BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

04-20-2018, 11:45 AM   #1
Marky Mark
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 xDrive35i

Question Lowering springs, will they void my extended CPO warranty ?

Hi,

I have a 2014 X5 and I wanted to lower it with a set of Eibach lowering springs.

I called my dealer and asked him will that void my extended CPO warranty, and he said that if a problem was caused by the spring (or by the person who installed the springs), that it would not be covered.

1) What problems could lowering springs cause to an X5 (w/o self leveling suspension)?

2) If I were to get the lowering springs, and I went in for service, how long does it take to swap out the springs so I could avoid the problem all together with my dealer?

Thanks for your input everyone.
MPPK+MPE, Premium Package, xLine, Driver Assistance Plus, Driver Assistance Package, Lighting Package, Luxury Seating Package, Cold Weather Package, Night Vision w/Pedestrian Detection, ACC Stop& Go + Active Driving Assistant, harmon/kardon Surround Sound System, Space-Saver Spare, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control, Poplar Wood Trim, towing package
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 11:51 AM   #2
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 F15

I agree w/your dealer that it will not be covered, but I also think that warranty may be voided as springs are an integral part of the vehicle; you will need to look at CPO contract.
Not worth switching back and forth...it's $500 job.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 12:25 PM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Just hire a good shop to work on the suspension.
Or have the dealer to do it, so you have something to throw back to them if they claim that the spring causing the damage.

Besides, just for a service, they won't look to your suspension spring brand.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 12:52 PM   #4
Marky Mark
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Just hire a good shop to work on the suspension.
Or have the dealer to do it, so you have something to throw back to them if they claim that the spring causing the damage.

Besides, just for a service, they won't look to your suspension spring brand.

The dealer informed me that they do not install modifications (probably for just that reason that you mentioned).
MPPK+MPE, Premium Package, xLine, Driver Assistance Plus, Driver Assistance Package, Lighting Package, Luxury Seating Package, Cold Weather Package, Night Vision w/Pedestrian Detection, ACC Stop& Go + Active Driving Assistant, harmon/kardon Surround Sound System, Space-Saver Spare, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control, Poplar Wood Trim, towing package
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 01:42 PM   #5
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky Mark View Post
The dealer informed me that they do not install modifications (probably for just that reason that you mentioned).
Hmm, maybe some of forum members can help you introducing to some good shops in the area.
Hope you can get it sorted out.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 02:01 PM   #6
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Another member from the NYC area did it in New Rochelle.
Do a quick search...there are so many Eibach threads unfortunately!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 02:30 PM   #7
Marky Mark
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by menelaos View Post
Another member from the NYC area did it in New Rochelle.
Do a quick search...there are so many Eibach threads unfortunately!

Finding an installer is not a problem, I am concerned about my extended warranty that I purchased getting voided.

What possible damage could occur from lowering an X5? Could it affect my chassis, engine, or transmission?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 03:15 PM   #8
yewlock
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

[QUOTE=Marky Mark;23086186]Finding an installer is not a problem, I am concerned about my extended warranty that I purchased getting voided.

What possible damage could occur from lowering an X5? Could it affect my chassis, engine, or transmission?[/QUOTE
To void your warrant , they need to have a proof that your mod spring is the root cause for the damage
Very low possibly on engine and transmission.
High possibly on shock suspension.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 03:17 PM   #9
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Finding an installer is not a problem, I am concerned about my extended warranty that I purchased getting voided.

What possible damage could occur from lowering an X5? Could it affect my chassis, engine, or transmission?
I think you're safe...since you don't have self-levelling...seems to be haunting folks who have it.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 10:32 PM   #10
Marky Mark
Private
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=yewlock;23086418]
Quote:

What possible damage could occur from lowering an X5? Could it affect my chassis, engine, or transmission?[/QUOTE
To void your warrant , they need to have a proof that your mod spring is the root cause for the damage

I am wondering about the engine and tranny b/c when ordering the springs from Eibach, they ask for how many Kilowatts your engine is (3 options).

(My xDrive35i has the MPPK software on it (so I know that my engine has 240Kw... or was it 220? LoL) Memory escapes me right now but I know it's the highest amount of kW for that model.

If Eibach is asking, that necessarily mean that it could have a potential for damaging? Or just a negative impact on ride quality?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 05:00 AM   #11
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

[QUOTE=Marky Mark;23087983]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yewlock View Post

I am wondering about the engine and tranny b/c when ordering the springs from Eibach, they ask for how many Kilowatts your engine is (3 options).

(My xDrive35i has the MPPK software on it (so I know that my engine has 240Kw... or was it 220? LoL) Memory escapes me right now but I know it's the highest amount of kW for that model.

If Eibach is asking, that necessarily mean that it could have a potential for damaging? Or just a negative impact on ride quality?
That is not why they are asking. The 35i and 50i models probably have slightly different spring rates in front as the v8 is a bit heavier than the i6. They don't actually care about how much power you have but just trying to get a better guess on the weight of your car.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 06:34 AM   #12
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
I called my dealer and asked him will that void my extended CPO warranty, and he said that if a problem was caused by the spring (or by the person who installed the springs), that it would not be covered.
Correct, because when the dealer submits a warranty claim and BMW denies it the dealer is not going to do volunteer work on your car so they give you a blanket statement of warranty void or the spring/install caused the issue.

Quote:

Engine weight. If you put 8cyl springs in a 6cyl it will rise the vehicle since the springs are for a different vehicle and motor.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 07:00 AM   #13
joyride
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M-Sport

Usually, if a dealer is attempting to deny warranty work, claiming it's void because of what seems like an unrelated part, mentioning the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act will get their attention. If what they are saying is true, they have a legal obligation to prove it to you in clear terms, or cover the claim. I've known a few friends that mentioned that and the dealer fully covered it. It's a good thing to read up on for modders like us.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 07:16 AM   #14
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

MMWA will not get their attention and does not apply when installing parts that are not to OEM specifications. This is thrown around a lot on car forums but does not hold water because it is a case that was about aftermarket parts not performance parts. It was enacted so there isnt a monopoly repairs and parts through a dealer network. It is about a part branded factory part and an equal aftermarket part. Think about an OEM rotor vs. Zimmerman rotor. It is exactly the same. OEM fuel pump vs. Aftermarket fuel pump. Now when installing performance parts they are not the same as the factory part which is why you are installing it. That being said then the shock is not paired for that spring and it is not operating as designed and is out of spec. Warranty void and the MMWA does not apply since it was not the exact part going in but if you would install an aftermarket spring of the same height and rating then the MMWA would apply. This goes for any type of modifications not just repairs using standard parts.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 07:57 AM   #15
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Simply put, you put on aftermarket springs, don't expect to be suspension components to be covered if you have a problem. Play the odds, will some dealership still cover your busted tie rod even if you have aftermarket springs, sure they might. But if you ask for a forum consensus, most of us will tell you that the modification that you add will more than likely void any manufacturer warranty associated with that area of the car.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      04-21-2018, 08:05 AM   #16
joyride
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
MMWA will not get their attention and does not apply when installing parts that are not to OEM specifications. This is thrown around a lot on car forums but does not hold water because it is a case that was about aftermarket parts not performance parts. It was enacted so there isnt a monopoly repairs and parts through a dealer network. It is about a part branded factory part and an equal aftermarket part. Think about an OEM rotor vs. Zimmerman rotor. It is exactly the same. OEM fuel pump vs. Aftermarket fuel pump. Now when installing performance parts they are not the same as the factory part which is why you are installing it. That being said then the shock is not paired for that spring and it is not operating as designed and is out of spec. Warranty void and the MMWA does not apply since it was not the exact part going in but if you would install an aftermarket spring of the same height and rating then the MMWA would apply. This goes for any type of modifications not just repairs using standard parts.
Well, I guess you missed the part about the dealer must supply a valid reason for denying the claim. Your example is of a valid reason and one that makes sense. When a dealer says warranty void/claim denied of a turbo issue because you put aftermarket springs on. It gets their attention that you don't just take their word and they don't get the easy way out. So, it still something to pay attention to. That's more to the point I'm trying to make, remember dealers try all types of things to not pay out.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 11:32 AM   #17
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

i dont think any dealership in their right mind would say a spring created engine failure but it will give them cause to inspect for other modifications. the dealerships will gladly do any work you bring them but if they fear they will not be reimbursed because bmw/na will decline the claim then they will tell you it is because of the related part or they will have a regional rep look at it first before stating anything. i have been playing with cars for a very long time and have great relationships with dealerships in my area... i can tell you from experience MMWA does not have any bearing on performance parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
Simply put, you put on aftermarket springs, don't expect to be suspension components to be covered if you have a problem. Play the odds, will some dealership still cover your busted tie rod even if you have aftermarket springs, sure they might. But if you ask for a forum consensus, most of us will tell you that the modification that you add will more than likely void any manufacturer warranty associated with that area of the car.
exactly. if you install lowering springs and or links and your bag or shock fails... you bet it will not be covered unless you have a good relationship with your dealership and they look the other way for you. i am not sure why so many people have difficulty with this because it is quite simple... if you opened up your washing machine and modified the motor to have a faster spin cycle then it broke. do you think washer company would warranty the part or would they say "you modified the unit and it does not perform as designed"?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 10:57 PM   #18
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
[QUOTE=Marky Mark;23087983]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yewlock View Post
Quote:

springs don't affect your engine or transmission....and you can rest assured if you have any suspension failure down the line that the dealer won't cover it.

If you gave high mileage then may be in your best interest to have your suspension checked first and maybe replace any questionable items that may fail while you have springs on. Or fork up the cash to have your oem swapped back in if you think you've broken something. The springs themselves if installed properly should not cause any issues. Emphasis on the should.

But if all of this worries you then you probably shouldn't be making modifications to your vehicle to begin with.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 11:43 PM   #19
Marky Mark
Private
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=pits200;23088531]
Quote:

That is not why they are asking. The 35i and 50i models probably have slightly different spring rates in front as the v8 is a bit heavier than the i6. They don't actually care about how much power you have but just trying to get a better guess on the weight of your car.
I don't mean to be a stickler, but that is EXACTLY what Eibach is asking for the xDrive 35i... With the MPPK, the engine produces 240kW
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 05:01 AM   #20
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=Marky Mark;23105309]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post

I don't mean to be a stickler, but that is EXACTLY what Eibach is asking for the xDrive 35i... With the MPPK, the engine produces 240kW
Huh...
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594140.00