BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-30-2014, 08:03 PM   #45
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
I just got 2 of the craddle delete in stock.
PM me if anyone want to grab it.
It is hard to get. Took me at least a month.
Really bro? It took that long? That's weird. I ordered it on Monday Apr 28 @ 12pm. It shipped yesterday (Tuesday Apr 29 @ 3:18pm). $12.59 + $12.95 (Standard Ground Shipping US). I live in Maryland...is that a factor? I hope mine doesn't come too late. I'll keep everyone posted. I already got the torx tool...thanks for the information regarding that and your helpful picture steps . I'm in the best mood today, lol. My SOS button is working fine and about to use the BMW applications (SEND TO CAR and MY BMW REMOTE) since my account is working without any issues!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 08:06 PM   #46
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

That what my source told me, a week. But then it ended up a month.
I hope yours shows up in time.
I think GeneChen22 had issue on the ordering also. He order about a month ago and haven't received it.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 10:15 PM   #47
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That what my source told me, a week. But then it ended up a month.
I hope yours shows up in time.
I think GeneChen22 had issue on the ordering also. He order about a month ago and haven't received it.
Wow, that's crazy. I really hope it comes soon for you, and I dont have issues either.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 10:35 PM   #48
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

I got 2 already. I might order more for the meet in June if there are more attendance needing it.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 10:41 PM   #49
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I got 2 already. I might order more for the meet in June if there are more attendance needing it.
Oh nice. Hey Ben, quick question. Do you or anyone know when the US version of My BMW Remote apk is being released? I downloaded and tried 1.6 and 1.8. I was able to login but the actions for : lock/unlock, sound horn, and flash lights did nothing but rotate the circle. I was told it's not released yet for our vehicle. Supposedly it works for the 2014 328i.

I just setup my BMW Assist and I got Send To Car apk to work just fine - I can search any place in google maps and send it straight to my X5 - shows up in BMW Assist Messages - just click navigate and it starts up.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 10:52 PM   #50
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Oh nice. Hey Ben, quick question. Do you or anyone know when the US version of My BMW Remote apk is being released? I downloaded and tried 1.6 and 1.8. I was able to login but the actions for : lock/unlock, sound horn, and flash lights did nothing but rotate the circle. I was told it's not released yet for our vehicle. Supposedly it works for the 2014 328i.

I just setup my BMW Assist and I got Send To Car apk to work just fine - I can search any place in google maps and send it straight to my X5 - shows up in BMW Assist Messages - just click navigate and it starts up.
You should use the My BMW Remote US. That's what I use and it works.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #51
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You should use the My BMW Remote US. That's what I use and it works.
Is yours Android? Where do I get it? The one for android I'm told isn't released yet for US. Only the Iphone one is. Latest iphone version is 2.8. The woman at bmw assist didn't even know that there was an android one, lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 11:05 PM   #52
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is yours Android? Where do I get it? The one for android I'm told isn't released yet for US. Only the Iphone one is.
Owww. Mine is iPhone. Weird how they make some available for iPhone and some available for Android.
Such as; For Android device, email and text can be read from iDrive, but not the BMW Remote. For iPhone, email and text can't be read from iDrive, but the BMW Remote is available.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 11:07 PM   #53
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Owww. Mine is iPhone. Weird how they make some available for iPhone and some available for Android.
Such as; For Android device, email and text can be read from iDrive, but not the BMW Remote. For iPhone, email and text can't be read from iDrive, but the BMW Remote is available.
Yeah, that's really lame
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:16 AM   #54
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

I love how BMW try to solve the problem that they created by providing another useless solution.

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=973646

Why would one spend this kind of money if they can just hook up the cable to the USB port and remove the craddle that they installed and charged you, while taking up a great amount of useful space, yet still have to get the snap-in adapter in order to utilize it.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 03:49 AM   #55
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I love how BMW try to solve the problem that they created by providing another useless solution.

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=973646

Why would one spend this kind of money if they can just hook up the cable to the USB port and remove the craddle that they installed and charged you, while taking up a great amount of useful space, yet still have to get the snap-in adapter in order to utilize it.
Haha, yeah I saw that earlier. Just plain retarded.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 08:00 AM   #56
atomic80
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997TT

I can see how that one would be useful to some folks who prefer to have their phones displayed on the windshield for apps like Waze, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 08:34 AM   #57
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic80
I can see how that one would be useful to some folks who prefer to have their phones displayed on the windshield for apps like Waze, etc.
True, but what's the point of buying a mid 60k car without a built-in navigation system?
I mean, I would need that for my '06 Odyssey which the iPhone that I have is more powerful than the car's original entertainment system.
Then I can do text to voice for email or text, or even power torque reading via obd2 bluetooth/wifi to the iphone. Unlimited possibilities.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:25 PM   #58
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic80 View Post
There are much cheaper alternatives. Any good windshield mount will work better while having bluetooth connected instead. It's quicker and more convenient this way too considering BMW bluetooth automatically links up when you enter your vehicle.

Also, to everyone regarding the MY BMW REMOTE apk for android. I sent an email asking about it and how the UK has it, etc. Here's the lame response I got back from a rep:

Dear Mr. Pasha:

Thank you for writing to BMW of North America, LLC regarding the My BMW Remote app for Android. At this time we don't have any information about future plans to release this app for Android devices. We are continuing to work diligently on the development of products and technologies for use in our vehicles and will be able to announce relevant developments in the future. Thank you for your understanding. The BMW Customer Relations and Services Department is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., ET. You can reach us at 1-800-831-1117.

Sincerely,

Matthew Martin

Customer Relations and Services

Representative

The All-New BMW M3 Sedan and BMW M4 Coupe
Lighten Up. Power Up.
www.bmwusa.com

So, for any of you that actually use your phones to quickly look up google map locations. Just download SEND TO CAR from Google Playstore. It's free. Browse to any map location using google maps, then press the share button, find the SEND TO CAR application. It will open up with the location information and enter your BMW ASSIST name after you've already setup BMW ASSIST (this service is free for 10 years on all '14 models). Then just press SEND, and it will send the address directly to your BMW ASSIST Messages folder in the X5 quite fast in about 2-3 seconds (no lag at all like the My BMW Remote. Open it and you can navigate directly or call them from your X5. It's really convenient and beats having to manually enter in with the iDrive. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 02:05 PM   #59
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Just an update. My console part came in yesterday! Ordered from getbmwparts.com with standard shipping.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #60
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha
Just an update. My console part came in yesterday! Ordered from getbmwparts.com with standard shipping.

Now enjoy the small project and regain the compartment space.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 02:32 PM   #61
atomic80
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997TT

Quote:
Took forever to get this part...I still haven't had a chance to try installing it yet. Will do so hopefully soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 05:16 PM   #62
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic80 View Post
Took forever to get this part...I still haven't had a chance to try installing it yet. Will do so hopefully soon.
Ahh, I know why! They're in Silver Spring, MD - about an hour away from where I live. I got lucky for living in Maryland.

I ordered this Monday afternoon at 12 pm, it shipped the next day at 3pm, and arrived today in the morning around 11 am. 4 days with regular shipping from getbmwparts.com.

I haven't installed mine yet either because the dealer currently has my car in order to replace the old scratchy speaker part/parts with the new part/parts from Germany. Hopefully, I get it back tomorrow, if not, then Monday. I'll install it then and give an update.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 01:59 PM   #63
brothfly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 i35D

Quote:
My iDrive can read my Texts out loud from my iPhone, not email though.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 03:30 PM   #64
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bothfly
Quote:
My iDrive can read my Texts out loud from my iPhone, not email though.
Is it iPhone 4s and earlier model?
I think the issues only with the new one with lightning connector.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #65
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Here's my update. This was actually really easy EXCEPT the wire disconnection part (at the end - this was made me sweat like crazy - I wish I did this with the AC on lol). No one really had high quality pictures of the actual wires so I took a few. I will explain in detail about the wires. Thank you for the write up and points guys - esp about the largest wire and smallest wire - it helped.

Tools:
1) Torx T-25 screw driver.
2) Small pocket knife nail filer (this is dull to avoid scratching and the point is small enough to poke in between little crevices) or tiny computer flat head screw driver: these tools will be used for the wire disconnect for ones held by the snap in clips if your fingers can't push down hard enough and to pull away the plastic cover of the fan.

Pictures:

4 torx screws removed

End result: Looks great and perfect space! Make sure when you snap in the bottom two clips in first that you also push really hard in the middle sides so they snap in - you will hear a loud snap to prove they are locked into place. Then you can lock in the top. You can also do bottom to top and finish with the middle snaps - you will realize that the top is not fully locked into place if the middle snaps haven't clicked into place.

The disconnected wires of the cradle/fan console: make sure you look at the exact size and marks of each wire so you know where to disconnect - this was the hardest part because I could not figure out from the pics in this thread where the smallest wire disconnected. 1) Smallest wire: just pull apart - the part closest to the car is the smallest piece while the fan wire is the longest piece. 2) Medium sized snap in wires: Black/Pink: this one is very easy - just push the pink button and pull apart. Blue/Pink: this is tricky - pushing the pink button didn't work for me bc it was too tight so I used the pocket knife nail filer point to push the blue square inside that tiny hold you see in the picture and pulled both wires apart - it was tricky so be careful you don't hurt yourself. 3) Largest wire (I've included pics below for the largest wire and how the handle clip mechanism moves): This has a handle. Pull the handle to the left so that it perfectly rotates 90 degrees going from up to left position. Now pull the fat bottom piece away from the top piece.
TIP: it is easier if you pull all of these wires out of the white plastic before trying to disconnect them because it will give you more wiggle room to work with. The largest wire was the hardest piece to get out of the stupid white plastic. I literally had to pull it up really hard since it's installed in a sliding in fashion.

Largest wire connection start position (locked):

Largest wire connection (movement):

Largest wire connection end position (unlocked):

If you have any questions about the wires, ask in this thread. Follow the exact instructions provided by r33, and refer to my pictures for more details to help guide you. If you need more detailed pictures, let me know.

Ben, you can add my pictures to your first post so it's easier to read for everyone. Thanks .

Last edited by opasha; 05-08-2014 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 05:00 PM   #66
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Opasha,
I will update the pictures later.
Great picture details.
Appreciate 0