipped to Charleston on the 13th of January
-all other VIN's in the vicinity of mine have already been shipped last month.

So IMO something went wrong with the car and they had to repair it. But what ?

Not looking forward to having a problem car...

Does anyone have experience with getting a production order history from the factory for their car ?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 07:16 PM   #14
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eu001939 View Post
I discovered this morning that my car is still in Charleston, and won't be at the dealer here in Belgium before mid February.

I called BMW and they don't know what's happening. Their internal system still says delivery this week.

How come a company like BMW, that invest billions and employs thousands to streamline their logistics, is not able to provide accurate information, while A simple customer can find it back on the internet ?

Anyway, my biggest problem now is understanding why it stayed at the factory for 6 weeks:

Does anyone have experience with getting a production order history from the factory for their car ?

Good questions. I would ask again and again, and if they don't have the answers ask who else can properly address your concerns.

This is my educated guess.Surely they must have records of when a car starts production and ends production. If they pull a car off the line there has to be records to do so otherwise where is there authorization to make the request.

During Christmas there may be closures as in Germany.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=924078

https://www.bmwusfactory.com/manufac...alysis-center/
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 01:17 AM   #15
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene_Fonck View Post
I would be surprised if it took longer than 2 days to manufacture. A good video showing the process of manufacturing an X5 here:
Interesting video for X5 & X6 production.

I'm surprised that the manufacturing process is still so mandrolic, especially WRT Paint Shop. Still lots of people with with pots of paint and glue and cloths and machine etc etc. Is this still common with other 'premium' car makers I wonder?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 01:48 AM   #16
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Was wondering the same, my dealer told me the car is already at a harbor in Germany. Their (dealer) system does not say much, apart from some codes which are very general. Anyways, checked online and my car will be in a German harbor, but only end of Jan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eu001939 View Post

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 05:10 AM   #17
Diper
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 3.0d

Nothing went wrong.
My car was build 27/11/2013 and shipped shortly thereafter to Bremerhaven in stead of Zeebrugge, which I had expected. Although delivery at the car dealer was expected first week of january, it arrived yesterday afternoon, so 14th of january. Christmas and newyearseve leave etc caused Some extra delay.
But I actually start to believe that the car was shipped on purpose to bremerhaven for quality Control readings by BMW. Redistrubuting all those X5's afterwards takes a lot of time.
The waite is horrible.

Delivery friday 17th. Without the wintertyres becaue they are still on backorder.
At this moment the cardetailer is starting the prep work.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #18
Eu001939
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diper
Nothing went wrong.
My car was build 27/11/2013 and shipped shortly thereafter to Bremerhaven in stead of Zeebrugge, which I had expected. Although delivery at the car dealer was expected first week of january, it arrived yesterday afternoon, so 14th of january. Christmas and newyearseve leave etc caused Some extra delay.
But I actually start to believe that the car was shipped on purpose to bremerhaven for quality Control readings by BMW. Redistrubuting all those X5's afterwards takes a lot of time.
The waite is horrible.

Delivery friday 17th. Without the wintertyres becaue they are still on backorder.
At this moment the cardetailer is starting the prep work.
Except mine was not shipped at all for 6 weeks. It stayed in Spartenburg.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 10:06 AM   #19
Diper
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 3.0d

I should have read you posting better, sorry.
But I would consider calling the factory myself. When my car was posponed to last week january for production, I wrote a letter to BMW germany, which most certainly helped. But better to have a X5 without complaints
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #20
x5pilot
Fragile Explosion
Rep
Drives: X5 40d Msport

Ordered my UK spec 40dM Dec 13th... been given delivery date of week commencing 17th March... Have requested dealer tries to bring it forward but so far no luck.
It really is worse than waiting for a baby!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #21
x5pilot
Fragile Explosion
Rep
Drives: X5 40d Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene_Fonck View Post
I ordered a 2014 X5 diesel (fully loaded) on December 23rd. It went into production today, January 7th, according to the "MyBMW" web site which I have been checking daily)
What is this mybmw site please and does it work for European orders?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 12:02 PM   #22
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

US only. Doesn't work for euro- I tried registering and it never recognised the UK VIN.

You can tell when it's produced using bmwarchive.org, then follow the shipping by vin as previously stated. Best we can do for UK DIY tracking I think
Appreciate 0