BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-21-2014, 04:47 PM   #1
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
My dealer is "INVOICED"...what does that tell me?

so after the "Left Factory" status, my dealer tells me that they have been "invoiced"...so not sure what that tells me in regards to the status of my vehicle and what's the next step...
this is turning into an uphill battle!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 05:20 PM   #2
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

How long ago did it leave the factory? Is "invoiced" their way of telling you the paperwork is moving, as if to say they'll have the car soon?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #3
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Sounds to me like a double positive as F15 left SC and BMW NA has now charged your dealer for ownership has been transferred. Perhaps transfer of ownership takes place with FOB shipping point or origin or even better FOB destination ( meaning the car is at dealer).

When I tracked my car with calls to BMW Canada they could inform of the following stages with a production number : 1) estimated production date 2) VIN 3) if F15 was in actual production 4) left factory date. As soon as left factory status came up, it could no longer be tracked with BMW Canada and further status updates could only be obtained from my dealer. If I recall, the timing from left factory to my dealer was appx. 2 weeks, max 3. Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 06:38 AM   #4
x5pilot
Fragile Explosion
Rep
Drives: X5 40d Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
When I tracked my car with calls to BMW Canada they could inform of the following stages with a production number : 1) estimated production date 2) VIN 3) if F15 was in actual production 4) left factory date. As soon as left factory status came up, it could no longer be tracked with BMW Canada and further status updates could only be obtained from my dealer. If I recall, the timing from left factory to my dealer was appx. 2 weeks, max 3. Hope this helps
Can I clarify then if you're saying that, in my case, I have the VIN # then the car is in actual production?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 07:25 AM   #5
Poindexter
Revenge of the Nerds
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

"Invoiced" means the dealer now has the invoice to the car in hand. Usually the term is used between the manager and the sales agent as a measure of faith that the deal is really going to happen.

It isn't a term typically used with consumers.

Past Bimmers: E46 M3, E60 M5, and a few Spec E30 race cars
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 07:58 AM   #6
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sounds to me like a double positive as F15 left SC and BMW NA has now charged your dealer for ownership has been transferred. Perhaps transfer of ownership takes place with FOB shipping point or origin or even better FOB destination ( meaning the car is at dealer).

Thx!
The Left Factory was a week ago...the Invoiced is recent...
so I think something happens in between...
Are we able to track it from our side?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 07:59 AM   #7
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
How long ago did it leave the factory? Is "invoiced" their way of telling you the paperwork is moving, as if to say they'll have the car soon?
last week left factory status....i heard yesterday that it is invoiced...not sure how long it has been in the status of invoice...
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 09:13 AM   #8
rbarker33
Rep
Drives: 2017 xdrive 35i; 2014 GL550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
"Invoiced" means the dealer now has the invoice to the car in hand. Usually the term is used between the manager and the sales agent as a measure of faith that the deal is really going to happen.

It isn't a term typically used with consumers.
Invoice is a term used for any manufacturing company. Once the product is ready to ship a packing slip and invoice are generated. Invoice is sent to the customer to pay the bill, packing slip is sent with the car to its final destination. In this case, your BMW dealer is the customer.

For a CA to say they have an invoice in hand is no different than saying the car has been shipped from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 11:08 AM   #9
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarker33 View Post
Invoice is a term used for any manufacturing company. Once the product is ready to ship a packing slip and invoice are generated. Invoice is sent to the customer to pay the bill, packing slip is sent with the car to its final destination. In this case, your BMW dealer is the customer.

For a CA to say they have an invoice in hand is no different than saying the car has been shipped from the factory.
Yes...this makes sense...
Anyone knows if there's a way we could track the shipment status online?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #10
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5pilot View Post
Can I clarify then if you're saying that, in my case, I have the VIN # then the car is in actual production?
Thanks
In my case I had a VIN assigned before production date. If I recall I had the VIN either a week or two before production. So based upon my experience, sorry, no, but you are so close. VIN decoder will disclose production date.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 01:57 PM   #11
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
Thx!
The Left Factory was a week ago...the Invoiced is recent...
so I think something happens in between...
Are we able to track it from our side?
From Canada, I could not, but maybe someone has been able to? BMW Canada, telephone said they can only monitor up to left factory thereafter I need to follow up with dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 02:06 PM   #12
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
From Canada, I could not, but maybe someone has been able to? BMW Canada, telephone said they can only monitor up to left factory thereafter I need to follow up with dealer.
That's the same in the US. Once it has actually left the facility, customer service can't help beyond providing a delivery estimate. Your CA should be able to contact the shipping company, however.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 02:29 PM   #13
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
That's the same in the US. Once it has actually left the facility, customer service can't help beyond providing a delivery estimate. Your CA should be able to contact the shipping company, however.
Make sense in a way as customer service is a corporate HO function and they monitor production status and changes. For example when I made two changes, one as a special order (SO), for each change dealer submits to BMW Canada ( who I guess coordinate/input order changes with SC/production).
Accepted changes were confirmed from BMW Canada to dealer then to customer. My SO took a week for confirmation. I guess BMW Canada need to submit to SC to seek change and await their confirmation whether accepted.

So once F15 is left factory status, it is no longer a production issue as car is made. Ownership transfers to dealer with invoice produced (legally ownership is customer as contract was signed), and now dealer is responsible for the final journey ( monitoring where and when as this is needed to finalize pick up date).
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 02:58 PM   #14
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
so what you guys are all saying is that I'm in the 2 weeks of BLACKOUT!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 05:08 PM   #15
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
so what you guys are all saying is that I'm in the 2 weeks of BLACKOUT!!!
No, I'm saying your CA should be able to get you at least some details (estimated arrival, possibly current(ish) location). Our car was delayed a week (presumably due to it being finished production the day before Thanksgiving, but I never got an answer, it sat for a week waiting for the carrier). My CA said he would call the carrier to find out when it would be in and was able to do so. I don't see any reason your dealer can't do the same.

We can track them coming in from Germany in the middle of the ocean, I would hope someone can tell you where it is on land lol (at least when it should arrive).

I don't think you'll get daily updates as it passes each state, province etc. though if that's what you're looking for lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 07:45 AM   #16
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No, I'm saying your CA should be able to get you at least some details (estimated arrival, possibly current(ish) location). Our car was delayed a week (presumably due to it being finished production the day before Thanksgiving, but I never got an answer, it sat for a week waiting for the carrier). My CA said he would call the carrier to find out when it would be in and was able to do so. I don't see any reason your dealer can't do the same.

We can track them coming in from Germany in the middle of the ocean, I would hope someone can tell you where it is on land lol (at least when it should arrive).

I don't think you'll get daily updates as it passes each state, province etc. though if that's what you're looking for lol.
yes...I was just kiddin'...lol
The CA gives an estimated (around 2 weeks)...
F15 comes from SC, so it should be quicker than Germany...
mind you that it took a MUCH longer time when I ordered my X3 back in 2011 until delivery date (roughly 3-4 months!)...if I compare it to the X5 (Diesel) we ordered...considering the delay in production as well as late market arrival of Diesel in general...I thinking we are STILL talking about 2 months order to delivery which I think is quite an improvement...both X3 and X5 are made in SC.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 07:48 AM   #17
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

yes...exactly...I think I'm in that 2 weeks that you've just mentioned...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 09:09 AM   #18
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yes...I was just kiddin'...lol
The CA gives an estimated (around 2 weeks)...
F15 comes from SC, so it should be quicker than Germany...
mind you that it took a MUCH longer time when I ordered my X3 back in 2011 until delivery date (roughly 3-4 months!)...if I compare it to the X5 (Diesel) we ordered...considering the delay in production as well as late market arrival of Diesel in general...I thinking we are STILL talking about 2 months order to delivery which I think is quite an improvement...both X3 and X5 are made in SC.
Lol I know, I'm just saying he should have a date for you not just '2 weeks.' Not that the date is or should be expected to be concrete, but I get irritated when I know these things are tracked real-time (or close to it) by satellites and computers (the shipping companies know where their trucks are), and these CA's won't always do the very minimal leg work required to get you answers. Or by the time they do, their 'intel' is outdated lol.

I do remember that "blackout" feeling when my F30 was over the parts of the ocean where the satellites can't track the ship anymore though lol. Absurd that we watch them this closely but kind of cool that we can and funny when we get upset we can't be all 'big brother' over the shipping lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 09:42 AM   #19
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Lol I know, I'm just saying he should have a date for you not just '2 weeks.' Not that the date is or should be expected to be concrete, but I get irritated when I know these things are tracked real-time (or close to it) by satellites and computers (the shipping companies know where their trucks are), and these CA's won't always do the very minimal leg work required to get you answers. Or by the time they do, their 'intel' is outdated lol.

I do remember that "blackout" feeling when my F30 was over the parts of the ocean where the satellites can't track the ship anymore though lol. Absurd that we watch them this closely but kind of cool that we can and funny when we get upset we can't be all 'big brother' over the shipping lol.
so how come we can't track the shipping ourselves?
Shouldn't we be able to do that with our VIN# somewhere?
Isn't it always the same shipping company?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 09:48 AM   #20
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
So I'm guessing it leaves from Charleston, SC.
Do we know which port it arrives for Canadian deliveries?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 02:07 PM   #21
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
so how come we can't track the shipping ourselves?
Shouldn't we be able to do that with our VIN# somewhere?
Isn't it always the same shipping company?
I believe there are multiple carriers. My guess is there is no way us or the CA even to just track with a tracking number like you can track a UPS or FedEx package.. but I would have to assume the carrier has a very quick and real-time way to track their trucks. So the CA can call them for status but they carrier is probably just not interested in giving us live tracking like FedEx (or don't have enough end-consumer demand to do so or justify the costs of doing so). Seems odd that we can track vessels across the ocean but not trucks on the ground though, right?

I actually wish none of this was possible. It was less stressful when all you got was a 'Call you in 2 months when the car comes in' from your salesman.. lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #22
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So I'm guessing it leaves from Charleston, SC.
Do we know which port it arrives for Canadian deliveries?
Bmw can could not tell me if by vessel or rail. I did not ask my dealer. Surely if you ask they should know.
Appreciate 0