BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

11-19-2023, 08:55 PM   #1
brianhinton77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i, 2016 X5 M-Sport

Garage List
Lane Departure, Cruise Control, Active Blind Spot Malfunction

Hello, I was hoping that someone on here has experienced the same or similar problems and can help point me in the right direction without just throwing money at parts. Here’s the story….one night last week i was driving home and as soon as i turned into the driveway, i received a Cruise Control malfunction. I thought i would check it the next morning, maybe just a glitch…..next morning i get in , as soon as i crank the car, cruise control malfunction warning, followed by lane departure failure. I drove down the road and then active blind spot malfunction. I turned on the cruise control and it worked fine. All the buttons on the steering wheel work fine. I went back to the house and hooked up to ISTA. Here are the codes I found:

ICM:
480004 lane departure (TLC)
48004A vibration actuator not ready
480143 LDM function operational readiness operation cruise control

CAS
030490 steering wheel electronics (LRE) (LIN): missing LIN slave

KAFAS
800A07 Actuator steering wheel defective

I ordered a replacement vibration generator and installled it today….but no luck, all the same codes…after going through ISTA the other thing that was going up was the 030490…picture attached. The diagnosis was to replace the steering wheel module.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 07:00 PM   #2
Variante Alta
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d M Sport Metallic Whit

Hmmm…any luck with it going away on its own? Sounds a bit like an intermittent control unit failure but I’m no expert. I’d certainly allow for a full shut down of the car (locked) and you might find things get sorted out. It’s just a lot of stuff for an all of a sudden failure of a number of system components…highly unlikely.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 07:16 PM   #3
stocktree
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5

My first thought is the battery. Is it original?
A failing battery can cause multiple error messages at once.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 10:38 PM   #4
brianhinton77
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktree View Post
My first thought is the battery. Is it original?
A failing battery can cause multiple error messages at once.
I was thinking about that…as many posts i see usually all start with problems being battery related. I did do a check of the battery through Bimmerlink and the health was 97%. I’ll hook back up to ISTA and check all the details

Thank you for the response
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 08:57 AM   #5
stocktree
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhinton77 View Post
I was thinking about that…as many posts i see usually all start with problems being battery related. I did do a check of the battery through Bimmerlink and the health was 97%. I’ll hook back up to ISTA and check all the details

Thank you for the response
Is the battery original? Battery date would be stamped on top of one of the battery posts.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 02:20 PM   #6
MORX5d
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5d

I am in the process of diagnosing this exact problem. It appears to be related to a brief loss of contact in the LIN bus and/or the power supply to the Steering Wheel Control Module. Today, I removed the steering wheel airbag and wiring harness within the wheel. I noticed the connector contacts for the LIN bus were not shiny and cleaned them (next to yellow airbag connector in pic). After driving the car for a while, the number of fault warnings seemed to have decreased. I will next remove the clockswitch and clean the input contacts at the other end. Next I would check the clockswitch for continuous continuity. This might take some digging to resolve completely. BTW my batteries are all new.

Update — This did not work. I have ordered the steering wheel module. Fingers crossed.
Attached Images

Last edited by MORX5d; 11-23-2023 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 10:12 AM   #7
Ravina
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 f30 335i, 2007 e90 335i

Bumping this. I have the exact same problem as Brian Hinton with the 3 malfunctions in the same order on my 2018 440. Anyone got a solution - is it the battery?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 04:05 PM   #8
MORX5d
Registered
Rep

I replaced the steering wheel module some time ago with a used unit from eBay. The symptoms immediately disappeared. However, after some time the same symptoms reappeared. It has progressively gotten worse and is now approaching similar frequency to my original problem. I have now ordered another steering wheel module and am awaiting shipment. I believe it to be this module as the warning generally occur during speed reductions and are not related to movement of the steering wheel (clock spring). It also seems to happen on days with higher humidity and not on dry days.

Last edited by MORX5d; 03-31-2024 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 10:20 PM   #9
brianhinton77
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravina View Post
Bumping this. I have the exact same problem as Brian Hinton with the 3 malfunctions in the same order on my 2018 440. Anyone got a solution - is it the battery?
It is in the steering wheel switch cluster. It best to buy a new one because they come with a tab for the clock spring. You remove the tab wheel installing and you know that it’s in the right place.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 06:53 PM   #10
MORX5d
Registered
Rep

From Ravina - weird thing happened to me. All 4 problems went away a few days ago. I’m assuming this means there’s a loose wire somewhere. Not sure if a scanner can diagnose this issue ?

Hi Ravina - unfortunately you will not get to the bottom of this with a code scanner. ISTA runs you through a diagnostic procedure to check wiring and then if that fails it suggests replacing the steering wheel module. As brianhinton77 suggests, this could also be in the clock spring. I am travelling for the next month but after that I expect to replace the module again and also once again inspect the wiring harness. Failing these steps I will have to investigate the clock spring.

Note that each situation could be different. I am also convinced mine occurs mostly on high humidity days so try to keep an eye on the problem and humidity/weather. It’s a slow process to figure this out. Whether it’s a loose wire or failing module, from what I can see there is a brief loss of a communication signal on the Lin bus.
Appreciate 0