BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-12-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
gujuman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

V1 Hardwire Anybody?

I have had a Valentine V1 radar detector for the last 6 years and it has saved my butt over and over again. Has anyone seen detail instructions on here anywhere with how to hardwire it to the central roof console/lights?

Thanks
G
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 08:28 AM   #2
someguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gujuman View Post
I have had a Valentine V1 radar detector for the last 6 years and it has saved my butt over and over again. Has anyone seen detail instructions on here anywhere with how to hardwire it to the central roof console/lights?

Thanks
G
bump.

someguy
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 07:53 AM   #3
Poindexter
Revenge of the Nerds
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Interested in hearing about this too.

Past Bimmers: E46 M3, E60 M5, and a few Spec E30 race cars
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 08:18 PM   #4
someguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
No but I'll hard wire it next time I am out on LI.
What is LI?

someguy
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 12:37 PM   #5
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

It's not hard... I did mine in my M5.. should be about the same.. make sure you got a panel removing tool (basically a small nylon crowbar).

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...ht=hardwire+v1
      02-01-2014, 07:08 PM   #6
Bigtop
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gujuman View Post

Thanks
G
I want to hook into the cigarette lighter on the passenger side, like the E70. Is it the same, the green and white wire under the thin carpeted panel below the gear lever next to the passenger?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 02:21 PM   #7
Bigtop
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtop View Post
I want to hook into the cigarette lighter on the passenger side, like the E70. Is it the same, the green and white wire under the thin carpeted panel below the gear lever next to the passenger?
Ok, the cigarette lighter on the F15 is live permanently, not like the E70 that would terminate the circuit upon turning the car off. I took the passenger thin strip carpeted side panel off (below the gear lever). You can see the only wires are the ones going to the cigarette lighter. These are green/red, brown and a thin grey/white/green one. However the power one (green/red) is live all the time, as mentioned.

I want to mount my radar detector just above the dash, I don't like it up near the rear view mirror.

Anyone have any suggestions of where to hook in lower down?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 02:52 PM   #8
dn325ci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 325Ci

You sure that lighter is permanently live? I haven't checked our F15, but the auxiliary connector in my E46 is live for about 10 minutes after shutdown, and starts immediately upon unlock or door opening. So it looks like it's on all the time but it's not.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #9
Bigtop
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dn325ci View Post
You sure that lighter is permanently live? I haven't checked our F15, but the auxiliary connector in my E46 is live for about 10 minutes after shutdown, and starts immediately upon unlock or door opening. So it looks like it's on all the time but it's not.
Good question, I am not sure if it is on a delay switch? If I use the standard Passport 9500ix coiled smartcord plugged into the cigarette lighter socket and switch the car off, the radar detector remains on. However, I haven't gone back to the car after 10 minutes to look and see if it still is running.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 05:17 AM   #10
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M5 ZCP

Forget about hardwire go with the savvy best thing ever connects to your obd connector and comes with alot of features
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #11
someguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTX5 View Post
Forget about hardwire go with the savvy best thing ever connects to your obd connector and comes with alot of features
Where, exactly, is the OBD connector in the F15?

someguy
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #12
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M5 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTX5 View Post
I never been the inside of the new x5 but im guessing it should be near the pedals
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 05:16 PM   #13
Bigtop
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dn325ci View Post
You are right, I did install it and all works fine. The radar detector just turns off when the interior lights turn off automatically.

Just connect to the green and red wire next to the cigarette lighter connector behind the carpeted strip on the passenger side. You can hide the rest of the radar detector wire behind that and run it behind the fuse panel cover (under the glove compartment) which now is easier than the E70 because if just has 3 twist latches to undo.

Then run the wire behind the rubber strip running up the side of the door pillar and then the crack between the leather dash and the windscreen vent to the radar detector. Done!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 12:48 PM   #14
F15Diesel
Rep
Drives: F15 Diesel

Hardwire for $13 and <30 mins

As Bigtop said the green and red wire next to the cigarette lighter connector behind the carpeted strip on the passenger side provides power.

Very straightforward if you're using the V1 direct wire kit (recommended) then the power module slides right up under the center console and you can use any of the center console mounting bolts that are visible as the ground.

Two slightly harder pieces but still not difficult:

1. Pulling the carpet off - trick is there is a torx screw at the very front and then slide in clips at the back. You can pull it off by pulling the center of it and bending it so the clips pull off (pull hard - don't be afraid), but undoing the screw at the front would make it easier.

2. You need to strip a little of the coating off the wire to get the wiring harness connector to close over the wire.

Next step for me is to try to install the concealed display in the ashtray. I'd need to fish a line through the console to the wiring harness connector and either ditch the ashtray insert or drill a hole in it. I did that in my E46 and loved it as it was right in front of the shifter. Here it's a little more of a reach. Anyone done that yet?

Here is the screw and finished product
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 01:41 PM   #15
dn325ci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 325Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtop View Post
You are right, I did install it and all works fine. The radar detector just turns off when the interior lights turn off automatically.

Just connect to the green and red wire next to the cigarette lighter connector behind the carpeted strip on the passenger side. You can hide the rest of the radar detector wire behind that and run it behind the fuse panel cover (under the glove compartment) which now is easier than the E70 because if just has 3 twist latches to undo.

Then run the wire behind the rubber strip running up the side of the door pillar and then the crack between the leather dash and the windscreen vent to the radar detector. Done!
Congrats bigtop. Glad it worked.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 06:48 PM   #16
Definitive
definitivecars.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: Elsa - 2015 F80 M3 - YMB/SS

Garage List
Today I attempted to install the V1 radar detector into my moms at five. It was not successful. I was going to wire it up to an accessory wire up where the lights and sunroof controls are as I have done and every other BMW I have owned. I'm going to try it again with the proper test light as today I only had a voltmeter with short wires and it was very difficult. I am hoping that someone knows which wire up in that area I can use for 12 V accessory power.

Can anyone help?

D
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #17
someguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
I'll answer my own question: The OBD connector is right above the hood release switch near the left toe of the driver (left hand drive vehicle). It is nicely recessed so that with the SAVVY device is well hidden. It works perfectly and adds the function of muting the V1 when you are lower than the dialed in speed. SAVVY link

someguy
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 09:49 AM   #18
bluelodge400
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 X5M-C, '19 Cayenne Turbo

I am having my V1 and Laser Interceptor(Laser Jammer) installed today. I’ll ask them which wire they used to hard wire the V1 and post back tomorrow.

I am having them mount the V1 above the rear-view mirror. It’s much less noticeable during a traffic stop.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 09:53 AM   #19
GoSooners
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5d

Has anyone had success using 3rd party mounts (ie. Blendmount or other) for their V1?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 11:19 PM   #20
mattbar1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 M Sport 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelodge400 View Post
I am having my V1 and Laser Interceptor(Laser Jammer) installed today. I’ll ask them which wire they used to hard wire the V1 and post back tomorrow.

I am having them mount the V1 above the rear-view mirror. It’s much less noticeable during a traffic stop.
I would really appreciate this info...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #21
Definitive
definitivecars.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: Elsa - 2015 F80 M3 - YMB/SS

Garage List
Crickets...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 06:43 PM   #22
bluelodge400
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 X5M-C, '19 Cayenne Turbo

Hey guys, sorry for the late response. I picked up the vehicle Thursday night and left Friday to go to Napa for the weekend. I finally had some time today to take pictures.

The install guys said it was pretty easy to hardwire. They ran the cable along the head liner and down the A pillar.

Located under the passenger foot-well, there is a compartment that pulls down where the fuse panel is located. 3 clips twist and the entire compartment pulls down. (NOTE:You should remove the plastic door trill after you pull out the compartment door. This makes the job a bit easier.)

As you can see from the pictures, they tapped the power from an exhausting 5amp fuse port and used the door frame as a ground.

As for the laser jammer install. They are having a hard time finding a way to run the wires through the firewall. I bring the vehicle back in on Wednesday for the to give it another try. I will write up a DIY for that install.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0