Drives: 2022 G05 M50i with DHP

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 M50i  [10.00]
2022 BMW X5 45e  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5 3.0D  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5 M50D  [8.66]
Idrive & Emails with Android

Hi,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300) running Android 4.3 (I know its pretty old, but I am waiting for the S6 to arrive). I also have the extended bluetooth package, but despite that I am unable to see any of my emails (neither gmail, nor the built in app). I can see my text messages though.

I guess I should be able to see the emails, right?

I have looked through the settings and enabled everything I could find. Maybe the phone's too old?

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 11:33 AM   #2
xweb10
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 35d

I cannot get emails to work with my Android device, either. I am on 4.4.4 but no luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 03:46 AM   #3
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

I have an HTC One M8 which was running Android 4.4.4 and is now running Android 5 and I have no problems reading emails and texts on the iDrive and even replying using the dragon dictate package. Works really well for me.

There was a fairly recent Bluetooth update which you can install yourself (from www.bmw.com/update iirc) that supposedly addresses some android device compatibility problems.

Did you get the Connected Drive services package added to your build?

In order to read emails through the Office function don't you need Connected Drive? I know my dealer was clueless about what you needed for what so I ended up adding all the connected drive related options and extended bluetooth and I ended up with a working solution.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 05:35 AM   #4
sssmokie
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 45e  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5 3.0D  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5 M50D  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPickles View Post
I have an HTC One M8 which was running Android 4.4.4 and is now running Android 5 and I have no problems reading emails and texts on the iDrive and even replying using the dragon dictate package. Works really well for me.

There was a fairly recent Bluetooth update which you can install yourself (from www.bmw.com/update iirc) that supposedly addresses some android device compatibility problems.

In order to read emails through the Office function don't you need Connected Drive? I know my dealer was clueless about what you needed for what so I ended up adding all the connected drive related options and extended bluetooth and I ended up with a working solution.
I didn't get the Connected Drive options, because they are not supported in Bulgaria yet. I suppose that you should be able to see the emails through iDrive without needing that though
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 05:37 AM   #5
sssmokie
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 45e  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5 3.0D  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5 M50D  [8.66]
opasha any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 08:35 AM   #6
FlxJet
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F15

Hi guys

Anyone using

http://www.nuancemobilelife.com dragon drive for bmw?
Or equivalent for voice dictate using blackberry in order to write emails and so on?
Any feedback on this please?

THANKS

GFJ
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 09:47 AM   #7
xweb10
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPickles View Post

I have the Bluetooth update and connected drive. The office menu is available and I do see my text messages in Idrive. Just not emails. . .
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 12:35 PM   #8
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

6NS is a bit tricky. Some say you have to connect to your bluetooth first as soon as your car connects to your phone, then kill your email client. This should restart emails coming into your iDrive Office menu.

However, there are some hiccups with this procedure and it does not seem consistent at all, so I'm not sure. There are a few coding options that I listed that make 6NS much more functional, and it's good to code them in as well from what I've read. I listed this new info a week or so ago in the coding thread OP (bottom of the page under 6NS ). Here:

If for some reason, your OFFICE is having issues, make sure all the ones in HU_NBT below are set to aktiv - this will give you the full functionality to make your OFFICE (6NS) to work correctly:

EMAIL_EIN_AUS
SMS_EIN_AUS
CONTACTS_EIN_AUS
CALENDAR_EIN_AUS
TEXT_NOTES_EIN_AUS
AUDIO_NOTES_EIN_AUS
REMINDER_EIN_AUS
TASK_EIN_AUS
PIM_BILDER_EIN_AUS
REMINDER_TRIGGERS_EIN_AUS
MACRO_PIM

While you're coding these in HU_NBT, search "exchange" to bring up the exchange email client services (there should only be one that deals with email)- activate it as well, and that might help hiccups with exchange emails if it's not already activated. I'll look up the exact code later when I get time. Gotta run. Good luck, everyone!
      03-26-2015, 01:22 PM   #9
ddavtian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 X6M, 20 X4M CE, 24 X6 M60i

In last few years I have had HTC, Samsung and LG phones. Only HTC phones were able to show email in the car. I couldn't get it working with Samsung and my current LG G2, it has to do with bluetooth profiles on the phones. I do have an old HTC Evo 3D at home (kept it for 3D camera, it's useful sometimes), keep it in the car now all the time. It doesn't have a phone service but connects to internet through my main LG phone. So any given moment in the car I have 2 phones connected, LG for phone conversation and HTC for showing emails.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 04:44 PM   #10
Phantom38
Rep
Drives: X5

I have a samsung note4 and connect drive, but I am struggling to get all working with emails and texts, and the dealership have no idea. I have registered online plus downloaded the apps, I think it's a good idea in principle but poorly executed, given the rest of the technology works so well!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 05:06 PM   #11
xweb10
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Android is so fragmented I half expected it to fail... Even though texts work for me, it is still quicker to read them on my phone or have my phone dictate them to me than go through iDrive.

Acura has a good system that states "You have a new message" and you can click "read it" and it will dictate it to you. No hunting for the message.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 02:59 PM   #12
Phantom38
Rep
Drives: X5

I had a play around today and got the default samsung voice app working. If I hold down the X5 voice key the samsung phone prompts me with the program to use. Tried a few and they sometimes work, there is an app called Robin for android and that worked for a time, it answered my questions through the x5 audio system, but drops out. Sent an email to the developers who said they will take a look, so that may be an option.

It's quite close to working but still buggy...
Appreciate 0