11-03-2022, 10:48 AM   #1
Surgx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5

Failed catalytic converter theft

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So I go to the store yesterday after work, then hit Chipotle on the way in. I see what looks to be maybe a branch stuck under my car from a distance, then as I got closer I see someone had pried my undercarriage panels trying to steal my catalytic converter. Didn't get close, but did probably a couple hundred dollars worth of damage. Because of where it is actually located you would think X5's aren't targeted for cat thefts but someone did try. Anyone else have this happen?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 01:21 PM   #2
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

These guys are dumb, a friend of mine who has diesel 5 series caught these folks in his driveway early morning. Very common crime right now.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 03:41 AM   #3
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
It's picked up here in Florida too. But no, not happened (knock on wood).
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 09:15 AM   #4
yupetc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 X535i

In Houston if you drive any Toyota truck, you better make sure the stops you make lasts less than 2 minutes because from the moment you enter a store, these cat-pervs can get in and out from under within 2 minutes.

At my work facility, two our our workers' trucks got their cats cut. And all we can see on camera were shadowy guys under the truck and within 2 mins, they were able to pull out with the loot.

Also, any worktruck in this area will get their windows smashed in for tool bags and etc. Safety is a great concern these days. As economy gets worse and prices soar, people are getting desperate. And here we're seeing the whole country cutting funds to the Police force. The new policies are just going backwards, how did we vote our representation to get this far?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 10:18 AM   #5
lonestar22
Ground Clearance?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i & X5

alot of times with BMWs theyll take off with the resonators (which look like cats on some models) but our X5s dont even have resonators so they just end up out of luck.

E90 330i - E90 335i - E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 11:55 AM   #6
yupetc
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar22 View Post
alot of times with BMWs theyll take off with the resonators (which look like cats on some models) but our X5s dont even have resonators so they just end up out of luck.
You're absolutely right? Our cats are located well within the engine bat at the bottom and having that flex plate right under the engine bay definitely deters any real effort trying to take the cat off. Good luck to these thieves when they get to our cars. I hope they get their knuckles busted and their arms burned for trying.
Appreciate 1
Surgx572.50
      11-04-2022, 08:02 PM   #7
Surgx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5

They just had a nationwide sting where they had found $545mil worth of cats. If you can do that in 2-3 minutes, go be a mechanic and make some real money.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 08:46 PM   #8
suitedcboy
Cattlecar
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i MSport

I want a Sawzall that can get through that pipe twice in 2 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 06:05 AM   #9
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupetc View Post
In Houston if you drive any Toyota truck, you better make sure the stops you make lasts less than 2 minutes because from the moment you enter a store, these cat-pervs can get in and out from under within 2 minutes.

At my work facility, two our our workers' trucks got their cats cut. And all we can see on camera were shadowy guys under the truck and within 2 mins, they were able to pull out with the loot.

Also, any worktruck in this area will get their windows smashed in for tool bags and etc. Safety is a great concern these days. As economy gets worse and prices soar, people are getting desperate. And here we're seeing the whole country cutting funds to the Police force. The new policies are just going backwards, how did we vote our representation to get this far?
Looks like even in tough times police budget is increasing in Houston, because of federal assistance. Can you link to where you are getting your info on cuts to Houston PD?

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/a...-plug-deficit/
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 12:40 PM   #10
yupetc
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Looks like even in tough times police budget is increasing in Houston, because of federal assistance. Can you link to where you are getting your info on cuts to Houston PD?

I may be wrong with my info because I'm pulling this info from my head and it's all coming from the radio I listen to from my daily commute to and from work. 30 minutes on the road and listening to radio gets me to believe everything I'm saying has some basis. I surely had no idea the budget is actually been increased for HPD. But I gotta say, even with this budget increase, Houston's crime has been on a rampant rise. I work in the East Downtown area and just on my work premises, we've gotten theft twice and a catalytic converter incidence once on this year alone. Building across the street has their contractors' work truck broken into to steal a tool bag, twice, this year. I also often run errands for tooling and parts, at Northern Tools, I've arrived twice at their parking lot, observing some pissed off customers calling for HPD because their window got smashed into; I didn't budd into those incidences so I don't know what valuables were stolen. Those are late last year. I'm only traversing the area a little bit, and seeing some theft incidents is considered quite frequent for me. Before COVID times, I've almost never heard of any incidents. I feel criminals are becoming more, and they are desperate these days. So it leads me to think that our Police budget isn't sufficient enough to keep the place safe. I get to go home to a very nice suburb neighborhood, despite the danger I see around work. Houston is quickly changing, and a lot of run-down places are being leveled and rebuilt into something new. So I hope this movement will slowly drive crime out and upgrade the area.

BTW, Houston Astro's just won the Championship. And yesterday we've had a huge parade going on. And this morning, also on the radio, we're hearing that hundreds of Toyoto's, specifically Tundra models got their Catalytic Converters cut in a one-day parking lot run. Tons of people came downtown yesterday, so within a certain radius we park our cars. I guess they just go cherry-pickin and the loot is quite good.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 08:37 PM   #11
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupetc View Post
Quote:

I may be wrong with my info because I'm pulling this info from my head and it's all coming from the radio I listen to from my daily commute to and from work. 30 minutes on the road and listening to radio gets me to believe everything I'm saying has some basis. I surely had no idea the budget is actually been increased for HPD. But I gotta say, even with this budget increase, Houston's crime has been on a rampant rise. I work in the East Downtown area and just on my work premises, we've gotten theft twice and a catalytic converter incidence once on this year alone. Building across the street has their contractors' work truck broken into to steal a tool bag, twice, this year. I also often run errands for tooling and parts, at Northern Tools, I've arrived twice at their parking lot, observing some pissed off customers calling for HPD because their window got smashed into; I didn't budd into those incidences so I don't know what valuables were stolen. Those are late last year. I'm only traversing the area a little bit, and seeing some theft incidents is considered quite frequent for me. Before COVID times, I've almost never heard of any incidents. I feel criminals are becoming more, and they are desperate these days. So it leads me to think that our Police budget isn't sufficient enough to keep the place safe. I get to go home to a very nice suburb neighborhood, despite the danger I see around work. Houston is quickly changing, and a lot of run-down places are being leveled and rebuilt into something new. So I hope this movement will slowly drive crime out and upgrade the area.

BTW, Houston Astro's just won the Championship. And yesterday we've had a huge parade going on. And this morning, also on the radio, we're hearing that hundreds of Toyoto's, specifically Tundra models got their Catalytic Converters cut in a one-day parking lot run. Tons of people came downtown yesterday, so within a certain radius we park our cars. I guess they just go cherry-pickin and the loot is quite good.
You can always get your facts. Here is what I found on crime in Houston

https://abc13.com/houston-crime-rate...rder/12184070/

All I am saying is that it is getting easier to get people to believe anything these days, even if getting to the facts is easier than ever.
Appreciate 1
yupetc388.00
      11-10-2022, 10:58 AM   #12
yupetc
Captain
Rep

Quote:

All I am saying is that it is getting easier to get people to believe anything these days, even if getting to the facts is easier than ever.
Thanks, noted.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 12:21 PM   #13
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Quote:

I wouldn't quote any media outlet as a factual source...just saying.

At the bottom of that provided link, there is another story stating that Homicide is up over previous year. Click for link

The same news outlet stating 10% reduction in violent crimes, is also reporting and increase in homicides, i.e., a violent crime. "According to Houston police, there have been 279 homicides in Houston in 2022. This time in 2021, there were 267 homicides. In 2020, that number was 205."

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 01:19 PM   #14
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
I wouldn't quote any media outlet as a factual source...just saying.

At the bottom of that provided link, there is another story stating that Homicide is up over previous year. Click for link

The same news outlet stating 10% reduction in violent crimes, is also reporting and increase in homicides, i.e., a violent crime. "According to Houston police, there have been 279 homicides in Houston in 2022. This time in 2021, there were 267 homicides. In 2020, that number was 205."
I agree, the data is all over the place. We end up believing whatever we want to that confirms our point of view when it comes to crime and other statistics. Some like funding level etc are easy to confirm since they are published by authoritative sources. I am sure there are some official stats on crime. But the narrative that crime is increasing because budgets for police are being cut is usually not true...could be in some cases....

Pew research is a reasonable non partisan source.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...%20months%20of
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 02:59 PM   #15
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But the narrative that crime is increasing because budgets for police are being cut is usually not true...could be in some cases....

I'm not sure how one could defend that decreasing police budgets has no impact on crime surge or somehow equates to less crime.

For Pew, they are referencing crime data based on a Federal Survey....If you skip Pew and go to the FBI and view their National Incident-Based Reporting, you will find that they themselves admit that their data is not complete because it requires the participation of cities to report. Many cites don't disclose for various reasons including for politics (don't make our state look bad).

ON TOPIC: I think there are multiple factors feeding the thirst for CAT theft (economy, police enforcement, theft classification, precocious metal content, buyers not requiring proof of title etc.). It's a shame and very peculiar that suddenly CATs, which have been around for decades, are suddenly fashionable to steal....

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 08:46 AM   #16
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
But the narrative that crime is increasing because budgets for police are being cut is usually not true...could be in some cases....

I'm not sure how one could defend that decreasing police budgets has no impact on crime surge or somehow equates to less crime.

For Pew, they are referencing crime data based on a Federal Survey....If you skip Pew and go to the FBI and view their National Incident-Based Reporting, you will find that they themselves admit that their data is not complete because it requires the participation of cities to report. Many cites don't disclose for various reasons including for politics (don't make our state look bad).

ON TOPIC: I think there are multiple factors feeding the thirst for CAT theft (economy, police enforcement, theft classification, precocious metal content, buyers not requiring proof of title etc.). It's a shame and very peculiar that suddenly CATs, which have been around for decades, are suddenly fashionable to steal....
I did not say that! I said the following:

1. The data is all over the place and people can use any data that suits their narrative when it comes to crime.

2. Some data like funding levels for police is easier to verify.

3. So, when someone claims that crime is going up because funding is going down. One can verify if the funding is actually going down. The data I posted for Houston showed that funding went up in 2022 driven by Federal funding for law enforcement.

I was not making a political argument. I was just stating the facts that can be verified.

How did you infer that I said that reducing police funding is leading to reduced crime? I never made that claim. You are trying to say something I did not say to discredit what I was actually saying. Not sure if that was deliberate or ignorance.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 09:52 AM   #17
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How did you infer that I said that reducing police funding is leading to reduced crime? I never made that claim
Simple, this quote below:

Quote:
In other word, crimes do not increase due to police budget cuts

Which brings us back to what I said - I'm not sure how one could defend that decreasing police budgets has no impact on crime surge or somehow equates to less crime.

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 10:35 AM   #18
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
Which brings us back to what I said - I'm not sure how one could defend that decreasing police budgets has no impact on crime surge or somehow equates to less crime.
Just playing devil's advocate... but the argument could be made that the quality of policing does not rise with increased budgets.

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 10:44 AM   #19
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
Just playing devil's advocate... but the argument could be made that the quality of policing does not rise with increased budgets.

100% - Some states are "repurposing" their budgets for other initiatives as well.

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 10:56 AM   #20
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
How did you infer that I said that reducing police funding is leading to reduced crime? I never made that claim
Simple, this quote below:

Quote:
In other word, crimes do not increase due to police budget cuts

No. The "narrative" is that people are claiming they crime is going up because budgets are being cut. It was a poster from Houston. I showed, that budgets are not being cut…

So, crime going up (which may or may not be the case) wasn't because budgets were being cut.

How is this confusing if you read the thread? You seem to be latching on to a political point of view or something. That makes you happy. Go for it!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 11:46 AM   #21
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No. The "narrative" is that people are claiming they crime is going up because budgets are being cut. It was a poster from Houston. I showed, that budgets are not being cut…

So, crime going up (which may or may not be the case) wasn't because budgets were being cut.
To summarize your statements - police budgets do not impact crime.

I will say again, that is a very difficult argument to defend.

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 01:11 PM   #22
yupetc
Captain
Rep

Let's cut the arguments here. We all meant well. We should steer our replies to align with the OP's topic. Anyways, the fact of the matter is that CAT thieving is becoming rampant. It brings the nostalgic 80's and 90's back in my mind when stealing car radios was the fashionable to-do for those kiniving thieves.
Appreciate 1
Surgx572.50