02-23-2015, 02:40 PM   #1
wedge000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N/A

New X5 build, please help

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Going through the process of ordering a 2015 35i xdrive. In an effort to keep the cost down, I'm highly considering not ticking the box for one of the lines. Msport is out due to cost, what about the others? For options, I'm going to tick the DHP package and the seating package (understanding these to be the two most important packages). Is there anything essential in the xline or luxury line that isn't just cosmetic? I don't really care all that much looks-wise for the 18" versus 19" wheels.

Going to be coming from a fully loaded 2013 X3 Msport.

Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 02:51 PM   #2
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

M sport gets you the sport auto (which is fantastic) and Sport + mode, as well as the sport seats (moot if you are getting multi contour seats). If that is out as you said due to cost, I don't believe the x or lux lines get you anything beyond cosmetics.

The 19" wheels would presumably offer you some handling advantage too, but I would think that is negligible on an SUV, especially because the 19's aren't much wider than the 18's.

Last edited by chrisny; 02-23-2015 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 02:56 PM   #3
wedge000
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
M sport gets you the sport auto (which is fantastic) and Sport + mode, as well as the sport seats. If that is out as you said due to cost, I don't believe the x or lux lines get you anything beyond cosmetics.

The 19" wheels would presumably offer you some handling advantage too, but I would think that is negligible on an SUV, especially because the 19's aren't much wider than the 18's.
Don't get me wrong, I love everything Msport has to offer. Just need to cut cost somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 03:06 PM   #4
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

It's a tough call. I just typed up a response saying I agree with your choice, DHP+MC seats > Sport Auto, but I just don't know. I love the sport auto. Would have to spend some more time in one without it to say for sure, but I guess the choice is really DHP or M sport (since cost is the same), cosmetics + Sport Auto vs DHP.. I would think DHP is more important now that I've lived without it for a year on ours. But that also puts me a year away from a test drive I did without the sport auto that left me thinking m sport was worth the price just for the SA… That's not exactly true, but I loved everything else about the M sport anyway, so the SA just put it over the top compared to x-line, which was my other choice.. but it was a no brainer for me once I drove the x-line sans SA.

So I would say drive one with and without sport auto and make your decision based on that, same if you can find one with and without DHP. See which feels more different and is more important to you.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 03:11 PM   #5
Trojanlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
M sport gets you the sport auto (which is fantastic) and Sport + mode, as well as the sport seats (moot if you are getting multi contour seats). If that is out as you said due to cost, I don't believe the x or lux lines get you anything beyond cosmetics.

DHP will give the OP Sport + as well. You don't need the Mline if you have DHP. Also, the MC Seats are far better than the Sport seats anyway.

I would highly recommend going with the 20" wheels, especially with DHP to give you even better handling, in which case the Lux line will give you the flared body color molding like the M Line. You can only get the 20" wheels with one of the lines. Here is my Lux Line with the 20's.
Attached Images

02-23-2015, 03:35 PM   #6
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojanlaw View Post
the MC Seats are far better than the Sport seats anyway..
Agree 100%, that's why I said the seats were moot (in terms of it being an advantage of the m sport) if he sticks with the MC seats.. Only mentioned the sport seats in case he decides to drop the seating package (don't, they're awesome and I regret skipping those this time too), as the M sport would then have that advantage over no-line, x-line, and lux line.

BTW, your black lux with the 20's and running boards was my original build before we switched to MW M sport, looks awesome.

Last edited by chrisny; 02-23-2015 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 07:22 PM   #7
mikikuki7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Searching for X6M or M8

Then, just get it basic lol. If you can't afford an X5 then get an X3 loaded. IMO.

Honestly, any options you get are just luxury. That's all! If you want to keep cost down, just get a base X5 35i and you're good to go!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 07:46 PM   #8
wedge000
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojanlaw View Post
DHP will give the OP Sport + as well. You don't need the Mline if you have DHP. Also, the MC Seats are far better than the Sport seats anyway.

I would highly recommend going with the 20" wheels, especially with DHP to give you even better handling, in which case the Lux line will give you the flared body color molding like the M Line. You can only get the 20" wheels with one of the lines. Here is my Lux Line with the 20's.
The goal is not to tick more options. Ha ha.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like selecting a line is not a must have option the way DHP and the MC seats seem to be. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 08:03 PM   #9
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

If I read correct you want non cosmetic and hence your are specifically debating DHP & Seats. For that the answers above are great. Not clear if other than those two options that you are going stripper. If that is the case and I was going from a fully loaded x3 to stripper x5 that would be tough. I would miss HUD, nav, Comfort access blind spot, pdc, acc, etc. If your x3 was 35i, you may find x5 35i slow as the same engine on heavier car.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 08:31 PM   #10
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
For me Msprorts wins over DHP anytime anyday. This new F series X5 just looks so weak and unbalanced without msports and 20" rims where as previous generation looked good in any trim options.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 09:12 AM   #11
wedge000
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
If I read correct you want non cosmetic and hence your are specifically debating DHP & Seats. For that the answers above are great. Not clear if other than those two options that you are going stripper. If that is the case and I was going from a fully loaded x3 to stripper x5 that would be tough. I would miss HUD, nav, Comfort access blind spot, pdc, acc, etc. If your x3 was 35i, you may find x5 35i slow as the same engine on heavier car.
Appreciate the feedback. Some comments: It won't be a total stripper. I'm also going to select comfort access, cold weather package and the rear view and surround view cameras. NAV comes standard on the X5 (we don't use in car NAV anyway though). I'm willing to pass on the HUD. I like it, but the wife doesn't care if the car has it. And my 2013 X3 doesn't have blind spot or ACC so I won't know what I'm missing. I'll miss the Msport wheel and the sport auto, but such is life.

I know the X5 will be a bit slower, but the 50i isn't an option. That's the trade off for a bit more space.

MSRP is $67,500 and the dealer has offered $500 over invoice which includes $380 MACO. Lease payment for 36k, 3 yr comes out to $802 a month including tax. Assuming all MSDs and a .00081 money factor. Am I missing anything else?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 02:02 PM   #12
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge000 View Post
Appreciate the feedback. .... And my 2013 X3 doesn't have blind spot so I won't know what I'm missing. ... missing anything else?
Good that you have Surround View, PDC, as the x5 is larger than x3. Only suggestion is for safety Blind Spot Monitoring( BSM). I have BSM on x5 and works pretty good, but no on x3. The x5 side mirrors compared to x3 (in terms of relative sizing) but work quite effectively. For the x3, I too wanted to keep cost down. If there is an option/pkg that you are debating, as you may know and many others have stated -- it will cost two/three times to install ( if at all possible) as a later add on. I am sure you will have my same experience, if you like your x3, you'll love the x5.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 10:37 PM   #13
carygott
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 Cayenne, 2013 VW Golf R,

Pix is of the invoice on my F15. Took delivery Jan 2015.

Yes I spent a lot but all worth it for sure.

X5 XDrive50i = how can you not love torque and power ?

M Sport = yes, all components are worth it especially the Sport Transmission

Cold Weather pkg = yes especially the heated steering wheel!

Driver assistance Plus = yes especially surround view

DHP. I think it is worth it but have no frame of reference. But X5 rides and handles great.

Executive Package. Soft close doors are semi-worthless as we don't usually just rest doors at the close point. HK music = yes. Other stuff OK. [B]The Heads-up display is GREAT.[B] The best HUD I have had and this one is great. BUT you need non-polarized sun glasses to see it. There is an polarized adjustment in setting but it does not deal with polarized glasses at all. Go to Sunglass Hut and get Ray Bans that are not polarized. The non polarized Ray Bans do not have a little 'p' after the letters Ray Ban on the front lens.

Lighting Package = yes. Auto high beams work great.

M Suspension. Can't tell as I have no reference.

A great ride.

Mocha Nappa = sweet.

Just bought a V6 Cayenne for my wife . . . what she wanted so she loves it. I can tell you the F15 X5 is so much better. Better ride and power (I have bigger engine), the tech and displays are much !! better. Bigger inside and better interior materials. Sweeter ride.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0