Jambo1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C /// 2023 XDrive40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Performance Upgrades Lacking

Coming from the VW/Audi scene, I'm trying to get a handle on the performance upgrade options available for the F15.

Aside from RaceChip/Burger/MPPK/Dinan, etc, are there any vendors that offer something like what APR does for VW/Audi/Porsche? I see a lot of piggyback options, and the like, but does anyone offer intercooler/turbo/intake upgrades, together with relevant software upgrades, that can mimic smooth yet powerful gains like what others like APR/Revo are doing?

For example, on 2 liter turbocharged VW/Audi engine that produces 200HP from factory can now crank out close to 400HP with a K04 turbo, intercooler, intake and downpipe upgrade. Focusing more on the complete transformational aspect of performance and driveability (as opposed to salivating solely over horsepower and torque), I've had great experiences with the likes of APR.

In my mind, I would imagine that turbocharged engines in general would provide more opportunity for holistic approaches for performance upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 10:26 AM   #2
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

There are not a lot of hardware options for the X5 but you can search for N55 turbo upgrades
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 03:05 PM   #3
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo1 View Post
Focusing more on the complete transformational aspect of performance and driveability (as opposed to salivating solely over horsepower and torque), I've had great experiences with the likes of APR.
I am a fan of modifying and upgrading vehicles but for what you're looking for why not just purchase the 50i or X5M to begin with and call it a day?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 06:02 PM   #4
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
I am a fan of modifying and upgrading vehicles but for what you're looking for why not just purchase the 50i or X5M to begin with and call it a day?

+1^^^
      05-26-2016, 10:32 PM   #5
Jambo1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C /// 2023 XDrive40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Sometimes the driveability on modified smaller engine cars is more enjoyable in its own way. No real reason, but I would do an X5M all day long
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 12:12 PM   #6
wifesbimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5 M50i, E92 M3, '16 F150

I have been tuning and modifying turbo cars for decades and am very familiar with Volkswagen engines and their potentials. You are right. Performance upgrade options may not be as wide spread as VW's. BMW is just a different breed of cars whose customers are not in their teens or twenty's. N55 engines are also very well known for its power with simple upgrades which you can research. If you want more power, just commit to a X5M. That is where the upgrade options and dollar figures get serious.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 08:43 AM   #7
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo1 View Post
Sometimes the driveability on modified smaller engine cars is more enjoyable in its own way.
i find a high strung motor with gobs of boost loses it's a daily drive-able characteristics and often becomes more of a chore than enjoyment. it could be because i am now a bit older but heavily modified vehicles are fun on the weekends but annoying in all other regards. YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifesbimmer View Post
I have been tuning and modifying turbo cars for decades and am very familiar with Volkswagen engines and their potentials. You are right. Performance upgrade options may not be as wide spread as VW's. BMW is just a different breed of cars whose customers are not in their teens or twenty's. N55 engines are also very well known for its power with simple upgrades which you can research. If you want more power, just commit to a X5M. That is where the upgrade options and dollar figures get serious.
i believe this is purely opinion based and not fact based because in other forums on other platforms there is no shortage of aftermarket support for many of the NA/FI vehicles produces... there is just much less in the X5 / SAV segment because those drivers are typically older or use it for daily driving or hauling passengers where the market for aftermarket pipes and tunes and anything in between is much smaller.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 12:11 PM   #8
wifesbimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
i find a high strung motor with gobs of boost loses it's a daily drive-able characteristics and often becomes more of a chore than enjoyment. it could be because i am now a bit older but heavily modified vehicles are fun on the weekends but annoying in all other regards. YMMV.

i believe this is purely opinion based and not fact based because in other forums on other platforms there is no shortage of aftermarket support for many of the NA/FI vehicles produces... there is just much less in the X5 / SAV segment because those drivers are typically older or use it for daily driving or hauling passengers where the market for aftermarket pipes and tunes and anything in between is much smaller.
It is true that the demographic who is more likely buy the X5 is people with kids to use it as a family bus like myself, but not necessarily older though. My point was that he would be better off buying a X5M if looking for performance in the X5.
When you get a chance, check out the X5M forum and see what are available for tuning an SUV. The options are just as vast. Stop living under a rock.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 02:31 PM   #9
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

i owned an X5M and it was modified, i am familiar with what is available. what i was saying is that there are less options for an X5 or X5M than say 335i/340i.

you are the one living under a rock when you say bmw owner's are not in their twenties because if you look at other platforms you will find a lot of the owners are much younger than one would expect.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 02:44 PM   #10
wifesbimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
i owned an X5M and it was modified, i am familiar with what is available. what i was saying is that there are less options for an X5 or X5M than say 335i/340i.

you are the one living under a rock when you say bmw owner's are not in their twenties because if you look at other platforms you will find a lot of the owners are much younger than one would expect.
When I said BMW owners are not in their teens or twenties, I specifically meant the owners for X5.

I have had my M3 for 4 years and I know for a fact that there are more performance upgrade options available for M's than any other BMW line ups.

Let's not deviate from the OP. Aftermarket turbo kits are not too common for N55 engines simply because they are already equipped with bigger turbos and inter-coolers. Like I said, if you want some serious advice for N55 upgrades, visit their forum.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 05:11 PM   #11
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

agreed, but that was my point from the beginning. buy the X5M or the 50i M-Sport and go on with life... there just isn't a large enough market for the X5 (yet) to have all the aftermarket upgrades the OP desires.
Appreciate 0