BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5M (F85) and X6M (F86) Forum

12-11-2017, 04:10 PM   #67
Montesquieu1748
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: ‘18 X5 M Azurite Black AB FML

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvit01 View Post
Beautiful color combination, awesome car.

Do you ever miss Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Full Merino Leather combination? I've read some of your posts, it appears that you went through a few black cars. I need to place an order very soon, and I'm stuck with the color choices. I've had a BSM/Black Full Merino E70, and liked it a lot. I'm currently driving Carbon Black Metallic/Moca Leather F15, and like it too, but I really miss all black car appearance. I will probably never go with anything non-black, considering going a little more blue - Azurite or back to Black Sapphire Metallic.
I think I agree with you that all black is awesome. I am happy that I went with both Azurite and the Aragon Brown full Merino Leather (FML). I do not regret it. As you read, I had three cars in a row with all black exteriors, and all black interiors. This time around I was intrigued with the idea of contrast. I wanted to still have a car that typically appears black, but was excited by the idea of having a hint of blue in normal daylight. I also liked the idea of a brilliant sparkling blue hue shining through the black in certain very bright, intense light conditions. If I am not mistaken, Iconoclast also has an Azurite Black metallic X5 M. I think the interior on Iconoclast's X5 M is black so it may help to see if Iconoclast can add comments on color choices.

If you have seen a lot of the pictures I have posted, it is rare that the conditions are perfect for me to really see all the complexity that Azurite Black metallic offers. This is because of several factors. The first is mainly because it is the environment I am currently in. It is currently winter in Germany, and it is almost always overcast and grey. It rains often, snows, and there is always snow, slush, and de-icing solution sprayed onto the roads, and consequently collecting onto the paint of my X5 M. I think any black car is going to have most of these effects in inclement weather, but Azurite shows best when clean, and in intense, direct sunlight where the rays of the sun, or bright lights reflect off at certain angles.

Because the blue can shine so bright in the right conditions, I chose to have the Satin Aluminum Trim on the roof rails, and window trim surrounds. I knew the front grilles, side vents, and X5 M badging all were already silver from factory, and just thought the blue hues would pair better with the silver trim matching all throughout the car. Most people who like black, like all black as you said, and would pick the Shadowline Trim, and the factory's black wheels. I did not have a desire to go Black and iND all the silver parts. I am still considering going crazy with carbon fiber exterior parts.

My thoughts were I wanted contrast. Just like I thought silver and Azurite paired well on the exterior, I wanted something that popped more on the interior. I was fortunate to get a X5 M for four days to test drive. It was Donnington Grey, and the interior was all black with carbon fiber. I decided DG was not for me, and I felt the interior black leather was also more of a grey color. I LOVE the X5 M interior. Combinations of silver trim, black trim, carbon fiber (on my test drive X5 M-and my own X5 M), and the leather dash, and so on. As I looked at the all black which I saw really as grey interior, I felt like black did not do justice to the interior. It seemed muted, and reserved.

There were two interior options that I thought showed the most contrast. Mugello Red FML, and Aragon Brown FML. Obviously I chose the Aragon. I felt the Mugello was too red. My eyes do not have the most acute color vision, but I felt the red was too much like ketchup for me to go with the bright vivid red. I was concerned the Aragon would be too bright, or too light in shade of brown. Some people said it looked orangeish in certain photos so I was reluctant, but decided to have a leap of faith. I am very happy with the interior in Aragon. I love the Black and Tan two-tone Leather effect the Aragon brown has. When you think of the interior layering, it has black leather upper dash, brown leather seats with black accents near the headrests, black and brown leather along the lower level of the dash, a bit of black piano interior, carbon fiber, and even aluminum trim accents. The doors are layers of aluminum, carbon fiber, brown, and black. I see layer upon layer of contrast, and with an even finer look at the details, typically there is tan stitching on the black, and black stitching on the tan, creating even more contrast inside. The added light or brightness really made me feel like it brings out all the outstanding interior details.

I see so many all black cars. All black trim. All black wheels. And all black interiors. If that is what you want, then that is what you should get. It is absolutely awesome. I really like the look. I just got bored with it. In buying this 2018 X5 M, I saw an opportunity to select certain choices that most people do not choose (Azurite, Aluminum Trim, Aragon Brown). I felt that all black had become too common for me, with three black on black cars in a row. I also felt that there was just too many other people with black X5 Ms. It was just a personal choice and I do not regret it.
Appreciate 1
lvit013.00
      12-13-2017, 09:45 PM   #68
lvit01
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M

Montesquieu1748,

I greatly appreciate your reply. In fact, it helped me to realize why I was a bit hesitant going with stock all black combination. I think I can make it work, but I would have to retrofit some details in the interior, and install the M Performance Alcantara trim, M Performance Steering Wheel, some carbon fiber parts in order to achieve the all black look I would be comfortable with. Obviously, it’s just my opinion, but I feel that stock black full merino leather interior looks too “cold” and plain, and needs some suede/alcantara details. I also want to try “more” color this time.

A Black Sapphire Metallic is still one of my favorite colors, but I think I will shift from Carbon Black Metallic (my current F15) towards a bit bluer, and go with Azurite this time. I love the appearance of Azurite/Smoke White combination, but I’m afraid it would require way too much maintenance.

Basically, I’ll be placing an order for a near identical build as yours, except I’ll stay with black roof rails and black exterior trim, planning on replacing the front grill panels and side vent fender trim with black parts.

I do prefer the look of 612M wheels in silver, I’m not a big fan of black wheels in general.

I also decided not to include the rear entertainment system this time, I was ordering it on my last three X5’s (2 x E70 and 1 x F15), and never used it (by back-seat passengers). I got a few complaints from the passengers that the screens are taking too much space (on F15).

I’m very excited to get my first M, hopefully sometime in February of 2018.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2017, 12:40 PM   #69
Montesquieu1748
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvit01 View Post
Montesquieu1748,

I greatly appreciate your reply. In fact, it helped me to realize why I was a bit hesitant going with stock all black combination. I think I can make it work, but I would have to retrofit some details in the interior, and install the M Performance Alcantara trim, M Performance Steering Wheel, some carbon fiber parts in order to achieve the all black look I would be comfortable with. Obviously, it’s just my opinion, but I feel that stock black full merino leather interior looks too “cold” and plain, and needs some suede/alcantara details. I also want to try “more” color this time.

A Black Sapphire Metallic is still one of my favorite colors, but I think I will shift from Carbon Black Metallic (my current F15) towards a bit bluer, and go with Azurite this time. I love the appearance of Azurite/Smoke White combination, but I’m afraid it would require way too much maintenance.

Basically, I’ll be placing an order for a near identical build as yours, except I’ll stay with black roof rails and black exterior trim, planning on replacing the front grill panels and side vent fender trim with black parts.

I do prefer the look of 612M wheels in silver, I’m not a big fan of black wheels in general.

I also decided not to include the rear entertainment system this time, I was ordering it on my last three X5’s (2 x E70 and 1 x F15), and never used it (by back-seat passengers). I got a few complaints from the passengers that the screens are taking too much space (on F15).

I’m very excited to get my first M, hopefully sometime in February of 2018.
Awesome. I am glad my opinion was helpful in some way. I look forward to seeing your build as soon as you get your first M in February. Very exciting.
Appreciate 1
lvit013.00
      12-17-2017, 12:43 PM   #70
Montesquieu1748
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

A few new winter photos of a mostly clean X5 M. It is so difficult to keep clean in all the snow, slush, and rain. Plus it is very hard to find a place I can hand wash my M.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
lvit013.00
      12-18-2017, 11:08 AM   #71
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Curious why you went with all the chrome bits but black wheels?
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2017, 11:20 AM   #72
Montesquieu1748
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
It is just the winter tire and wheel package. It only comes in orbit grey color. It is not black. I ordered with the 21" style 612 M wheels that are silver. I agree with you that it would have been odd for me to order black wheels. As soon as winter is over the silver 21s are back on.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 01:49 PM   #73
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Ah sweet
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2017, 01:29 AM   #74
Montesquieu1748
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Yes. I have actually driven zero miles with the factory installed 21 inch wheels. It was delivered to the dealership, and the same day they took them off and swapped out for the winter tire and wheel package.

I am really looking forward to Spring when I can finally drive with the Summer High Performance Michelins, and the larger wheels. The winter package are all the same tread width, and 20 inch wheels.

I want to see what the Pilot Super Sports can do.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 04:10 AM   #75
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montesquieu1748 View Post
It is just the winter tire and wheel package. It only comes in orbit grey color. It is not black. I ordered with the 21" style 612 M wheels that are silver. I agree with you that it would have been odd for me to order black wheels. As soon as winter is over the silver 21s are back on.
is the shadowline trim an option over there? i thought it was standard on the M.
nice ride though.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 05:12 AM   #76
Montesquieu1748
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
is the shadowline trim an option over there? i thought it was standard on the M.
nice ride though.
My X5 M is American spec. I ordered it specifically with the Satin Aluminum Trim, which is an option. You are right. Shadow Line Trim is standard. I specially ordered mine from the factory as part of a Military and Diplomatic sales program. I technically did not buy it from a dealer, so I chose each and every option that came with my X5 M. Luckily I received an associated discount with the Military and Diplomatic sales program.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 03:11 PM   #77
Montesquieu1748
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Quote:
Thank you. I am trying to find a good place to wash my car. In my neighborhood, and in most of Stuttgart, it is illegal to wash your car in your driveway or street. There are tons of automatic washes, but I do not want to put my Individual Azurite Black Metallic paint in one of those. A

I am stuck trying to use self spray car washes. They are few and far between, and I need a lot of extra gear when using them because there is no way to auto dry the car.

Still looking at options for a detail service.
Do you have a garage? If so, have you thought about using products such as Optimum No Rinse? What you could do is power wash the vehicle at a place that provides this option, then drive home and do an Optimum No Rinse wash in your garage at home.

Also, why is washing your car illegal in most of Stuttgart?
I was finally able to have a moment where I was able to thoroughly clean my X5 M, then come home and use Optimum No Rinse. I really like this product.

Wanted to thank P1et for suggesting it. Will definitely keep using it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
P111572.00
      12-28-2017, 03:54 PM   #78
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
I was finally able to have a moment where I was able to thoroughly clean my X5 M, then come home and use Optimum No Rinse. I really like this product.

Wanted to thank P1et for suggesting it. Will definitely keep using it.
I'm happy to see you like it! Definitely a great product for those of us who can't wash a vehicle the traditional way, either due to water, time or legal restrictions.
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2017, 03:14 PM   #79
Montesquieu1748
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Clean pic outdoors finally. Too bad grey skies though. Makes it look all black. Wish there was more sun to show the Azurite.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 04:44 PM   #80
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90

Appreciate 1
      12-17-2019, 05:28 PM   #81
sinner-man
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M 2018 Azurite / Aragon

I've just got a new X5M with about the same specs: Azurite + Aragon, but with black trim! Love it!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0