BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

08-20-2016, 08:22 AM   #45
Diper
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 3.0d

In choosing a happy medium between glas that is rock hard but will create a big crack when hit by stone or a softer glass that will chip away a choice has been made by the manufacturer.
I guess there will be huge differences between operating conditions between middle Swede and Southern Florida, but BMW will probably focus on the bigger markershare.

Please consider restoring a good relationship with BMW Sweden. Live is too short to drink lousy wine or feel mistreated.

Where I live a BMW X5 is not a rare sight but you do not stumble across one at each corner. I just returned from Oslo and I have never seen so many in just 1 street. Felt like I drove a Toyota Camry , but even when a dealer has quite a monopoly in your neighbourhood, they will have to listen to BMW Sweden.

While driving Home from Norway I saw a broken down new XC90 on the German highway. Just to say shit will happen.
Appreciate 1
Baunton318.00
      08-20-2016, 10:19 AM   #46
IvanLZ
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quick update since my last post. 20,000 miles and still no problems so far. I still believe you got a very unlucky car.
Appreciate 1
Baunton318.00
      02-15-2017, 11:29 AM   #47
UnhappySwede
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 -2016

I wrote about the EGR valve that failed after just 6 months, worrying that it would sooth up and fail again after another 6 months.

And here we are some 6 months later, with "Drivetrain Failure" popping up frequently again. By now, it was also recalled for a faulty EGR radiator and my Engine was recently fixed for all of these issues.

However, my thermostat not working properly remains unsolved as they cant locate the issue. I hoped this had something to do with the recall but it did not.

The EGR reparations also didnt do the trick and I keep getting "Drivetrain Failure". So I still have at least two unsolved, unrelated engine failures on this machine, after a 13 month ownership.

When I wrote this thread I was just very angry. By now, driving the car to the mechanics have become a part of my everyday life. I meet the guys more often than my parents. Luckily our intimacy is still covered by the warranty, but I can't see this going on once it expires. At least not if I want to feed myself along the way.

The sad part is that Im really starting to love the car and that there is really no competition on the (Swedish) market for it. Just the multi contour seats alone are way ahead of the competition.

On the bright side, the windshield is doing much better than before. Last winter, it was more or less shattered, now I only have 6-7 big chips in it so far.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 12:11 PM   #48
turboawd
Banned
Rep

lot of egr issues? maybe you just need to drive it harder to clean out that carbon soot!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 12:35 PM   #49
UnhappySwede
Private First Class
Rep

I drove 50 000 kilometers over a year but I still try to do this now and then. I shifted down to the 6th gear on a nightly highway cruise, driving some 90 miles per hour on high Engine revs. What happend was that Engine oil temperature dropped almost to 40C. Wtf?

I geared up and drove it more gently, temperature rose up again, I shifted down and it got colder again when it should actually become hotter. I did the procedure a third time and then the Engine temperature needle stayed at 12 o Clock, regardless of gear and speed.

So my thermostat lives a life on it's own too. Sometimes I have to drive it really hard for 30 miles to even get the temperature up, and now that same behaviour cased it to drop instead.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 12:58 PM   #50
turboawd
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnhappySwede View Post
I drove 50 000 kilometers over a year but I still try to do this now and then. I shifted down to the 6th gear on a nightly highway cruise, driving some 90 miles per hour on high Engine revs. What happend was that Engine oil temperature dropped almost to 40C. Wtf?

I geared up and drove it more gently, temperature rose up again, I shifted down and it got colder again when it should actually become hotter. I did the procedure a third time and then the Engine temperature needle stayed at 12 o Clock, regardless of gear and speed.

So my thermostat lives a life on it's own too. Sometimes I have to drive it really hard for 30 miles to even get the temperature up, and now that same behaviour cased it to drop instead.
well higher revs doesnt doesnt necessarily make the engine hotter. the engine needs a load on it to get hotter.
and diesels by nature run cooler. i have a duramax diesel truck and it takes a half hour of driving to get some heat out of the thing, below freezing. lol
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 01:21 PM   #51
UnhappySwede
Private First Class
Rep

Yea sure diesels take longer to warm up but I can commute two days in a row to work with the same weather outside -

one day the temperature could hit about 100C within a few miles. The next day, I could still be at 60C after 20 miles (30 km) of rough driving.

Cool, soothy exhaust gases could sooth up the EGR but the valve failed at about the same time as I started noticing fluctating temperatures. So it shouldn't have mattered, and some mechanics also claim this is unrelated.

But yes, too low Engine temperatues do indeed cause lot of trouble and especially in a diesel engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 05:35 PM   #52
pagan
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 sDrive25d M Sport

Hi,

I received a notice today from BMW saying that I might have a defective EGR and asking me to take the car to the shop so they can take a look and do some programming and maybe replace it. I have the same engine as you (25d), did you notice any improvement in diesel consumption after they changed yours? I'm getting 10l/100km from mostly city driving in short 10km commutes and driving it gently in comfort mode. This is almost what I was getting with my old 2004 530d touring.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 12:37 AM   #53
UnhappySwede
Private First Class
Rep

Hmm no I dont think it made any difference to the consumption. 10l is probably normal if you only drive city traffic with cold engines, especially if you have big runflats on.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 07:20 AM   #54
UnhappySwede
Private First Class
Rep

Oh lord. The recalls just keep pouring in for the EGR-system but nothing helps. They are replacing radiators, software, valves but the "drivetrain malfunction" just keep coming up and partly shutting down the car when Im in traffic. And then there's the heating problem aswell.

"Huge disappointment", "very sad" as mr T would say. I wish we had a Lemon Law over here in Sweden now. I'm going to look into having BMW to buy back this vehicle, but it wont happend. There was another guy in Sweden who's brand new 4-series self ignited and burned up, and BMW wouldn't compensate him for months until media started Writing about the story.

What other car offers the same interior space and seating comfort? Only Volvo XC90 but that wont help me in terms of reliability...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 07:56 AM   #55
IvanLZ
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Oh lord. The recalls just keep pouring in for the EGR-system but nothing helps. They are replacing radiators, software, valves but the "drivetrain malfunction" just keep coming up and partly shutting down the car when Im in traffic. And then there's the heating problem aswell.

"Huge disappointment", "very sad" as mr T would say. I wish we had a Lemon Law over here in Sweden now. I'm going to look into having BMW to buy back this vehicle, but it wont happend. There was another guy in Sweden who's brand new 4-series self ignited and burned up, and BMW wouldn't compensate him for months until media started Writing about the story.

What other car offers the same interior space and seating comfort? Only Volvo XC90 but that wont help me in terms of reliability...
Unfortunate about your vehicle. Maybe look into a cayenne or q7?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 06:27 PM   #56
darrvao777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:

There you go. Plenty of interior space, comfortably seats 8, reliable as can be. You can almost get two base models for the price of one X5 so in the event the first one is a lemon, you've still got a 2nd chance to make it right. That should put an end to the bellyaching.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 06:39 PM   #57
Thawke
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i XDrive

Just wanted to mention in this thread that I feel bad for you with having such bad luck with the car and would not wish that on anyone, so am truly sorry, but.....

One bad car does not make the entire range / brand / lineup unreliable to the point of no one should buy it.

I know several people personally that have had X5s for the last few years and not a single issue out of any of them.

You may have got a "Friday Build" maybe....

Ordered: 2024 BMW M240i XDrive
Current: 2020 BMW X6 Xdrive40i M Sport
Previous: 2020 Porsche Cayman S
Previous: 2017 BMW X6 Xdrive40d M Sport
Appreciate 1
Baunton318.00
      02-27-2017, 11:20 AM   #58
UnhappySwede
Private First Class
Rep

Yea but what bothers me is that when I talk to other BMW-owners they too experienced EGR-issues regardless of the car being made in 2010 or 2014. So one would think that they would have it resolved by then but no.

Anyways, this car is dying. Today I got the "drivetrain malfunction" again on a busy highway and the car started shake violently just dropped dead. No reduced thrust as usual, it just died on me. So I had to turn the car off and on in the middle of a lane with traffic barely avoiding me, and restart it.

By now I had it. I cant deal with these kinds of stuff and Always wait weeks or months for someone to fix it.

So I went to my dealer, explained the problem and said I demanded a buy-back, but that I want to be reasonable about it and possibly trade it in for a similar car with another engine. They were however not at all interested in this but offered to trade it in and sell me Another car just as a regular sale. If I had an issue with that I was said to contact the general agent.

So I did that too and they told me that only my dealer could help me. I replied that my dealer didn't want to do so but they didnt care at all. So I paid premium money and got a budget product and bugdet service. And the crazy part is that Im considering to buy this car again due to serious lack of competition.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 12:13 PM   #59
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M Azurite on Nutmeg

Maybe its time to move to a petrol engine? ... or step up to the 30d - a 2-litre 4 banger oil burner in a 5200 pound car is a little weird to me - just saying :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 12:19 PM   #60
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
lot of egr issues? maybe you just need to drive it harder to clean out that carbon soot!
this has never been proven to solve the issues with diesel EGRs. It's about driving longer distances.

It appears OP drives his car pretty frequently, though, through my E70 35d ownership, I learned that it's also not about how frequently you drive, it's about the distance too. The car's emissions equipment will be better if you do a longer trips.
      02-27-2017, 01:04 PM   #61
UnhappySwede
Private First Class
Rep

I drive my cars long and hard, and it's not about the weight of the car either as they have the same issues in the X1 25d.

I believe it has something to do with taking too much power out of the engines regardless of size, which also is why BMW had all these injector issues on both diesel and gasoline cars.

BMW Always have the best specs for fuel consumption and Engine Power, and I believe they achieve this by disregarding the reliability in terms of too high injector pressure or incomplete/uneven fuel combustion. It's not that Toyota have no clue how to make strong and efficent Engine in their Land Cruiser, they just chose to make them last instead.

I seen this same thing working with heavy trucks. Engines are just becoming worse and worse (and actually the rest of the trucks aswell, Electronics...). While they put up nice consumption numbers nowadays, this is achieved by high pressure injecting and low resistance (moving) gaskets which let oil through. So while we save Money on gas, we spend it twofold on constantly filling up oil and replacing injectors.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 05:34 PM   #62
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: V8

Again, it's really unfortunate that you ended up with what I'd like to believe a bad production car. You seem to really enjoy the car and go on long trips and whatnot, but the shit issues are definitely a downer. Over here in the states, we would immediately classify it as a lemon. I wish your dealership was more accommodating to your situation.

Quote:
I drive my cars long and hard, and it's not about the weight of the car either as they have the same issues in the X1 25d.

I believe it has something to do with taking too much power out of the engines regardless of size, which also is why BMW had all these injector issues on both diesel and gasoline cars.

BMW Always have the best specs for fuel consumption and Engine Power, and I believe they achieve this by disregarding the reliability in terms of too high injector pressure or incomplete/uneven fuel combustion. It's not that Toyota have no clue how to make strong and efficent Engine in their Land Cruiser, they just chose to make them last instead.

I seen this same thing working with heavy trucks. Engines are just becoming worse and worse (and actually the rest of the trucks aswell, Electronics...). While they put up nice consumption numbers nowadays, this is achieved by high pressure injecting and low resistance (moving) gaskets which let oil through. So while we save Money on gas, we spend it twofold on constantly filling up oil and replacing injectors.
      02-27-2017, 06:42 PM   #63
BimmerGuyFL78
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G30 540i

Quote:
I wrote about the EGR valve that failed after just 6 months, worrying that it would sooth up and fail again after another 6 months.

And here we are some 6 months later, with "Drivetrain Failure" popping up frequently again. By now, it was also recalled for a faulty EGR radiator and my Engine was recently fixed for all of these issues.

However, my thermostat not working properly remains unsolved as they cant locate the issue. I hoped this had something to do with the recall but it did not.

The EGR reparations also didnt do the trick and I keep getting "Drivetrain Failure". So I still have at least two unsolved, unrelated engine failures on this machine, after a 13 month ownership.

When I wrote this thread I was just very angry. By now, driving the car to the mechanics have become a part of my everyday life. I meet the guys more often than my parents. Luckily our intimacy is still covered by the warranty, but I can't see this going on once it expires. At least not if I want to feed myself along the way.

The sad part is that Im really starting to love the car and that there is really no competition on the (Swedish) market for it. Just the multi contour seats alone are way ahead of the competition.

On the bright side, the windshield is doing much better than before. Last winter, it was more or less shattered, now I only have 6-7 big chips in it so far.
What's EGR stand for?
      02-27-2017, 08:25 PM   #64
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine535Msport View Post
What's EGR stand for?
Exhaust Gas Recirculation

Something to do with nitrogen oxide in diesel engines so the exhaust is "cleaner."