BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-19-2016, 12:25 PM   #1
knepsterd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 BSM

Autonomous cars and fiture

Lots of data show that adults 18-34 today have less interest in owning cars let alone using it as a status symbol. Most millennials are growing up numb to another collar on their financial debt neck and are adopting the new Ubėr society. Ubėr Lyft Zipcar...this is reality for this age group.
Many want the ability to get from point a to point b without hassle.
The drive myself felling is fast fleeing and corporations globally are quickly scrambling to get on the self driving wagon.
Seems like all auto companies and tech companies and other non suspecting corporations are throwing their hats into the ring. Driving for this age group isn't the same for them as their parents. It's not a pleasure but a burden, especially in congested urban areas.

One luxury and sport heritage brand Porsche is spurning the opportunity to jump into the fray. Thoughts?
Will Porche sunset into the past. Certainly gt3 making for the enthusiast are NOT going to keep the lights on.
Most people buy Porsce today as a status and mainstream are Macans and Cayennes.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 12:42 PM   #2
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I drive to Houston and Dallas quite a bit for work when I have to visit customers in Texas. Houston isn't so bad, but Dallas kills me. Flying doesn't make sense for me, but they have this new bus service that is decked out like a first class cabin. Looks impressive so far! I'd much rather take that, have someone else drive, work a bit, kick back and take a nap rather than driving.

I've been using Uber for three years, but as they keep dropping the rates for the drivers, I don't see this model working long term. Every single driver I speak to is complaining on how they used to make money doing it, but those days are gone. Too many drivers, and too little money to be made per trip. Something will need to change.

Is Uber cheaper than having a car? Doubtful. If you are just looking to get from A to B, you can lease or finance a Golf or a Fiat 500. Even with fuel and insurance, you'll probably come ahead and enjoy additional flexibility.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 12:47 PM   #3
UnhappySwede
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 -2016

Alot of stuff young people dont do anymore. Work, drive cars, have children etc. Everything is postponed and statistics show it happened quickly and dramatically within one generation. Here in Sweden, young people today struggle with the cost of living and cars are not on their mind. I graduated high school 10 years ago and from the 30 of us in my class, I think some 5 or so own a car. 28 are childless.

When I practice basketball with a bunch of 30-40 year olds, just three of us arrive with car.

I dont for a second believe self-driving cars will push this cultural development in any direction. People make it sound like they are just around the corner, but from my point of view development is at a standstill. They can only make them barely drive in a straight line on the highway. The hard challanges are ahead and not behind.
Appreciate 0