BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-19-2021, 07:49 PM   #1
HDEddie1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i, X3M40i, Audi SQ5

Another Continental DWS tire review

My ’16 X5 M Sport came with DUNLOP SPORT MAXX GT DSST, staggered width size. Surprisingly, I got 36K on them and they still showed 5mm tread remaining. They wore relatively evenly but I suspect it is because I ran the tire pressure on the low side (32/36) to minimize the harshness and noise of the run-flats. Wanting a quieter ride, I found the CONTINENTAL EXTREME CONTACT DWS 06 PLUS on Tire Rack at a very attractive price. Apparently the “plus” indicates a slightly upgraded version of the tire and includes a 560 (!) tire wear rating. Nevertheless the price was right so on went the tires.
I just competed about a 1000 mile road trip, Las Vegas to LA, and would like to share the following opinions:
-The tires are quieter than the Dunlop run-flats;
-The tires are softer riding than the Dunlop run flats…so much so that I had no hesitation on running higher air pressure values (39/41);
-The tires are pliable enough even at higher air pressure that I found myself using the “sport” feature on my M adaptive shocks without any degradation to the ride. With the run-flats, I almost always went “comfort” mode whenever I drove around crappy-road LA.
- No detectable tramlining on LA's rain grooved highways (neither did the Dunlops);
- The tires, however are not ultra-performance tires, instead they’re all season, but they don’t handle any better or worse than the Dunlop run-flats. This is subjective, however, as when I testing the handling, the X5 was never really pushed or carving any corners at full boil. (Nor would I attempt to test my x5 like a lowered sport sedan nor expect it to come close.)

So in conclusion, I would recommend the Continental Extreme Contact as a good non-run flat, all season replacement for normal driving needs. Plus a 560 tread wear rating!

First pic shows the 315/35ZR20 Continental profile on the factory 11” rim.
Last pic gratuitous shot from road stop-by Eddie World in Yermo, CA.
Attached Images

Last edited by HDEddie1; 08-19-2021 at 08:13 PM..
Appreciate 5
      08-19-2021, 08:27 PM   #2
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Thanks for the review. My experience with Continental is also positive.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 11:59 PM   #3
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

I've always been a Michelin person since I had my G35 and then my E90 and loved my AS 3+ tires I had on both of those, and I've been hesitant to switch to the Conti's because I've heard the sidewall is much softer and they don't have the response of the Mich's. Unfortunately Michelin doesn't make anything that I feel is a good compromise between all-season performance and tread life for a daily driven SUV, so I think I'm going to give the Conti's a try next time around.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 02:05 PM   #4
HDEddie1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
I've always been a Michelin person since I had my G35 and then my E90 and loved my AS 3+ tires I had on both of those, and I've been hesitant to switch to the Conti's because I've heard the sidewall is much softer and they don't have the response of the Mich's. Unfortunately Michelin doesn't make anything that I feel is a good compromise between all-season performance and tread life for a daily driven SUV, so I think I'm going to give the Conti's a try next time around.
Yes, I would have preferred the Pilot Sport 4S. But admittedly, my X5 is a mild family hauler (limited to MPPSK, EDC, and lowering springs/links) so these all season Conti's are good enough considering the Michelins are around $1770 a set while the DWS were just $1090 a set. Yes, the Conti's feel softer and that's probably why they ride so smooth and quiet. No, they I don't think they cut sharply like some Michelins do. Nor does my X5 handle well enough to exploit the Michelin advantage. Had my X5 had more sporting kit (specifically the Dynamic Handling Package), then Michelins, no doubt.
      08-25-2021, 11:42 PM   #5
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDEddie1 View Post
Yes, I would have preferred the Pilot Sport 4S. But admittedly, my X5 is a mild family hauler (limited to MPPSK, EDC, and lowering springs/links) so these all season Conti's are good enough considering the Michelins are around $1770 a set while the DWS were just $1090 a set. Yes, the Conti's feel softer and that's probably why they ride so smooth and quiet. No, they I don't think they cut sharply like some Michelins do. Nor does my X5 handle well enough to exploit the Michelin advantage. Had my X5 had more sporting kit (specifically the Dynamic Handling Package), then Michelins, no doubt.
Yeah I have DHP and have plenty of curvy back roads, so I'm torn

I'm going to give the Contis a try though. Michs always force me to swap to winters earlier than I should need to, so maybe Contis will help balance that out also.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 02:08 AM   #6
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep
Drives: BLACK 2015 528I

Quote:
How does the handling compare against my Bridgestone h/p sport rft? I feel like these perform well on handling.
      08-27-2021, 03:59 PM   #7
HDEddie1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmansiddiqui95 View Post
How does the handling compare against my Bridgestone h/p sport rft? I feel like these perform well on handling.
I don’t have experience with the Bridgestones on your X5 so I can’t compare. My research was based on reviews onTireRack website and other users on this forum. Almost all the reviews like the Conti DWS for their comfort, quiet ride, all season capability, affordability, but some comment that they’re a little lacking in “handling”, most likely due to the soft sidewalls (compared to a RFT). It’s my opinion that “handling” is relative and subjective. I use my X5 as a utility and family hauler. While I have M Adaptive Suspension (electronic shocks) I don’t have the Dynamic Handling Package (pneumatic sway bars) which would greatly affect handling (flatter) so I’m never really able to press my X5 to sharp handling. It will never handle as well as some BMW sport. That said, the Continentals do have a (relative) quick steering response but the handling is quickly degraded partly due to the relative soft sidewalls but mostly because of my chassis set up. If you have the Dynamic Handing Package option (lucky you) and intend to upgrade your shocks and springs, then IMO you can improve the handling a bit but only within the limits of a SUV.
      08-27-2021, 04:11 PM   #8
HDEddie1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
Yeah I have DHP and have plenty of curvy back roads, so I'm torn

I'm going to give the Contis a try though. Michs always force me to swap to winters earlier than I should need to, so maybe Contis will help balance that out also.
I'm not sure if any "all season" tire is optimized for your area (Minn, I assume). That being said, if I had DHP I would jump on some Michelin Sport Plus, buys some tire cables, and enjoy them until the winter comes. Carve them roads
      08-31-2021, 03:58 PM   #9
X5Buell
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5 35D M sport

Quote:
As far as width look from the back. Do the Conti seem as “Fat “ looking as the run flat OE?
I have the OE Pilot run flats and love the fat tire look from the back. Some have said the conti seem to look narrow
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 06:00 PM   #10
Wardman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5d

Loved the Conti's, would change the Michelins back for them personally. I had to tinker :-(
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 12:55 PM   #11
HDEddie1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Dunlop vs Conti width?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5Buell View Post
As far as width look from the back. Do the Conti seem as “Fat “ looking as the run flat OE?
I have the OE Pilot run flats and love the fat tire look from the back. Some have said the conti seem to look narrow
I don't have a side by side comparison of the Dunlop and the new Contis. I checked Tire rack and they list both tires with the same sectional width, 12.6 in, and the tread width at 10.9in for the Conti and 11.5in for the Dunlop RFT. I can't notice any difference and I suspect that any tire on the 11 inch OEM 469M rim will be reasonably stretched so the perception of "fat" (i.e. bulging" sidewalls) would be not apparent in the profile. The tread width does make its width known. Quick pictures show my rears at 40psi on OEM wheels with15mm spacers. IMO doesn't look "fat" but looks does look wide from the rear.
Attached Images

Last edited by HDEddie1; 09-01-2021 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 09:34 PM   #12
stocktree
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5

Yeah. The dws06 don't look as fat as the Dunlop.
Appreciate 1
P111573.50
      09-03-2021, 07:33 AM   #13
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

For us running the 20inch setup, the DWS is the only decent & cost worthy option.
Appreciate 3
jmack1231300.50
DonJuan537.50
      09-04-2021, 12:37 AM   #14
X5Buell
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5 35D M sport

I just ordered the Michelin pilot sport All season 4 today. 6 weeks out due to ??? Issues. The DWS were in but I thought I’d try the Michelin
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 06:19 PM   #15
Keithwand
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 replaced 16 X5 6/22

I have the continental DWS tires that are staggered.
My right rear tire seems to flat spot overnight and I get a pretty decent wobble for the first few miles. Wondered at first because the car has 39,000 miles if it was an issue other than the tires but after driving a short distance it goes away.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 10:18 AM   #16
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Quote:
I just ordered the Michelin pilot sport All season 4 today. 6 weeks out due to ??? Issues. The DWS were in but I thought I'd try the Michelin
Nice but not really worth the cost on these as they will wear out so soon anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 06:26 PM   #17
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
That's the main reason I could never get them. They might be a fine tire, but the thread pattern turns me off and them not having that "fat block" look make them a pass for me.
Appreciate 1
jiggz2145.50
      09-08-2021, 02:00 PM   #18
MizikeTSK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 XDrive 50i MSport

Quote:
I just ordered the Michelin pilot sport All season 4 today. 6 weeks out due to ??? Issues. The DWS were in but I thought I’d try the Michelin
I did the same this past Monday but was told that it should be in come this Friday. It cost a little more so we'll see. I'll wait for more DWS Plus reviews to see if there is an improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman View Post
Nice but not really worth the cost on these as they will wear out so soon anyway.
Just curious if you speak from experience?