WI_Rob
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
I call out the auto industry to be in collusion with the oil industry ! Any thoughts, or am I a complete Nut Job Conspiracy Theorist ???
Neither. It is CARB/EPA/NHTSA. Stringent emission laws and standards make this difficult to produce to meet and still make profit with such a small demand for the product to begin with. Secondly federalization of an entirely new drivetrain for a small amount of units that will or may sell is just not worth the cost it would take to make legal here. If you crunch the numbers and look it at from their POV you can see why it is not available here.
This answer is spot on... but I also wish the option was viable here in the US!
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      04-21-2018, 07:19 AM   #24
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

You and me both... Same with some of the wagons ROW receives and the NAR only get SUV/SAV. It is frustrating and annoying.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003942.00
      04-22-2018, 08:33 PM   #25
WI_Rob
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
You and me both... Same with some of the wagons ROW receives and the NAR only get SUV/SAV. It is frustrating and annoying.
Totally agree. I listed after Audi RS4 & RS6s as a kid. Would love the option of a 550 wagon now!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 09:22 PM   #26
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
A friend of mine got a 2018 RS6 Avant. I am jelly.
      04-23-2018, 07:04 AM   #27
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Guessing your friend does not reside in the USA and he is lucky for many reasons.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003942.00
      04-26-2018, 07:58 PM   #28
BobbyG
BobbyG6
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35D

Conspiracy

Ok so 35 mpg in the UK comes out to 29.14 in the US. Then deduct what maybe 10%-20% for "US" fuel emissions ?? Then I guess you "COULD" get down to as low as 23 mpg US, but still doesn't make sense that it gets the same as the X5 35D (22 mpg US combined city/highway), with getting 50% more HP & Torque ? "Obviously" it depends how you drive but I'm talking average driving / fueleconomy.us (not sticker mpg). If you floor any high HP vehicle you're going to suck up more fuel than a regular HP vehicle, that's common sense. Also run flat tires or regular, you have to compare apples with apples. In addition, I agree that BMW would be crunching #'s to see if the US market would want to buy a race SAV/SUV diesel to see if it would sell, but why the hell would anyone want less power with the same or better fuel mileage ??? Supposedly from my research the majority of vehicles manufactured for the US have more HP anyways because they claim the the US markets demand more HP, so it still doesn't make sense to me and No one has really made a great point in my opinion, but thanks for any feedback.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003942.00
      04-26-2018, 10:05 PM   #29
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Ok so 35 mpg in the UK comes out to 29.14 in the US. Then deduct what maybe 10%-20% for "US" fuel emissions ?? Then I guess you "COULD" get down to as low as 23 mpg US, but still doesn't make sense that it gets the same as the X5 35D (22 mpg US combined city/highway), with getting 50% more HP & Torque ? "Obviously" it depends how you drive but I'm talking average driving / fueleconomy.us (not sticker mpg). If you floor any high HP vehicle you're going to suck up more fuel than a regular HP vehicle, that's common sense. Also run flat tires or regular, you have to compare apples with apples. In addition, I agree that BMW would be crunching #'s to see if the US market would want to buy a race SAV/SUV diesel to see if it would sell, but why the hell would anyone want less power with the same or better fuel mileage ??? Supposedly from my research the majority of vehicles manufactured for the US have more HP anyways because they claim the the US markets demand more HP, so it still doesn't make sense to me and No one has really made a great point in my opinion, but thanks for any feedback.
I don't think even the 50d would get 23mpg unless that's city and if that were the case that's still 8 more than my 50i and still most the torque! Lol
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 02:33 AM   #30
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 M50d

Quote:
In the UK 35mpg tops!
For me I'm getting 31.9mpg average over 14000miles.
Still good going bearing in mind the exceptional torque and BHP.
deutsch1003942.00