BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-11-2015, 09:12 AM   #23
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

I would sign on to a petition to allow many of the simpler things to be settings in iDrive.

One thing I wonder... the dealer has the ability to code this. If buying a new car, I'd imagine you can threaten them that you won't take the car unless they code some of these simple features (not illegal ones)? Lame solution but maybe it is one. Second might be to get them to do it at a service appointment... don't know how willing they are to do it and I imagine they might want to charge for it?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 10:00 AM   #24
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
One thing I wonder... the dealer has the ability to code this.
That's actually a common mistake - the dealer doesn't have E-Sys software to code specific things inside the car like we do. They're using BMW ISPI Next (Rheingold + ISTA/P) software for diagnostics/updates within the constraints set by BMW. And if they start offering coding behind the scenes... well, first of all - if they actually do it, they'll take no responsibility/give you no warranties if they accidentally brick your car and more important - it can end in a really bad way for them when BMW regional HQ finds out.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 10:31 AM   #25
M3LOLJK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Bummer - anyone know when the 55.1 was released ? I just picked up my F16 last week and am praying to God it doesn't have this firmware. BMW is turning into APPLE in regards to making their products 'user customization unfriendly'. Jailbreaking with Apple and now this blocked coding non-sense by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 10:36 AM   #26
quattrospeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Soon to be F15 X5 x3.0

Is there anyone out there who has experimented with what you can code now and can't code with 55? Maybe we should get a list going?

happiness is driving your car after washing it
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 10:48 AM   #27
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrospeed View Post
Is there anyone out there who has experimented with what you can code now and can't code with 55? Maybe we should get a list going?
Post #10. VO coding is not a problem apparently, but FDL coding is.
      03-11-2015, 10:53 AM   #28
quattrospeed
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco
Quote:
Post #10. VO coding is not a problem apparently, but FDL coding is.
I'm sorry, but kindly tell me what's categorized as FDL and what's categorized as VO? Thanks.

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 11:45 AM   #29
egalley
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2020 M340i, 2019 X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Bomb View Post
Ok guys,

I just got my x5 back from the dealer for a regular service appointment and the next thing I know is the truck had a new computer update.

All my previous codes were gone ( that's expected ) but when I try to code it back, lots of module can't be read. I checked with #Opasha to fix the issue and it seems that the new 55.1 firmware update can no longer be coded. BMW put several restrictions to avoid any type of coding.

So if you guys want to keep your presets or still be able to code by yourself....DO NOT do the software update from the dealer.

I learn this the hard way and I'm still really disappointed.
Spread the info !!!!!!!
Did the dealer say what fixes were in the updated firmware?
      03-11-2015, 01:15 PM   #30
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
I'm sorry, but kindly tell me what's categorized as FDL and what's categorized as VO? Thanks.
VO is short for Vehicle Order. These codes enable features as if car was sold with them, and are permanent. I imagine Enhanced Bluetooth is such a code and anti dazzle, in markets in which it is available. FDL are function data list modifiers. these affect individual functions in various control units. Many changes require both from of coding to work.

I'll pass on to opasha to fill in the rest but my knowledge thereafter is weak.
      03-11-2015, 02:12 PM   #31
Dash52
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 740i Xdrive

Any thoughts on how to specifically request "no firmware update" when we bring the car to BMW for regular service.....and what to say if they question why....?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 04:17 PM   #32
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

All of this information regarding FA/VO coding vs FDL coding is speculation. From what I know, if you have already added or coded anything into your FA (6NS, removal of 8S4, etc), then this coding will be preserved forever. No one can remove this from your FA with ISTA/P dealer coding. FDL coding is coding everything in the CHEAT SHEET - it refers to specific coding by name of each module - like LEGAL_TIME_DISCLAIMER, STARTUP_EMBLEM, etc.

I don't know if a petition will help or if it will make BMW become even more aggressive with their coding limitations. As wdimagineer, coding isn't dead yet 100%. I'm sure there are loop holes out there, but no one is publicly saying anything to avoid issues with BMW I guess. Don't quote me on anything. I am only here to help and am doing my best to figure certain loop holes out. It's sad as many of you have stated that even basic features are not enabled that come standard on our Mercedes, Audi, etc. I really would love to sit down with a BMW engineer and ask him what kind of answer they have for limiting even the most basic/useful features in the states and other countries but give Europe almost 70% of the cheat sheet precoded. It's really messed up, what can you do?
      03-11-2015, 04:22 PM   #33
xweb10
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash52 View Post
Any thoughts on how to specifically request "no firmware update" when we bring the car to BMW for regular service.....and what to say if they question why....?
"Please do not update the vehicle software because I like the car as it is now".
Appreciate 2
      03-11-2015, 04:47 PM   #34
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xweb10 View Post
"Please do not update the vehicle software because I like the car as it is now".
Just make sure before you say that, you VO Code your HU_NBT and ACSM (seat belt coding) so they don't start to "look deeper" at what is different if they are that intelligent. They may or may not listen. Who knows?
      03-11-2015, 04:58 PM   #35
K-Bomb
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5 f15 M-Sport

I asked a friend at the dealer today and he checked with the computer/electronic's technician. The tech told him that with the system they use (ISPI), he is not able to code anything, not even a folding mirror or splash screen. He said he can try but nothing is guaranteed...So he said just give it time and maybe a computer crack who knows how to code will figure out a way to code the new software eventually.

But I have no clue as to what the new upgrade includes !
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 05:00 PM   #36
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I asked a friend at the dealer today and he checked with the computer/electronic's technician. The tech told him that with the system they use (ISPI), he is not able to code anything, not even a folding mirror or splash screen. He said he can try but nothing is guaranteed...So he said just give it time and maybe a computer crack who knows how to code will figure out a way to code the new software eventually.

The upgrades (if any) are never advertised to the general public. The main thing is that 55.1 has been trimmed much further, which is why you had 17 ecu folders not being able to be read with 54.2 psdzdata.

Also, I know he is your friend, but don't advertise to dealerships that you have coding done. You are risking your warranty by doing that. It takes just one person who doesn't like you at a dealership to screw you over. Remember that.
      03-11-2015, 05:04 PM   #37
quattrospeed
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha
Quote:

The upgrades (if any) are never advertised to the general public. The main thing is that 55.1 has been trimmed much further, which is why you had 17 ecu folders not being able to be read with 54.2 psdzdata.

Also, I know he is your friend, but don't advertise to dealerships that you have coding done. You are risking your warranty by doing that. It takes just one person who doesn't like you at a dealership to screw you over. Remember that.
Learned that the hard way at Audi with my TTRS...

Appreciate 1
      03-11-2015, 06:49 PM   #38
Ashot12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 x35i, lotus Elise sc

So, the software update will erase the coding I have done to my car, and bring it back to the factory setting?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 07:11 PM   #39
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashot12 View Post
So, the software update will erase the coding I have done to my car, and bring it back to the factory setting?
Yes, unfortunately.
      03-11-2015, 07:51 PM   #40
Ashot12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 x35i, lotus Elise sc

Appreciate 1
      03-11-2015, 11:12 PM   #41
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Let's all find a local dealer in our area who won't update the software and promise them that we will all take our cars to their service center for maintenance.

If software update was something that important, they would have just sent us a letter that we need to bring it in for update. They can just skip the update and note "owner was in a hurry, so we just changed the oil and sent it out"

I really love my BMW the way it is (coded), there were several annoyances that I got rid of by coding, it makes it a whole lot more enjoyable, especially things like unlock on engine stop and folding mirrors (vehicles that cost half the price of a BMW can do more than twice the things that we can get added by coding only).

As for digital speedo, I think they want you to get HUD. I can understand that, BMW has to push people pay for stuff like enhanced bluetooth? Maybe they figured people started fiddling with things instead of adding options, although enhanced BT is VO, you get the point.

PS: Just for this alone, can we take our vehicles elsewhere for oil change? What else does BMW do on scheduled maintenance? Is there a list of things they do at every 10k up to 30k? Maybe for those of us who lease, we can just skip the dealer and keep our receipts?
      03-12-2015, 05:41 AM   #42
igorsvrub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, 40d

Just to make clear regarding dealer's possibilities...
I am not sure what kind of equipment they have, but I am 100% sure that they can do FDL coding (2 weeks ago my neighbour picked up car and they deactivated auto start/stop function).
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 05:49 AM   #43
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsvrub View Post
Just to make clear regarding dealer's possibilities...
I am not sure what kind of equipment they have, but I am 100% sure that they can do FDL coding (2 weeks ago my neighbour picked up car and they deactivated auto start/stop function).
That is completely incorrect. Dealers have only ISTA/P for Programming and Encoding (VO Coding).

When a dealership disable Auto Start/Stop, they add HO-Wort = OMSA to FA and Encode (VO Code) car.

E-Sys is the only tool for FDL Coding, and it is reserved for factory floor engineers, not dealerships.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 3
      03-12-2015, 06:21 AM   #44
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
That is completely incorrect. Dealers have only ISTA/P for Programming and Encoding (VO Coding).

When a dealership disable Auto Start/Stop, they add HO-Wort = OMSA to FA and Encode (VO Code) car.

E-Sys is the only tool for FDL Coding, and it is reserved for factory floor engineers, not dealerships.
+1 as Shawn stated. No dealership has ESYS software. Half of them don't even know what fdl coding is, so don't assume they do. You only risk putting yourself in trouble with your dealership if you start openly discussing this. They will find any reason to void your warranty even if it is not related. Why? Because that makes them money.