BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-14-2021, 10:47 AM   #45
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Part will be here tomorrow fellas. Looking to get it installed on wed. I'll keep you udpated.
Appreciate 2
tlow982188.00
      06-18-2021, 11:05 PM   #46
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M302_imola View Post
Part will be here tomorrow fellas. Looking to get it installed on wed. I'll keep you udpated.
Any luck M302? I'm pulling for ya!

(and I'm also ordering parts, so yeah, I know the pain)

It's a real bummer that Bilstein B4s for the front of this car are looking like unobtainium... I really don't want to tear into this until I can do it all in one go.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 10:36 AM   #47
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Any luck M302? I'm pulling for ya!

(and I'm also ordering parts, so yeah, I know the pain)

It's a real bummer that Bilstein B4s for the front of this car are looking like unobtainium... I really don't want to tear into this until I can do it all in one go.
Thanks bud! My mechanic was covered up last week and I was out of town the later part of the week as well. Dropping the car off tomorrow morn and by tomorrow evening I hope I have good news to report. Best of luck with your car as well!
Appreciate 1
tlow982188.00
      06-22-2021, 07:58 PM   #48
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' X7 40i M Sport

Garage List
Had my lower control arms replaced today and all of my problems are solved. I am so fired up. ALL of the creaking is gone and she's driving rock solid. I am confident this will be the solution you are looking for M302_imola !!!
      06-22-2021, 08:19 PM   #49
tlow98
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic_erik View Post
Had my lower control arms replaced today and all of my problems are solved. I am so fired up. ALL of the creaking is gone and she's driving rock solid. I am confident this will be the solution you are looking for M302_imola !!!
Nice, excited to do the same. Thanks for the follow up, Erik.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2021, 07:03 AM   #50
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Very nice Eric! If I remember correctly the company was replacing your fairly new installed FCA's with a revised version correct?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 07:17 AM   #51
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Very nice Eric! If I remember correctly the company was replacing your fairly new installed FCA's with a revised version correct?
The KMAC adjustable bushings we pressed into my stock lower front control arms last year failed. Given my truck had 50k miles and the older ball joint design on the original arms, I decided to replace the whole arm and skip the KMAC adjustable bushings. I installed part numbers 31126864821 and 31126864822.
      06-24-2021, 08:34 AM   #52
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

Anyone ever done x5m control arms? Im wondering if there are any differences.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 09:21 AM   #53
tlow98
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMWNashville View Post
Anyone ever done x5m control arms? Im wondering if there are any differences.
Non M
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=31_1059

M
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=31_1173

According to RealOEM the part numbers are different. Personally, I wanted something that would not change the NVH. I don't know that this would actually change the NVH, but on other BMW platforms with this bushing swap it does change the NVH.

Certainly a good option as long as the king pins are the same and it fits. Although, you could always just swap the bushing if the kingpin doesn't work. This bushing is a similar style to all other M bushing in this location. It's a cut casing style bushing that needs different install tools than the non-M style bushing. Slightly more challenging for a DIY'r, but by no means impossible.

Non-M part cost $120 for Lemforder

M part cost $380 OE BMW - no Lemforder option

So, certainly more dear.

Last edited by tlow98; 06-24-2021 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 12:07 PM   #54
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Guys, I'm happy to report that the new passenger front rearward control arm (#13 on diagram) did fix my creaking sound issue. The front suspension is now noise free and the car feels way more planted. I've noticed even braking has improved and the car no longer wonders side to side at highway speeds. I however have still been able to trigger the traction control light on hard cornering but it's not near as sensitive. I replaced my rear tires about 5K miles ago and now the fronts need replacement so this might be the cause I'll replace them soon and we'll see. Anyhow, appreciate everyone that contributed to this thread. Diagnosing this FCA has been one of the tougher and most expensive things I've done. I now feel confident when/if the drivers side acts up I'll know the score.
Appreciate 4
tlow982188.00
P111572.00
      06-24-2021, 12:13 PM   #55
parthpatel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M Sport

Quote:
Guys, I'm happy to report that the new passenger front rearward control arm (#13 on diagram) did fix my creaking sound issue. The front suspension is now noise free and the car feels way more planted. I've noticed even braking has improved and the car no longer wonders side to side at highway speeds. I however have still been able to trigger the traction control light on hard cornering but it's not near as sensitive. I replaced my rear tires about 5K miles ago and now the fronts need replacement so this might be the cause I'll replace them soon and we'll see. Anyhow, appreciate everyone that contributed to this thread. Diagnosing this FCA has been one of the tougher and most expensive things I've done. I now feel confident when/if the drivers side acts up I'll know the score.
Great to hear!!
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2021, 12:50 PM   #56
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 F15

Quote:
Always best to go to new set every time.
I know staggered sets waste a lot of "good" rubber, but X drive is very sensitive, so it saves you a lot of hassle. -You get what you paid for!
I had to throw away my 6/32nd rears because fronts were toast.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2021, 01:18 PM   #57
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 MSport

Quote:
Sounds exactly like this! Turn the volume up as it's fairly subtle in this video. Except my sound is coming from passenger front, not driver's side.

I love Meyle but I couldn't find the (#13) arm in that brand. I also considered the Lemforder one. Fyi, #13 ended up being the culprit for the sound in the video above.

I've literally changed every bushing/arm on the passenger front at this point except #13.

I thought it was the struts or strut mounts like mentioned but the coilovers did fix that so can't be my issue. I've already replaced the tension strut on the passenger side.
I am experience the same exact thing. At my last service trip, BMW Dealership said my driver side thrust arm bushing was going so I should change it. I decided to get both done by an independent shop in hopes it would remove the noise but I am still hearing it. I don't want to get to the point that I put in so much money like you did to find that it did not resolve anything.
2011 BMW 550i M-Sport (Jet Black/Cinnamon Brown) - 4/30/14 | 2007 BMW 328xi e92 (Jet Black/Coral Red) - PAST | 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (Ivory White/Stone) - PAST | 2005 Acura TSX (Obsidian Black/Black) - PAST
| 1998 Acura Integra (Black/Black) - PAST
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 01:24 PM   #58
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Awesome! We are 2 for 2!
      06-24-2021, 02:46 PM   #59
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 MSport

Quote:
Awesome! We are 2 for 2!
Crap, i should have just had it replaced but was convinced to just change the bushing. I wonder if my shop will credit me the labor...
2011 BMW 550i M-Sport (Jet Black/Cinnamon Brown) - 4/30/14 | 2007 BMW 328xi e92 (Jet Black/Coral Red) - PAST | 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (Ivory White/Stone) - PAST | 2005 Acura TSX (Obsidian Black/Black) - PAST
| 1998 Acura Integra (Black/Black) - PAST
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 04:46 PM   #60
ballen09
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5, 2018 BMW 430i

Quote:
I am having the exact same issue but coming from my drivers side.

I noticed last night the bushings on my sway bar links are torn and exposing the grease so I ordered a set of those off FCP Euro.

I'm just like you and very OCD about my car, so this is consuming me. I took my GoPro and filmed me driving at low speeds to try and pinpoint the noise. Attaching the YouTube link here. Noise is happening at 5-8 seconds in the video. It is identical in the interior of the X5 sound in the YouTube video you posted before.

I found information on a BMW service bulletin (SI B31 03 17) that the front lower control arms/wishbones (#13) fail due to "the ball joints of the front suspension wishbones are insufficiently lubricated". If you have part number 04 or lower it is defective. 05 and newer is good. Mine are 02. For reference, my X5 was manufactured October 2014 and I have 93,000 miles. Attaching the service bulletin here too.

I'm ordering the control arms here shortly (stressed af lol). It seems to be a job that is DIY so I'll report back how the job goes. They are $195 each on FCP Euro for the OE Lemförder brand.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
tlow982188.00
      06-24-2021, 06:33 PM   #61
tlow98
Major General
Rep

Great info. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 07:30 PM   #62
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by menelaos View Post
Always best to go to new set every time.
I know staggered sets waste a lot of "good" rubber, but X drive is very sensitive, so it saves you a lot of hassle. -You get what you paid for!
I had to throw away my 6/32nd rears because fronts were toast.
What negatives were you experiencing w/ the worn tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualbong View Post
I am experience the same exact thing. At my last service trip, BMW Dealership said my driver side thrust arm bushing was going so I should change it. I decided to get both done by an independent shop in hopes it would remove the noise but I am still hearing it. I don't want to get to the point that I put in so much money like you did to find that it did not resolve anything.
So you had just the bushing replaced? I started off w/ this route on the large bushing on #8. It obviously didn't fix my issue. Such a pain in the ass pushing those bushings out and new one back in. Not worth the money savings. Did the dealership replace both FCA's #8 & #13?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen09 View Post
I am having the exact same issue but coming from my drivers side.

I noticed last night the bushings on my sway bar links are torn and exposing the grease so I ordered a set of those off FCP Euro.

I'm just like you and very OCD about my car, so this is consuming me. I took my GoPro and filmed me driving at low speeds to try and pinpoint the noise. Attaching the YouTube link here. Noise is happening at 5-8 seconds in the video. It is identical in the interior of the X5 sound in the YouTube video you posted before.

I found information on a BMW service bulletin (SI B31 03 17) that the front lower control arms/wishbones (#13) fail due to "the ball joints of the front suspension wishbones are insufficiently lubricated". If you have part number 04 or lower it is defective. 05 and newer is good. Mine are 02. For reference, my X5 was manufactured October 2014 and I have 93,000 miles. Attaching the service bulletin here too.

I'm ordering the control arms here shortly (stressed af lol). It seems to be a job that is DIY so I'll report back how the job goes. They are $195 each on FCP Euro for the OE Lemförder brand.
My sound originally sounded as subtle as your video then it progressed.
This video was exactly what I was experiencing and why it's so tough to diagnose. I mean, he pulls it out and says it looks and behaves just fine. A sheep in wolves clothing.

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 07:33 PM   #63
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 F15

[QUOTE=M302_imola;27736219]What negatives were you experiencing w/ the worn tires?

Never bothered combining new fronts w/half life rears, many due to potentially margin becoming over 0.1%, thus affecting the X Drive.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 07:40 PM   #64
M302_imola
Major
Rep

[QUOTE=menelaos;27736225]
Quote:
What negatives were you experiencing w/ the worn tires?

Never bothered combining new fronts w/half life rears, many due to potentially margin becoming over 0.1%, thus affecting the X Drive.
I see. Well I soon will and will report back.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 10:40 AM   #65
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Well boys, all was well until I turned into my neighborhood mon evening and heard a pop sound. I immediately could tell it was either coming from the front suspension or axle. I limped it home with a thud sound a certain spot of every revolution of the wheel. Had it towed to my mechanic shop (the one I trust) and sure enough the passenger side outer cv boot I had repaired, by the shop that screwed me over had failed. My mechanic said they must have not put the axle back in correctly after. Thank God I was only doing 5 mph in my neighborhood and not hot rodding. My mechanic said I should contact the shop to explain the boot they repaired had failed then I told him the story about the falling out I had with the owner. So yet again, that shop fuked me! Luckily, I found a passenger side used OEM axle w/ only 27K miles on ebay for $150. It will be here tomorrow so I'll be happy to have her put back together. My mechanic said he priced axles and even an aftermarket passenger side was $600. So at least I found a good deal. BTW, I've read that you want to stick with OEM as the aftermarket axles aren't as beefy. The ultimate take home to all of this is find a trust worthy mechanic and never take the car elsewhere. This lesson has costed me right around $800 and a lot of time and energy. I hope I never see that shady shop owner again
Appreciate 3
      07-01-2021, 12:15 PM   #66
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 XDrive35i

Garage List
holy shit dude. fuck that shop.
2017 X5 XDrive35i X-Line | Sophisto Grey | MHD Full Flexfuel Tuned | Mosselman Turbo| Sutphin Tuning TCU | Nostrum Stage 2 HPFP | ER Charge Pipe | BimmerHausPerformance Intake and Inlet | ApexBuilt Catted DP | VRSF FMIC | Zeitronix Flexfuel Kit | KateCool Oil Cooler | Variant Wheels | Conti DWS06+ |
Appreciate 1