BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #1
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Feedback on X5 build and 20" Style 451 wheels

Looks like more than likely we will be ordering a 2015 X5 in the coming months. I pretty much have my build dialed, but am wondering about the 20" style 451 wheel option. I love the look, love the flared fender lining, but am concerned with the impact on road noise by having such wide tires. Would love feedback from those that chose to get or not get the 451 wheels compared to the stock 19" setup. Here is my current build as of Aug 30, 2014. Will be ordering in October:

X5 35d
Luxury Line
Mineral white
Mocha Design interior pkg
Fineline Oak wood trim
20" Style 451 wheels
Premium pkg
Driver Assit pkg
Driver Assist Plus
ACC Stop & Go
Cold Weather pkg
Luxury seating pkg
3rd row seat + rear axle air suspension
Harman Kardon
Rear Seat Entertainment Professional
Rear manual side window sunshades

Several other questions aside from the 20" wheels:

1. I love the mocha interior (my father has this in his 528). Why the hell will BMW not allow one to get the Mocha Dakota leather with the comfort seats? I don't want to pay the markup for the Nappa and Mocha interior design pkg having small kids (Dakota leather more durable). Stupid stupid.

2. I like Space Gray with the Ivory White and Black better as a color combo compared to the Alpine with the Terra (ideal would be Alpine with Mocha as stated above). But having small kids, I assume the Ivory white easily stains and shows dirt?

3. Are the regular Xenon lights bi-Xenon? And do they have the automatic high beam feature?

4. Are the style 451 wheels forged or cast?

5. Concierge services. Does one need to order this option to ever use it or can it be something that can be activated at a later date?

6. Any feedback on the Parking Assist?

If I have any more questions I will post. Would appreciate any feedback on my questions and my build. Thanks!
2024 718 GT4 RS | Arctic Grey

Last edited by PunjabiM3; 08-30-2014 at 09:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
Johndong888
John
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 M3, '18 S560, '16 G63

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3 View Post
Looks like more than likely we will be ordering a 2015 X5 in the coming months. I pretty much have my build dialed, but am wondering about the 20" style 451 wheel option. I love the look, love the flared fender lining, but am concerned with the impact on road noise by having such wide tires. Would love feedback from those that chose to get or not get the 451 wheels compared to the stock 19" setup. Here is my current build:

X5 35d
Luxury Line
Alpine White
Terra Interior
Fineline Oak wood trim
20" Style 451 wheels
Premium pkg
Driver Assit pkg
Driver Assist Plus
ACC Stop & Go
Cold Weather pkg
Multi Contour seats
3rd row seat + rear axle air suspension
4 zone climate
Harman Kardon
Rear Seat Entertainment Professional
Rear manual side window sunshades

Several other questions aside from the 20" wheels:

1. I love the mocha interior (my father has this in his 528). Why the hell will BMW not allow one to get the Mocha Dakota leather with the comfort seats? I don't want to pay the markup for the Nappa and Mocha interior design pkg having small kids (Dakota leather more durable). Stupid stupid.

2. I like Space Gray with the Ivory White and Black better as a color combo compared to the Alpine with the Terra (ideal would be Alpine with Mocha as stated above). But having small kids, I assume the Ivory white easily stains and shows dirt?

3. Are the regular Xenon lights bi-Xenon? And do they have the automatic high beam feature?

4. Are the style 451 wheels forged or cast?

5. Concierge services. Does one need to order this option to ever use it or can it be something that can be activated at a later date?

6. Any feedback on the Parking Assist?

If I have any more questions I will post. Would appreciate any feedback on my questions and my build. Thanks!
Solid order config!

1. Nappa is a nice smooth leather. Love it but I suppose dakota might be more durable since it's grainy leather. Either way, it's leather, it should be the same in durability.

2. I have ivory and black. It's amazing. It will stain if you wear jeans often. If you don't, get it, if you do, you'll need to clean it a little bit more often.

3. Automatic high beam should be an option. It's not that great unless you live in the rural area. LED headlights are much more useful than this.

4. Unsure

5. Concierge service can be activated at any time. It was more useful for me back then in the 2008 era to have the destination address sent to your car. Now you can do that all from the iphone app. It's also faster to find information yourself than to utilize the concierge in my opinion. It's great if you don't have the extra pair of hands though. All the X5 should include internet service for 3 years, this is more useful for me. (internet service includes, weather, google poi search, etc)

6. unsure

Current - 2012 AW/FR E92 M3 | 2014 AW X5 | 2015 MB S550 | 2016 RR V8 (White FTW)
Mods - BPMTune Stg1/Servo, Euro Visors & Side Mirror, IND Gloss Blk Pkg, OEM Perf. CF Trim/Spoiler, Grills, Lights, Pedals, Umnitza V4 AE, ModeCarbon GTS V1, 19" HRE P40
Sold - 2008 BSM/Black E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 03:07 PM   #3
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

No road noise that I've noticed on with our 469m's, same size as the 451's. Ride might be slightly more harsh than 19's but not much, not all that noticeable.

1. i don't think there's a real question here lol. But I agree… I'm sure there's a logistical or financial answer, but you just never know...
2. I agree regarding ivory, though some on here have argued that it holds up just fine. That said, Space gray would look great with Terra in addition to the alpine white. I would also check out mineral white if you haven't already. We have MW/Terra and love it.
3. no auto high beam but I believe there is an option for it (part of the lighting package I think). Others can chime in on this one..
4. Cast
5. I believe you can add it, though I don't really see the point, personally.. so much at your fingertips with any modern cell phone… I find any time I ask others to do things for me, it usually takes more conversation than just making the call(s) myself. But that's just me.
6. can't help with this one
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 08:04 PM   #4
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3 View Post

Dude. i went through the whole dilemma just like you some time back... i wanted dakota mocha with comfort seats...no can do!
Finally I gave up the MC seats for the sake of having Mocha Dakota...(you know...kids, mess, puff, boom,....)
so I have standard seats with Mocha Dakota....don't regret it a bit!
The dakota is rigid and good...
The standard seats are also decent and comfortable...
so it worked for me... (not to mention the $ saved)
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #5
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I will keep my fingers crossed and maybe BMW will make Mocha Dakota with comfort seats available for the 2015 model. But if not, may just stick with the Alpine/Terra (though I need to see both Terra and the Ivory/Black in person).
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 01:59 PM   #6
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

IMO, the multi contour/comfort seats are worth keeping even if it means you can't get the mocha. The mocha is nice, don't get me wrong, but the mc seats are awesome. I regret not getting them on our F15. also, don't forget you get that brown lower half of the dash with mocha instead of all black like you get with Terra or Ivory. Personally, I like the all black since the top half is still black and the carpets are black.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 01:09 PM   #7
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well have been playing around with the build your own on BMW's website and am thinking of making the following changes for when I order:

M-sport instead of Luxury line
Staying with the standard 19" M sport wheels with all seasons for ride comfort
Changing interior color to Mocha (my favorite) and settling for the sport seats (so no MC seats)
Adding the M adaptive suspension for ride comfort

I like the black headliner of M sport, prefer the non M-sport front bumper, also like the 20" wheels but am thinking of sticking with the M sport standard 19" wheels since they are unique to the line (and comfort as stated above).

So basically in the end the MSRP difference only ends up being around $500. Would love feedback on this potential M sport build versus my original Luxury line build. Will be ordering a 2015 so still plenty of time to make some tweaks.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 01:37 PM   #8
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Have you sat in the sports and multi comfort seats to compare?
If you haven't do your self a favor and compare the two... otherwise you will be kicking yourself later..

Also switching from whatever lines to MSport is a great choice!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 02:02 PM   #9
Artdnj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 X30i

Are the MC more comfortable without using the extra 10 adjustments? My wife rarely pushes a seat control button in her current ride so I don't think an extra 10 buttons would be worth it for me. Just asking...

Btw, I like your msport build better
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 02:27 PM   #10
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artdnj View Post
Are the MC more comfortable without using the extra 10 adjustments? My wife rarely pushes a seat control button in her current ride so I don't think an extra 10 buttons would be worth it for me. Just asking...

It's not something you constantly adjust. You play with all of the adjustments the first couple days/weeks until you get it just right, then you leave it alone. When you hit that point, the seat fits your body like a glove and you never really need to adjust it again.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 02:32 PM   #11
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
It's not something you constantly adjust. You play with all of the adjustments the first couple days/weeks until you get it just right, then you leave it alone. When you hit that point, the seat fits your body like a glove and you never really need to adjust it again.
I actually have two settings and I use both depending on my drives..
Both are on my preset button for memory so if the seats get adjusted by someone else I just press one button to to go back to "my" settings.

Like Chrisny said.. the seats fit you like a glove and holds you in place..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 02:35 PM   #12
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artdnj View Post

These seats adjust in so many ways that it practically becomes a custom fit seat for each individual... your thigh rest can extend, the upper back support can move a little forward, the side bolsters can move tighter or looser to hold you in place during tight or sharp turns.. the adjustments are almost endless... you have to sit in one and see for yourself.

See this video..
not a good representation but you get the idea..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #13
Artdnj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 X30i

Ok I get it, thx. Definitely have to try it in person.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 04:33 PM   #14
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

You bastards. This means I will have no choice but to stick with the MC seats. Will likely just stick to the Luxury line config, but will likely go with Space Gray for exterior color. I just wish BMW would allow MC seats with Mocha Dakota interior for 2015. Otherwise will likely go with Terra interior.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 09:32 AM   #15
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Why can't you stick with the Msport? To me I just don't really care for the bland looking bumper on the regular X5's but the Msport looks a lot more aggressive... The wheel flares also make the X5 more aggressive looking..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 10:49 AM   #16
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Why can't you stick with the Msport? To me I just don't really care for the bland looking bumper on the regular X5's but the Msport looks a lot more aggressive... The wheel flares also make the X5 more aggressive looking..
I may still. Still have at least a month or two before my 2015 order goes in. If I think of what I would ideally like, a Mocha interior with dakota leather without the standard seats would be among my top priorities. The only way I can currently do this, at least for the 2014 config, is M sport with the standard sport seats. Only way to do MC seats in any config with Mocha is the Nappa leather, which I really do not need for this vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #17
Kzang
Major General
Rep

I understand that the Mocha color looks amazing and when I get ready to order mine, I hope there will be an option for me to do this.... but if I had too order now..based upon my experience with the comfort seat... I would rather have function than looks.

For some people it is difficult to figure out exactly how the comfort seats feel versus sports seats and standard seats in such a short period of time such as a 15 minute test drive... but for me as soon as I sat in the comfort seat.. I knew exactly what everyone was talking about on these forums...

When I ordered my 2007 525i ( my first BMW ) from Germany, I was on a low budget and I did not want to spend the extra money on the seats.. so I got standard seats and hated it...the standard seats in my opinion were worse than some common cars out there ( Nissan, Toyota, Ford ). But if you never really experienced a feature, you won't know what your missing anyway right?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 09:42 AM   #18
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Are the standard xenon lights bi-xenon? And are they adaptive, swerving left/right around corners and up/down? I updated my build today just trying to see if the LED lights would be useful for us or not...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 10:18 AM   #19
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

They are adaptive (left to right with turning) Bi-Xenon.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 01:54 PM   #20
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Still on the fence about getting the lighting pkg (LED headlights). We are city dwellers, though the city we live in now (Tucson) is pathetic as most of the city does not even have street lights. I am thinking LED would be great here, though we will be moving elsewhere within 6-8 months. Maybe I should just flip a coin. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #21
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I am doing the un4gettable test drive next week and will be ordering as soon as I receive the email from BMW with the voucher. Anyone know if this comes right away or several days later? The dealer I am ordering from is about 1.5 hours away, hence why I ask. Also, I remember reading a thread commenting on choice of roof rail finish/color? Any info on this or other little things I can change when placing the order for the X5? Thanks!
Appreciate 0