BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-23-2023, 05:28 PM   #89
Wardman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
Agreed - but, if they are not replacing the intake because of Racechip, then they should take that same stance with the EGR. By replacing the EGR and holding back on the intake, they are not adhering to the recall.

Not to mention the Recall and the remedy has been a year+ long process. Meaning the issue has been brewing for years prior.

So how do they prove the chip caused the issue while knowing the that defective EGRs are causing manifold damage across a production range.

I'd print that recall, highlight the remedy, put in front of the service manager and ask him where it states the dealer gets to decide what is replaced.
So I challenged them, told them the RaceChip only went in last week. The head of service called and said the Manifold passed the pressure tests and did not need to be replaced rather cleaned, but other valves that were stuck open did. I did see that error on my scanner. Even so, I'm no mechanic so hard to say what they are suggesting. They took $500 more off and I said do it. The X5d is a Nov 2014 > 2015 model with only 75K miles on it. I've seen the carbon in diesels from owing boats too.

What has me more chaffed is the poor service from the prior dealer. I won't go back. They claimed no parts for EGR, not avail, and that it was fixed/cleaned once all for $1500+. And said RC is the cause of the errors which it was not and my scanner showed.

I also asked if this was a Dinan, which they sell, would we be having the same conversation. They did not answer.

Lesson learned, take RC out for service. And does Manifold passing a pressure test sound like it could have been done?
Attached Images

Last edited by Wardman; 02-23-2023 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: pic added
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2023, 08:02 AM   #90
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

I'd ask them for detailed specifics around this servicing. The test procedure for pressurizing along with exact specifics of the "stuck valves" (which ones). Ask for those items to be added to your service sheet under the guise of being anal about the vehicles service history.

If the EGR is causing that coolant gunk buildup on the intake plenum, what's to say that same gunk didn't cause the "stuck valves" as well.

As crystalworks shared, very often they look for reason to deny claims and tilt the bill in their favor. BMW labor book time can be stingy for warranty work and the service techs know that. It's not a leap to believe they will add some additional services to help make the work profitable.

UPDATED: Check out this post on page 3. Service sheet indicates passing manifold pressure test and then shampooing intake vs. replacing. At least that confirms procedures are similar in the dealer network.

Also look at this post here to see if the stuck valve and thrown code matches to your case. This would prove that it should be included.

Last edited by Clifton; 02-24-2023 at 08:27 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2023, 08:53 AM   #91
Wardman
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'd ask them for detailed specifics around this servicing. The test procedure for pressurizing along with exact specifics of the "stuck valves" (which ones). Ask for those items to be added to your service sheet under the guise of being anal about the vehicles service history.

If the EGR is causing that coolant gunk buildup on the intake plenum, what's to say that same gunk didn't cause the "stuck valves" as well.

As crystalworks shared, very often they look for reason to deny claims and tilt the bill in their favor. BMW labor book time can be stingy for warranty work and the service techs know that. It's not a leap to believe they will add some additional services to help make the work profitable.

UPDATED: Check out this post on page 3. Service sheet indicates passing manifold pressure test and then shampooing intake vs. replacing. At least that confirms procedures are similar in the dealer network.

Also look at this post here to see if the stuck valve and thrown code matches to your case. This would prove that it should be included.
Thanks - will be checking. Appreciate the links too!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 08:09 AM   #92
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 40d M-sport

Is the recall VIN check site US specific? I get “Invalid VIN” when entering mine (not in the US).

Is there a technical bulletin or similar which I can discuss with my dealer?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 08:12 AM   #93
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDO View Post
Is the recall VIN check site US specific? I get “Invalid VIN” when entering mine (not in the US).

Is there a technical bulletin or similar which I can discuss with my dealer?
US based recall. BMW should do the right thing globally though. One of many reasons this will be my last new bmw after 24 years of ownership.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 01:49 AM   #94
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

Same recall (2nd for EGR Cooler) is ongoing in Europe as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 10:38 AM   #95
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 40d M-sport

Would appreciate if someone could post the TSB. I checked on BMW site and there are no outstanding campaigns on my VIN.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 02:05 PM   #96
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
US based recall. BMW should do the right thing globally though. One of many reasons this will be my last new bmw after 24 years of ownership.
I hear that.

I could never give up the brand though... but I don't buy new either. I've tried owning many brands, and driven most, but can't find anything that drives like a well sorted Bimmer.

We got the wife's X5 back from service on Saturday. No more CEL, they took care of the EGR recall and the diesel particulate sensor that had failed under the extended emissions warranty. So that was nice. Rare to walk out of BMW service dept with no bill. They did diag my other code and wanted $2860 to replace the transfer pump on the passive DEF tank. Told them no thank you to that. Part is $480 and I'll replace it at some point.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 10:22 AM   #97
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
I could never give up the brand though... but I don't buy new either. I've tried owning many brands, and driven most, but can't find anything that drives like a well sorted Bimmer.
Amen to that! German cars definitely have a soul. When the time comes replace my X5d, I'll just hit you up and buy from your fleet. ;-)

Glad to hear your dealer surgery went well. I'm due for both recalls, EGR and HPFP, but fear I'll leave the dealer with new problems, broken tabs and missing fasteners. Uhg....

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 09:14 PM   #98
Wardman
Lieutenant
Rep

6 days back and P0401 code popped again. permanent error with insufficient air flow on EGR. I'm going to call the shop again, but any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 07:07 AM   #99
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardman View Post
6 days back and P0401 code popped again. permanent error with insufficient air flow on EGR. I'm going to call the shop again, but any thoughts?

Lots of info and even videos if you search ‘P0401 BMW’. Essentially the EGR valve may be faulty or may not be opening due to a lack of vacuum.

With this being a new EGR, probably safe to assume it’s not getting airflow due to possible carbon buildup, bad/disconnected vacuum line and/or faulty solenoid that controls the vacuum.

Translation - dealer probably rushed the job and it needs to go back in.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 05:58 PM   #100
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDO View Post
Would appreciate if someone could post the TSB. I checked on BMW site and there are no outstanding campaigns on my VIN.
https://www.tsbsearch.com/BMW/SI-B11-10-21

Got mine completed on Friday.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 03:15 PM   #101
Wardman
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Lots of info and even videos if you search ‘P0401 BMW’. Essentially the EGR valve may be faulty or may not be opening due to a lack of vacuum.

With this being a new EGR, probably safe to assume it’s not getting airflow due to possible carbon buildup, bad/disconnected vacuum line and/or faulty solenoid that controls the vacuum.

Translation - dealer probably rushed the job and it needs to go back in.
They had it for a week, and the code did not pop. I got it back, under 100miles and less than 24 hours and it popped again. They are picking it up in the morning. I want to keep the X5, but this stuff does drive me nuts....
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 12:04 PM   #102
JamesInSJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Just had this completed. Have DUDMD Stage 1 tuning, but that didn't matter to anyone. They even took care of my 2BB300 error (particulate sensor) without any fanfare despite tuning too.

Here is the EGR work completed. I was surprised by the number of part replacements.

B111021 Recall: Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Cooler - N57T
Low Temperature
Cause:
Correction: REMOVED AND REPLACED EGR COOLER AS PER SIB 111021
Part Number Part Description
BM11-71-7-822-346 EXHAUST GAS BM
BM11-71-8-490-640 AGR SMALL PA BM
BM11-71-7-799-853 PIPE UNION BMMISA
BM61-13-1-369-832 HOLDER BMSA
BM11-61-8-512-504 O-RING BMSA
BM11-14-8-490-569 ACOUSTIC COV BMSA
BM11-53-7-827-842 COOLANT HOSE BM
BM11-53-7-827-410 LINE EGR RAD BM
BM11-65-8-595-650 VACUUM HOSE BMSA
BM82-14-1-467-704 ANTIFREEZE BCBMSA
Appreciate 2
      03-16-2023, 07:48 PM   #103
Variante Alta
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d M Sport Metallic Whit

Mine was pretty much the same (parts) - hope this is the last one I need. I’d like to keep this car for an extended period of time and have done some work to avoid some common diesel issues. I suppose if it fails again without warranty it can be blocked off. They’re great cars but with some Achilles heels that require management.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 06:43 PM   #104
JamesInSJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I hear that.

We got the wife's X5 back from service on Saturday. No more CEL, they took care of the EGR recall and the diesel particulate sensor that had failed under the extended emissions warranty. So that was nice. Rare to walk out of BMW service dept with no bill. They did diag my other code and wanted $2860 to replace the transfer pump on the passive DEF tank. Told them no thank you to that. Part is $480 and I'll replace it at some point.
WOW...identical experiences, except I didn't have the transfer pump problem. I was afraid they wouldn't help me with the sensor because of my stage 1 tune (all emissions systems intact) but they took care of it no problem and didn't even push for a diagnostic fee in advance since I had provided a note with the code, my software version, and the TSB number ready to address it.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 09:46 AM   #105
BlueYonder
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 35d

I had the recall performed and shortly after got a check engine light for P26B1 Engine Coolant Bypass Valve Stuck Closed. They also tell me I have a leaking Oil Filter Gasket. Any chance either of these is related to the EGR cooler replacement?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 11:29 AM   #106
JamesInSJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueYonder View Post
I had the recall performed and shortly after got a check engine light for P26B1 Engine Coolant Bypass Valve Stuck Closed. They also tell me I have a leaking Oil Filter Gasket. Any chance either of these is related to the EGR cooler replacement?
Oil filter gasket - no. That's a very common problem on BMW gas engines since at least the N52 in the 2000s (I have an E83 X3 too), but I haven't heard it happening as much on the N57 but wouldn't surprise me. I'm at 104k and no leaks except a little showing around the CCV hose now so I have to swap that (already have the TME one in hand: https://www.tunemyeuro.com/ccv-hose-...-335d-aar2238/)

Since EGR hoses are changed with the recall and coolant connected items are involved, it wouldn't surprise me if the bypass valve issue is related.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 12:30 PM   #107
BlueYonder
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 35d

The dealer says neither are related to the recall. $3200 to fix everything (ouch!)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 11:35 AM   #108
Wardman
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesInSJ View Post
WOW...identical experiences, except I didn't have the transfer pump problem. I was afraid they wouldn't help me with the sensor because of my stage 1 tune (all emissions systems intact) but they took care of it no problem and didn't even push for a diagnostic fee in advance since I had provided a note with the code, my software version, and the TSB number ready to address it.
Who's stage 1 tune are you using? My RaceChip is throwing errors and I'm done troubleshooting it. I think it is the issue, when plugged in it sends "EGR - insufficient airflow". But with it disconnected now, no errors. We could get the CEL to fire within minutes of driving it when they had the X5d for about 10 days.

Thx!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 10:03 PM   #109
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Well, shortly after getting the EGR recall completed we got a 2c2200 CEL. Of course. Have been ignoring it, I know, I know... I feel bad about it too. Will take it back in to the dealer when we get back from a trip this next weekend. Would have taken it in earlier but wanted to replace the DEF transfer pump before hand and just got that done last weekend.

It seems fairly common for ppl to get EGR related (changeover valve) codes shortly after getting the recall performed. We never had EGR codes before doing so. Is this something dealerships are likely to take care of? If not, not a huge issue. I'll pay the diag, swear under my breath, and order the necessary parts. Is what it is... I've lived the BMW life long enough to know how these things usually play out.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2023, 12:03 PM   #110
MaverikDS
Rep
Drives: 14 X5 35d; 16 GLE 300d

2C2200

Quote:
Well, shortly after getting the EGR recall completed we got a 2c2200 CEL. Of course. Have been ignoring it, I know, I know... I feel bad about it too. Will take it back in to the dealer when we get back from a trip this next weekend. Would have taken it in earlier but wanted to replace the DEF transfer pump before hand and just got that done last weekend.

It seems fairly common for ppl to get EGR related (changeover valve) codes shortly after getting the recall performed. We never had EGR codes before doing so. Is this something dealerships are likely to take care of? If not, not a huge issue. I'll pay the diag, swear under my breath, and order the necessary parts. Is what it is... I've lived the BMW life long enough to know how these things usually play out.
The same thing is happening to us. Got the recall done and had CEL light on in the parking lot when I picked it up from the recall. I started the car, saw this and plugged in my reader before even shifting to drive. Went inside and talked to them and was told the recall didn’t cover the sensor throwing the code and that they had cleared it but then it came back on during their test drive. I ordered the new sensor and had it installed. Error light came back on. Ordered the rear sensor and had it installed. Error codes still on. I had both sensors done at my normal mechanic, not the dealer. Went back to dealer to ask them what was going on and try to heavily imply I feel it’s their responsibility as it occurred with the recall service. I believe they just had egr replaced as their inspection said nothing else was needed.

The latest is that they believe their is a ground error with that sensor but it’s weird because that shares a ground with a number of other components that are not having any issues. Now they want to let my car sit until next Wednesday when a technical engineer is coming to them anyway and the tech wants his help in diagnosing what is happening. I was asked to allow $5-600 in diagnosing it and if they can prove that it was from the recall they will not charge me but need my permission to work on the diagnosis. Then another car came in with the same code. A 2018 x5 so they are going to try and split the diag fee between us if the other owner agrees. I’m frustrated and can accept if it is a freak timing coincidence that this is happening at the same time as the recall but really wish that it wasn’t a weeks long issue to have no idea still. If you are able to get 2c2200 figured out please pass along what you did. From another post online I’ve found it says that they should check the changeover valve to see if it is functioning. I believe that was on an F10 but still worth mentioning probably. I would like to think that both my normal mechanic as well as the dealer would have taken 5 minutes to google this or known to check that but I figure I’ll pass that along to them now as well. Best of luck to both of us…
Appreciate 0