BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-14-2016, 06:20 AM   #23
taxjoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i & 2015 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike5150 View Post
Bmwusa lists both a wiring harness AND a trailer lighting module with the OEM hitch as required for towing. Maybe you're missing a piece?
Yes, both the wiring harness and this black box thing came with the invisihitch. To be honest, the wiring harness and the lighting module fit perfectly in the X5. There is an empty slot for the module to fit in. It snaps in to place perfectly. Likewise, the wiring harness just fits like a glove and it clearly made by BMW for the X5. Now if I can just get it to work properly...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 08:16 PM   #24
neuro0
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxjoc View Post
Well, I probably should not have said "error." Yes, mine is the same as you quote. Also, yes, my trailer lights work except the left turn signal blinks rapidly but the right turn signal blinks normally. Yes, it is that yellow triangle that stays on in the instrument cluster even after the message stops showing up that I want to go away.
I hooked up my trailer today. It seems all the trailer lights are working and blinking normally. No specific lamp out notices on dash. Just the all time present "Trailer electrical error".

Need to contact the coding guy invisihitch use to schedule an appointment.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 10:51 AM   #25
Class5Kayaker
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F15, 2014 Porsche 991

Just had another thought on what might be causing the issues a few of you are having. Did you check the fuse panel to make sure the four required fuses were already in place? I've heard some don't have them in place when the vehicle was delivered. They correspond directly to the slots you hooked the power wires up to the back-side of the fuse panel. Here's an image from the OEM wiring instructions:

Here's the post with some links to OEM installation instructions from the other InvisiHitch thread:

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=37

2016 BMW F15 xDrive 35i - Imperial Blue Metallic
2014 Porsche 991- Sapphire Blue Metallic

Last edited by Class5Kayaker; 06-15-2016 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2016, 11:39 AM   #26
taxjoc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
This might take care of it for all of you having the instrument cluster error. I can help you or you can code it yourself. All you have to do it seems is:

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read ECU (VCM) => Left-Click on AHM ECU => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD matching your I-Level => Select OK => Right-Click on AHM (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE. VO coding the AHM ECU (I remember reading the importance of AHMU in E70 models etc) should take care of the warning. Let me know what happens.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=862629
I neglected to thank Opasha for his usual incredibly helpful information. Of course, this coding stuff is Greek to me and I am still amazed and how all of you have figured all of this stuff out. It truly is rocket science. In any event, thankfully, with the help of the folks at Code My Car, all of the software is now loaded on my laptop so that I can connect the coding cable to my laptop and to my X5 and they can then do their magic. I will pass on Opsha's good comments to them.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 11:41 AM   #27
taxjoc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class5Kayaker View Post
Just had another thought on what might be causing the issues a few of you are having. Did you check the fuse panel to make sure the four required fuses were already in place? I've heard some don't have them in place when the vehicle was delivered. They correspond directly to the slots you hooked the power wires up to the back-side of the fuse panel. Here's an image from the OEM wiring instructions:

Here's the post with some links to OEM installation instructions from the other InvisiHitch thread:

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=37
Yes, this is an important point. I did check this as well. I even pulled out each of the fuses and inspected them to make sure they were still good. Sadly, they were all good. So, this issue was not the culprit. Maybe the fix outlined by Opsha will do the trick or, if not, maybe there is some other fix that the folks at Code My Car have for this issue. I can assure you all that once I get to the bottom of this I will report on the cause.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 01:38 PM   #28
Class5Kayaker
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F15, 2014 Porsche 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxjoc View Post
Yes, this is an important point. I did check this as well. I even pulled out each of the fuses and inspected them to make sure they were still good. Sadly, they were all good. So, this issue was not the culprit. Maybe the fix outlined by Opsha will do the trick or, if not, maybe there is some other fix that the folks at Code My Car have for this issue. I can assure you all that once I get to the bottom of this I will report on the cause.
Worst case is it could be a bad harness. I'd imagine that happens every once in a while and I'm sure the folks at InvisiHitch would be willing to send you a new one if the coding doesn't fix your problem.

2016 BMW F15 xDrive 35i - Imperial Blue Metallic
2014 Porsche 991- Sapphire Blue Metallic
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 01:51 PM   #29
TZANIDO777
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i, 2015 F15 X5 35D

Garage List
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Emailed code my car about the issue and they asked for $200 to "program the harness to my car". Anybody else get anything different from them?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 02:23 PM   #30
neuro0
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZANIDO777 View Post
Emailed code my car about the issue and they asked for $200 to "program the harness to my car". Anybody else get anything different from them?
The coding is included with the purchase of invisihitch. They even include the coding cable.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 02:50 PM   #31
TZANIDO777
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i, 2015 F15 X5 35D

Garage List
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuro0
Quote:
The coding is included with the purchase of invisihitch. They even include the coding cable.
Forgot most got there's from invisihitch...I did not and that is probably the reason for the charge.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 12:25 AM   #32
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

taxjoc, you're very welcome. It's really not a hard fix guys. I know his friend is Okee so I get why he is getting it done through him. However, for most of you...if you read the coding thread, many of us do it for free and guide you through it. I even offered to help in this thread. You guys are just making it way harder on yourselves than you need to in my opinion. However, that's up to you. I still hope everyone's issues end up being fixed.

PM shawnsheridan for the latest coding software, get yourself a cable (super cheap), and have a simple laptop with an ethernet port or usb to ethernet adapter for windows (if they don't have an ethernet port) or thunderbolt to usb adapters for mac (if they don't have an ethernet port).
      06-16-2016, 08:21 AM   #33
mad_max
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Looking for E46 M3

Did everyone get their warnings sorted out? Waiting for feedback to pull the trigger on the purchase.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 11:38 AM   #34
taxjoc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The trailer hitch coding of the harness to our X5s is complementary when you purchase an invisihitch. However, if you want other than trailer hitch coding performed, I believe that costs extra. By trailer hitch coding, I mean the zoom feature and the park distance control fix when you have a trailer attached.

I now have my appointment for this Sunday to get my X5 coded. Can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 04:30 PM   #35
neuro0
Rep

Just want to report that the coding did get rid of the error message on the idrive.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 07:42 AM   #36
mad_max
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuro0 View Post
Just want to report that the coding did get rid of the error message on the idrive.
Thanks for the update. I might go ahead and order hitch now.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 12:47 PM   #37
taxjoc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_max View Post
Did everyone get their warnings sorted out? Waiting for feedback to pull the trigger on the purchase.
I am pleased to report that Okee over at Code my car performed the coding on my X5 this past Sunday at the scheduled time. The whole process took less than an hour. Okee warned me that error messages would display during the coding process and he was right. There were error messages that were displayed that I did not know existed. However, in the end, all error messages were cleared, including the error message for my trailer hitch. Everything works like a charm, including that wonderful rear camera zoom feature. I am so glad this is now working properly

Let me offer two other observations. First, after the coding, all of my presets (those 8 buttons on our radio) were erased and my B&O equalizer settings were returned to flat. It was no big deal to reset them, I just wanted you all to know that I experienced this.

Second, remember, when you mount a bike rack on the invisihitch, our X5 has no way to detect that it is back there so when you select reverse, the park distance control ("PDC") will likely start beeping. I am aware of two ways to work around this problem: (1) place tape over the rear sensors in the bumper (some people report that you only need to tape over two of them, not all four) and (2) plug in a male trailer light adaptor that provides sufficient electrical resistance to trick the X5 into believing that a trailer with incandescent lights is connected to the X5.

I know there is a thread on "that other forum" that includes a do it yourself way to add resistors to that male trailer light adaptor that provides sufficient resistance to turn off the PDC. There is also an adaptor that is sold through etrailer.com that has the resistance. I ordered that adaptor (part TR20141 - total cost with shipping was $16.98). Incidentally, for those of you who have the LED trailer lights, as I understand, those LED lights do not draw a sufficient amount of electrical current to cause the X5 to detect that there is a trailer back there. The adaptor I ordered from etrailer is supposed to cure this problem as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 07:59 AM   #38
mad_max
Captain
United_States
Rep

Since I got the coding cable from Invisihitch I'de like to have a go at my first attempt of coding. I'm an IT guy so it should be simple enough. Can someone point me in the direction of the software I need.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 08:05 AM   #39
bjcarls
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 Tahoe, 22 R1S, 23 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_max View Post
Since I got the coding cable from Invisihitch I'de like to have a go at my first attempt of coding. I'm an IT guy so it should be simple enough. Can someone point me in the direction of the software I need.
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1033991
Appreciate 1
mad_max101.50
      04-23-2018, 01:27 PM   #40
jharcnc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 F15 and 2016 G11

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
This might take care of it for all of you having the instrument cluster error. I can help you or you can code it yourself. All you have to do it seems is:

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read ECU (VCM) => Left-Click on AHM ECU => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD matching your I-Level => Select OK => Right-Click on AHM (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE. VO coding the AHM ECU (I remember reading the importance of AHMU in E70 models etc) should take care of the warning. Let me know what happens.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=862629
This is very helpful - thanks so much
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 10:36 PM   #41
kariem
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 x50i M Kit

I just finished installing the OEM hitch with control module and wiring harness, the only problem I'm facing right now is locating the CAN-BUS plug, I ripped through the entire wiring loom next to the rear fuse box but can't find it ! My car is F15 2018 50i
Any help documented with photos is really appreciated.

The only plug that matched was already connected to a module, when I connected the can-bus plug to it, the remote key didn't work, so I assumed that it was the key signal receiver and I hooked it back.

Currently I'm getting electrical signal in the trailer 4/7 plugs and an error message in the dashboard about trailer lamp failure.
Attached Images

Last edited by kariem; 11-28-2018 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 01:10 PM   #42
David3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 (x2), E46, F15, G05 LCI

I know this is late (old thread), but posting to help others in the future. The can bus connector is behind the fuse panel. You have to remove the fuse panel to access it.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 08:59 PM   #43
mangee
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 2015 and BMW 430i 2020

BMW X6 2015 Trailer connection error

I spent three hours connecting the trailer wiring harness in my 2016 BMW X6. I followed the instructions for each of the cables to the fuse box. Unfortunately, I was unable to find the 3-pin socket casing, to plug X18*1B, SW 3-pin pin housing (Socket contact, to plug Z2*13B of rear right power distribution box Z2), which I believe is causing the error "trailer light malfunction."

Help please!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 06:32 PM   #44
Iaro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 xdrive50i M-Sport

Garage List
I purchased oem harness but can't find any instruction explaining what wire goes where. Does anybody know where I can get the instructions?
Appreciate 0