BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-12-2015, 06:23 AM   #45
igorsvrub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
That is completely incorrect. Dealers have only ISTA/P for Programming and Encoding (VO Coding).

When a dealership disable Auto Start/Stop, they add HO-Wort = OMSA to FA and Encode (VO Code) car.

E-Sys is the only tool for FDL Coding, and it is reserved for factory floor engineers, not dealerships.
Ok, clear Shawn-details I did not know, but knew the fact that auto start/stop function deactivated
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2015, 06:24 AM   #46
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsvrub View Post
Ok, clear Shawn-details I did not know, but knew the fact that auto start/stop function deactivated
That's why we have these forums - to learn and understand through discussions .
      03-12-2015, 08:06 AM   #47
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

How do I find out what code level my car is at? I haven't tried to code anything yet because its been so cold in my garage. I took delivery on January 26, 2015 - I might be out of luck
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 08:13 AM   #48
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbender View Post
How do I find out what code level my car is at? I haven't tried to code anything yet because its been so cold in my garage. I took delivery on January 26, 2015 - I might be out of luck
Read I-Step Current:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...postcount=1403

Anything > = F025-15-03-501 is 55.0 or higher.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 08:21 AM   #49
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

Hope to check this weekend as it is warming up here in New Jersey - finally
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 01:35 PM   #50
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

REGARDING 6WB:

When going in for service, you first need to remove 6WB from your FA. Then, VO Code HU_NBT and Kombi again. Otherwise, ISTA/P won't read your car.

If for some reason you can't VO Code Kombi and HU_NBT after you get it back from the dealership, then you need to download pszdzdata 55.0 and then VO Code those folders to my knowledge.

shawnsheridan, can you verify this? I've gotten many PMs by those who have retrofitted 6WB asking if 6WB will still work or not after their cars get updated to 55.1 and above.
      03-12-2015, 01:50 PM   #51
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
REGARDING 6WB:

When going in for service, you first need to remove 6WB from your FA. Then, VO Code HU_NBT and Kombi again. Otherwise, ISTA/P won't read your car.

If for some reason you can't VO Code Kombi and HU_NBT after you get it back from the dealership, then you need to download pszdzdata 55.0 and then VO Code those folders to my knowledge.

shawnsheridan, can you verify this? I've gotten many PMs by those who have retrofitted 6WB asking if 6WB will still work or not after their cars get updated to 55.1 and above.
Physically remove Kombi from car, and that is it. There is no need to VO Code anything, as ISTA/P does not care about current coding. If 6WB was written to car FA, it should be removed from FA and car FA updated.

When car comes back, pop 6WB in, and it should work fine as it is already properly coded for the car. Head Unit will need to be VO Coded for 6WB though.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 02:10 PM   #52
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Physically remove Kombi from car, and that is it. There is no need to VO Code anything, as ISTA/P does not care about current coding. If 6WB was written to car FA, it should be removed from FA and car FA updated.

When car comes back, pop 6WB in, and it should work fine as it is already properly coded for the car. Head Unit will need to be VO Coded for 6WB though.
I see. A few things I need some clarification on:

1) Removal of 6WB from FA - easy, this I understand because ISTA/P looks and reads this information and if 6WB is there, it will throw an error and not read the car since it is not a dealer option yet in the US and ISTA/P does not recognize it yet.

2) Doesn't dealer VO Code all ECU folders? If so, then isn't that the same as if coding the original cluster back? VO Coding syncs everything currently in the car. If we re-add 6WB to the FA, won't we have to VO Code both KOMBI and HU_NBT? Doesn't make sense to me that we only have to VO Code HU_NBT only since that only deals with the navigation syncing correctly and for Kombi_CIC to recognize all the options to scroll through in the Kombi that can be selected/deselected in the iDrive.

Sorry, just trying to understand better what gets coded in and out when switching. I know you've done this many times and switched it out many times and what works and doesn't work. Thanks, Shawn.
      03-12-2015, 02:15 PM   #53
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

So, what will you big coding guys (shawnsheridan, opasha, r33, etc.) be doing when it comes time to bringing in your car to BMW service? Just curious.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 02:23 PM   #54
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
...2) Doesn't dealer VO Code all ECU folders? If so, then isn't that the same as if coding the original cluster back? VO Coding syncs everything currently in the car. If we re-add 6WB to the FA, won't we have to VO Code both KOMBI and HU_NBT? Doesn't make sense to me that we only have to VO Code HU_NBT only since that only deals with the navigation syncing correctly and for Kombi_CIC to recognize all the options to scroll through in the Kombi that can be selected/deselected in the iDrive...
Why would you need to VO Code the 6WB Kombi again if it has already been VO coded for your car once, and then it is removed to sit on shelf in garage while dealer programs the car? The dealer will have only programmed / encoded your Basic Kombi ECU and not your 6WB Kombi ECU, so why should it need to be recoded if its coding has not changed at all? If you VO Code the 6WB again, not a single FDL Code in it will change.

Appreciate 1
      03-12-2015, 02:28 PM   #55
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Why would you need to VO Code the 6WB Kombi again if it has already been VO coded for your car once, and then it is removed to sit on shelf in garage while dealer programs the car? The dealer will have only programmed / encoded your Basic Kombi ECU and not your 6WB Kombi ECU, so why should it need to be recoded if its coding has not changed at all? If you VO Code the 6WB again, not a single FDL Code in it will change.
Nevermind, you're right. I forgot that the Detect CAF from SWE step was already performed and VO Coded Kombi after that so nothing changes or needs changing. I got it now.

Last edited by opasha; 03-12-2015 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 02:35 PM   #56
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nevermind, you're right. I forgot that the Detect CAF from SWE step was already performed and VO Coded Kombi after that so nothing changes or needs changing. I got it now.
It initially needed both CAFD injection and VO Coding. After receiving that, there is no need to recode it again.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 02:40 PM   #57
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cenix View Post
So, what will you big coding guys (shawnsheridan, opasha, r33, etc.) be doing when it comes time to bringing in your car to BMW service? Just curious.
My car is out of warranty, so hopefully I will avoid dealership. But, I will not let them program my car unless it is absolutely necessary in order for it to function, and if that should happen, then I'm just in the same >= 55.0 boat as everyone else, and I'll deal with it. As much as I like coding my car, it's not the end of the world if I can't.

Appreciate 1
      03-12-2015, 02:43 PM   #58
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It initially needed both CAFD injection and VO Coding. After receiving that, there is no need to recode it again.
Thanks for the clarification as always, my friend .

So to summarize for everyone that has 6WB retrofitted:

1) Remove 6WB from your FA

2) When you get your car back, pop the 6WB back in. If you can read the FA of your updated car with 54.2 psdzdata, then you can re-add 6WB to the FA and VO Code HU_NBT.

3) If you cannot read the FA, then you will need the 55.0 psdzdata files to be able to Read FA and the do the following steps noted above.

I currently do not have 55.0, so I can't help anyone with that at the moment.

Yes, we are all in the same boat if our cars get updated. That's also why I avoid the dealership if it's not absolutely necessary. None of my costs have been expensive to fix myself thankfully, so I don't need to drive over an hour away to get it serviced. However, I know I will one day have to, and if that happens, not much I can do. As Shawn said, it's not the end of the world, just an annoyance we have to deal with.
      03-12-2015, 02:54 PM   #59
rmastale
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i MSport, F15 X5 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran.J View Post
There you go Matt great idea!

If anybody remembers back in the late 1990s and early 2000s dealers like Lexus, and Mercedes used to ask you things such as; When you press unlock on the key fob do you want all of the doors to unlock or just one? Etc.

Days before on board computer settings were available to drivers at any given time.

These were types of things they asked you when you came in for your first service on the car where the tech would code these settings in for you.

So BMW do what Lexus used to do 20 years ago and help your buyers make the ultimate driving machine, their personal ultimate driving machine

I'd bet my car this is exactly what BMW is going to do. They're going to make all these different options that can be coded for an upsell at the dealer. They'll have a menu they hand to you and a price by each one. They'll sell it as a tailoring your vehicle service... Why let others make money off coding vehicles when the dealers and BMW can be making the money.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 03:08 PM   #60
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmastale View Post
I'd bet my car this is exactly what BMW is going to do. They're going to make all these different options that can be coded for an upsell at the dealer. They'll have a menu they hand to you and a price by each one. They'll sell it as a tailoring your vehicle service... Why let others make money off coding vehicles when the dealers and BMW can be making the money.
Or, on the other optimistic hand, BMW is preparing their programs to have an "Advanced" settings feature where the end user can do these things on their own and set up their own preferences. That would be sweet, and it would really make me view BMW as truly a different car company.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 03:18 PM   #61
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenix View Post
Or, on the other optimistic hand, BMW is preparing their programs to have an "Advanced" settings feature where the end user can do these things on their own and set up their own preferences. That would be sweet, and it would really make me view BMW as truly a different car company.
Oh, you mean what Mercedes already does in its cars? My mother's 2014 ML350 lets her decide if she wants to fold her mirrors upon lock, have audible lock confirmation with the horn, etc. If only BMW were this nice, but they are not. A company that makes coding regionally different won't make things more convenient for us. I'm an optimist, but I wouldn't hold me breath on this idea .
      03-12-2015, 03:23 PM   #62
PaleRider
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15

So I one wanted to retrofit the 6WB after the car was updated to 55+, will it be possible? It's something I'm thinking seriously of doing but the car is in the shop currently and I'm afraid it's going to come back with the latest firmware...

Thanks,

Chris
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 03:25 PM   #63
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleRider View Post
So I one wanted to retrofit the 6WB after the car was updated to 55+, will it be possible? It's something I'm thinking seriously of doing but the car is in the shop currently and I'm afraid it's going to come back with the latest firmware...

Thanks,

Chris
Next time one of our members who has 6WB retrofitted goes in for service, I'll figure it out with them and keep everyone posted.
      03-12-2015, 03:27 PM   #64
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh, you mean what Mercedes already does in its cars? My mother's 2014 ML350 lets her decide if she wants to fold her mirrors upon lock, have audible lock confirmation with the horn, etc. If only BMW were this nice, but they are not. A company that makes coding regionally different won't make things more convenient for us. I'm an optimist, but I wouldn't hold me breath on this idea .
I hear you opasha. I'm not holding anything for this to happen, just some wishful thinking again.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2015, 01:34 PM   #65
usumega
Rep
Drives: BMW F16 30d

Hello.
I'm worried about all this.

My problem is that I retrofitted the NBT and would ask what steps should I follow when I have to take the car to the dealer.

Must I phisically remove the NBT?

If the dealer upgrades the software to > 55.1 what can I do in order to NBT works again?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 05:06 PM   #66
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by usumega View Post
Hello.
I'm worried about all this.

My problem is that I retrofitted the NBT and would ask what steps should I follow when I have to take the car to the dealer.

Must I phisically remove the NBT?

If the dealer upgrades the software to > 55.1 what can I do in order to NBT works again?

Thanks.
Your NBT should not have any issues because it is an original factory part. Since you added the correct option code to your FA and VO Coded what you needed, it will remain in tact without issues. We all have NBTs and VO Coding does not ERASE your NBT.