ciscorob
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 sdrive35i

Coolant hose from engine to water pump

Has anyone experienced failure on this component? Here is a link:

https://www.bmwpartsdeal.com/parts/b...537649304.html

I am leaning towards just buying it anyways, since I want to replace the turbo coolant feed and return lines, its just another $200 kick in the nuts when I've already spent $1,100 on most of the cooling components and I have another $900 in my FCP Euro cart for VANOS valves, Eccentric Valve actuator (and all the related gaskets and o-rings associated with removal and reinstall). At 101,750 miles and doing some research on here, and other places, seems to me that 150,000 miles is when a lot of other things like to give out, just wanted to know if anyone had experience with this part and how much of a PITA it was to replace.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 01:50 AM   #2
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Modern bmw hoses are very high quality apart from the plastic fittings. If you’re touching it anyway, I’d say replace it. If not, don’t.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2023, 08:38 AM   #3
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 XDrive35i

Garage List
common hose that fails particularly at the flange to the engine block. get the billet flange for preventative.
2017 X5 XDrive35i X-Line | Sophisto Grey | MHD Full Flexfuel Tuned | Mosselman Turbo| Sutphin Tuning TCU | Nostrum Stage 2 HPFP | ER Charge Pipe | BimmerHausPerformance Intake and Inlet | ApexBuilt Catted DP | VRSF FMIC | Zeitronix Flexfuel Kit | KateCool Oil Cooler | Variant Wheels | Conti DWS06+ |
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 09:18 AM   #4
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhk527 View Post
common hose that fails particularly at the flange to the engine block. get the billet flange for preventative.
I'm chasing down a coolant leak as well. If this particular hose was leaking wouldn't you expect to see coolant on the garage floor? I have no leakage on the floor. Just trying to chase it down, but will have my mechanic investigate more thoroughly upon the thermo and water pump replacement.
Appreciate 1
sukhk5272193.50
      02-22-2023, 09:42 AM   #5
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 XDrive35i

Garage List
To be honest you’d think so. But for your case I’ve also heard stories of these cars drinking coolant. My theory is that it’s burning off because of the way the oil and coolant pass throughs work but I don’t have any concrete evidence.
2017 X5 XDrive35i X-Line | Sophisto Grey | MHD Full Flexfuel Tuned | Mosselman Turbo| Sutphin Tuning TCU | Nostrum Stage 2 HPFP | ER Charge Pipe | BimmerHausPerformance Intake and Inlet | ApexBuilt Catted DP | VRSF FMIC | Zeitronix Flexfuel Kit | KateCool Oil Cooler | Variant Wheels | Conti DWS06+ |
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 11:48 AM   #6
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Quote:
To be honest you’d think so. But for your case I’ve also heard stories of these cars drinking coolant. My theory is that it’s burning off because of the way the oil and coolant pass throughs work but I don’t have any concrete evidence.
Funny you mention that I've recently smelled a burning smell underneath the hood. But would coolant give off much of a smell when being burned? I thought it was oil initially but dip stick shows no evidence.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 04:49 PM   #7
Tomcat_F15_STL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

FYI. That pipe assembly has a repair kit associated with it.

It is easily found on FCPEuro and other sellers.
Appreciate 2
sukhk5272193.50
      02-27-2023, 10:49 AM   #8
ciscorob
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The flange you're mentioning goes to the cylinder head in the front of the engine, that is already been replaced.

The pipe I am talking about is aluminum from the back of the block, behind the turbo charger and the downpipe (technically the Catalytic Converter) is directly in the way of it; thus, you would need to remove it to remove the coolant feed line. I inspected it and it is dry as a bone, so I am going to leave it for now, but at least I know when this does leak I'll be taking the the downpipe off the turbo to access it, and that won't be fun.

I have looked at all the other hoses I've replaced and I can see where, perhaps, the leak may have been from one of the few plastic T's in some of the lines, but its difficult to tell which one so I'm replacing them all. I've also went ahead and ordered new hose clamps too, so they're nice and clean and if a leak pops up I'll be able to find it faster, or just use dye to locate it. I'll post an update on how well this goes.

Last edited by ciscorob; 02-27-2023 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: updated with more accurate info for catalytic converter
Appreciate 1
sukhk5272193.50
      02-27-2023, 12:46 PM   #9
ciscorob
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M302_imola View Post
I'm chasing down a coolant leak as well. If this particular hose was leaking wouldn't you expect to see coolant on the garage floor? I have no leakage on the floor. Just trying to chase it down, but will have my mechanic investigate more thoroughly upon the thermo and water pump replacement.
I was seeing coolant on the floor and its possible the flange from the cylinder head is leaking, use some Dye and a UV light to find it, wish I would have done this first; however, at 101K miles it was better for me to just replace the majority of the coolant lines. In my case I inspected the Coolant feed line from the block, right by the turbo, and it was dry, along with the coolant feed and return lines for the turbo, no evidence of a leak there.

That being said, plastic parts on BMWs are just, well, they're crap, so I imagine my leak is/was associated with one of those components. I realized the pump was factory, checked with BMW TIS (yeah, I paid the $30 to access it) and there was no evidence there it was replaced (I'm the second owner). If you're smelling what appears to be coolant then I would try to dye first, see if you can spot it, look to the turbo feed and return lines as those could hide a leak since the coolant would be touching a super hot turbo and evaporate before hitting the garage floor.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2023, 05:13 PM   #10
BillyGNice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW e92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat_F15_STL View Post
FYI. That pipe assembly has a repair kit associated with it.

It is easily found on FCPEuro and other sellers.
Any link ?
Appreciate 0