BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-22-2018, 07:59 PM   #89
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocksmithNick View Post
Wait a second....your X5 has a salvaged title?
Yes, I mentioned it numerous times.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 08:03 PM   #90
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
������ I literally bought mine in May of 2017...2 weeks after having a baby and realizing our X3 was too small.

Solid guess ����

And don’t worry, I think most can tell who’s smarter ��
Indeed they can tell because I don't brag about my car because it does not define me.
It may define you I guess.

Aside from that, and because I don't resort to pettiness like you -i.e. comparing my car's features in CAPS no less to emphasize success-, I congratulate you on a good deal.
But I got a good deal too, but I won't wait for you to endorse to feel content.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 08:21 PM   #91
LocksmithNick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M Sport - G05

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by menelaos View Post
Yes, I mentioned it numerous times.
You paid $30k for a base X5 with a salvaged title....
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 09:15 PM   #92
alvav
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadmatic View Post
Are you seriously suggesting that I didn't do all of my necessary homework because I didn't uncover the fact that the CPO would have major failure 6 months down the road? The CPO and the runner up from the private seller still had over a year left on the manufacturer's warranty so this repair would have been covered either way.

You are missing the point... the CPO isn't necessarily the best choice when shopping for a pre-owned car. Take my X5 for example, it has been meticulously serviced and cared for, and has never had a single issue. I will likely sell it before the factory warranty expires and you will not find it on a BMW used car lot in the form of a CPO because it will be sold privately. I will disclose all of the details of my ownership and provide helpful insight to all potential buyers. The new owner will then have the remaining factory warranty and they will have the option to purchase an extended warranty if they choose to. As a used car buyer, I would much rather have this type of a buying experience than rolling the dice with a random used car salesman who is willing to say anything to make the deal and make his monthly quota. CPO or not, you will likely never know the car's true history from the dealer.

Is all of that really free, or did you actually pay a premium for it up front in the form of a CPO?

I'm assuming you mean "Without CPO and Out of Warranty". If I still own the car when it is out of warranty, I will take it to a reputable independent shop and avoid the dealership premium.

Uh, how are you going to get a warranty from BMW when buying from an individual?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 09:18 PM   #93
alvav
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
For sure, it's just that I ran into this vehicle and guy was great. Did not even inspect despite prior salvage title.
I was actually looking into an Audi S4, but backed out due to space.
Was never an SUV guy, much less automatic....but it was a good opportunity and I took it. My SAAB was also "young", 12K miles at the time.
Not sure if CPOs can be found at that low mileage...unless, I guess, you find an opportunity in a premature lease return.

"Did not inspect it despite salvage title".... Uh, let's end this thread(?)
Appreciate 2
      03-22-2018, 09:29 PM   #94
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport

Quote:
Indeed they can tell because I don't brag about my car because it does not define me.
It may define you I guess.

Aside from that, and because I don't resort to pettiness like you -i.e. comparing my car's features in CAPS no less to emphasize success-, I congratulate you on a good deal.
But I got a good deal too, but I won't wait for you to endorse to feel content.
I dunno, I don't think you're going to find too maybe people who agrees on your good deal. 30k for a base X5, salvage title, I think I saw in another thread you have rust under the drivers seat? from a flood which resulted in the salvage title. Now dropping 5k+ to try to get some M-Sport parts on it.

Your whole thought process is a bit mind boggling also. You make comments about buying a BMW means needing to be ok with dropping money for unexpected repairs yet in prior threads mention saving money to raise your daughter while buying $400 caliper covers because the MPBK is too expensive, but are in the process of dropping 5k+ to add M-Sport stuff to your car.
Wheels: Winter - 469m; Summer - Vossen CV7 22s

2018 X1 28i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 09:37 PM   #95
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeTeeX5 View Post
I dunno, I don't think you're going to find too maybe people who agrees on your good deal. 30k for a base X5, salvage title, I think I saw in another thread you have rust under the drivers seat? from a flood which resulted in the salvage title. Now dropping 5k+ to try to get some M-Sport parts on it.

Your whole thought process is a bit mind boggling also. You make comments about buying a BMW means needing to be ok with dropping money for unexpected repairs yet in prior threads mention saving money to raise your daughter while buying $400 caliper covers because the MPBK is too expensive, but are in the process of dropping 5k+ to add M-Sport stuff to your car.
I think there is $1000 difference between MPBK and Stock/Caliper Covers, no?
In addition, I am skipping MPE, which I would like, but don't want to pay so high, so I opted for a muffler delete.
On top of that, I opted for aftermarket CF parts, one third of OEM.
So I did make choices. It may not be the choices you would make but it's ok.
As for the car itself, I have only done oil and brake changes.
You'd think that a salvage-titled vehicle would have more issues, no?

As for my daughter, am saving plenty, trust me....yes, I could be saving more by sitting on my couch and not do car mods; am sure that would be the case for you, if not most of us here.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 09:40 PM   #96
LocksmithNick
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I seriously can’t figure the dude out.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 09:41 PM   #97
LocksmithNick
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvav View Post
😂 that’s what I’m sayin
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 09:42 PM   #98
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvav View Post
Correct, I have done over 25K miles since then w/no issue.
Guy who sold it to me had 2 Porsches, a Yukon Denali and was dropping 100K in renovating his house. Do you think a type of guy like him would try to fool somebody for 30K...I think not.

I also think we should end this discussion....for the opposite reason you do: because the car is fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 09:48 PM   #99
LocksmithNick
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Guy who sold it to me had 2 Porsches, a Yukon Denali and was dropping 100K in renovating his house. Do you think a type of guy like him would try to fool somebody for 30K...I think not.

I also think we should end this discussion....for the opposite reason you do: because the car is fine.
I’ve got a nice oceanfront piece of land right off the coast in Tennessee. It’s yours for $10,000. Go ahead and PayPal me! 😂😂😂
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 09:59 PM   #100
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granthp View Post
In a similar boat here. Looking at a 2015 xdrive3.5i about 500 miles away. Listed for about $46,500 as a CPO. Thinking of offering $41,500 and if they can’t make those numbers work, continue waiting until I find one closer to $40k.
Question: if purchasing a used x5 that has 2 years left on warranty, would you still get a Pre purchase inspection before flying to purchase? Or is the CPO PPI good enough?
Thanks!
As the person who bumped this old thread, I hold you responsible for the last two pages of posts

Anyways, I would still get a PPI if you can. It doesn't hurt to get a 3rd party to take a peak at it before flying out. It is worth the $200 IMO.

2018 X1 28i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 10:02 PM   #101
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I’ve got a nice oceanfront piece of land right off the coast in Tennessee. It’s yours for $10,000. Go ahead and PayPal me! 😂😂😂

You're quite a smart-"fill your blank here"

But you know what? it's ok.
There are folks like you out there that deserve to be ignored.

I will not reply to you on any thread going forward, including this one.
Promise.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 10:03 PM   #102
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep

Quote:

He must be doing something right

Could have got an X5M!!

https://www.autobidmaster.com/en/car...GE_HOUSTON_TX/

2018 X1 28i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 10:08 PM   #103
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
He must be doing something right

Could have got an X5M!!

https://www.autobidmaster.com/en/car...GE_HOUSTON_TX/
Actually, if you wait a bit, this will go higher.
There are lots of cars like this that are operable and can be fixed.
This particular one may fetch, say 35K, plus if you drop another 10-15k, depending on the situation, you can have a good X5M.
But, absolutely, there is always an element of risk, and whoever ventures into buying should be cognizant of the fact.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 10:11 PM   #104
LocksmithNick
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Actually, if you wait a bit, this will go higher.
There are lots of cars like this that are operable and can be fixed.
This particular one may fetch, say 35K, plus if you drop another 10-15k, depending on the situation, you can have a good X5M.
But, absolutely, there is always an element of risk, and whoever ventures into buying should be cognizant of the fact.
So base X5 with salvaged title for $30k = good deal

X5M with salvaged title for $35k = bad deal

Sound logic.

PS- that auction ends in 13 hours, so it’s not hitting $35k.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 10:14 PM   #105
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep

One could make a pretty lucrative business out of buying these salvage titled cars, repairing them and selling them to folks looking for a deal. Nawmsayin

2018 X1 28i M-Sport
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2018, 10:18 PM   #106
LocksmithNick
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
One could make a pretty lucrative business out of buying these salvage titled cars, repairing them and selling them to folks looking for a deal. Nawmsayin
I’d be doing home renovations too if I had just made $25k off a $4,000 salvaged X5 😂
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 10:35 PM   #107
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep

Quote:
I’d be doing home renovations too if I had just made $25k off a $4,000 salvaged X5 😂
down payment on Porsche number 3 perhaps.

2018 X1 28i M-Sport
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2018, 07:05 AM   #108
Granthp
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 M3

Quote:
As the person who bumped this old thread, I hold you responsible for the last two pages of posts

Anyways, I would still get a PPI if you can. It doesn't hurt to get a 3rd party to take a peak at it before flying out. It is worth the $200 IMO.
Thanks for the info. And didn't realize what I had started...Ha!

FYI - the dealer came back $1,000 less just like someone on here said (or an additional $1,500 off if I didn't want CPO). Dealer said they are in the car for $43k. Not sure if I believe that or not - someone I know just traded in a 2015 sdrive3.5i in with 23,000 miles for $37,500 (albeit different states and not near as many options as the one I'm looking at). I guess I will continue my search!
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2018, 07:05 AM   #109
alvav
Private
Canada
Rep

So, to summarize your advice:
-don’t buy CPO
-buy salvage and don’t have it inspected.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2018, 07:23 AM   #110
ronmexico385
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 Luxury Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granthp View Post
Thanks for the info. And didn't realize what I had started...Ha!

FYI - the dealer came back $1,000 less just like someone on here said (or an additional $1,500 off if I didn't want CPO). Dealer said they are in the car for $43k. Not sure if I believe that or not - someone I know just traded in a 2015 sdrive3.5i in with 23,000 miles for $37,500 (albeit different states and not near as many options as the one I'm looking at). I guess I will continue my search!

Saying they’re into it for 43k is complete BS imo, unless they are counting their refurbishment/repairs to get it to CPO shape at ridiculous market or higher than market prices ie. Paint bumper scuffs $2000, fix wheel curbage $1500, all fluids/wipers/etc $2000, new tires $2400 etc. There’s no way they gave more than 35 on trade in for it, probably less....if that is the case tell them you would like to sell them your car because their buyer is very generous
Appreciate 1
Chadmatic660.50