spyderbret
M3 ZCP Rocks!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP\2018 X5 35i

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Digital Gauge Cluster - Fuel Levels

So I just got my new 2018 35i a week and a half ago and have only filled it up twice so far but I noticed something kind of off in the way it shows fuel level. I have the digital gauge cluster so this may or may not apply to the standard gauge cluster.

It would appear on the surface that the Distance To Empty does not closely match the actual fuel gauge. See first picture. The DTE shows about a quarter left while the dial shows more than that available.

Then when I go to fill up it would appear it is not filling all the way. See second picture. This is after adding over 16 gallons over what was already in the first picture. The DTE shows almost a quarter tank used and 421 DTE. The dial also looks like it may not quite be to the full level.

Has anyone else noticed something similar? Maybe I just have a calibration issue? Or maybe my tank is not filling all the way?

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome!!

And if Lena Dunham looked like Bella Thorne, then I'd probably have seen at least one episode of Girls too.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 02:54 PM   #2
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

It's not a calibration issue, is your interpretation which is wrong. The estimated range is based on your driving style and load on the engine over the last few miles.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 02:58 PM   #3
spyderbret
M3 ZCP Rocks!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalinP View Post
It's not a calibration issue, is your interpretation which is wrong. The estimated range is based on your driving style and load on the engine over the last few miles.
Definitely a consideration. But if I just filled up the tank shouldn't DTE show max range and fill the bar? It did on the 2015 X5d that I just turned in but it did not have the digital gauge cluster.
And if Lena Dunham looked like Bella Thorne, then I'd probably have seen at least one episode of Girls too.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 03:02 PM   #4
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

If your board computer’s memory would be blank, that bar would be full.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #5
Jlu88
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 XDrive35i M Sport

The fuel level is usually not entirely accurate due to the shape of the fuel tank as they use a floating level sensor to measure how much fuel there is.

You could park your car on an incline somewhere and you'll have a full tank of gas lol

2017 X5 xDrive35i M Sport - Space Gray | Adaptive M | Eibach Pro | H&R Spacers | MPPK | MPE | Autotechnik Gloss Black Dual Slat Kidney Grills | Autotechnik Gloss Black Fender Vents | Leather Knee Pads | Painted Front Reflectors | M50D Trim - Gone

Last edited by Jlu88; 04-08-2018 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 02:59 PM   #6
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

When I brim my tank it often doesn't show as full until after a few miles and possibly turning off and on. It seems worse when I try to squeeze in as much fuel as possible. I wondered if it somehow causes a level sensor issue. It used to irritate me but I just live with it now!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 04:24 PM   #7
spyderbret
M3 ZCP Rocks!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
If anyone with the digital gauge cluster would be willing to post a picture right after they fill up it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 04:42 PM   #8
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbret View Post
If anyone with the digital gauge cluster would be willing to post a picture right after they fill up it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!
One thing I notice is when I fill up with Ron98, it fills up the miles all the way! Unlike when I put Ron95 I get 3/4 of the slop covered.

Might be that different grade of fuel gives you some longer range...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 05:19 PM   #9
owine
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 X5 x45e

Quote:

Thanks in advance!!
I had driven a couple of miles post fill up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-11-2018, 05:31 PM   #10
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by owine View Post
Quote:

Thanks in advance!!
Wow, is that the 50i? Full tank mileage sucks. A Tesla can do more miles on a single charge
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 05:38 PM   #11
owine
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbinshihon View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance!!
Wow, is that the 50i? Full tank mileage sucks. A Tesla can do more miles on a single charge
It's the 35i but it's been exclusively stop and go city driving since the last reset in iDrive. Beats the old RRSC it replaced though.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 05:41 PM   #12
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance!!
It's the 35i but it's been exclusively stop and go city driving since the last reset in iDrive. Beats the old RRSC it replaced though.
Still that dose not look good. Whats the MPG on yours, mine seems to get worse and worse with age!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 06:31 PM   #13
owine
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance!!
Still that dose not look good. Whats the MPG on yours, mine seems to get worse and worse with age!
I'm at about 14 MPG I believe
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 06:38 PM   #14
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance!!
I'm at about 14 MPG I believe
Something isn't right. My car is 4 years old now and getting 15 stuck in traffic. At those rates theres no really big difference with the 50i
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 07:04 PM   #15
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
a bicycle doesn't use any fuel or electricity so it must be better than a tesla. you're comparing apples to potatoes.

Quote:
Something isn't right. My car is 4 years old now and getting 15 stuck in traffic. At those rates theres no really big difference with the 50i
from my experience owning different vehicles... if the same car is offered with an eight cylinder or more power motor it usually isn't significantly more mpg... the worst was the 4L Q7. the difference between the 6cyl and the 8cyl was 1mpg but the driving experience was much better with the 4.2L.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 07:16 PM   #16
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Quote:
a bicycle doesn't use any fuel or electricity so it must be better than a tesla. you're comparing apples to potatoes.

Quote:
from my experience owning different vehicles... if the same car is offered with an eight cylinder or more power motor it usually isn't significantly more mpg... the worst was the 4L Q7. the difference between the 6cyl and the 8cyl was 1mpg but the driving experience was much better with the 4.2L.
I was just teasing him with the tesla talk..

Yup, totally different beast the V8 twin turbo x5. The way that motor lefts the car cant be replicated with the single turbo six cylinder.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 07:46 PM   #17
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance!!
Hahahahaha ya but no one buys a 50i for mpg. It's quite the opposite. And I can go A LOT faster for a lot longer in my 50i than a Tesla and spend less buying it. And I get about 290-320 a tank. 400-450 if long hwy drive.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 07:55 PM   #18
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance!!
Hahahahaha ya but no one buys a 50i for mpg. It's quite the opposite. And I can go A LOT faster for a lot longer in my 50i than a Tesla and spend less buying it. And I get about 290-320 a tank. 400-450 if long hwy drive.
300 miles per tank is okay for 50i especially in traffic or pushing it hard. Now the 35i with only this much range is laughable because the motor always feels out of breath
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 11:15 PM   #19
Jlu88
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 XDrive35i M Sport

Biggest mistake I made was not going for the 50i.

I drive city 95% of the time averaging around 270-300 miles per tank and it seems all the 50is are getting around similar mpg in city driving.

Was planning to keep the 35i for a while but definitely having 2nd thoughts...

2017 X5 xDrive35i M Sport - Space Gray | Adaptive M | Eibach Pro | H&R Spacers | MPPK | MPE | Autotechnik Gloss Black Dual Slat Kidney Grills | Autotechnik Gloss Black Fender Vents | Leather Knee Pads | Painted Front Reflectors | M50D Trim - Gone
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2018, 11:11 AM   #20
owine
Private
United_States
Rep

I somewhat regret not going for the 50i. I initially told the dealer I wanted it and was shellshocked when he talked me out of it. I loaded up on other features instead and I regret none of those.

Looks like Bimmercode has a (new?) option to change the scale of this digital gauge between 20l/100km and 30l/100km. Might have to check that out.

I'm not overly concerned about the MPG given it's been cold and used on a lot of short city trips in the most recent readings. A couple of summer road trips will give me a better opportunity to monitor things on that front.

For the record, I do not wish I had a Tesla.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2018, 01:43 PM   #21
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance!!
One thing I notice is when I fill up with Ron98, it fills up the miles all the way! Unlike when I put Ron95 I get 3/4 of the slop covered.

Might be that different grade of fuel gives you some longer range...
The change of filling indication with different gasoline grades reminds me of my small plane fuel tank.

Its fuel level sensor is capacitive: just two metal plates on opposite sides of the tank and the sensor exploits the different dielectric values of air and gasoline between the plates.

Advantage: no moving parts, no holes through tank walls.

Disadvantage: the sensor must be calibrated again every time the fuel type (AVGAS 100 LL or car gasoline) is changed, as different fuels have different dielectric values. Calibration is easy: fill to top, push the calibration button, the fuel computer does the rest.

I wonder if anybody has access to the tech manual of this BMW model and verify the fuel level sensor system used.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 02:20 PM   #22
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

I also thought about getting the 50i because honestly fuel concerns aren't much different with the 35i... However... If I went with a 50i which I've built many times and contemplated.. with the options "I want" the price would have been very close to a X5M... So why would I get a 50i when I can just go all out on the X5M?