BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

03-20-2016, 11:12 PM   #89
Ninjaoz
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E39 540i, E90 320d,F15 30d

Garage List
2011 BMW 320d  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
From what i remember the CF diffuser follows the oem bumper's shape exactly where the tow hitch would go so if you don't have to cut the bumper at all then I wouldn't imagine the diffuser getting in the way. If you do have to trim the oem bumper then that means you would need to trim the diffuser as well.

Alan
Yes Alan is right. The CF diffuser is compatible with F15 X5 fitted with a tow hitch. Here is a quick photo I took
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 03:27 PM   #90
Z3grape
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaoz View Post
Yes Alan is right. The CF diffuser is compatible with F15 X5 fitted with a tow hitch. Here is a quick photo I took
can you please post the pic with a trailer hitch--which hitch are you using?
      03-27-2016, 01:47 PM   #91
seanyo
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

For the guys using VHB to install the front lip, do you have a little flex and separation (just a little movement) towards the 2 inner peaks if you push down on the open middle section to simulate down force or is it solid all the time?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 05:16 PM   #92
Bigb348
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyo View Post
For the guys using VHB to install the front lip, do you have a little flex and separation (just a little movement) towards the 2 inner peaks if you push down on the open middle section to simulate down force or is it solid all the time?
In my experience using both vhb(former)
and betalink(latter) the vhb I did notice that with pressure the lip did show some flexibility and could see a seam while applying pressure. I found the vhb extremely finicky. It took me no less than 4 times pulling the lip off and Re doing it to get it to my liking. Unfortunately after having work done on my bumper, the shop removed the lip that took me so long to get perfect and when they put it back on, it wasn't properly adhered and a month later after some spirited driving, I was dragging my lip on the asphalt. Needless to say, I replaced and now use betalink epoxy. Pros: Much more wiggle room when fitting to bumper vs vhb, rock solid bond.
Cons: Can be messy if too much used, will be extremely difficult to remove if lip gets damaged, etc and u want to take off/replace.

Just my 2¢
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 08:44 AM   #93
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigb348 View Post
In my experience using both vhb(former)
and betalink(latter) the vhb I did notice that with pressure the lip did show some flexibility and could see a seam while applying pressure. I found the vhb extremely finicky. It took me no less than 4 times pulling the lip off and Re doing it to get it to my liking. Unfortunately after having work done on my bumper, the shop removed the lip that took me so long to get perfect and when they put it back on, it wasn't properly adhered and a month later after some spirited driving, I was dragging my lip on the asphalt. Needless to say, I replaced and now use betalink epoxy. Pros: Much more wiggle room when fitting to bumper vs vhb, rock solid bond.
Cons: Can be messy if too much used, will be extremely difficult to remove if lip gets damaged, etc and u want to take off/replace.

Just my 2¢
Mine has some flex with VHB but still rock solid so far after a year. With VHB prep work and temperature is extremely important. The tape needs to be heated up for it to be super sticky. When i did my lip it was nice warm day as is but i still used a heat gun to get it even more tacky. After its applied i noticed maximum bond isn't achieved for at least a few days. Its like the tape will harden slightly which is where it becomes the strongest. I had a 3D Design front lip on my 550 that was attached with just VHB tape as well. Let me tell you pulling that off was no easy task. I had to heat it up and even then pulling it up felt like i was about to rip the paint off the bumper.

My main reason for not using betalink is exactly what you said. The way I see it, its only a matter a time before i damage the front or rear lip or someone else damage it for me so being able to remove it cleanly was my main concern. Its going to be nearly impossible to do with betalink and yes its very messy stuff.

Alan
      03-28-2016, 09:33 AM   #94
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

My front lip with VHB installed also has a slight flex.. But so does my bumper when pressed hard enough. With the correct preparations the installation is pretty solid.
      03-28-2016, 10:27 AM   #95
seanyo
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Thanks for the additional info guys! I installed mine over the weekend with VHB and it all seemed solid with just a little play in the middle. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me. I guess only time will tell. I agree with you Alan that eventually it will get messed up and need to be replaced so rather then need to do a bunch of repairs to the bumper after trying to remove the betalink you can just replace the lip.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 08:08 PM   #96
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 Comp BGM / Sahkir

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd
This kit makes the car imo
Looks awesome - where can I purchase this kit? It's carbon fiber? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 12:59 PM   #97
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quote:

Alan
Alan,

Thanks for all of the useful info! I want to do this to my X5 M-Sport, as well. I am new to the forum and looking to upgrade the look of my front end, including hole plugs since I don't have a need for the front plates, anymore, in Arizona.

OBTW, where did you get those horizontal silver items (guide rods??) separating the blacked out intake vents?

They look awesome and visually cuts the big black hole of the partially-functioning openings! An added plus to a great front lip!

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 02:23 PM   #98
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Contact Ben from this forum. RGsport.com

Those silver moldings are from a X5 M50D not sold here but Ben keeps them in stock.

Alan
      08-05-2016, 08:24 AM   #99
ClubbyX5M50d
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaoz
Quote:
From what i remember the CF diffuser follows the oem bumper's shape exactly where the tow hitch would go so if you don't have to cut the bumper at all then I wouldn't imagine the diffuser getting in the way. If you do have to trim the oem bumper then that means you would need to trim the diffuser as well.

Alan
Would you mind posting a pic with tow bar & diffuser.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 09:47 AM   #100
bjeremi
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 5.0

Thanks so much for the info in this thread. Will be tackling this project over the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 08:49 PM   #101
Installsplus
Ultimate Driving Machine E92ESS625 M3/G05 X5 Msport 40i Individual
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT/ESS 625 kit

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post
This kit makes the car imo
This looks amazing. Just picked one up for my wife. M3 is max out with mods so need to start playing with the X5. Let me know if u have anything for sale. Spacers is what I really want for now. Also live in Toronto. Great job!!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 10:30 AM   #102
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
For all you guys who used VHP to install the front splitter, how is it holding up after a couple winters? I've seen pictures of the splitter completely impacted with snow/slush and was wondering if the flex mentioned earlier became an issue?

Did anyone consider using betalink to install the brackets and then VHP for the splitter itself? Would that make it easier to remove in the future (of needed) or is it just a waste of time?
      03-16-2017, 11:05 AM   #103
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzy View Post
For all you guys who used VHP to install the front splitter, how is it holding up after a couple winters? I've seen pictures of the splitter completely impacted with snow/slush and was wondering if the flex mentioned earlier became an issue?

Did anyone consider using betalink to install the brackets and then VHP for the splitter itself? Would that make it easier to remove in the future (of needed) or is it just a waste of time?
The brackets are drilled into the bumper so that plus 3m tape there makes that very sturdy. Almost impossible to rip off already so i don't see the benefit of using betalink there.

The questionable area is where the spoiler meets the bracket. People really do need to sand and wipe down the bracket/spoiler before adding the 3M tape there. Sanding is critical for the tape to adhere to the Carbon and smooth plastic. What you could do is add a very thin bead of betalink on the edge of the bracket (side closer to the ground) while using 3M VHB tape on the upper section if you want it to be extra secure but not end up using a ton of betalink making it super messy and impossible to remove. This would minimize any 'oozing' of betalink when you push the spoiler up against the bracket since you only have a small thin bead of it on the lower section.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 12:46 PM   #104
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Two winters in northern NJ and it's holding up fine.
      03-21-2017, 05:39 PM   #105
yongsanghoon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
The brackets are drilled into the bumper so that plus 3m tape there makes that very sturdy. Almost impossible to rip off already so i don't see the benefit of using betalink there.

The questionable area is where the spoiler meets the bracket. People really do need to sand and wipe down the bracket/spoiler before adding the 3M tape there. Sanding is critical for the tape to adhere to the Carbon and smooth plastic. What you could do is add a very thin bead of betalink on the edge of the bracket (side closer to the ground) while using 3M VHB tape on the upper section if you want it to be extra secure but not end up using a ton of betalink making it super messy and impossible to remove. This would minimize any 'oozing' of betalink when you push the spoiler up against the bracket since you only have a small thin bead of it on the lower section.
Hey Alan, I'm looking to install my CF front lip and rear diffuser here soon, but a little hesitant to drill holes. I'm going to use 3M VHB tape, but was wondering if this + using the existing screws for the brackets will be enough to hold it in place?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 09:15 AM   #106
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

I wouldn't suggest it. The area where the brackets attaches to existing holes is only used for positioning. Once its positioned correctly you break off the tabs that mounts to the existing holes on the body. That means if you don't drill you are relying only on the tape to hold everything together. Personally i wouldn't trust it.

For the rear its the same deal and you can't really secure the bracket to the bumper with just tape due to the under side of the bracket being recessed. Its not a flat surface so you have very minimal contact points to the bumper if you don't drill.
      03-22-2017, 02:44 PM   #107
yongsanghoon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't suggest it. The area where the brackets attaches to existing holes is only used for positioning. Once its positioned correctly you break off the tabs that mounts to the existing holes on the body. That means if you don't drill you are relying only on the tape to hold everything together. Personally i wouldn't trust it.

For the rear its the same deal and you can't really secure the bracket to the bumper with just tape due to the under side of the bracket being recessed. Its not a flat surface so you have very minimal contact points to the bumper if you don't drill.
Thanks for the response. What size did you use for your drill bit and self-tapping screws?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 02:51 PM   #108
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

I don't remember but the parts came with self tapping screws.

Alan
      03-22-2017, 03:22 PM   #109
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yongsanghoon View Post
Thanks for the response. What size did you use for your drill bit and self-tapping screws?
Check out the front page. THere is also a pdf file on installation instructions. It is very straight forward.
      03-22-2017, 10:02 PM   #110
yongsanghoon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yongsanghoon View Post
Check out the front page. THere is also a pdf file on installation instructions. It is very straight forward.
Thanks Kzang, that's exactly what I did
Appreciate 0