BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-10-2017, 03:04 PM   #45
BimmerGuyFL78
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G30 540i

So I applied the tape and it worked! The sound is gone....However, now the hatch stops when you open it and you have to press the release button again.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 03:08 PM   #46
artem123
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine535Msport View Post
So I applied the tape and it worked! The sound is gone....However, now the hatch stops when you open it and you have to press the release button again.
You might need to remove some tape, as back gate senses too much of the resistance and thinks that something is blocking it. That is why i prefer to have a normal electrical tape.
      01-11-2017, 07:36 AM   #47
BimmerGuyFL78
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G30 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem123 View Post
Quote:
You might need to remove some tape, as back gate senses too much of the resistance and thinks that something is blocking it. That is why i prefer to have a normal electrical tape.
Ok I took off the friction tape and kept the electrical tape. No more pooping noises and the tailgate opens perfectly now. THANKS!!!!
      01-11-2017, 09:21 AM   #48
artem123
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ok I took off the friction tape and kept the electrical tape. No more pooping noises and the tailgate opens perfectly now. THANKS!!!!
Blushing)))) LOL
You are welcome!
      01-11-2017, 05:06 PM   #49
Nonopr01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Pictures please
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 07:53 PM   #50
artem123
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonopr01 View Post
Pictures please
Look at page#2. I posted picture earlier.
      01-27-2017, 11:42 AM   #51
Tyler_Durden
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Alpine white X5 35i

I recently wrapped those metal bits with felt tape and it has helped, but the popping noise is still there. I will try electrical tape, but has anyone seen a new TSB addressing this issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 08:45 AM   #52
yozhbk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 40e

Hey guys, I had a 16 40e for a little over a year now, and the noise is progressively getting worse, today I tried electrical tape and the noise seem to get worse it was also getting stuck on closing for a little bit, then I guess it went. Is the tape mentioned here really works ? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QDRRNE/ ?

Also how do you adjust the parts from the second page ? I popped the plastic cover, and I see a spring, but how do you move the plastic stoppers out/in ?

Any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 01:26 PM   #53
artem123
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yozhbk View Post
Hey guys, I had a 16 40e for a little over a year now, and the noise is progressively getting worse, today I tried electrical tape and the noise seem to get worse it was also getting stuck on closing for a little bit, then I guess it went. Is the tape mentioned here really works ? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QDRRNE/ ?

Also how do you adjust the parts from the second page ? I popped the plastic cover, and I see a spring, but how do you move the plastic stoppers out/in ?

Any help is appreciated.
Of course this tape will not work. It creates heavy friction and backdate "thinks" that there is an obstacle. Use regular electrical tape.
      01-24-2018, 02:31 PM   #54
yozhbk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Of course this tape will not work. It creates heavy friction and backdate "thinks" that there is an obstacle. Use regular electrical tape.
Um I did use regular electrical tape as stated in my post. I`m saying its sounding worse now... Looking for advise on how to fix it..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 01:55 PM   #55
yozhbk
Private First Class
Rep

Seems that sound is basically gone, after cleaning and putting electrical tape over it, lets see how long this lasts, cant believe that a BMW 70k car an electrical tape is used to fix...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 09:48 PM   #56
boyce89976
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 5.0 M Sport

I looked closely today at the area where some are applying electrical tape (on my 2014 X5 5.0), and as far as I can tell, there is nothing on the upper hatch that contacts where the tape is being applied.

I'm not sure how the electrical tape is solving anything?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 07:16 AM   #57
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

The issue I had was with the plastic trim pieces in the cargo area. Mainly around the glazing of the hatch.
These panels are very cheap and hard plastic. I purchased replaceent OEM clips and took apart all the panels.
I replaced the clips with the ones which have a foam gasket and used felt tape on any area where rubbing may occur.

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 08:20 AM   #58
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
I had a same issue and dealer found the location of the noise with a device and replace the latch and noise is gone.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 01:44 PM   #59
RPI-M5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition Frozen Bla

I've had this problem for going on 5 months. 2 trips to the dealer haven't fixed it (BMW Seattle), and they are now backing into the "well, this is a high performance vehicle with a stiff suspension, so some creaking should be expected" dance. Trip #3 to the dealer is next week.

I tried applying the electrical tape last night, and it has greatly reduced the noise, but it is still there for only the most egregious situations where the rear end is in a "twisting" motion. Going to try applying more electrical tape to see if that helps solve it. I am worried the electrical tape is just a band-aid for a symptom and the real culprit is something very wrong with the structural rigidity of the car, or the tailgate coming very loose.

I've also noticed the plastic trim piece surrounding the latch on the bottom fold-up part of the tailgate to be very loose, and very noisy. Part of me thinks this is what is causing the noise once the loose tailgate rubs on it, or rattles on it. Anyone looked into this?

EDIT: I should mention what the dealer did each time I visited with this problem

Visit #1 - took apart trim in rear, checked rear suspension, lubricated and tightened everything there. Didn't touch tailgate. Didn't fix it
Visit #2 - cleaned and lubricated tailgate latch and attachments. Checked rear trunk cover (because for some reason, removing that made the problem go away) and found no issue with that. Tightened tailgate latch

Last edited by RPI-M5; 02-21-2018 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7262.50
      04-16-2018, 04:19 PM   #60
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d, 535d, 750i, X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-X5 View Post
I've had this problem for going on 5 months. 2 trips to the dealer haven't fixed it (BMW Seattle), and they are now backing into the "well, this is a high performance vehicle with a stiff suspension, so some creaking should be expected" dance. Trip #3 to the dealer is next week.

I tried applying the electrical tape last night, and it has greatly reduced the noise, but it is still there for only the most egregious situations where the rear end is in a "twisting" motion. Going to try applying more electrical tape to see if that helps solve it. I am worried the electrical tape is just a band-aid for a symptom and the real culprit is something very wrong with the structural rigidity of the car, or the tailgate coming very loose.

I've also noticed the plastic trim piece surrounding the latch on the bottom fold-up part of the tailgate to be very loose, and very noisy. Part of me thinks this is what is causing the noise once the loose tailgate rubs on it, or rattles on it. Anyone looked into this?

EDIT: I should mention what the dealer did each time I visited with this problem

Visit #1 - took apart trim in rear, checked rear suspension, lubricated and tightened everything there. Didn't touch tailgate. Didn't fix it
Visit #2 - cleaned and lubricated tailgate latch and attachments. Checked rear trunk cover (because for some reason, removing that made the problem go away) and found no issue with that. Tightened tailgate latch
I take it Visit #3 corrected the problem? What was the fix? I have an annoying rattle coming from the rear cargo area and I've been reading some of these threads intently.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 09:27 PM   #61
RPI-M5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition Frozen Bla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmkungfu View Post
Quote:

I take it Visit #3 corrected the problem? What was the fix? I have an annoying rattle coming from the rear cargo area and I've been reading some of these threads intently.
I would say Visit 3 made it better, but didn't totally eliminate the rattle. They put a lot of felt tape in various areas around the rear. Going over large bumps the sound is still there. not sure what to do at this point other than (1) try another dealer or (2) contact BMWNA
      06-11-2018, 03:02 PM   #62
Ferg
Master of my own domain!!
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/F15 X5

Several trips to the dealer and still no resolution, tape does not work. For those that actually got it to stop, can you provide the actual fix the dealer provided.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 03:31 PM   #63
yozhbk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yozhbk View Post
Seems that sound is basically gone, after cleaning and putting electrical tape over it, lets see how long this lasts, cant believe that a BMW 70k car an electrical tape is used to fix...
So this is interesting, the sound stopped and was gone for a while, then when warmer weather started its back... I just had 2 trips to the dealer(not related) I asked them to look and they said no trouble found...
I`m going to try to add more tape and see if it helps, this is so frustrating..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 07:30 PM   #64
Wavy
Captain
Rep
Drives: B8

I didn't think I'd have this problem with my x6 but I did. Just did the electrical tape fix and now it's quiet as a mouse.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 05:48 PM   #65
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M

Quote:
I would say Visit 3 made it better, but didn't totally eliminate the rattle. They put a lot of felt tape in various areas around the rear. Going over large bumps the sound is still there. not sure what to do at this point other than (1) try another dealer or (2) contact BMWNA
Suggestion #3 works quite well.

Place some electrical tape inside your ears to dampen the sound signal to your brain. In short order the brain will reprogram itself to not worry about the noise.

NOT a flame post BTW Over the years I would drive myself crazy sorting out some very minor thing that was a big problem ONLY between my ears. In the big scheme of things I was missing the 99.99% of why I bought the car - not a good thing to do. Not everything can be fixed this way but it is an inexpensive solution for many.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2019, 09:20 AM   #66
minfer1
Registered
Rep
Drives: x5 2015

Same issue on mine

I am having the same issues as described in this post. I will start by removing all accessories from the trunk. Noises are getting worse every time...I'll keep you posted
Appreciate 0