BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

04-01-2018, 02:02 AM   #1
Twin Peaks
N00B
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i (F15)

F15/X5 50i - Need advice/etc on final service - Issues and Service Response?

A little history, I purchased my x5 used (Non-CPO but still under factory) about a month ago. There were some warranty related issues and covered service work that was required before the bumper/bumper expired.

*Here is where it is at by dates and concerns below that.
  • 3/25 - Dropped my "2014 x5 50i" off for final bumper/bumper service/warranty check. They gave me a loaner.
  • 3/26 - 4y/50k expired (I purchased a BMW Platinum extended warranty a couple weeks prior)
  • 3/27 - Dropped loaner off - they were supposed to be done on 3/28
  • 4/1 - No update on car status, they only had one service guy working and he had no notes on my car. He provided another loaner. Dealer still has the car.

Here are some of the issues that concern me and current responses below. There are other issues the car had that are being taken care of and not listed.
  1. Connected drive/internet/widgets worked a couple weeks ago, but it is not working anywhere now.
    Service Response: 3/30 - Advised that I work with BMW Genius at dealership
    BMW Genius at dealership Response: 3/30 - We will refresh/deactivate/restart the connected drive system when I pick the vehicle up.
  2. Seat controls (bolsters) : The motor in the seat controls make an abnormal/grinding sound and sometimes the button needs manually pressed repeatedly when it “tightens up” around my waist/ribs (20-way power Multi-contour front seats).
    Service Response: 3/27- This is normal
    Service Response: 3/27- I responded with "it is not normal"
    Service Response: 3/30 - BMW Genius at dealership stated that he checked this out in another customers vehicle and it sounded and behaved exactly like mine. i.e. the loud/obnoxious grinding and pressing and holding repeatedly.
  3. I have not seen the headlight cleansing feature work yet. Possibly does work but can’t confirm.
    Service Response: 3/30 - It is working but have not tested, lights must be set to auto and it activates every 3-4 cycles when using the windshield wipers.
  4. Rattling in either tailgate, 2nd row seats, or sunroof. I did mention in person that the rattle was extremely loud when going through a car wash so I believe the issue is the sunroof.
    Service Response: 3/30 - Service will look into the rattling in the tailgate/sunroof.
  5. Fuel economy has not went above 15.6mpg highway on eco mode from Pittsburgh, PA to Washington DC and back twice. The vehicle is listed at 15/22.
    Service Response: 4/1 - No response yet.
    BMW Genius at dealership Response: 3/30 - This is normal and to be expected on a 4.4 v8.
  6. The heat/a.c. set to certain temperatures with auto and sync on does not maintain temperature automatically.
    Service Response: 3/27 - It is working normally.
    Forum topic started in re to 50i AC: 4/4 - I'll check this out when I get it back. I have dual climate and 3rd row packages, this could either be just a configuration issue or something broken.
    http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1391569
  7. Night vision/pdc mode often freezes for 1-3 seconds at a time. Also, night vision is crooked. It should be level with the vehicle/Road.
    Service Response: 3/27 - The night vision is working as it should.
    BMW Genius at dealership Response: 3/30 - This is normal, at certain speeds there is a delay in the feed/video.

There are a couple things that concern me and I would like to hear it from other 50i or similar optioned owners. I have this feeling that some of what I am being told is normal may not be like the seats getting worse to the point where people look at me sideways when I start the car and it slowly grinds around their body (Comfort access/memory). I feel like I should go check the car out and record video/pictures of the issues I am describing sometime this week just in case one of these components fail a day after I pick it up. I expect some of these concerns/issues on a base model Jeep after 4 years but not a 100k MSRP vehicle that was still under warranty as "normally operating". Please, correct me if I am wrong in my assumption.
  1. Should the seat bolsters make a loud leather rubbing + grinding sound, is that normal?
  2. Does the button that tightens up around the ribs require being pressed more than once to fully compress/tighten? (I am 160lbs by the way, not big at all)
  3. Is the fuel economy average in the 50i around 15.6 mpg when using eco mode?
  4. Does the auto + sync in heating actually reach the desired temperature? The first loaner I had was equipped with auto+sync and it reached the desired temperature in about 3-5 minutes.
  5. Does the night vision freeze/stutter when you are viewing it at low/high speeds?
  6. Should the night vision feed/stream be level in its orientation?

Last edited by Twin Peaks; 04-04-2018 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: added text
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 09:24 AM   #2
CT335xi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 m50i, 2005 evo 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Peaks View Post
A little history, I purchased my x5 used (Non-CPO but still under factory) about a month ago. There were some warranty related issues and covered service work that was required before the bumper/bumper expired.

*Here is where it is at by dates and concerns below that.
  • 3/25 - Dropped my "2014 x5 50i" off for final bumper/bumper service/warranty check. They gave me a loaner.
  • 3/26 - 4y/50k expired (I purchased a BMW Platinum extended warranty a couple weeks prior)
  • 3/27 - Dropped loaner off - they were supposed to be done on 3/28
  • 4/1 - No update on car status, they only had one service guy working and he had no notes on my car. He provided another loaner. Dealer still has the car.

Here are some of the issues that concern me and current responses below. There are other issues the car had that are being taken care of and not listed.
  1. Connected drive/internet/widgets worked a couple weeks ago, but it is not working anywhere now.
    Service Response: 3/30 - Advised that I work with BMW Genius at dealership
    BMW Genius at dealership Response: 3/30 - We will refresh/deactivate/restart the connected drive system when I pick the vehicle up.
  2. Seat controls (bolsters) : The motor in the seat controls make an abnormal/grinding sound and sometimes the button needs manually pressed repeatedly when it “tightens up” around my waist/ribs (20-way power Multi-contour front seats).
    Service Response: 3/27- This is normal
    Service Response: 3/27- I responded with "it is not normal"
    Service Response: 3/30 - BMW Genius at dealership stated that he checked this out in another customers vehicle and it sounded and behaved exactly like mine. i.e. the loud/obnoxious grinding and pressing and holding repeatedly.
  3. I have not seen the headlight cleansing feature work yet. Possibly does work but can’t confirm.
    Service Response: 3/30 - It is working but have not tested, lights must be set to auto and it activates every 3-4 cycles when using the windshield wipers.
  4. Rattling in either tailgate, 2nd row seats, or sunroof. I did mention in person that the rattle was extremely loud when going through a car wash so I believe the issue is the sunroof.
    Service Response: 3/30 - Service will look into the rattling in the tailgate/sunroof.
  5. Fuel economy has not went above 15.6mpg highway on eco mode from Pittsburgh, PA to Washington DC and back twice. The vehicle is listed at 15/22.
    Service Response: 4/1 - No response yet.
    BMW Genius at dealership Response: 3/30 - This is normal and to be expected on a 4.4 v8.
  6. The heat/a.c. set to certain temperatures with auto and sync on does not maintain temperature automatically.
    Service Response: 3/27 - It is working normally.
  7. Night vision/pdc mode often freezes for 1-3 seconds at a time. Also, night vision is crooked. It should be level with the vehicle/Road.
    Service Response: 3/27 - The night vision is working as it should.
    BMW Genius at dealership Response: 3/30 - This is normal, at certain speeds there is a delay in the feed/video.

There are a couple things that concern me and I would like to hear it from other 50i or similar optioned owners. I have this feeling that some of what I am being told is normal may not be like the seats getting worse to the point where people look at me sideways when I start the car and it slowly grinds around their body (Comfort access/memory). I feel like I should go check the car out and record video/pictures of the issues I am describing sometime this week just in case one of these components fail a day after I pick it up. I expect some of these concerns/issues on a base model Jeep after 4 years but not a 100k MSRP vehicle that was still under warranty as "normally operating". Please, correct me if I am wrong in my assumption.
  1. Should the seat bolsters make a loud leather rubbing + grinding sound, is that normal?
  2. Does the button that tightens up around the ribs require being pressed more than once to fully compress/tighten? (I am 160lbs by the way, not big at all)
  3. Is the fuel economy average in the 50i around 15.6 mpg when using eco mode?
  4. Does the auto + sync in heating actually reach the desired temperature? The first loaner I had was equipped with auto+sync and it reached the desired temperature in about 3-5 minutes.
  5. Does the night vision freeze/stutter when you are viewing it at low/high speeds?
  6. Should the night vision feed/stream be level in its orientation?
Sorry to hear your having some issues as I just picked up a cpo 2014 x5 50i with my warranty running until 10/19. I can comment on your fuel economy as it seems rather low if that was all highway commute , I’m seeing about 16-16.5 mpg with about 50/50 city + highway driving in comfort mode with some spirited driving here and there. Every week been monitoring it , getting about 300 miles to 18-18.5 gallons give or take. What did you pay for your extended warranty? Good luck
04 325xi, 91 gmc Syclone, 08 335xi, and 13 x3 35i msp
2014 x5 50i msport
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 10:26 AM   #3
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

If you're in Pittsburgh, what part?

Auto climate doesn't change the seat heater temp, I know my mdx does when set to auto. Also, my auto temp doesn't change the fan speed, the appears to be needed to be changed separately which is very stupid to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 11:21 AM   #4
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
Auto climate doesn't change the seat heater temp, I know my mdx does when set to auto. Also, my auto temp doesn't change the fan speed, the appears to be needed to be changed separately which is very stupid to me.
Auto temp has no control of the seat heater. My old MDX worked the same way.

Also, while the fan speed should vary in auto, you still need to set the maximum fan speed. The fan will vary from low to whatever maximum fan speed you have set, as needed. BMW does some weird engineering things. To verify if this is working, next time you start X after a long sit, turn the temp to auto, roll up the temperature and turn the fan to max. If working correctly, the fan should stay on low and automatically adjust upwards as the vehicle warms up and heat is available.

My seat bolsters make no noise and operate continuously as long as the button is pressed.

I get about 15-16mpg with a 80/20 city/highway mix, mostly in comfort and I like the gas pedal.

Last edited by Rotzy; 04-01-2018 at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 12:06 PM   #5
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Most of that sounds like problems you have with the car and not problems the car has. It's a twin turbo v8, gas mileage on mine averages 18-19. It's cold out and current gas is likely still winter blend, so may get slightly better towards summer. Yes, the side bolsters go... eeeeeeeerrrrrr as they clamp down and tighten up. No big deal. Likely the type of mechanism necessary to squeeze the seat. If your 160 lbs then they have to move pretty far to squeeze you. I do think they should just stay squeezed instead of doing it everytime you get in, but they do that for easy entry/exit likely.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 12:09 PM   #6
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Headlight washers do not work everytime. They wash the headlights once after 3 times you spray the windshield in a short period of time. If you listen, you can hear the motor running and see spray over the hood when they come on. Try it in the driveway.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 12:31 AM   #7
Twin Peaks
N00B
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT335xi View Post
Sorry to hear your having some issues as I just picked up a cpo 2014 x5 50i with my warranty running until 10/19. I can comment on your fuel economy as it seems rather low if that was all highway commute , I’m seeing about 16-16.5 mpg with about 50/50 city + highway driving in comfort mode with some spirited driving here and there. Every week been monitoring it , getting about 300 miles to 18-18.5 gallons give or take. What did you pay for your extended warranty? Good luck
Can't say exactly, was asked not to broadcast. I did find a great quote that was substantially less than all other quotes from 6 different BMW dealerships. i.e. one quote for 16k, one for 14k and the one I got was much less and what I would consider reasonable for my options.

I strongly suggest if your looking to send an email to Jeff, it will only take you a couple minutes to compile and send. I think you'll see if you are comparing. http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...php?p=22990980

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
If you're in Pittsburgh, what part?

West Mifflin/Homestead.

Yeah, I knew that the seats were separate even with the comfort option. I did figure out the fan speed w/ auto about 2 weeks into ownership but it still seems to not reach or continuously maintain those temperatures. When I get it back I think I will use my infrared and physical thermometer to measure the temps vs what the car says it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzy View Post
Auto temp has no control of the seat heater. My old MDX worked the same way.

Also, while the fan speed should vary in auto, you still need to set the maximum fan speed. The fan will vary from low to whatever maximum fan speed you have set, as needed. BMW does some weird engineering things. To verify if this is working, next time you start X after a long sit, turn the temp to auto, roll up the temperature and turn the fan to max. If working correctly, the fan should stay on low and automatically adjust upwards as the vehicle warms up and heat is available.

My seat bolsters make no noise and operate continuously as long as the button is pressed.

I get about 15-16mpg with a 80/20 city/highway mix, mostly in comfort and I like the gas pedal.
Yeah I'll try that also with the heat/fans at max heat/speed on auto.

The seat bolsters are annoyingly loud and definitely required some "finessing".

I'll have to keep driving it more to let the car learn me I guess. I know there is a section with stats on fuel economy per mode (Eco/Comfort/Sport). I don't think it resets after every trip, which may contribute to my overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
Most of that sounds like problems you have with the car and not problems the car has. It's a twin turbo v8, gas mileage on mine averages 18-19. It's cold out and current gas is likely still winter blend, so may get slightly better towards summer. Yes, the side bolsters go... eeeeeeeerrrrrr as they clamp down and tighten up. No big deal. Likely the type of mechanism necessary to squeeze the seat. If your 160 lbs then they have to move pretty far to squeeze you. I do think they should just stay squeezed instead of doing it everytime you get in, but they do that for easy entry/exit likely.
The night vision & seats not so much, the temperature/hvac... maybe . The side bolsters do more than just an eeeeerrrrrr when they clamp down, its more like a eeeeeerrrrrrrroooooghhhhhhhhuuuuuuughhhhhhh then an eeerroooghhhhuuughhhhh every time I adjust any further. It's embarrassingly loud and the more I think about it unacceptable as normally operating. No one would buy a car off a lot that sounded like this, its far from normal. I just got an x3 loaner with seat bolsters yesterday, granted its a 2018... its absolutely silent. I have to focus with the radio/air off to hear it. 2014 was not that long ago and this car was babied by the previous owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
Headlight washers do not work everytime. They wash the headlights once after 3 times you spray the windshield in a short period of time. If you listen, you can hear the motor running and see spray over the hood when they come on. Try it in the driveway.
I'll absolutely give this a try and also setup my camera to check it out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I will do is physically go there this week and record a video of the seats operating when the vehicle is turned on/adjusting and share it instead of trying to explain the sounds via text lol. I think when you hear it, you'll agree it doesn't sound "normal". This car has almost every option, i.e. B&O and the constant knocking of the roof and grinding of both front seats sounds are really ruining it for me and guest/family/friends/coworkers.

I'll let them know again tomorrow I am concerned with the sound/behavior even though they convinced me for a short while it was normal. I hope they make it right and kill those sounds. To be continued!
      04-02-2018, 12:57 PM   #8
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

OP your car is 4 years old. Parts will age. Sensors will go out of sync. Unless broken or really out of sync by a lot, dealer won't do anything.
I had to make it such a big deal to have them fix a loud rattle in the driver door on my last service on the 750. Had to get the GM of the dealership involved. For a car that had retailed for over 100k, I told them I wasn't coming back and would want them to give me a printout that said customer reported xxx problems and no problems were found by the dealership, because if it breaks down 2 months later, I will have proof that I did report it and decline paying for diagnosis atleast. Same thing with a broken parking sensor that went on beeping everytime it rained, and there was no way to test so they just brushed me off. Etc. Etc.

Past: 2013 750i xdrive, 2008 535xi
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 01:37 PM   #9
Twin Peaks
N00B
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahiljain22 View Post
OP your car is 4 years old. Parts will age. Sensors will go out of sync. Unless broken or really out of sync by a lot, dealer won't do anything.
I had to make it such a big deal to have them fix a loud rattle in the driver door on my last service on the 750. Had to get the GM of the dealership involved. For a car that had retailed for over 100k, I told them I wasn't coming back and would want them to give me a printout that said customer reported xxx problems and no problems were found by the dealership, because if it breaks down 2 months later, I will have proof that I did report it and decline paying for diagnosis atleast. Same thing with a broken parking sensor that went on beeping everytime it rained, and there was no way to test so they just brushed me off. Etc. Etc.
Totally true about aging parts/sensors etc. Technically per the manufacturer service and warranty for our cars;

New Vehicle Limited Warranty:
Limited coverage for defects in materials and workmanship for 4 years/50,000 miles from the original in-service date, whichever comes first. Repairs will only be made at authorized BMW SAV centers using Original BMW Parts.

-------------------------------------------------------------

So far, I've been pretty optimistic/positive overall with the service and really don't have anything negative to mention other than they are super busy but that's business! I have requested that they do a review of each issue/consult with me prior to closing the work order since its the last 4yr/50k service on the car. I am assuming I will get a printout/receipt of everything discussed/checked off when I pick it up. I'll also do a walk around video on the car/condition of electronics/components including the seats when I pick it up which I hope will not include the seat crying out or rattling. I really hope they fix the seat and rattling, I don't want to escalate or go above anyone on my first service visit .

So did you ever get your issues resolved via the dealer or indy or yourself? Did you parts/components ever fail? How long ago was the incident?

Thanks!
      04-02-2018, 05:37 PM   #10
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Peaks View Post
Totally true about aging parts/sensors etc. Technically per the manufacturer service and warranty for our cars;

New Vehicle Limited Warranty:
Limited coverage for defects in materials and workmanship for 4 years/50,000 miles from the original in-service date, whichever comes first. Repairs will only be made at authorized BMW SAV centers using Original BMW Parts.

-------------------------------------------------------------

So far, I've been pretty optimistic/positive overall with the service and really don't have anything negative to mention other than they are super busy but that's business! I have requested that they do a review of each issue/consult with me prior to closing the work order since its the last 4yr/50k service on the car. I am assuming I will get a printout/receipt of everything discussed/checked off when I pick it up. I'll also do a walk around video on the car/condition of electronics/components including the seats when I pick it up which I hope will not include the seat crying out or rattling. I really hope they fix the seat and rattling, I don't want to escalate or go above anyone on my first service visit .

So did you ever get your issues resolved via the dealer or indy or yourself? Did you parts/components ever fail? How long ago was the incident?

Thanks!
This was last year. In my experience, good BMW techs know certain things will not break down anytime soon, even through they are starting to age. In my case, I will give them a laundry list of issues and tell them to fix atleast a few that they can reproduce. But certain issues you will have to escalate - the rattle in my case, where I took the BMW tech on a ride (after he convinced he test drove and couldn't find it) and it took me 60 seconds to reproduce and he acknowledged, yes that's loud and fixable.

I usually again will get the dealer to acknowledge all the issues on the paperwork, and have been able to go back and have them fix things when they actually break and show them the paperwork saying I told you this was going bad (parking sensor finally on constant alarm on a rainy day, drove in, showed the SA, I paid for part and labor ~$200, this 5 months later). Others I will DIY and some things I'll leave for the indy.

Past: 2013 750i xdrive, 2008 535xi
Appreciate 0