BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

07-10-2016, 01:31 PM   #23
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: V8

The windshield glass is a joke, definitely. I realized the other day when I was driving facing the sunset and couldn't believe my eyes. Just tiny specks all over the windshield. At least I'm thankful nothing has shattered or cracked, but this is not acceptable; my '05 Toyota minivan windshield is still spotless.
      07-10-2016, 04:18 PM   #24
coolidge
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive 35i

A few days before I took delivery of my X5 the local village idiots aka our county road crew sprayed hot tar on bad sections of my road then dumped jagged sharp gravel over the top, their cheap ass version of paving a road. Of course there's a 5x5 foot patch of this right in front of my driveway and I have tar covered gravel all over my drive and garage.

Well driving through a section of this last week some fool coming the opposite direction doesn't have the sense to slow down and her car is shooting tar covered gravel all over the freaking place and I took one square in the windshield pow...thankfully no damage. I'm being careful not to be following these gravel cannons too closely and so far so good.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17427.50
      07-10-2016, 05:06 PM   #25
charlietangobravo
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M50d

Totally agree on the windshield issue. I´ve never had a more fragile windscreen than the F15. Drives me crazy.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 02:38 PM   #26
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

Just got my first stone chip on the F15 (has 76K on the odometer). Compared to previous vehicles, owned many...this one seems the same, if not better? I log a lot of highway miles, and have seen/heard some pretty big stones bounce off the windshield...barely leaving a mark.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 03:09 PM   #27
copello
Private
France
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15 X5 40e

Could the fragile windshield issue be related to HUD specific windshield glass. I already replaced my windshield once for a large stone chip - first time this ever happened to me... - and indeed I have the HUD option...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 10:26 AM   #28
BXdriver
Four stripes vehicle commander
Norway
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X5 45e

Exactly two years old our car now, and it just works.
I might ramble now and then about some quirks, sounds etc, but the car itself has been 100% reliable.
One time I got the "drive train malfunction" message, but it disappeared after a restart and never seen again.
My windshield is pretty much like new so far, and I had cars that I had to change it even before two years had gone by.
BUT, no one can predict flying stones or gravel from passing cars etc., and how long the windshield last can be completely like a game, no one knows if you're (un)lucky on the next trip.

Best
Bent
Appreciate 2
MarineOh3113.00
      07-14-2016, 11:34 AM   #29
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Does BMW still do two suppliers for their glass a la Pilkington vs Saint-Gobain? I remember in the past, the latter was much harder and durable. I made specific effort to find Saint-Gobain glass for my E70.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 02:08 PM   #30
UnhappySwede
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 -2016

This experience is just getting more and more premium. After trying to get to the "big" repair shop at the dealer where I bought my car, which also is Stockholm's biggest one, but Always having to leave because of the masses of people with broken BMWs, I finally found time to wait through the whole line. So I told them

-Hi I have a problem with a broken thermostat
-Oh yeah, is that right? How do you know its the thermostat?
-Well the Engine is running Cold all the time so...
-It could be a software issue aswell.
-Yes sure whatever, but...
-And we have no shop times until sometime in september (!).
-So Im supposed to run the Engine Cold until then?
-Yea, but just use it locally. Don't go places with it.

Great premium feel in both product and service! So, what I know now is that

-You will drive with broken glass during winters in urban areas on the nothern hemisphere, until it makes sense replacing the glass in spring.
-You will be without your car if it breaks down during summertime in these areas because there are too many other broken BMWs.

So it appears that october is the best month for driving a BMW around here - you are still driving around in your newly replaced windshield before the gravel gets out on the roads. And you don't have to fear an engine breakdown throughout the whole month - as there might actually be help to get if it happens. Can't wait 'til october.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 02:29 PM   #31
cretanu
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M 5.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnhappySwede View Post
This experience is just getting more and more premium. After trying to get to the "big" repair shop at the dealer where I bought my car, which also is Stockholm's biggest one, but Always having to leave because of the masses of people with broken BMWs, I finally found time to wait through the whole line. So I told them

-You will drive with broken glass during winters in urban areas on the nothern hemisphere, until it makes sense replacing the glass in spring.
-You will be without your car if it breaks down during summertime in these areas because there are too many other broken BMWs.

So it appears that october is the best month for driving a BMW around here - you are still driving around in your newly replaced windshield before the gravel gets out on the roads. And you don't have to fear an engine breakdown throughout the whole month - as there might actually be help to get if it happens. Can't wait 'til october.
Are you sure you are not at the hidden camera???😂😂😂
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 03:40 PM   #32
IvanLZ
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:

Maybe its just in Sweden. At least here in Canada, service is very fast and friendly when approached. Then again i haven't witnessed these much problems coming from an X5. This is based off on my uncle's '14 and my '15 X5. They both been in perfect condition after 30000km except for the windshields.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 02:51 AM   #33
UnhappySwede
Private First Class
Rep

Wow great. Local shop reopened after vacation but they wont take it in. Doesnt matter if the car wont get warm anymore - if the engine failure light isnt on, then nothing is broken.

A lifetime warranty wouldnt help me with this piece of junk. I've got other things to do than driving around to different repair shops and beg them on my knees to repair my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 12:52 AM   #34
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Wow great. Local shop reopened after vacation but they wont take it in. Doesnt matter if the car wont get warm anymore - if the engine failure light isnt on, then nothing is broken.

A lifetime warranty wouldnt help me with this piece of junk. I've got other things to do than driving around to different repair shops and beg them on my knees to repair my car.
If you dislike the car so much GET RID OF IT!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 05:44 AM   #35
UnhappySwede
Private First Class
Rep

I cant get rid of it without paying huge fees for cancelling the lease too early. But if this nonsense keeps going on, I will do so either way.

There's plenty of buyers even in this segment who worry about costs and reliability. Others just live too far away from repair shops to make it a daily stop.

And they deserve to know about the current build quality of this vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 01:42 PM   #36
BillK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 11 M3, 15 X5d, 20 X2

We are at 32,000 miles on an Aug 2014 build date X5d with not one single issue. We love ours
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 08:51 PM   #37
artem123
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30

I think we need to stop feeding this thread. It is the best for stopping the trolling.

Last edited by artem123; 08-15-2016 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 1
Baunton318.00
      08-14-2016, 08:55 PM   #38
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

This guy is on something!

I love my X5M ... Hands Down Best Car I've ever driven ... don't know what kind of lemon this guy got, but just get rid of it already and get a new one and be happy!
Appreciate 1
Baunton318.00
      08-16-2016, 10:56 PM   #39
Devilzmantis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 991 Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
If you dislike the car so much GET RID OF IT!
Yup get rid of it. Complain to BMW Headquarters. Isn't there a Lemon Law in your country? Work something out with your dealer to trade it in or just go on with another make. Not worth all the problems, I think you just lucked out on this one.

SOLD-2015 BMW M4 Convertible
,2006 Porsche 911,2011 BMW Z4,2001 BMW 330ci
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 03:12 AM   #40
MarineOh3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 / 2016 F15

It's threads like this that convince me that people just love to complain. You took your car to the dealership because it was running fine but wasn't getting hot enough? But yet you have more important things to do with your time? I would argue that perhaps you should find even more important things to do with your time.
      08-17-2016, 03:48 AM   #41
UnhappySwede
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineOh3 View Post
It's threads like this that convince me that people just love to complain. You took your car to the dealership because it was running fine but wasn't getting hot enough? But yet you have more important things to do with your time? I would argue that perhaps you should find even more important things to do with your time.
What, are you kidding me? A diesel engine MUST run at maximum working temperature, or else you're clogging up and destroying the EGR system, the SCR system and the particle filter. And the EGR already failed once, now the new valve is probably half way clogged up aswell since I havent found anyone who wants to fix this for months.

Yet I dont consider myself unlucky. The guys in the other thread replacing their new N55 engines are unlucky. Or the guys that will have to do the same thing after the warranty expires.

Then there's the small things...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 08:12 AM   #42
tnikolov
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40d,Porsche 911 Turbo S

Quote:
Yet I dont consider myself unlucky. The guys in the other thread replacing their new N55 engines are unlucky. Or the guys that will have to do the same thing after the warranty expires.
I've had engine troubles after warranty expired. It was an N63 Engine, not an N55. But BMW changed it for brand new even when my F10 550i was 5 and a half years old. I myself am very happy with how BMW treats their customers. And as somebody said in an earlier post - an open letter to BMW Germany might save you a lot of troubles.

Now to the point - I've had my 50i F15 for almost 3 years now. Mine is one of the first ever produced F15s. I've had troubles - sure. But nothing ever serious to stop me from my trip or from driving my car. In fact - the most serious issue ever happened was with the actuators of the front doors (mine are with soft close). I knew they were problematic even before my car arrived, because I read it here in the forum. Once that was done the only thing ever happened was my Night Vision got unplugged by itself - once. By my standards this is a freakin' reliable truck. Probably the most reliable I've ever owned. So I can't miss the fact to ask - may be the particular 25d model is what is not reliable? I for one myself have not seen a 25d here in my country. I don't think they even sell it here, the lowest you can buy is 30d which is not a four banger but a flat six.

And because you mentioned a Land Cruiser - I had the current Land Cruiser before the F15. It got stolen and hence why I bought this truck. I did have serious issues with the Cruiser. By all standards it was reliable, but it had constant problems with its adaptive dampers. Every other week the software would get reset and it would start roll over on any turn like a 30 year old SUV. It was a nightmare to drive.
Retired - 2011 F10 550i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 08:50 AM   #43
UnhappySwede
Private First Class
Rep

I dont think one can say that a car is reliable when it is younger than 3 years of age. Year 3-10 would probably matter more, which is what really worries me as the onset was so early.

The 25d, 2 litre engine might be less reliable but while unusual in F15, it is their most sold engine overall in Europe. What annoys me is that I can see online that BMW had these problems for many years but refuse to deal with it.

This is why I dont bother contacting BMW. They already know they put in weak glass everywhere in the car, they are probably handing out bonuses to themselves on the money saved. They already know that engine trouble is common but probably decided they want to keep making money on this too. And they already know all of our opinion on the runflats, but did they listen?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 08:02 AM   #44
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

still going ... nobody agrees with you, so give up and just do what this guy did:

Just try not to look like as big of a pussy as he does when you smash it to pieces with an axe!

Appreciate 0