BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-16-2014, 07:41 AM   #1
Jsimon
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, M3, California, 911T

X5 sound system HK vs BO

I loved my wife's x5 so much that I purchased last November, I needed to get one of my own. So I am finalizing the build this week. I would like objective opinions on the B&O sound system. I put the HK in her car and it's a very good sound. I just can't wrap my head on how much more costly it is over the HK and is it worth it and in particular why is it worth it?
Thanks for your opinions.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 08:04 AM   #2
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Many opinions will follow. I suggest you take B&O and make a long term comparable write up for all of us . I took it, no regrets, was a must (for me) along with ceramic controls, both choices over expensive, but worth it for me. Did save on some of the other wishes though which were lower priority. Search on this forum, there is a very good thread on this.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 08:11 AM   #3
Jsimon
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani
Many opinions will follow. I suggest you take B&O and make a long term comparable write up for all of us . I took it, no regrets, was a must (for me) along with ceramic controls, both choices over expensive, but worth it for me. Did save on some of the other wishes though which were lower priority. Search on this forum, there is a very good thread on this.
Thanks. I absolutely see the need of a very high end system in a convertable. I have those systems in my M3, 911T and California, but in an enclosed vehicle seems as though the HK is really good enough. Struggling here, because I always get the best, but I have to be able to justify it to myself.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

^^ Your right the interior size does affect sound reproduction. I think, a comment on another similar thread stated that his HK in F15 sounded better than his B&O on a different model and older year. I think the large interior space within F15 would be plus for any system.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 09:20 AM   #5
bim_power
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Also depends on the quality source of media listening from... Since I do most listening from iphones/thumb drives, the HK system met my needs...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 09:22 AM   #6
Jsimon
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bim_power
Also depends on the quality source of media listening from... Since I do most listening from iphones/thumb drives, the HK system met my needs...
That is where all my media is also played from, iphone.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #7
ictx5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 M sport, 2011 528i

If one does upwards of 90% of their listening on compressed files I think the HK would be more than adequate. If you are a audiophile that listens primarily to non compressed CD source then you WILL tell a difference between the HK and BO. You would probably even notice a difference on compressed material as well just due to the extra horsepower and a more stable/defined low end. Is it worth the extra money? If you have it and it is not an issue then get the B & O. If you are financing the X5 over 60 months a rough estimate would be around $70 per month for the B & O in comparison to the HK.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #8
Jsimon
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ictx5
If one does upwards of 90% of their listening on compressed files I think the HK would be more than adequate. If you are a audiophile that listens primarily to non compressed CD source then you WILL tell a difference between the HK and BO. You would probably even notice a difference on compressed material as well just due to the extra horsepower and a more stable/defined low end. Is it worth the extra money? If you have it and it is not an issue then get the B & O. If you are financing the X5 over 60 months a rough estimate would be around $70 per month for the B & O in comparison to the HK.
Thanks. No financing. For the extra $$ the system just doesn't blow my mind away for sound in a confined cabin. But all my music is on digital download. I just like loud and clear.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 10:35 PM   #9
Michiganian
Private
Rep
Drives: Current:Z4

The quality of the audio source is dispositive for me. After you purchase the B&O system you receive in the mail a voucher for free headphones and a high quality CD designed to showcase the sound system. After hearing it I started loading some of my favorite CDs into the capacious hard drive (200 gig). Quality source material is outstanding when heard through the B&O. Is it worth $4500, I don't know, but I will probably be listening to it more often than my sound system at home.

Tom
      03-16-2014, 10:42 PM   #10
Jsimon
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiganian
The quality of the audio source is dispositive for me. After you purchase the B&O system you receive in the mail a voucher for free headphones and a high quality CD designed to showcase the sound system. After hearing it I started loading some of my favorite CDs into the capacious hard drive (200 gig). Quality source material is outstanding when heard through the B&O. Is it worth $4500, I don't know, but I will probably be listening to it more often than my sound system at home.

Tom
It appears that while the quality is better, public opinion seems to acknowledge it is probably not worth the cost. I guess from my perspective, since I'm in 3 other cars from April to November, the HK with the L7 surround as in my wife's x5 is justifiable for my x5 as well. Drove hers today, I really like the sound.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 10:50 PM   #11
JLCinNYC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 650ic, X5 50i, '90 560SEL

I ticked most boxes on the list but skipped the B&O and after spending the weekend with the HK, it's not just "good enough" it's fantastic. The wattage is great and the sound quality is phenomenal. Take the HK above the base system but don't shell out nearly $4k for metal speakers and a pop up dash one. My two cents...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 10:52 PM   #12
Jsimon
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLCinNYC
I ticked most boxes on the list but skipped the B&O and after spending the weekend with the HK, it's not just "good enough" it's fantastic. The wattage is great and the sound quality is phenomenal. Take the HK above the base system but don't shell out nearly $4k for metal speakers and a pop up dash one. My two cents...
That's my conclusion after seeing the responses today. Going to use the 5k and buy another set of 20" rims with winter tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 05:43 AM   #13
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Smart decision safety first when prioritizing.
Appreciate 0