BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

View Poll Results: Which SUV is the one to get?
Porsche Macan S/GTS 4 8.00%
Porsche Macan Turbo 7 14.00%
Mercedes Benz GLC 43 AMG 0 0%
Mercedes Benz GLC 63 AMG 1 2.00%
Maserati Levante S 8 16.00%
Porsche Cayenne S 6 12.00%
Mercedes Benz GLE Coupe 45 AMG 7 14.00%
Audi Q7 3.0T 3 6.00%
BMW X5/6 x50i 24 48.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

05-24-2016, 10:00 AM   #1
toxic_bimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Macan S

Hey guys, I bet many of you who are planning to get a new car sometime later this year or early next year are on the same fences when it comes to sporty SUV segment. I have been looking at a few models and it's getting quite difficult, especially that many interesting ones are only coming later this year or early 2017 and not available for a test drive yet. Would be nice to hear your opinion, so here is my list:

Compact SUVs (around $65K-$75K):
- Porsche Macan S/GTS
- Mercedes GLC 43/63/63S AMG
- Maserati Levante S
- Jaguar F-Pace

Mid-size SUVs (around $65K-75K):
- Porsche Cayenne S
- Mercedes GLE Coupe 450 AMG
- Audi Q7 3.0T (don't ask why it's here )
- BMW X5/6 x50i

I wanted to get a new Macan S or lightly used Macan Turbo first, test-drove both of them but wasn't convinced frankly. Especially curious about Maserati Levante S and GLC 43/63 AMG.

Last edited by toxic_bimmer; 05-27-2016 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 10:08 AM   #2
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

If you need the space then you can cross the Macan off the list. My buddy has one and while its nice, its also way too small/cramped. I don't even think my uppababy stroller fits in his trunk. The interior was nice but it was only marginally better than my nappa equipped X5 in my opinion.

I've heard nothing but horrible things about Maserati and its reliability. Owners talking about how interior panels start getting loose and falling apart on a 100K car. I would avoid this one the most. Yes its beautiful but that's about it.

No Audi Q7 based on looks alone. I'm starting to see them around now and every single one looks boring and plain to me. I consider it the German version of the Acura MDX. While it may drive and handle great it just has a forgettable look. Not ugly but good looking either.

I would get the Cayenne if i had to pick from your list just to get something different.

Alan
      05-24-2016, 10:21 AM   #3
toxic_bimmer
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
If you need the space then you can cross the Macan off the list. My buddy has one and while its nice, its also way too small/cramped. I don't even think my uppababy stroller fits in his trunk. The interior was nice but it was only marginally better than my nappa equipped X5 in my opinion.

I've heard nothing but horrible things about Maserati and its reliability. Owners talking about how interior panels start getting loose and falling apart on a 100K car. I would avoid this one the most. Yes its beautiful but that's about it.

No Audi Q7 based on looks alone. I'm starting to see them around now and every single one looks boring and plain to me. I consider it the German version of the Acura MDX. While it may drive and handle great it just has a forgettable look. Not ugly but good looking either.

I would get the Cayenne if i had to pick from your list just to get something different.

Alan
Thank you Alan, agree with you on Macan, it does feel smallish on the inside, I could tell that especially judging by the center arm rest in Macan, it is so short and narrow. My X6 is much more comfortable in this department, but the acceleration of Porsche is better, in my opinion, given its hp/weight ratio.

Maserati, yeah, agreed, but they sound nice and burbly well, we yet to see how they put together this one. If it does fall apart like Ghiblis then its a no go.

Cayenne S, I still have to test-drive it, I drove a base model and wasn't impressed at all, I think Audi Q7 might feel very similar to it (base Cayenne).

I really wanna try the GLC though, sounds like a very promising package overall, and should be comparable to Macan S with more space inside.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 10:23 AM   #4
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
1. x6
2. gle coupe
3.x5
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 10:35 AM   #5
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_bimmer View Post
I have been looking at a few models and it's getting quite difficult,
out of the ones you listed in the poll i would only consider the Q7 or the X5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I'm starting to see them around now and every single one looks boring and plain to me. I consider it the German version of the Acura MDX.
i agree... i have been saying for some time that audi is transforming into the german lexus. it is becoming rather bland and unless it has an rs badge on it there isn't much to it these days.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 11:01 AM   #6
toxic_bimmer
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
out of the ones you listed in the poll i would only consider the Q7 or the X5.
Q7 looks rather cool and diesel version must be quite good too, a buddy of mine got a last gen diesel one, and he loves it, the torque especially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
i agree... i have been saying for some time that audi is transforming into the german lexus. it is becoming rather bland and unless it has an rs badge on it there isn't much to it these days.
I am probably old, but I actually remember quite well the Audis from the era when they had Audi 40/60/100 and those were really boring cars, and Lexus was just a glorified Toyota back then. As one outspoken guy said a "german cement salesman's car" on Audi But I must admit that over the last decade or so they did a great job but start looking very bland again over the most recent years. Nothing new.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 12:33 PM   #7
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Q7 looks rather cool and diesel version must be quite good too, a buddy of mine got a last gen diesel one, and he loves it, the torque especially.
I owned six different 4L Q7 starting with the 2007 through the 2015 and in various forms and modified nearly all of them. I am very familiar with the vehicle. The new one I am not sold on 100% but the next batch are getting the black optic package as an option and hopefully they will soon add the s-line / technic package but I fear they are omitting it from this Q7's option list to avoid similarity to the SQ7 that is arriving in Fall 2017.

Quote:
I am probably old, but I actually remember quite well the Audis from the era when they had Audi 40/60/100 and those were really boring cars, and Lexus was just a glorified Toyota back then. As one outspoken guy said a "german cement salesman's car" on Audi But I must admit that over the last decade or so they did a great job but start looking very bland again over the most recent years. Nothing new.
I do as well but at the time they had many things going for them... Interior build quality and design, Quattro (AWD), extremely attractive wagons (Avant) etc. Now... not so much. Outside of the RS7 and possibly revisit the Q7 there isn't anything in the Audi line-up that is available in the NAR that I would consider purchasing...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 01:29 PM   #8
Jimmie48
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 Xdrive35D

I know its not on your list but I am shopping for a kid hauler to replace my wifes audi Q5 and we really like the Volvo XC90 R design. Very pretty car and great for hauling kids. Wish it had a bigger motor which I expect they will in a year or so. Other than that an X5 works well for most things so I would go with a 35d M sport.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 02:20 PM   #9
cretanu
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M 5.0d

I drive a X5 M50d...fantastic car...but I've also tried the GLE coupe for my wife...honestly, I would also take it for a ride from time to time...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 04:57 PM   #10
toxic_bimmer
Private
United_States
Rep

Jimmie48, volvo does look very reasonable, but until they throw in some serious muscle under the hood, It's hard to compete with the listed cars.

Cretanu, X5 M50d is out of reach here, but I know that it's a great ride. I don't understand why BMW can't make it available in NA. Weirdly enough they do offer 35d.

Looks like Porsche and Merc are not getting much love here surprisingly Maserati is leading in the poll
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 08:23 PM   #11
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

You seem to some degree prefer Macan. Similar size X3, GO1 (3rd generation is around the corner) if your time schedule permits. I had 2 X3 (F15) and X5 (50i). Unsure why you were not convinced with Macan, perhaps size/weight. Personally I prefer size & power of the 50i.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 10:24 PM   #12
patrobX5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Volvo XC90 T8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
I know its not on your list but I am shopping for a kid hauler to replace my wifes audi Q5 and we really like the Volvo XC90 R design. Very pretty car and great for hauling kids.
+1 Love the R-Design with the 22's especially the T8, plenty of power plus great on gas! Also the safest SUV out there.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 11:43 PM   #13
toxic_bimmer
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
You seem to some degree prefer Macan. Similar size X3, GO1 (3rd generation is around the corner) if your time schedule permits. I had 2 X3 (F15) and X5 (50i). Unsure why you were not convinced with Macan, perhaps size/weight. Personally I prefer size & power of the 50i.
Yes, I do lean towards Macan, but as I said, GLC 43 AMG looks very compelling. The reason I wasn't completely sold is the size of the interior, it does seem slightly smaller than X6/5 or any other mid-size suv, but again, I do like the compact form factor, and I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker. Dynamics is very good, handling seems a little more composed and steering is much tighter than anything I tried in the segment (Audi RS lines excluded). I simply want to compare GLC, Levante and few others before I pull the trigger. Btw, GLC Coupe looks promising too. I guess, I will have a more clear opinion once I get to see them all live.

Mid-size SUVs do offer more utility, hence the second part of the list, but I am not hauling kids or other people for now, fun factor is more critical for me perhaps. When I was getting my X6, I did test drive 50i (X6/5) but decided to go with smaller engine because if I got 50i I would be regretting not getting X5M/6M, because well equipped 50i models do come very close to M territory. Had that experience with my 435i.

I have been and still am a BMW fan, but frankly, the electric steering does kill the old bimmer feel. Perhaps I am missing it, hence the cross shopping I think.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 08:02 AM   #14
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Jimmie48, volvo does look very reasonable, but until they throw in some serious muscle under the hood, It's hard to compete with the listed cars.
the T8 is bumped up in power but i wouldn't touch the XC90 until all the issues are resolved and the dealerships are updated and the techs receive proper training. everything in the past year that came up as an issue has been a wait and see approach until they get a visit from regional reps. not exactly how i would want to spend my first few months of new car ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrobX5 View Post
Also the safest SUV out there.
this arguable since all the SUV in the segment are rated the same if not very similar. i asked on swedespeed what makes the volvo any safer than other vehicles in it's class and i received a great deal of double-talk but no real answers except a video of a rollover test. i think the stereotype or stigma of volvo being safe is lingering from the 80's and early 90's. i don't believe they are substantially safer than say a Q7 or something comparable in it's class. i could be wrong this is just my opinion but until im shown something that proves them to be more safe than other vehicles i am going to go with that.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 08:47 AM   #15
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Having just gone through this and picking the X5 it's obvious what my decision was. That said if money weren't a factor I would probably go withe the Cayenne S in your list.

Macan feels small and pricey for what it is
GLC just doesn't feel special to me, although I did not drive the AMG
Maserati...no.
Q7, I just prefer the X5 to it
X6, I have grown to like the X6 but, the space in the X5 for carrying stuff is better.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 02:29 PM   #16
Terp335
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 2011 335i M Sport

I cross shopped a number of those cars and ended up on this forum so I firmly believe that the X5 is the best all around for the money and for my situation (2 kids, etc.).

I noticed that the Cayenne GTS is not on your list, but that is what I would pick for me if I didn't need to consider value, family use, and other practical matters. It was my favorite of all the cars in this class which we drove. The S wasn't special enough to justify the hideous dash and buttons that surround you in the cockpit. I honestly couldn't get past it and didn't feel like it was enough of a drivers car. The GTS on the other hand.....
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 03:37 PM   #17
toxic_bimmer
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terp335 View Post
I noticed that the Cayenne GTS is not on your list...
I just don't want to get into that price range for something that's going to sit in the garage for 5-6 days in a week and then mercilessly bumped into in the city while you leave it in the street. Once I can afford not to care about such things, that's going to be another story On top of that, getting any Cayenne now is probably not the best time, they are prepping a major update to hit the market very soon, along with new Panamera. and this upcoming update will actually address the center console million-buttons design

Last edited by toxic_bimmer; 05-25-2016 at 07:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 06:57 PM   #18
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
I just don't want to get into that price range for something that's going to sit in the garage for 5-6 days in a week and then mercilessly bumped into in the city while you leave it in the street. Once I can afford not to care about such things, that's going to be another story On top of that, getting any Cayenne now is probably not the best time, they are prepping a major update to hit the market very soon, along with new Panamera. and this upcoming update will actually address the center console million-button design
Actually if you can live with the buttons its probably a great time to get one. Typically sales slump when the new model is coming and you can negotiate some pretty killer deals. On my E70 X5d I got @$13K off MSRP at least in part because the F15 was only a month or two away.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 06:59 PM   #19
knepsterd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 BSM

Why did you not include the jaguar pace
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 07:19 PM   #20
toxic_bimmer
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
Actually if you can live with the buttons its probably a great time to get one. Typically sales slump when the new model is coming and you can negotiate some pretty killer deals. On my E70 X5d I got @$13K off MSRP at least in part because the F15 was only a month or two away.
Agreed, but I want to check out the other models like GLC and Levante, back to back. Hopefully, but not guaranteed, there will be some leftover at Porsche dealers, however since Cayenne S or GTS are mostly ordered models it is going to be a hit or miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knepsterd View Post
Why did you not include the jaguar pace
Frankly, Jag's F-Pace design is leaving me cold, but this is very subjective, and as a proof, motoring journalists are raving about it these days.

Disclaimer: the following is just my personal and very subjective opinion. I think that overall, since the technical differences across these two segments are marginal, the decision-making is mostly driven by the personal design preferences, brand loyalty, daily needs etc. Design-wise, I think Macan, GLE Coupe and Levante are the most interesting. GLC (and upcoming coupe) is almost there. But again, take it with a grain of salt, this is written by someone who picked X6 over sensible X5 (for the second time) and not very big on SUVs in general I just think that driving in the tristate area is more comfy in a tall riding vehicle. and people in the city tend to cut you less as opposed to when I had my MINI CS.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 09:51 PM   #21
citznfish
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 M Sport w/20" wheels

I hope you don't expect unbiased results :rofl:
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 11:02 AM   #22
New21er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

How about the Range Rover HSE? It's priced in there slightly above the X5. I currently have a 13 Touareg TDI and am cross shopping the RR and the X5 (both diesel models)
Appreciate 0