BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-13-2023, 12:10 PM   #45
suitedcboy
Cattlecar
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i MSport

Transfer case. Pulling the fuse will confirm but the first step towards repair is fluid suction and refill with TC calibration reset. If that fixes it then do another fluid suction and refill in a few weeks to get more wear particles out.
Appreciate 1
sukhk5272195.00
      01-20-2023, 03:14 PM   #46
AL3K5
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
It's cheap and easy to replace fluids. It's a shame to burn up a transfer case due to low fluid.
What are the symptoms of a low T case fluid?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 06:00 PM   #47
PatriotBori
Registered
Rep
Drives: X6M F86

Just experienced this as i shared in a front drive shadt post here.

New to the F86 platform which i purchased like 4 months ago and about a month ago it started to jerk as driving and thought it was spark plugs or coils so changed both and issue remained so after weeks of troubleshooting no luck. But follow advice from a post here where somebody mentioned to disconnect fuse #63 and if it is the TC this test will show as it will drive perfect. And did and it drove perfect with no jerking so finally found out my jerking issue was the TC. Took to a BMW dealer to change oil and ISTA calibration, issue fixed.
I still have to replaced the front wheel drive shaft as it is damaged but at least it drives perfect again.

I hope TC remains healthy n dont start giving issues again.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 06:38 PM   #48
iam_tylerbrown
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 M3, '12 Raptor

Thanks for the TC story. Helps with any future troubleshooting.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 12:57 PM   #49
///Motivated
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i, i3

I had some minor shudder which led me to change the TC fluid and recalibrate. Worked perfect. About a year later I bought new tires (Michelin PS4S) in the correct sizes, and immediately upon driving out of the shop the TC had a massive shudder problem... like virtually undriveable. Another fluid change and a recalibration and it was all good again. Fast forward three months and it is back again. I'm wondering if there was some previous damage that makes it more prone to wearing out the fluid. So...

Has anyone gone through with a rebuild? It looks like Rein has a rebuild kit on the wear items for about $800. I might decide to tackle it to get longer life out of the fluid. I'm fine changing it every couple of years or so, but I don't want to do it more often than I change the oil!!!
Appreciate 0