BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-28-2023, 04:59 PM   #1
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Question about (Speed Limit Info) SLI retrofit

I have done numerous search on this but I cannot find a definite answer on this topic.

I don't have any camera behind my rear view mirror but I have HUD. Is it possible to retrofit SLI using FSC code only (since it would take speed limit info from Navigation maps)? OR a sort of Camera (whether Kafas2 or HBA) is required with FSC code to retrofit?

Most of sites who sell FSC codes, say it is required to have Kafas2 camera or otherwise it wont work but someone on here managed to get it working with no camera based option.

Anyone have knowledge on this? I hate to pay for FSC code when it wont work for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 06:37 PM   #2
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

You need kafas2, SLI is a combination of speed data stored in the navigation maps combined with the camera recognition of the road signs.

Camera-based driver assistance systems.pdf

FSC just enables the functionality.
      01-24-2024, 12:38 AM   #3
epontes01
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 35i  [0.00]
I recently did this on mine. You will need an SLI emulator, I opted for the $20 emulator off AliExpress and it works great! the only downside to the one I bought is the symbols look like the EU circular red speed limit as opposed to the white signs in the US. I did not retrofit KAFAS, simply plug, code and play. very few times does the road not display speed limit and ive only found it to be incorrect on one road in my journeys.

This emulator simply plugs into the harness going into the Instrument cluster then the emulator plugs into the harness port of the IC. Then coding as usual for all installs on these cars. just beware the 6WA IC is an absolute PITA to remove.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 08:07 AM   #4
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

your solution is just using map data. If you are in any area where the speed limits have changed since the map data was published, the camera recognizes the signs and that is used.
In Toronto where there are numerous and frequent speed limit changes, your solution would be inaccurate without the camera
      01-24-2024, 08:48 AM   #5
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by epontes01 View Post
I recently did this on mine. You will need an SLI emulator, I opted for the $20 emulator off AliExpress and it works great! the only downside to the one I bought is the symbols look like the EU circular red speed limit as opposed to the white signs in the US. I did not retrofit KAFAS, simply plug, code and play. very few times does the road not display speed limit and ive only found it to be incorrect on one road in my journeys.

This emulator simply plugs into the harness going into the Instrument cluster then the emulator plugs into the harness port of the IC. Then coding as usual for all installs on these cars. just beware the 6WA IC is an absolute PITA to remove.
Any tricks for removing the IC ? This is what stoping me from doing this DIY
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 11:28 AM   #6
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda View Post
Any tricks for removing the IC ? This is what stoping me from doing this DIY
If by IC you mean instrument cluster it is super easy to remove, doesn't matter which version do you have, this is 5 minutes or less job. Remove the plastic trim and pull clips down with two L shaped hooks. Check this thread out:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1039855
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 01:37 PM   #7
lemonslap
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Sorry for the thread hijack,
I have the KAFAS camera, however no speed information on my hud. Is this easy to enable? I have bimmercode, but can’t see an option to code it
Appreciate 0