Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition Frozen Bla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyracer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-X5 View Post
Plus, the SVR is ~$30k more than the X5M for worse power, worse electronics, worse brakes.
Current MY SVR has 575 bhp, and an engine that both sounds better and is more responsive than the X5M's. It has a comparable brake setup to the X5M, with large discs and fixed front calipers.

Can't argue with you on the electronics, at least by reputation!

Surprised you didn't mention the X5M's handling advantage (no comparison there).
Does the SVR have the same brake setup as the V8 Dynamic range? My experience was the brakes on the Range faded way faster than that on the X5M, especially in repeated use and/or hot weather. Plus, the X5M rotors are two piece ventilated.

How is the current MY infotainment in the SVR? It looks like they took the center stack and infotainment from the Velar and ported it into the current MY Range Rover sport line. Is the touchscreen more responsive? Do they have connected infotainment for up to date POI and voice search? If they added those things in then the SVR may have closed the gap.
      04-19-2018, 02:59 PM   #46
Terminator02
Rep
Drives: 17 mineral white X5M

In all fairness having a perspective of more a responsive engine does not mean the poster who said less powerful is lying. We know the engine is around 645ish HP and until recently beat all in a straight. Around the track it does even better which indicates excellent engine response in the right settings.

Technically I would say my SRT Jeep is way more responsive than all...BUT...less power. NA 6.4L guarantees a very predictable instant response. The SVR is amazing though. Love it.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      04-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #47
Skyracer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-X5 View Post
Does the SVR have the same brake setup as the V8 Dynamic range? My experience was the brakes on the Range faded way faster than that on the X5M, especially in repeated use and/or hot weather. Plus, the X5M rotors are two piece ventilated.

How is the current MY infotainment in the SVR? It looks like they took the center stack and infotainment from the Velar and ported it into the current MY Range Rover sport line. Is the touchscreen more responsive? Do they have connected infotainment for up to date POI and voice search? If they added those things in then the SVR may have closed the gap.
Same size, according to their literature. I'm guessing what you describe is more down to pad compound and possibly better cooling on the BMW. I doubt the discs have much to do with it.

AFAIK the infotainment unit is the same as in the Velar. No idea about the last two questions; guess I'm a Luddite as I rarely use any voice commands. Thinking about it, I probably use only a fraction of the tech available in the X5 as I can't see the point of much of it.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      04-19-2018, 05:51 PM   #48
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

went to a land rover dealer to check out the velar in person. dunno what was up with this dealer but many of the new cars on the lot had damage- scrapes, bumper damage, wheel, etc.

beautiful cars.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      05-11-2018, 10:00 PM   #49
SJones8
Rep
Drives: 740i

Just had the 1 year anniversary for my Black on Black 2017 X5M, and as much as I enjoyed it the answer is unfortunately NO, would not buy again. For the last month, have been driving a family members new VW atlas, and after driving that, thought the beast will feel awesome but in fact it was quite the opposite.

You can't drive the X5m without instantly recognizing how highly engineered and designed for ultra high performance it is and then feeling frustrated about what a waste of ability it is to just use it as a daily driver thudding into potholes, sitting in bumper to bumper traffic, and when the road finally clears, still being faced with speed limits easily reached in 1st and 2nd gear. I had forgotten how smooth and silent "normal" cars are, how light the steering and soothing a nice plush ride is, and how sitting in the never ending traffic of a daily commute is less aggravating psychologically when there isn't 567hp raging to be let loose and you feel are going to waste just idling along (while you burn a gallon of fuel every few miles).

I think it depends where you live, the type of roads, traffic, routine and lifestyle, but in my opinion, its too much money to spend on a car that doesn't get to fulfill even 25% of its true potential. Maybe things would be different if I lived in Germany or something. If I were to buy the next gen X5, would probably look at the 35i and preferably option out some comfort tuned air suspension.
Appreciate 3
iconoclast7257.50
Chadmatic660.50
Mgarage66.50
      05-12-2018, 07:56 PM   #50
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesummer View Post
If I can get the same deal I have right now repeatedly, no doubt.

I'm currently leasing it with 0 down 0MSD, $1030 pretax/mo
How? What packages did you order with it?

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      05-15-2018, 09:18 AM   #51
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M

Wow - that is a lease rate way beyond anything I have uncovered in my search.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      05-15-2018, 09:35 AM   #52
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJones8 View Post
Just had the 1 year anniversary for my Black on Black 2017 X5M, and as much as I enjoyed it the answer is unfortunately NO, would not buy again. For the last month, have been driving a family members new VW atlas, and after driving that, thought the beast will feel awesome but in fact it was quite the opposite.

You can't drive the X5m without instantly recognizing how highly engineered and designed for ultra high performance it is and then feeling frustrated about what a waste of ability it is to just use it as a daily driver thudding into potholes, sitting in bumper to bumper traffic, and when the road finally clears, still being faced with speed limits easily reached in 1st and 2nd gear. I had forgotten how smooth and silent "normal" cars are, how light the steering and soothing a nice plush ride is, and how sitting in the never ending traffic of a daily commute is less aggravating psychologically when there isn't 567hp raging to be let loose and you feel are going to waste just idling along (while you burn a gallon of fuel every few miles).

I think it depends where you live, the type of roads, traffic, routine and lifestyle, but in my opinion, its too much money to spend on a car that doesn't get to fulfill even 25% of its true potential. Maybe things would be different if I lived in Germany or something. If I were to buy the next gen X5, would probably look at the 35i and preferably option out some comfort tuned air suspension.
You have highlighted the exact issue that I have been going back and forth on for too long. We have had our 2017 X5 35 w/ MPPK and dynamic handling package for a year now. Not a single issue and simply an outstanding vehicle - except for the real world passing / placement ability. In the last 3 or 4 months I have needed faster acceleration to place our Bimm where I needed to. That is also frustrating. The handling is outstanding but I don't drive around in Sport+ / manual shift / rpm in the power band most of the time. Our earlier X5 50i had gobs of torque on tap for real world driving - but the N63 TUxxx has been too problematic for me to go that route again. Our local dealership currently has 3 M550s in the shop with engine problems.

So, I guess it is all about tradeoffs - my earlier M5 was a blast but did get tiring on 6+ hour road trips - especially with a manual transmission. Car dealers make a mint off our continual search for the vehicle that meets most of our key needs most of the time LOL.
Appreciate 2
iconoclast7257.50
Chadmatic660.50
      05-15-2018, 10:47 AM   #53
RPI-M5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition Frozen Bla

This past weekend I had the opportunity to drive a 2018 Range Rover Sport HSE as a rental for 4 days. A couple of thoughts.

1. The RRS needs the V8 to be even manageable on the daily driving department. The V6 isn't even close to enough power for highway merging, or making that left turn in heavy traffic.

2. 20" wheels make the handling poor enough that I wasn't comfortable driving it remotely spiritedly. However, the trade was a super plush and comfortable ride

3. The new center stack (taken from the Velar) is unbelievable and ages beyond the previous tech. The bottom touchscreen and the digital dash rival Audi's virtual cockpit. Being able to have an analog tach, digital speedo, SiriusXM information on the left, and maps/nav on the right all in the dash was amazing. The touchscreen lag is almost entirely gone which is a huge improvement. This is way better than our current gen X5M. Would love to rent a newer gen BMW with the full LCD dash and new center stack to compare.

4. Navigation - was hard to test some things as the rental didn't have the subscriptions for traffic information and online search/data retrieval. Given that, the navigation I found actually useable in this model vs. my 2015 RRS v8 Dynamic with the previous gen infotainment/nav. The OS and user experience are eons better. All that said, BMW is still miles ahead in the infotainment, nav, electronics department.

5. Brakes - the stop well for sure, but the modulation and response is very uneven compared to the BMW. The X5M has a very even application given the amount of pedal travel. The RRS brake pedal is dead for the first 10-25%, then it just grabs hard and stops hard. not great when you have others in the car.
      05-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #54
Skyracer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJones8 View Post
Agree. If I was stuck in the city or suburbia, I would likely not have the highest performance variant. 15 years ago I was indeed located in the city and my DD was a 330i (couldn't bring myself to get the M3 only to get frustrated sitting in traffic). Luckily, I am now in backroad heaven, so restrictions need not apply
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      05-15-2018, 09:18 PM   #55
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slower than Ayrton Senna

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfan9 View Post
How? What packages did you order with it?
every option except extended leather and backseat entertainment. it was an employee lease.
      05-16-2018, 09:42 AM   #56
IND-Distribution
BMW obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 / G82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
For those of you who have been in the X5M for some time... Would you buy, lease or finance it again? Is this a vehicle you could see yourself going another round in or would you wait for the new platform or venture off into something different?
It was one of the cars we were sad to turn in after the lease was over and the one we put the most miles on.
      05-17-2018, 09:55 AM   #57
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

What replaced it?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 12:16 PM   #58
sworks335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F85 X5M

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Currently I am torn, had the vehicle for 9 months so far (2nd owner) and its had multiple problems. None of our other X5's have ever had nearly the problems this vehicle is having. It's nearing 50k miles and end of warranty, I wanted to keep it long term but its seriously making me question if thats a viable option.

Maybe all the gremlins have been worked out. Looking at records the 1st owner didn't have a single problem.

If I did leave this vehicle it would probably be for a Land Rover product again.
      05-18-2018, 10:30 PM   #59
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks335i View Post
Currently I am torn, had the vehicle for 9 months so far (2nd owner) and its had multiple problems. None of our other X5's have ever had nearly the problems this vehicle is having. It's nearing 50k miles and end of warranty, I wanted to keep it long term but its seriously making me question if thats a viable option.

Maybe all the gremlins have been worked out. Looking at records the 1st owner didn't have a single problem.

If I did leave this vehicle it would probably be for a Land Rover product again.
So what were the problems you experienced?
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      05-18-2018, 11:03 PM   #60
sworks335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Corps View Post
Quote:

So what were the problems you experienced?
Hubs, transfer case, steering column, seat heaters sporadically don't work, iPhone never syncs and hardly works, whistling noise on interstate, fluttering noise recently started from no where (think I found the culprit though, touch on that in a second). I work from home and rarely drive the vehicle so it's to the point where it feels like every time I drive it something breaks or doesn't work right. The whole reason for purchasing it was to put a smile on my face when I got a chance to drive it, but I typically end up frustrated.

On top of the issues and what probably has me the most fed up is the terrible service at my local dealership. If they were really great and made the fixes to the issues painless then I would probably be a completely happy customer, but to put it simply, they suck. The independent shop I use for our older X5 is hands down awesome. Dropped the e70 off the other day for an inspection and the owner drove me home in his e90 M3 instead of ordering me an Uber.

So while the vehicle going out of warranty would mean taking it to my independent shop, I certainly don't love the vehicle enough to want to replace another transfer case in it or any other large dollar item. Just doesn't pull my heart strings that hard.

For context, our last two e70s, 1st one (3.5i) only had a water pump fail in 100k miles. Current one (5.0i) has 115k miles and has had vacuum lines replaced, front thrust arms and an O ring in the front diff. I've had this X5M for 12k miles.
      05-18-2018, 11:49 PM   #61
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Wow, that is quite a lot. Good dealership or bad, that list of issues @ 12k would have me running for the hills as well.

I guess the question is if those are endemic to the X5 M or did you just get a bad build with too many unusual issues?

Also, I wonder how many of those issues may have been "engineered out" of the more recent models?
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      05-20-2018, 08:18 AM   #62
sworks335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Corps View Post
Wow, that is quite a lot. Good dealership or bad, that list of issues @ 12k would have me running for the hills as well.

I guess the question is if those are endemic to the X5 M or did you just get a bad build with too many unusual issues?

Also, I wonder how many of those issues may have been "engineered out" of the more recent models?
Yea, those thoughts have gone through my head. Out of all of our BMW's this one has had the most issues. I even had a first year 335i with 0 issues when everyone else I knew was having fuel pumps fail and waste gate rattle. Luck of the draw I guess.

Wait and see how the next 10k miles go and decide then but at this moment, I'm undecided. If I am going to have issues to deal with I'd rather have a Land Rover. If they produce the Discovery SVX I will probably change it up.
      05-20-2018, 12:40 PM   #63
foldpages
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020

Garage List
2020 AMG E63 S  [0.00]
2020 Jeep Wrangler  [0.00]
2017 X6 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Hubs, transfer case, steering column, seat heaters sporadically don't work, iPhone never syncs and hardly works, whistling noise on interstate, fluttering noise recently started from no where (think I found the culprit though, touch on that in a second). I work from home and rarely drive the vehicle so it's to the point where it feels like every time I drive it something breaks or doesn't work right. The whole reason for purchasing it was to put a smile on my face when I got a chance to drive it, but I typically end up frustrated.

On top of the issues and what probably has me the most fed up is the terrible service at my local dealership. If they were really great and made the fixes to the issues painless then I would probably be a completely happy customer, but to put it simply, they suck. The independent shop I use for our older X5 is hands down awesome. Dropped the e70 off the other day for an inspection and the owner drove me home in his e90 M3 instead of ordering me an Uber.

So while the vehicle going out of warranty would mean taking it to my independent shop, I certainly don't love the vehicle enough to want to replace another transfer case in it or any other large dollar item. Just doesn't pull my heart strings that hard.

For context, our last two e70s, 1st one (3.5i) only had a water pump fail in 100k miles. Current one (5.0i) has 115k miles and has had vacuum lines replaced, front thrust arms and an O ring in the front diff. I've had this X5M for 12k miles.
I'm somewhat in the same boat as you. Funny. I also work from home and don't use the car as much, but feel like every time I get in something new is broken.

My biggest issue right now is simply build quality. I don't have a single panel in my car that doesn't rattle or squeak. Every door trim, dashboard, trunk panels, seats and now steering column.

And I totally agree with you on dealer experience. My experience down here in Miami has been very bad and every time I drop off the car they either screw something up or break something (lost wheel locks, scratched bumper, ripped out plastic trim...)

Fortunately, I leased this car and I get to give it back in a year and I'm probably going to jump ship to a different brand.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      05-20-2018, 05:50 PM   #64
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
I saw the comments about rattles and then one started in the driver's door today

I have 6 months left in my lease. I have liked this car better than most I have had. I would buy the next generation X5M but it won't be available in time.

Looking at a new generation Cayenne Turbo...
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      05-22-2018, 12:41 PM   #65
brainblade
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 x5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesummer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCali View Post
How did you pull that off??? Most leases are $1500, no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckle View Post
Mine was an exec demo with 5k miles on it. No money down 15k miles per year with a $1560 payment including taxes. There were only 7 X5M's available in the SE at my time of purchase. I did get new rubber as part of the deal.

Again. It's an amazing vehicle, I love how it performs and to have a sports car that will haul softball gear/golf clubs and will make trips to the hunting club with ease... it's hard to beat. I smile every time I drive it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckle View Post
Yea, that's an amazing deal.
It was originally an employee lease. I got it before it even had its brake-in service
I'm sure your car is great but I'm very leary of "employee leased" cars. I responded to a 2016 x5m special ad by a dealer for 999 per month. I went to see the car with three thousand miles and it looked perfect. I asked them how they get the cars and was told this particular car was driven by a bmw executive. Upon close inspection I looked at paint on car and was surprised there was no rock chips - not a blemish on front bumper but I did see what appeared to be a lack of authentic orange peal. I asked he Dealer if it had been painted and they said no. So as I was signing the papers and asking for a complete car fax , the salesman brought a piece of paper showing me that the car had 20 thousand in repairs done do it and the car had been crashed at the Las Vegas motor speedway. I was disgusted but appreciated that they finally told me . I don't care what they say or what they do, I don't buy demos. Even more , was this an an auction car? Was the car driven by bmw executives and crashed ? How did it find it's way into a Dealer showroom ?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 01:09 PM   #66
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slower than Ayrton Senna

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainblade View Post
I'm sure your car is great but I'm very leary of "employee leased" cars. I responded to a 2016 x5m special ad by a dealer for 999 per month. I went to see the car with three thousand miles and it looked perfect. I asked them how they get the cars and was told this particular car was driven by a bmw executive. Upon close inspection I looked at paint on car and was surprised there was no rock chips - not a blemish on front bumper but I did see what appeared to be a lack of authentic orange peal. I asked he Dealer if it had been painted and they said no. So as I was signing the papers and asking for a complete car fax , the salesman brought a piece of paper showing me that the car had 20 thousand in repairs done do it and the car had been crashed at the Las Vegas motor speedway. I was disgusted but appreciated that they finally told me . I don't care what they say or what they do, I don't buy demos. Even more , was this an an auction car? Was the car driven by bmw executives and crashed ? How did it find it's way into a Dealer showroom ?
I've been friends with the original owner for over a decade and I saw the car the same night he took delivery of it

but yes, since demo cars are "never titled", they are more of in a grey area in regards to their history. I wouldn't be surprised if it was demo'd during a car meet. I know one "M Specialized" dealership in CA that regularly put high miles on their BMW individual ordered M cars. The sales claimed that all cars are still brand new even though they have nearly break in miles on them and the cars simply have been to a few local "shows"

Last edited by Bluesummer; 05-22-2018 at 01:18 PM..
Appreciate 0